Old 30th March 2002, 04:34   #1
kaboom

cdg plugin

Hi,

I just submitted a plug-in named cdg plug-in. It`s used to display the lyrics contained in a cdg file synchronized with a mp3. CDG file is a very popular format in the world of karaoke. I just want to be sure that the reviewers at Nullsoft know what a cdg file is and how you can obtain them. Otherwise, I can make an arrangement with you to provide some cdg files of my own to evaluate the plug-in.

Yannick
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2002, 22:08   #2
Twilight741

CDG Plug in

Hi- I'm new here and am not even sure that this is where I need to be- scarey huh? Ok, I'm trying to download and burn a copy of a karaoke CD-G. The audio comes out fine- the graphics(lyrics) don't. Will this plug in help me with this? Do I need to do something different when downloading the CDG in order to download the graphics, also? Do I need a specific type of blank CD? Do I have to have an MP3, or can I do this with Winamp? Where do I find this "plug in"-(I know this is probably the dumbest question so far, but--)what exactly is a "plug in"?
I'd really appreciate any help you can send my way-thanks, Jen
Twilight741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 23:34   #3
lilocowboy

Winanp 3 CD+G plugin

Is there going to be a WA3 version of the CD+G plug that kaboom created for WA2 or is this something to look forward to in an update for WA3. I am really looking forward to it. I tried to get the one for WA2 to work but I can't get any window open to show the words. The karaoke CD that I have says CD+G Lyrics on screen but I don't see anything let alone any cdg files on the cd. Any one have any tips of what I could do to get it to work with my WA2 will one comes out for WA3?
lilocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2002, 03:35   #4
StreetWalker

Re: Winanp 3 CD+G plugin

Quote:
Originally posted by lilocowboy
Is there going to be a WA3 version of the CD+G plug that kaboom created for WA2 or is this something to look forward to in an update for WA3. I am really looking forward to it. I tried to get the one for WA2 to work but I can't get any window open to show the words. The karaoke CD that I have says CD+G Lyrics on screen but I don't see anything let alone any cdg files on the cd. Any one have any tips of what I could do to get it to work with my WA2 will one comes out for WA3?
lilocowboy,

Why can't I find a trace of cdg plugin?

Street
StreetWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2002, 16:29   #5
StreetWalker

CDG Plug-in work in Windows XP?

Is anyone using the CDG Plug-in work in Windows XP? If so, how did you get the lyrics screen to work?

Thanks,
Street
Old 2nd September 2002, 13:20   #6
kaboom

your questions...

For all question aboves,

1) The plugin work in XP. I know some users who use it. If it doesn`t work, make sure it's well installed. Press ctrl-p in winamp 2.xx and check if you see it in the general plugin section. If it's there, try removing the cdgplugin.ini file in winamp\plugins folder. Try also different pair of .mp3 and .cdg files.

2) The plugin cannot at this time read a cd+g disk directly. I'm working on that to provide a solution soon. You have to use external tool to rip the cdg content off the disk that will create a .mp3 and a .cdg file.

3) The plugin can always be downloaded from the website http://pages.infinit.net/belier/

4) The version for winamp3 is currently in beta stage. It will make use of the winamp3 environment. I will release it in september.

5) For general related question about cdg and karaoke, the following web site could be useful. They have agreat help section with tutorials. http://www.karaokeplayground.co.uk
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 18:10   #7
StreetWalker

Re: your questions...

kaboom,

The cdg plugin works perfectly with WinAmp3 running in Windows XP Pro. Thank you very much for the excellent work.

Steve Walker
Old 8th October 2002, 04:07   #8
jomama

karaoke cdg's etc.

part of the problem is that cdg's are created with audio files in AIFF. There are plug ins that display lyrics when the files are in MIDI (.KAR). Quicktime is one of them.

But this is for downloaded files which are notorious for their general poor sound quality.

Karaoke enthusiasts are looking for a way to use their computers as a cdg machine AND/OR burn copies of their exisitng disks. Burning may make the copyright cops nervous, but it is the best way to create the compilations of material that condenses scores of disks to a manageable few.

A "bush league" outfit called GoldenHawk Technologies has a program that will allow you to burn in CDG/.KAR format, but not read what you've written. They and their program are not user friendly but they begrudgingly do have a burner program that works.

If you can indeed create a plug in that will convert AIFF to .KAR, then you are on to something. Also, remember that Mactintosh and iPod are the new wave, so DO NOT overlook it's importance

what is frustrating is KNOWING that the lyrics exist on the cdg's we are playing yet they are just out of reach.

joe cairo
jomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2002, 23:52   #9
StreetWalker

Re: karaoke cdg's etc.

joe cairo,

You have many options for doing CDG karaoke on your PC.

1. WinAmp3 Player is FREE:
- cdg plugin uses MP3+G files (cannot play a cdg directly from the drive)
- PaceMaker (key changer) plugin (only works with WinAmp2)
- MP3+G Toolz 2.0.9 standalone program converts CDG to MP3+G files

2. PlayCDG PE $29. Plays CDG's directly from the drive and .mcg files. Go to website: http://www.cavsusa.com/

3. Hoster by MTU $450. Best one but too expensive. Go to website: http://www.mtu.com.

Quote:
A "bush league" outfit called GoldenHawk Technologies has a program that will allow you to burn in CDG/.KAR format, but not read what you've written.
I've been using Golden Hawk CDRWIN for 6 years and they're one of the best on the market. Don't be fooled by the simple user interface as Golden Hawk has expertise with the important stuff: the CD-RW recording technology. You have to learn how to make que files.

I use a 300 CDG Carousel full of CDG's. CDG's have the same sound quality as a regular CD. If you want to spend $450 I recommend Hoster otherwise any of the above programs will be fine.

Steve
Old 9th October 2002, 15:55   #10
jomama

bush league

i will grudginly allow that GoldenHawks program works...in a limited degree. I was more put off by their totally condescending attitude in dealiang with the niche Karaoke market.

They did not design CDRWIN to serve Karaoke enthusiasts. It is an afterthought to their core business and they are demonstrably unconcerned about supporting our needs. They have proven this to me repeatedly in word and deed.

To me, biting a hand that feeds you is not in your long-term best interest. while it remains true that they are unchallenged in the marketplace, that will NOT remain the case.

"Bush League" is a term that refers to amatuerish, second -tier effort and that is what GoldenHawk has displayed over and over again.

Whatever entity develops a similar product and then acts in a professional manner to market it, with the customers needs in focus, will capture most, if not all, of the Karaoke business.

joe cairo
jomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2002, 03:29   #11
StreetWalker

Re: bush league

jomama,

As I said before Golden Hawk is one of the best in CD-RW recording an have a very successful business. You can get this software for $39 at http://www.goldenhawk.com/.

Quote:
I was more put off by their totally condescending attitude in dealiang with the niche Karaoke market.
The tech support has been very professional over the past six years I have been their customer. I have renewed by maintenance ($19)to keep current every year. If anybody is being condescending and arrogant it is you! If you don't like the user interface, then don't buy it.
How many "minutes" of experience do you have with Golden Hawk?

Quote:
"Bush League" is a term that refers to amatuerish, second -tier effort and that is what GoldenHawk has displayed over and over again.
Again you are condescending and arrogant. Grow up!
Old 9th December 2007, 19:05   #12
neo3d

Re: Re: karaoke cdg's etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by StreetWalker
[B]joe cairo,

You have many options for doing CDG karaoke on your PC.

1. WinAmp3 Player is FREE:
- cdg plugin uses MP3+G files (cannot play a cdg directly from the drive)
- PaceMaker (key changer) plugin (only works with WinAmp2)
- MP3+G Toolz 2.0.9 standalone program converts CDG to MP3+G files
How do you play a CDG file directly with the plugin? Do you drop the CDG file in or the MP3 that is associated with it?

It would be nice to be able to get this to work.
neo3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 20:14   #13
StreetWalker

Re: Re: Re: karaoke cdg's etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by neo3d
How do you play a CDG file directly with the plugin? Do you drop the CDG file in or the MP3 that is associated with it? It would be nice to be able to get this to work.
It's been a long time since I made that last post and alot has changed. Now I use WinAmp 5.5, PaceMaker 2.1 and mp3+g plug-in 1.4. A second mp3+g plug-in has been available for some time now that allows playing a CDG directly from the drive. This plug-in is the ideal solution but it never worked right on my PC after many attempts and working with the author. To play a cdg directly from the drive I use PlayCD+G PE from CAVS. I have alot trouble lately playing other peoples CDG's which may be due to:

1. the drive which is less forgiving than a CDG Player
2. Window XP and/or all the security crap
3. scratched CDGs and some CDG protection schemes
4. interaction between players and/or resources

My basic use of WinAmp, PaceMaker and the CDG plug-in is very stable over 4-6 hours with dual screen operation. Some the the problems mentioned above somethimes appear when opening multiple windows and using more resources.

Here are some links:
http://forums.winamp.com
Olli Parviainen [oparviai@iki.fi] for cdg plug-in
Yannick Heneault [support@physysteme.com] for pacemaker

Steve
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support