Old 29th March 2002, 09:03   #1
roy

cd wont play on pc

I purchased the new celine dion cd today and it will not play on my pc. it also has a sticker on it confirming that it will not play on a pc or mac. Does anyone know how i can get around this as i would like to rip it.
Thanks in advance.
ROY
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 09:13   #2
KrunkedUp187

Send a message via ICQ to KrunkedUp187 Send a message via AIM to KrunkedUp187 Send a message via Yahoo to KrunkedUp187
i have never heard of such a technology, does it work in ur diskman?

Alpha Pi Lambda Fraternity... never dry, baby...

i get laid more than fritos - Ludacris
KrunkedUp187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 09:16   #3
No Name

i think your computer is smart.

it refuses to play crap cds!!! Thank the cd rom. Cause if it did play, your computer would melt.

No Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 09:33   #4
roy

This is new technology, I read an article about it before but did not expect to encounter it , as one of the downfalls was that older cd players would also have problem. When you put the cd in any cd rom it does not recognize it , not even from explorer. the light on the cd just keeps flashing. i tried it on three different cd roms and computers
It plays perfectly in my pioneer dvd player on my hi-fi.i do not have a walkman to test it on. i surpose that i could as a last resort capture it through my SoundBlaster live card. I want to try and avoid this as there will be some losses.
it clearly has a label on it and i quote " will not play on pc/mac"
Old 29th March 2002, 09:33   #5
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus Xbox/PS4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Take it and get your money back. It is a sub-standard, corrupt CD.

<<click<<

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 09:45   #6
Montana
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Montana Send a message via AIM to Montana Send a message via Yahoo to Montana
if you wanna rip the cd, you have to get a advanced soundcard (audigy or whatever), the connect an optic cable from the cd-player (not the computer), to the line-in and then you play the sound on the cd-player, and then capture it on the computer,

(if you didn't get what i meant, i'm terrible @ explaining)

batman
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 10:12   #7
pAk

The way it works (I think (I read it somewhere(tell me if I'm wrong)))...

Consider this...a normal audio CD plays all the way through, it does not skip around the CD unless you change the tracks, in other words the laser moves slowly from the inside to the outside of the CD

PC CD's don't work like this, different parts of the data are kept on different sectors, the laser jumps all over the place. It knows where to go because a little command on the CD says "jump to this point"

There is no need for a discman or audio cd player to be able to recognise this command because it is never needed with audio CDs so if it sees this command then it just carrys straight on playing

PC's on the other hand will read it and will send the laser running off somewhere to look something up

These new CD's that won't work in CD-ROMS have lots of jump commands all over the place for no reason at all, this prevents the computer reading the CD because all it sees is a load of jump commands and a load of random data-it can't understand it.

The work around for this would be to write a new firmware that tells the CD-ROM to ignore the jump commands if it is reading an audio CD, this is of course over simplified and is much more complicated to do in practice

I have a feeling that I'm talking crap, someone please tell me if I am. I'm sure I read this somewhere, but it was quite a while ago

pAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 10:37   #8
roy

I dont know if you are correct but it is a problem. The only way i can rip this cd is via a soundcard. and there are definatly losses of some sort irrespective of what sound card you have. i have a sb live and i notice a difference between the original and the ripped version.
Old 29th March 2002, 12:40   #9
Rocker

if the CD is protected using the new format.....then the only way to play it on a PC...is to have specified firmware for your cd-rom that will bypass the protection....

if I were you...i'd take the CD back...

and boycott any artist that uses the protection...

you could rip the CD using high quality cables(an analogue rip)....the effect of the audio cable would be minimal
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 18:33   #10
roy

I have already done exactly that , took a few hours, I cannot take the cd back, celine dion is my idol and it is her new cd "a new day has come". Returning the cd is not an option. There must be a way. I am currently investigating taking my digital output from my dvd and connecting it onto my sound card. I do believe that the sb live 5.1 card can take a digital signal.
Old 29th March 2002, 18:53   #11
zootm
Forum King

i heard that NEW CD players couldn't play them either- the only ppl who can play them are people with very middle of the road sound systems...

bollocks to it. boycott it.

//edit-- found some info

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 19:00   #12
roy

I DID IT; I just screwed all their new technology.
I took a single rca cable from my digital output of my pioneer dvd player to the digital input on my sound card.
I used nero editor to capture the signal to mp3.
the result is a perfect ripped cd
I hope this will teach Sony not to be so clever
Old 29th March 2002, 19:04   #13
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by roy
I DID IT; I just screwed all their new technology.
I took a single rca cable from my digital output of my pioneer dvd player to the digital input on my sound card.
I used nero editor to capture the signal to mp3.
the result is a perfect ripped cd
I hope this will teach Sony not to be so clever

take that greedy capitalists!

Old 29th March 2002, 20:09   #14
Montana
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Montana Send a message via AIM to Montana Send a message via Yahoo to Montana
i told you it would work,

batman
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 20:53   #15
roy

Yes you did, however what you said did not make sense for the following reasons.
1) The optic cable is a digital output
2) The line in on the soundcard is analogue.
These two together cannot work.
However your description did steer me into the right direction and it was just a matter of determining my digital input on the card, which incidentally is on the card. and not to the outside of the computer, so what I did was I took a blanker and drilled a hole in it whereupon I mounted a rca female panel mount gold plated connector. on the inside of the computer i took a cable which plugs into the card -cut off one end and soldered it onto the female rca connector. i now just plug in a normal rca cable between my dvd and computer. I am fortunate my dvd has two digital outputs, one is fiber optic and the other a normal rca outlet with a digital signal on it .
so I must give credit where credit is due.
Thanks
Old 29th March 2002, 21:07   #16
zootm
Forum King

most modern cards can use their analogue input as an optical coax.

in fact, mine can take an optical 3.5mm input

Old 29th March 2002, 21:24   #17
roy

Are You sure that the 3.5 mm plug you are referring to is in actual an input and not a digital output intended for surround sound processors to achieve 5.1 surround sound. if it is in actual fact an input , what card is it as I would like to purchase it. I have a sound blaster 5.1 live and my external 3.5mm plug is a digital output and not an digital input.
Old 29th March 2002, 21:32   #18
zootm
Forum King

i don't have any optical hardware so i've never checked. yeah, there is a digital input inside most though. the optical connection is definately input- i remember being v. annoyed cos if it had been an output i could record MDs soooooo much easier

Old 29th March 2002, 23:27   #19
apollos
Forum King

On the subject of CD's not playing:
Sometimes my PC doesn't recognise that a CD is in my CDRW drive AND my CDROM drive whilst a quick reboot sorts the problem out! What's the deal with that! I blame shitty XP! Never had those problems b4!
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2002, 05:36   #20
roy

YOU POSTED

Sometimes my PC doesn't recognise that a CD is in my CDRW drive AND my CDROM drive whilst a quick reboot sorts the problem out! What's the deal with that! I blame shitty XP! Never had those problems b4

The problem we have is not the problem you are having. if you check back you will see that someone has put a link to a paper on the subject.
This is a deliberate attempt by the labels to stop duplicating and ripping cd's.
basically at this stage if you have an external player with a digital output you can overcome this problem without any losses , else you will have to use a normal cd player use the line in ( analogue ) and capture the wave using a third party software like nero or creative.
The problem with this is that you are decoding to analogue and then encoding again. this will have some quality losses irrespective of what equipment you possess. I have a pioneer dvd 525 (top of the range) a marantz decoder ,marantz 5.1 av amp, I use b&W dm 603-s2 speakers ( the best speakers in the world now for 5 years running) , the system cost me about $ 10 000.00. the whole system is housed in a sound proof theater cost me an additional $25000.00 to build. I used this system to take an analogue to my creative live card, and when playing back on my computer it sounded perfect. However when I put it in my theater there was defiantly a difference.
After using the digital method as I described above, there is absolutely no difference from the original to my final recordings.
I would also like to add that I am using triple shielded monster cables imported form America to carry my digital. These cables are 100 m long, as mp computer and theater are not in the same location.
Old 30th March 2002, 08:35   #21
insomniac
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to insomniac
i suggest you get a new idol. if she really cared about her fans, she would not have allowed this. plus,she`s cheesy.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2002, 09:18   #22
roy

One man's meat is another's poison.You to your music and me to mine.
I will not and do not believe it is her.
If you read all the literature it is the labels doing it.
Old 30th March 2002, 11:27   #23
apollos
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by roy
YOU POSTED

Sometimes my PC doesn't recognise that a CD is in my CDRW drive AND my CDROM drive whilst a quick reboot sorts the problem out! What's the deal with that! I blame shitty XP! Never had those problems b4

The problem we have is not the problem you are having. if you check back you will see that someone has put a link to a paper on the subject.
This is a deliberate attempt by the labels to stop duplicating and ripping cd's.
basically at this stage if you have an external player with a digital output you can overcome this problem without any losses , else you will have to use a normal cd player use the line in ( analogue ) and capture the wave using a third party software like nero or creative.
The problem with this is that you are decoding to analogue and then encoding again. this will have some quality losses irrespective of what equipment you possess. I have a pioneer dvd 525 (top of the range) a marantz decoder ,marantz 5.1 av amp, I use b&W dm 603-s2 speakers ( the best speakers in the world now for 5 years running) , the system cost me about $ 10 000.00. the whole system is housed in a sound proof theater cost me an additional $25000.00 to build. I used this system to take an analogue to my creative live card, and when playing back on my computer it sounded perfect. However when I put it in my theater there was defiantly a difference.
After using the digital method as I described above, there is absolutely no difference from the original to my final recordings.
I would also like to add that I am using triple shielded monster cables imported form America to carry my digital. These cables are 100 m long, as mp computer and theater are not in the same location.

Why did Celine Dione's record producers bother to make the cd not work on pc. after all, the waste their time after a week someone finds out how to overcome the problem!
Old 30th March 2002, 13:30   #24
roy

I have heard it is not only celein’s cd with this new protection it seems to be all Sony labels. I think that Sony thinks that they are clever and we are all stupid. I do want to add that although my workaround solution works it is slow. It achieves the goal but the external players can only play at 1X speed. Therefore your digital stream is 1 x speed. And I must say together with Nero burning rom, it worked out 100%
Old 31st March 2002, 16:06   #25
zootm
Forum King

it is the labels doing it.

but you'd think the artists would be fighting back a little more

system of a down are on the same label. i want to know what'll happen for their next release... they're not the kind of people to stand for this...

Old 31st March 2002, 21:07   #26
apollos
Forum King

Never mind my forum friends! Give it a few weeks then search for a crack for Sony labels and the crack will sort all your problems!
Take that Sony!

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions