Old 29th August 2004, 01:58   #1
ericsphillips

krenal streaming / bypass windows volume

Is there a winamp output module that will bypass the windows volume control like foobar's kernal streaming?

Or... Does DS bypass windows volume control if the winamp configured DS device is different than the windows default playback device?

I am using an output stacker to output DS to both the digital and analog outputs of a carddeluxe proaudio sound card. I have the winamp volume control disabled for both devices and would like the digital out to be also untouched by windows vol/mixer controls.

thanks,
Eric
ericsphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 02:19   #2
mikm
Major Dude

http://www.skinmaster.plus.com/WAPP/WAPP.exe
That plugin pack includes a kernel streaming output.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 02:26   #3
JonnyMac

Grrr, too late. I will post a reply anyways...

There is a kernel output plug-in. I don't know if it will bypass Windows volume control.

AFAIK is not possible to bypass Windows volume control through DirectSound plug-in options.

Last edited by JonnyMac; 29th August 2004 at 02:51.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 04:28   #4
ericsphillips

thanks to all.

since this simple KS module does not have a config, how does it decide which audio device to output to?
Old 29th August 2004, 04:51   #5
ericsphillips

answered ny own question...

just wrote a simple Kernel Streaming output plugin for WA2 - check it out at http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~cshei/out_ks.dll. It's very experimental right now - it just uses the first output device it finds, and it's currently hard-coded to use 10 output buffers (so it might skip if you have all those WinXP visual effects enabled). Source code is at http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~cshei/out_ks.zip (a VC++ .NET project - sorry VC++ 6 users). I just wrote it this afternoon, because Microsoft released a Kernel Streaming demo today . I'll be adding tons of stuff soon, including SSRC resampling (for those who are blessed with fixed sampling rate DACs ) and selection of output device and # of buffers.

Annuka: using Kernel Streaming should prevent ALL other programs from using the sound device, which should solve the "Silence Flash" problem.

Edit: By the way, if you do give it a try, give me some comments/suggestions
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support