Old 9th July 2004, 22:33   #1
parsage

Skin Downloading: Sudden change in the way they download.

Until 4 or 5 days ago I had no problem downloading skins. They automatically found the proper folder and installed without difficultly.

A couple of days ago that changed. I get a page full of code instead. I know what to do with these, save in skins folder. That's not really a problem, just a nuisance. But I cannot figure out why this has suddenly changed. Gotta be something causing this.

(this used to be the way skins in WinAmp 2.x worked for me, but since installing V 5.x I had not had the problem, until a couple of days ago)

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? How to fix this?

(Running WinAmp 5.3
Win XP Home Edition
Netscape 7.1)
parsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 00:11   #2
JonnyMac

I have noticed that also. Mod skins use to download with out a problem. I think it is the old Netscape issue...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....93#post1404193
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....03#post1041803

I have not tried it but Firefox doesn't seem to effected by the "bug".
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 00:33   #3
parsage

Right after I posted, it occured to me that the only changes made on my system have been MS "Critical Updates", and there was one last week.

Is it possible that Gates and gang have caused this? Whaddya think?

No one ever found a solution the last time this happened, did they?

I know that WinAmp concluded that the problem was with Netscape the last time around. But when I upgraded to WinAmp 5x I no longer had the problem. So it seems to me it can't have been the browser that caused this. Or am I being wishfully logical?

(and there is no way I will ever go to IE. besides the security issues, at least for me, it is slooowwwwww. I only use it for Windows updates.)
Old 10th July 2004, 19:02   #4
parsage

Should have mentioned yesterday that the skin extensions .wal, .wsz, and.wsz.wal are each defined in my Netscape preferences, and are supposed to be saved to disk. Has been that way for all the time I have had WinAmp 5x.

'Tis a puzzle...
Old 10th July 2004, 19:06   #5
siebe83
Forum King

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....93#post1404193
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....03#post1041803

You are now able to download skins?
(just to be sure)

[edit]fixed typo

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.

Last edited by siebe83; 10th July 2004 at 19:41.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 19:40   #6
JonnyMac

Update

After upgrading to Mozilla 1.7.1 I am able to directly download skins (classic & modern). I originally had Netscape 7.x and had to upgrade to correct another problem other than the skin issue. Netscape is (based on) Mozilla with some of Netscape's proprietary features built in.
Old 10th July 2004, 21:22   #7
parsage

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83

You are now able to download skins?
(just to be sure)
In a word, no. It is actually less work to let the code download and save that, than to change the extension from php.

This isn't a major problem. I don't want to give the impression that my musical experience has been damaged or destroyed by this truly trivial thing.

It's more a curiosity why it suddenly happened after months of normal behavior. I really don't think it is a browser issue. It wasn't until earlier this week. Downloading was normal until then.

Appreciate the input though.
Old 10th July 2004, 21:36   #8
parsage

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyMac
After upgrading to Mozilla 1.7.1 I am able to directly download skins (classic & modern). I originally had Netscape 7.x and had to upgrade to correct another problem other than the skin issue. Netscape is (based on) Mozilla with some of Netscape's proprietary features built in.
Gotta admit here that I am chicken. At the time I got this computer, and graduated to XP, I thought I would switch to Mozilla. Caused me all kinds of difficulties. Lost a bunch of important archived eMails. Fortunately Had text versions of them elsewhere. Never did figure out why this happened. So I uninstalled Mozilla, and then used Windows Restore, and got em back.

I understand and believe that it is now considered fully stable. Still.. the idea makes me nervous... (Chickenshit is more like it!)

(Of course any advice you might offer on this would be appreciated.)

And anyhow, I really don't think it's a browser issue. Worked fine until earlier this week. No change to browser at that time.

As I said above to Surfer Dude, it's not exactly a major problem. Just a tiny nuisance and a curiosity.

What would cause program behaviour to change? 'Tis (still) a puzzlement.)
Old 10th July 2004, 23:48   #9
JonnyMac

I just wanted users to know there is a way to resolve the skin download issue and was not trying to endorse Mozilla.

I don't know what could have caused then problem you had after installing Mozilla.

Some comments on my installment. I kept Netscape on my system when Mozilla was installed. After installing and running Mozilla, the profiles, preferences, bookmarks, address book, mail data, etc. were preserved.

Although I am mainly using Mozilla as my browser and mail program I have not set it as my default . If Mozilla runs for sever days with out conflict I will set it as the default mail and browser.

If you are happy now and the skin download issue is not a big deal. Keep things as they are.
Old 11th July 2004, 02:04   #10
parsage

Quote:
I just wanted users to know there is a way to resolve the skin download issue and was not trying to endorse Mozilla.
I didn't think you were!

But I have been thinking for some time about switching again.

And we probably should not take up WinAmp space discussing Mozilla, so I'll ask just one more question and be gone.

Are you able to access your Netscape Bookmarks and eMail files without moving/copying them to Mozilla? And Can I directly Import my archived eMails into Mozilla if I decide to?

(Guess that's 2 Questions... )

Promise I won't take this further...

thanks
Old 11th July 2004, 02:34   #11
JonnyMac

OK, I don't want to take up more Winamp Tech. support space with Mozilla also.

The profiles, options, bookmarks, mail boxes, address book etc. successfully migrated to Mozilla. All I did was just open up Mozilla and there it was.

I am not too sure of what you meant by “archived eMails” . If that relates to Netscape's WebMail service I don't know if it will migrate.

Getting Started with Mozilla: Migrating From Netscape 6 or 7.
Old 11th July 2004, 03:44   #12
parsage

Quote:
OK, I don't want to take up more Winamp Tech. support space with Mozilla also.

I am not too sure of what you meant by “archived eMails” . If that relates to Netscape's WebMail service I don't know if it will migrate.
Not webmail. Just basic eMails and address books, etc. I lost them when I tried Mozilla the last time. But since you say you have kept Netscape as well as Mozilla, and Mozilla picked up all that stuff automatically, I think I'm gonna take the plunge. As long as I don't have to replace Netscape, which I think is what I did that last time, I think the time has come...

No more Hijacking WinAmp's space for this. End of thread.

I really appreciate the help and encouragement.

Peace
(And a nice weekend too!)
Old 11th July 2004, 17:40   #13
parsage

One final note to JonnyMac:

THANK YOU!

Mozilla looks exactly like Netscape, but....

H-o-l-y SHE-IT! is it faster or what!

And it does skins right!

Hot damn!

Thanks again.

Parsage is one happy surfer now
Old 29th August 2004, 02:59   #14
wazzaboy

Netscape user downloading skin

Hi... would love to have a step by step instruction list for anyone who has netscape and wants to download skins... could someone do that for me? contact wazzaboy@hotmail.com with info
wazzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 05:32   #15
parsage

I'm surprised to see this thread re-activated! Last entry was in APRIL!

But, I digress.

I solved the Netscape-Skin Download problem by switching to Mozilla. http://www.mozilla.org(I was never able to get Netscape to do skins properly. You can just download the code, and save the page as a skin file, but that's extra unecessary steps.) Get Mozilla. Looks and behaves EXACTLY like Netscape, but much faster. It does skins correctly. And it is a much smaller file size than Netscape too. (I had been a Netscaper for YEARS.) Mozilla is great. It automatically imported my Bookmarks, eMail address books, etc, Some features are an improvement on Netscape. And the Mozilla community support boards are really great. Any problems you might have, or questions about switching to Mozilla, you should post them there.
Old 29th August 2004, 11:49   #16
JonnyMac

Also, from what I have heard the recently released Netscape 7.2 will download skins correctly. However if you are not interested in upgrading to Mozilla or Netscape 7.2 skin download instructions were provided in the first link from the first reply to this thread.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support