Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 28th March 2002, 02:38   #1
otlais

Winamp causes my internet connection to slow down dramatically

I cant seem to listen to my songs through winamp and surf the web at the same time. As soon as I close winamp I can then surf the net. When I run winamp and try a view a website it just hangs, thinking about it. After about 5-10 minutes it finally opens the web page I am looking for. Any suggestions??

I am using a modem connection, 56K.

Thanks
otlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2002, 19:32   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

CPU/RAM/motherboard?
Windows OS?
Soundcard type/model?
Videocard details?
Browser & version?
Winamp version?
Installed any 3rd-party plugins for Winamp?

You can try some of these troubleshooters:

RE: My dial-up / browser automatically opens when I run Winamp
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31346

Troubleshooter Guides:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....827#post275827
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....166#post308166

Basic Uninstall -> Reinstall procedure:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=50818
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2002, 06:05   #3
otlais

Hi DJEgg,

My computer details are as follows:

Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
256Mb RAM
64Mb GeForce 2 Graphics card
Windows 98 Operating System
I am using Internet Explorer Version 6
I am running Winamp 2.78C
I havent installed any third party plug-ins

I hope this helps

otlais
Old 1st April 2002, 13:31   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Did you look at those links I provided above?
Particularly the first one!

Although your sys specs seem more than adequate (you shouldn't be experiencing any problems there) you forgot to tell me what your soundcard is.
System Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Sound...Controllers.
I hope it's a proper card and not one of those shabby onboard chips.

You could also try the basic uninstall -> reinstall,
but when reinstalling, go for v2.79 and then install the official Winamp 2 Update patch.

There's also a possibility that the problem is being caused by some other concurrently running software. Take a look at what else is open.
Also, it could be an IRQ conflict, eg. between modem and sound/video cards, even if it's not reported in Device Manager. Or at the worst, a resource/memory leak. Check the manufacturer's sites for updated drivers for ALL your hardware.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2002, 12:45   #5
otlais

My sound is an onboard chip, it is a

Avance AC'97 Audio for Intel(R) Audio Controller.

I tried everything on your last reply except obtaining the latest drivers for ALL my hardware. That is next on the agenda.

I might try a complete reinstall of the operating system, it may be my last option.
Old 5th April 2002, 22:36   #6
mp3ass

Send a message via AIM to mp3ass Send a message via Yahoo to mp3ass
i no your problem, you have a 56k, simple, thats a shitty ass connection
mp3ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 08:26   #7
JADias1

What i think (and I may be wrong) is that although your system is pretty good (and I'd trade systems with you any day), there is a memory leak somewhere. Therefore, the problem is not your INTERNET CONNECTION slows down, rather that WHAT YOUR COMPUTER DOES with that internet connection slows down. A major problem a lot of people overlook are minimized programs running in the taskbar next to your system clock. Each of those little icons are a major processes or programs running. Try to find ways to shut those down (except the 4-5 that you REALLY need)Chances are, most programs will run without their "baby programs," like Real Player has got one in there. EEach of these processes eats up a little chunk of memory. Running winamp might then simply just push it over the edge. Try this. Most of those programs should have an "options" or "Preferences" menu. See what's in there and remove them. Also, try removing anything you don't need from Start>Programs>Startup

Another thing to consider is hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see what programs are running. If there is something you KNOW you don't need, but starts up everytime your computer starts, try 1) Start>Run>Type: msconfig
2) go to the tab all the way on the right.
3) uncheck the box of the Process ID (PID)

After closing the window, you will be prompted to reboot. Go ahead and do it. See what happens when you start up.

Please tell me if all of the above do not work.
JADias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 08:34   #8
JADias1

What i think (and I may be wrong) is that although your system is pretty good (and I'd trade systems with you any day), there is a memory leak somewhere. Therefore, the problem is not your INTERNET CONNECTION slows down, rather that WHAT YOUR COMPUTER DOES with that internet connection slows down. A major problem a lot of people overlook are minimized programs running in the taskbar next to your system clock. Each of those little icons are a major processes or programs running. Try to find ways to shut those down (except the 4-5 that you REALLY need)Chances are, most programs will run without their "baby programs," like Real Player has got one in there. EEach of these processes eats up a little chunk of memory. Running winamp might then simply just push it over the edge. Try this.

Another thing to consider is hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see what programs are running.

Please tell me if the above does not work.
JADias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 13:46   #9
leahzero

Hi there, anyone reading.

I recently posted a thread with the same problem as otlais here. Incidentally, otlais (if you're still around), I believe your problem is related to the fact that your sound card is an onboard type, but I'm not familiar with onboard sound cards so I can't give you details. I think your particular card is listed with more information in the Winamp FAQ, though, isn't it?

Anyhow, to anyone else reading, no, otlais's problem is pretty much definitely NOT the fact that he's using dial-up. He said it happens when he's running Winamp, and there's a difference between having a slow connection and having your connection hang, the latter of which is his problem. This has occurred to my computer and a comp networked with mine as well. Both of my systems are decently fast, have non-integrated sound cards (i.e., not part of the motherboard), are not infected with virii or anything, are not running extraneous applications or tasks in the background, and are not mere victims of a bandwidth bottleneck (we use cable internet). The only thing the two systems have in common is that they're both running Win2K...otherwise, all of their components, both hardware and software, are different.

Please, if anyone can offer help, I would truly appreciate it. It's incredibly irritating not to be able to multitask anymore!
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2004, 15:53   #10
vs271

I had this same problem. And I had DSL too. I started checking to see what I played with since it started getting sluggish with me. I unchecked "Enable Beat Visualization". You ccan find it Options-Winamp Modern. Everything is better now.
vs271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support