Old 23rd January 2001, 07:05   #1
Erik Spigle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2
i'm running a little shoutcast server over a LAN. whenever i connect to it from another computer it just shows the shoutcast server name, and not the current song. i looked at the DSP plugin settings, and both server settings details are set to auto. i've looked over the config file for shoutcast a few times, and don't see anything that i might have missed. anyone with a clue here?
Erik Spigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2001, 11:25   #2
IBC-Radio.com
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 175
Send a message via ICQ to IBC-Radio.com Send a message via AIM to IBC-Radio.com
That question was just asked, read this post and see if any of it helps first. Then get back with us.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=39256
IBC-Radio.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2001, 14:24   #3
Erik Spigle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2
Ok, it's working

I think I found the culprit. I was running the DSP plug-in through my output plug-in (SqrSoft Advanced Crossfader). It supports running DSP plug-ins within itself. I just set them each to run on its own.

But now I have another problem. When connecting to the server it is buffering about 90% of the time. I am streaming at 128kbps over a 100Mbit Ethernet network. I've done this in the past without any problems, but now it won't quit buffering on the client side it seems. The music plays fine, but it's ridiculous to watch the playlist and see it say Buffering %%%% and then flash the song title every so often after buffering. Any leads?
Erik Spigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2001, 16:52   #4
RuphBear
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 68
Re: Ok, it's working

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Spigle
I think I found the culprit. I was running the DSP plug-in through my output plug-in (SqrSoft Advanced Crossfader). It supports running DSP plug-ins within itself. I just set them each to run on its own.

But now I have another problem. When connecting to the server it is buffering about 90% of the time. I am streaming at 128kbps over a 100Mbit Ethernet network. I've done this in the past without any problems, but now it won't quit buffering on the client side it seems. The music plays fine, but it's ridiculous to watch the playlist and see it say Buffering %%%% and then flash the song title every so often after buffering. Any leads?
A couple ideas come to mind, but you didn't give many particulars about your setup. I had this problem when I was streaming using on-demand rather than they typical connect to the server.

The problem sounds like your broadcast PC can't provide the data fast enough for the playback to keep up. Assuming you're using WinAmp connecting via URL, on the PC you're using to play the stream on,

1. Go under WinAmp Preferences (CTL-P) and under Plug-Ins/Inputs, configure the Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder streaming options (try both higher/lower settings).

2. Go under WinAmp Preferences (CTL-P) and under Plug-Ins/Output try increasing or decreasing your buffering on your selected output device.

3. Stream your files at a lower bitrate.

4. Check your networking to insure that it's operating in full-duplex and not half-duplex (full duplex allows asynchronus operation, half does not).

Some of these settings will apply to the WinAmp that's maintaining the playlist, however I'd check the client side before I started messing with the server side. As always, back things up b4 you make any major changes.

Ruph
RuphBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump