Old 30th August 2001, 11:13   #1
mindcrash

plugin as hardware interface...

Hi everyone

I'm quite new to plugin coding so maybe some of you more experienced guys can help me out..

The problem is as following:

I have this geeky idea to control some LEDs which are on a piece of hardware which is connected through a parralel port with a standard PC. The idea is to control these LEDs with a plugin so they turn on and off when playing an mp3 (like the lights in a disco)... I know how to control the parralel port in Windows (using _outp() and such...) but the only problem is how to decide when the song playing "hits" a certain amount of decibels or something so that some LED fires up... (i know the basic idea looks like grabbing the data just like a oscilloscope does (or something), but i actually don't have a clue to get that kind information from a song within WinAmp...)

any help will be appreciated VERY MUCH
mindcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 11:48   #2
Katascope

Send a message via AIM to Katascope
Well, I wrote a plugin for questions like that:

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/review...OT=C&rOI=70105

Full source(in visual C++). Shows how to get the spectrum info
from winamp and display it. You could just hook that code and send it to your own! For something like LED's, I would recomend using analog
controls for them(modulate the brightness). If that's not possible, then filter the spectrum down to the number of led's you have, boost the higher ends of the spectrum, and watch for a major change in the average spectrum energy.

Anyhoo. If you can write that code, the plugin will give you winamp+spectrum info

Hope this helps.
Katascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 11:52   #3
mindcrash

thanx, i'll give it a try
mindcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support