Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 13th May 2016, 07:56   #1
Fumbling_Foo

New preset / mashup with ORB & Flexi code - Star Forge

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here. Milkdrop has some of my favorite music visualizations by far, and I am getting my toes wet into making presets with the awesome mashup feature. As a newbie to preset making as well, I hope that I have cited my sources properly in making this preset.

ORB's Acid Cycle Gas Giant mesmerized me, and I wondered what if I could capture that beautiful waveform and emphasize it. Well, when fiddling around with some mashups, I found Flexi's "Infused with the spiral," and its warp shader worked perfectly to do this. With a couple more lines of code from more of ORB's work, I can to realize beyond my wildest dreams an ideal I had for a brightly-themed preset - a star. Hence, the name.

The preset works optimally at 30fps at 2560 x 1440, but I've included a version for 1920 x 1080 as well.

Enjoy!

Edit: sometimes the visual gets a bit color averaged out by one of the processing filters. Lower resolutions can intensify this artifact. I wish I could fix this and keep the effect but I'm not sure how.

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 13th May 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Unfinished post
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 00:54   #2
Fumbling_Foo

v2

Revised version with improved beat detection and visuals.

Edit: This version, although it still does have different "management" of the fire at different resolutions, works best around and above 1080p.
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo, ORB, Flexi - Star Forge v2.milk (11.2 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 23rd May 2016 at 01:02. Reason: more info
Old 24th May 2016, 13:54   #3
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello Fumbling_Foo,

I have just downloaded also Your newest .milk-file. The previous 2 .milk-files are very good, and I am sure, also this one will be very good.

We are true fans of the Winamp Player and the Milkdrop Visualizer, and with the newest preset I will have 9771 presets in the presets folder. Also I have now 3948 random textures and 2609 Winamp Skins in use, with 1.94 GB of my Winamp folder, for my perfect performances. I use 22 subfolders in my Milkdrop2 folder, because I use also images for some Modern Skins, wallpaperscprokao has 650 .jpg-files and wallpapersdesktop has 480 .jpg-files now.

We both want to hope, that we can see the Milkdrop Visualizer also in the future.

Although I didn't see the newest preset yet, I want to say already: Keep up Your good work!...

BTW, the current monitor for my PC has 1920x1200 pixel, and the display of my current notebook has 1600x900 pixel.

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 20:19   #4
Fumbling_Foo

Thanks for the compliments Klare and sorry about the delay, I wanted to wait until I had v3 ready! WOW, that's a lot of presets. I only have the stock presets to draw from currently, as unfortunately when I try the http://www.milkdrop.co.uk/ website all I get is a page image of an erased chalkboard.

And, without further ado, attached is Star Forge v3, MASSIVELY overhauled after extensive testing. Its now extremely psychedelic and may not be safe for viewers with epilepsy. The preset should hopefully look the same with different resolutions and settings. I hope everyone enjoys . Live strong milkdrop!
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v3.milk (20.0 KB, 262 views)
Old 28th June 2016, 14:06   #5
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

If the newest one is in the presets folder this evening, then these will be 9881 presets, together with 4020 textures in the textures folder and 2620 skins in the skins folder. And then I have to run again the Winamp Info Tool and update again on Mediafire in the following days, which I do for the promotions...

Don't worry about me, I have NO epilepsy, only many depressions because Frank and I are attacked so much with problems. But I can relax very well, if I am on the couch with the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro headphones and if I have Winamp running on my notebook. On my PC sometimes I do the editings of presets after doing the right-click on the icon and "Start as administrator", also I update the lists with the Winamp Info Tool there.

Today I have Classical Music running in the meeting-point. Mostly I listen to Ambient Dub and Dub Techno, which is the perfect music for the Milkdrop Visualizer, the best music visualizer in this world, together with the best media player...

Old 13th July 2016, 21:25   #6
Fumbling_Foo

I hate to hear that you have to deal with depression, but I also suffer from depression with having schizo-affective disorder. Perhaps a little creativity is coming along with my madness, hehe. I wish you well with your depression, cheers m8 .

You must have a very nice setup going with those DT-990 , I'm an audiophile as well and I have a pair of T-90's myself. Its unfortunate that my amplifier went out and I'm using computer audio, but hopefully I'll be able to afford one that I've been eyeing up for a while.

Working on Star Forge and witnessing its evolution has been very exciting, and now I can say that I have accomplished what I have sought for the preset. Building upon the refinements of previous versions, v4 features corrected magenta dominance and greatly upgraded visuals, full screen area utilization, greater employment of martin's beat detection, and greater overall dynamics.

I don't have any plans for a version 5 at this point, but authoring presets has been very fun and I may continue on other ideas. Thanks to everyone who's checked out my presets .
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v4.milk (21.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 15th July 2016, 16:50   #7
Fumbling_Foo

I've attached are some of my favorite screenshots from various builds. Results will vary based on the music played. I've also uploaded a slightly tweaked version that subtly improves upon the center design and the presence of the outer ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v4n7-16.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	52464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v4n7-44.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	52468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v4n9-07.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	52469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v4n9-12.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	52470  
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v4a.milk (21.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 16th July 2016, 14:41   #8
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

And then as next v4b...

I have downloaded also the screenshots. And this evening I will have again the URL "linein://" running and my .wav-files with my spoken words in Goldwave as backward versions. I had recorded me via a microphone some days ago...

Old 7th August 2016, 16:58   #9
Fumbling_Foo

That sounds cool Kare, hopefully my preset looked pretty cool and went with the audio hehe .

And now, at long last, I present a significantly revised v4, Star Forge v5 . More colorful yet better defined, punchier yet more balanced, more dynamic yet smoother and still consistent, v5, although sharing the look of v4, is improved overall in several ways. In short, if you've liked v4, you will LOVE v5.

Unlike many other presets that look awesome but simply react to the beat in a one-note fashion, Star Forge v5 is now a beast that devours music. Although Star Forge won't transform into a flaming unicorn galloping across a heavenly rainbow, from gospel to death metal and everything in-between, v5 will still be a treat because it tenaciously grips the soul of the song and transforms it into pure eye candy. V5, like v4, can even better provide literally a movie of unique, screenshot-worthy frames, and its even more impressive in motion with music.

Edit: Could a mod help me change the topic title to "New Preset with martin's beat detection - Star Forge"?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v4r5-23.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	52505  
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v5.milk (22.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: zip SF Screens 1.zip (1.94 MB, 177 views)
File Type: zip SF Screens 2.zip (1.61 MB, 139 views)
File Type: zip SF Screens 3.zip (1.68 MB, 134 views)

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 7th August 2016 at 18:18.
Old 9th August 2016, 15:39   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello Fumbling_Foo,

I have just downloaded them.

And yesterday I had my 50th birthday, and You can imagine, that I had also very good music running in Winamp. No birthday without Winamp...

Of course I saw also some of Your presets, when I had all presets in Shuffle Mode. This evening these will be 9887 Milkdrop Presets (one more preset)...

Old 14th August 2016, 14:24   #11
j303

Hi,
NEw user here looking for some interesting presets to add to my collection. For some reason I can't access your attachment. All I get is a 403 Forbidden error. Can't seem to find any reasons why, does someone form the admin side need to activate something? OR do I need to make a couple of posts firsts perhaps?
j303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 06:21   #12
Fumbling_Foo

Hi j303 , welcome to the forums and thank you so much for taking an interest in my work .

I just tested downloading a couple of the latest attachments (incl. the v5 .milk) and no issues on this end. This is the first time I've heard of an error downloading attachments here, so hopefully its a transient issue as it should be possible to download attachments without being signed in as well.

Edit: also check out the preset bundle topic I just posted. I've had a chance to scope out a few of the presets and some are quite spectacular.

Edit 2: Oh, and happy belated 50th birthday Klare . Having you keep my company on the forums has help keep me going on the starforge project. Many thanks !
Old 15th August 2016, 07:43   #13
j303

Thanks for the welcome and getting back to me

Unfortunately I can't get the attachments to work in any browser so perhaps something is broken on the forum side (for new users). You wouldn't mind posting (or sending in pm) a dropbox link or something similar?
j303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 09:04   #14
Fumbling_Foo

PM Sent
Old 17th August 2016, 02:23   #15
Fumbling_Foo

Its been very fun working on Star Forge, especially to see how much I've been able to develop it from the original concept, but I must admit that I'm starting to get a bit burned out with preset authoring . For me to develop the preset any further would be extremely difficult, because I still don't understand enough about how the code works to do 3D effects or introduce another layer of processing to the warp shader / per vertex.

Nevertheless, that's all fine and well though, because although I came here as a total newbie, the amount of effort I've put into this one preset shows. I never really liked going "wow" at a preset for 30 or so seconds and then shuffling to the next during the same song; instead, I searched for presets that would entertain for at least the whole song. So, that is the inspiration for Star Forge, and the latest update caps off the preset as a unique masterpiece. At least among the default presets, its the only one that my family and I have been able to watch for even hours at a time and never get bored, and its the only one I've seen where you can take literally hundreds of screenshots and every single one be beautiful and unique. So, I must also admit that I am proud to have made Star Forge. With milkdrop2, even a newbie can make a masterpiece with enough time and effort .

The latest revision has been solid for about a couple of weeks, so there probably won't be any core updates to Star Forge in the near future. I have attached the update with a couple of finishing touches on the preset, along with a couple of comp shader variations from the default preset "Flexi, martin + geiss - dedicated to the sherwin maxawow". So, as always, enjoy .

I also have some mashups and edits lying around, but if I'm not completely burnt out on preset authoring I should continue with those and perhaps find another project to start.

Edit: j303 found that if the preset doesn't work, try removing these lines from the beginning of the file:

MILKDROP_PRESET_VERSION=201
PSVERSION=2
PSVERSION_WARP=2
PSVERSION_COMP=2

Although, when I removed them myself the warp shader didn't apply.
Old 17th August 2016, 14:39   #16
Fumbling_Foo

Really annoyed that I have only 15 minutes to edit a post but I'd say in looking back and second-guessing myself as I did with v4a, v5a is unfortunately a slight step backwards from v5 unfortunately and I wouldn't necessarily bother with v5a. It's really hard comparing the two but overall, v5a is a bit muddled compared to v5 because the warp shader is slowed down a bit too much.

Again, thanks everyone for making it here from the original vPub version . Getting from there to here has mainly been tons of tiny guess n' check changes.
Old 17th August 2016, 15:38   #17
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Weren't that 3 hours for editing a post, at least in the past? And in the first hour nobody had seen, that I had edited a post. Sometimes I discover a typo, for example on the next day, and typos make me so unperfect...

I have downloaded the 3 new presets. And of course I had checked some codes of some other presets with Notepad++, and I know the first 4 lines for the Milkdrop 2 Presets. I am not a professional preset author, but I make photos, photo edits and artwork.

But I am still frustrated, that my own preset edits don't work for the other user. I wish, I wouldn't have posted them in Nitorami's thread. In my both Winamps on my PC & notebook they work. But another downloaded single preset from one of the forums threads (posted in 2015) causes a Winamp Crash on my both computers with 2 different graphic cards, and I had updated the graphic driver for NVIDIA on my PC. But for the other users it works without problems. I don't know, what is different with my own computers...

Old 19th August 2016, 22:23   #18
Fumbling_Foo

I don't know of any solid solutions, but have you checked to make sure that you're using default settings? I use default settings in winamp / milkdrop and luckily haven't had issues with presets not working.
Old 20th August 2016, 07:59   #19
Fumbling_Foo

Youtube video and quicke shader hotfix

I never realized that the preset was using an older shader version. This update may possibly resolve compiler issues some users have been having.

The demo video will be at:

https://youtu.be/FvZ10lI3V3M
Old 20th August 2016, 13:12   #20
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have found in the codes the following:

MaxPSVersion=-1

I never changed the Pixel Shader, it should be by default, although sometimes I had configured Milkdrop 2. Here I have the current version with the content of my 3 configuration files on my PC with the date from 15th May.

Maybe I should ask You, if my edited versions in Post #281 on http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=295412&page=8 work for You together with the images from my single post http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=279 and the other .jpg-file moss1.jpg... If not, then there is really something different with my PC & notebook. Your other 10 presets work, and I am sure, that also the newest one will work.

In 3 and 4 days I will stop by again, before my longer absence will follow. Then I cannot answer anymore for a while.

BTW, currently I am on 9890 presets, 4320 textures, 650 images in wallpaperscprokao, 740 images in wallpapersdesktop and 2620 skins. And for making new photos in the nature for the textures folder we have the Summer yet...
Attached Files
File Type: txt sprites_and_custom_messages_extended.txt (43.5 KB, 124 views)

Old 24th August 2016, 15:48   #21
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am on 9903 presets and 4328 textures now, and also the 11th preset works fine.

I want to leave 2 .zip-folders for You, after I had discovered, that IrfanView lists all files. Of course I cannot play the presets and skins in the IrfanView Slideshow, but the slideshow playlists as .txt-files are very useful for reading them. One .zip-folder contains the playlists, the other one contains the other .txt-files.

Soon I will be in the hospital at day. I can sleep at home, but I can stop by in the forums only rarely...
Attached Files
File Type: zip documentations_by_sabineklare_2016-08-21.zip (279.5 KB, 444 views)
File Type: zip SlideshowsIrfanView_by_sabineklare_2016-08-23.zip (407.1 KB, 136 views)

Old 29th August 2016, 17:50   #22
Fumbling_Foo

I will upload v6 later today, its ready but is over at the other house.

Where do I start, Klare ? Your documentations upload is an incredible resource of authoring and other information, and your journal entry is truly moving , and I am honored that you shared it in my topic .

You're in the prime of your life with yet more youth to continue, yet speak of a journey through the Universe (I quite fancy religious perspectives like yours BTW ) and face extended hospital visits . I wish you the best of luck and health . Cheers, m8 .
Old 30th August 2016, 15:45   #23
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You, Fumbling_Foo...

I am downloading right now a new album by Vytis (Silver Field Records), good music, although I will have less time for listening to Ambient Dub & Dub Techno soon. In 2 days my full-time-therapy against depressions, fears, panic attacks, pain in my whole body, sickness, weakness and more will start. But maybe I can come on Saturday. And I am sure, I will find the next presets.

Keep up Your good work!...

Old 3rd September 2016, 13:21   #24
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello Fumbling_Foo,

I want to leave 2 of my own threads for You, which have to do nothing with Milkdrop, but explain a little bit more about my own stories, "How much trouble can a person tolerate without breaking down?" and "It is terrible to lose the parents"...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=351718
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=378065

But I have stopped by again also in Nitorami's thread http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=295412&page=8 ...

BTW, currently I am not able to load Mediafire and update my packs documentations, mossleaves, texturesinuse and wallpaperscprokao (only with my own works). Of course one of the jpg-files has to be mossleavesbysabineklare5red050.jpg and not mossleavesbysabineklare5red.jpg, but mistakes can happen, if I am disturbed by something while I save and name files...

Old 23rd September 2016, 12:20   #25
Fumbling_Foo

I didn't specify the changes in v6, so...

V5 and V6 have basically been the same preset as v4, but revised with subtle changes in appearance. V6 is an enhancement of color, not necessarily giving more color but instead mixing colors in more combinations. V6a is a finalized version of Star Forge. Unless I can add some kind of design to blend in with the preset, there's really not much I can do at this point to enhance the preset. The only thing new in this revision is that it does cool things and provides "wow" moments a bit more often. This version is a revision mainly of the outer ring, which has a lot to do with how the preset looks overall. There will be more activity in the periphery, a modest improvement in clarity, and overall more consistent, "cohesive" / "symphonic" presentation.

However, I believe V6 was more of a lateral than vertical change, so I've uploaded also "v5b," which is simply one line of code in the warp shader commented away from v6a.

BTW, hope you are feeling better, Klare .

Like my avatar? Check out my Star Forge preset project .
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:39   #26
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You, Fumbling_Foo, I hope the same also for You.

This weekend I have to rest. Also my body is not okay, and next week the next examinations will follow, after this week I had been sent to the other station of the hospital. Especially the pain in my breast has increased, and I want to be sure, that it is not my heart.

I have a shorter time in the meeting-point today. I will logout now and come again next week.

But of course I want to see Your new presets...

Old 29th September 2016, 20:13   #27
Fumbling_Foo

Get well soon Mrs. Klare , hope you've been able to enjoy my presets and for that matter presets period .

I have the best version yet of star forge today; the adagio or "at a slow tempo" version is a good improvement. Its kinda like the "tamed" version but the changes are implemented better so that the speed is more variable and follows the music better. The center circle shouldn't flicker any more and the patterns it produces both have more time to develop and mesh better with the overall appearance of the preset, making for a very I guess "trippy" version . If there will be a v7 (was thinking of calling this version v7, but meh), it'll most likely be based on this version. So, star forge still wasn't final with v6a and has (hopefully) gotten better .

Edit: Got some insanely beautiful screenshots of THIS version to share
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v7a2-04.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	642.8 KB
ID:	52667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v7a2-05.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	52668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v7a2-06.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	823.4 KB
ID:	52669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v7a2-10.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	807.3 KB
ID:	52670  
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v6 adagio.milk (22.6 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 29th September 2016 at 21:58.
Old 30th September 2016, 15:44   #28
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You, Fumbling_Foo. It seems to be my stomach, and I got a new medicine. I have to take the pills each day for a longer time.

Tomorrow I want to stop by again.

Of course I enjoyed the new presets and the next presets will follow. And this weekend I will play again Ambient Dub & Dub Techno...

Old 1st October 2016, 21:58   #29
Fumbling_Foo

Ya had me worried there, hopefully the medicine will clear up any stomach problems .

I must say, I'm quite disappointed that I can't edit my first post and put all of my star forge versions there in a zip file. My first version, very underdeveloped, has over 110 downloads, and not all of them seem to be trickling down to the latest versions so they aren't getting to see my current best work. I admit its kinda messy the way I've posted the versions, with all the v4a's 5a's 6a's etc. Thanks for sticking through the long-haul, Klare .

Now, already I have an updated adagio version, which seems to be consistently delivering more beautiful visuals. I'll cross my fingers and hope this isn't another flip-flop of mine.

Edit: Note, the adagio versions, although prefixed as v6, are actually based on v6a, so 6a wasn't a flip flop .

Old 2nd October 2016, 12:19   #30
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
It is normal that the number of downloads drops massively with the depth in the thread. I don't know whether people are just too lazy to scroll down, or whether the high number of downloads in the initial post is just dominated by robots from search engines or the like.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 15:22   #31
Fumbling_Foo

I was imagining the worst case scenario that users would be downloading the first version/versions, viewing them, then not bothering to view my latest work. That's good to know, thx martin .

Old 2nd October 2016, 15:23   #32
Fumbling_Foo

deleted

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 2nd October 2016 at 15:24. Reason: double post
Old 7th October 2016, 15:24   #33
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You, Fumbling_Foo. If I will go out in 2 weeks, then I will continue with the doctors outside, also for my stomach.

Tomorrow it will be weekend... And I will turn on my notebook, take my headphones and start Winamp...

Old 9th October 2016, 19:25   #34
Fumbling_Foo

Sabine / anyone else, are you seeing the preset as it appears in the screenshots? When I run the latest preset (adagio v2) on the 1080p HDVT vs on my computer, it doesn't look as good. It flickers more and is a lot more "wiry" vs on my computer, where I can get some awesome screenshots. Is there any way to fix this?

Old 9th October 2016, 20:17   #35
Nitorami
Major Dude

To me, it seems to look as your screenshots. That said, I have a really old monitor at a resolution of 1280x1024.

You put a lot of effort into tweaking. Just as a hint, one thing you should consider is making it fps independent. A construct like

code:
basstime = basstime + bass_att*0.025;

obviously runs 2x faster at 60fps than at 30, simply because the per frame code is executed every frame. As you don't know the user's configuration, always try to make your code fps neutral. Say your own machine runs at 50fps, then simply use

code:
basstime = basstime + bass_att*0.025 * 50/fps;

and it will run at same speed everywhere.
Old 10th October 2016, 00:18   #36
Fumbling_Foo

THANKS, martin ! Here's v7, which pivots off of adagio v2 with fps normalization and tweaked inner opacity of the shapes for better color.

Just a shot in the dark, is there anything I can do to control the pattern generation of the waveform? Somehow the patterns seem to go with the music very well, but the preset does a generic circle / threads instead of lattices / flowers / beams a bit too much (but it still manages to do them at sometimes at just the right moments).

Most of the code dealing with this is above my head, and I can't make heads or tails of what does what and how in most of the per-frame code. If you're interested you could modify the waveform to generate more patterns (and whatever else you fancy ) and add your name as co-creator . Just start from the attached version .
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v7.milk (22.6 KB, 126 views)

Old 10th October 2016, 08:46   #37
Nitorami
Major Dude

Hi Fumbling_Foo

I do not edit other people's code. It is difficult to understand, particularly because milkdrop does not support structures, and most of the control is done by the q variables scattered over various places. If I start editing without knowing the dependancies, I will have destroyed part of the intended functions before I know how.

A few hints.
A very cheap method to make things more interesting is to add a shape with texture=on. It will copy the content from the screen center to the position of the shape, modified by tex_zoom, tex_angle. This is a very versatile technique. You can also move the shape to make it less predictable.

You have only 32 q variables, use them sparingly. Whenever you do not need a variable outside the per frame section, give it a different, more comprehensive name.

Personally I find the preset rather overbright. The flashing fullscreen white makes it unpleasant to watch for me. It is because the comp shader inverts the picture (ret = 1-ret....) and additionally multiplies it by 1.2 for no reason. I guess you simply mashed it from other presets. Similar for the permanent diagonal flow which seems to tear my eyes apart and becomes painful after a while. That said, I am getting old, and my eyes too...

Your code has become messy. You will learn a lot when cleaning it up. Look at the extract here (a few intermediate lines deleted):

Quote:
basstime = basstime + q29*0.025;
(...)
basstime = basstime + bass_att*0.025 * 30/fps;
Do you still know what basstime is really doing ? In any case, the first line destroys fps normalization.

The circles are rhythmic because they are somehow - I don't understand exactly how - based on q4 which is derived from the resonant beat detection. This detection simply uses a number of resonators, like pendulums of variable length excited by volume. The resonator with the highest response is taken as beat signal. This signal is more or less sinusoidal over time, just like a pendulum. You do not neet to understand the detail, but there is a lot more things you could to with it, and you have 3 wave and shape sections still free.

Finally: Don't get stuck on a single preset. Sooner or later you will get annoyed with it. Try something entirely new and learn from it.

Best
Martin
Old 10th October 2016, 11:14   #38
Fumbling_Foo

Rgr all that, thanks !

Old 12th October 2016, 17:37   #39
Fumbling_Foo

I added the fps normalization to the first line, hopefully that works. I'm too skittish to remove any lines of code because its hard for me to see the changes in the waveform.

After a lot of reviewing I can say that I have everything pretty much the way I want it, so I'm going to go ahead and release v7a. This version expresses better the ideal of adagio for letting the patterns develop and meld into each other regardless of the speed of the center circle. It pretty much maintains a wonderful, relatively unique look for each song through the song, with this version tweaking the center circle.

I hope nobody's getting muddled down in all the different versions of star forge, but for the most part each new revision is improved in some way and I can definitely say the same for this version. I'm sure everyone else is at least as tired of star forge as I am, giving limited improvement and the reduced popularity of the latest downloads. Hopefully this version will become at least as popular as vPub. I kinda wish I hadn't released any version until at least v5 because of the later, better versions being lost in the posts of this topic and not being able to edit the topic post (geez admins, why not fix that? it'd be so much easier to find and download presets), but oh well. If I start making more presets I'll bundle this version and perhaps vintage releases in with them.
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v7a.milk (22.6 KB, 123 views)

Old 14th October 2016, 15:25   #40
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

If not today anymore, then tomorrow hopefully I will try to find some time to compare the presets with the screenshots on my PC with my monitor in 1920x1200 pixel and on my notebook with the display in 1600x900 pixel. But I didn't see a flickering, when I saw them some days ago. I didn't play music on my notebook in the last days, but I did that on my PC a little bit.

BTW, if You have "Stereomix" on Your computer and use it as default recording device, then You can start the URL "linein://" and the Milkdrop Visualizer in Winamp and play music on YouTube & SoundCloud etc. Maybe You like some of the songs and maybe You want to test the presets with them...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....07744&page=684

One more week, and after that I can be again in the forums more often...

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets