Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 16th December 2003, 23:50   #1
Cheezychops
Major Dude

Sonic Problem

Ok, 4 people have come into #winamptech with this problem.

All of them were running Windows XP (i know 3 of them had xp pro). Winamp 5 would not start up for them, or take over 1.5 minutes to start up. Through process of elimination it was found that the Sonic option was causing winamp not to start.
Cheezychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 17:24   #2
Cheezychops
Major Dude

Ok, 1 more person in #winamptech witht he same problem, running xp pro.

and this: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=160169
Old 17th December 2003, 19:54   #3
Cheezychops
Major Dude

Ok, yet another person with the problem with Sonic.

That makes 7 people now.
Old 18th December 2003, 04:01   #4
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Does this happen After you Reboot as well?
Dazog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 04:04   #5
Cheezychops
Major Dude

I never thought of telling anyone to do that, I will ask the next person to come in with the problem to reboot, and we will see.

Btw, i wish i could provide more information, i run 2k myself, and my other computer runs XP pro on a 233 MHz, so i cant judge start up time on that. I will try to find a computer with XP pro to test it on.

Last edited by Cheezychops; 18th December 2003 at 05:22.
Old 18th December 2003, 09:28   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

More Sonic Engine / MyDVD / RecordNow! (ref) conflicts/related issues:

The ordinal 373 could not be located in the dynamic link library PX.dll
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=157326
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....37#post1202637
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=163057
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=164623 (MS Digital Photo Studio)

Directsound output v2.2.8 error
Error creating Directsound Buffer. Error Code 80070057
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....30#post1206730

Burning process not working (unsupported cd-rw drives?)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=162244
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=163080

Winamp Equalizer Not Responding (hang on load under Win98SE)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=165088

CD Ripping Error: can't open decoder, aborting (wnaspi32 related)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=162603
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 06:45   #7
Galron

Crash when ripping >1 cd at once

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, or wether i should be in the 5.01 bugs thread

ver - 5.01pro
OS - Win2ksp4
DX - 9.0b
gigabyte 7va mo bo/512mb ram/athlon1700+
gf4ti4200 8x w/ 128mb ram 52.16 drivers
sb live basic & avance ac97 for via sound.

I have 2 cd/dvd roms installed in my system, a pioneer 4x dvd reader & mitsubishi 40x32x10 cdrw. When i try to rip from both drives at once winamp crashes in < 10 seconds

it is always reproduceable.

Also, the new winamp looks good. good work ppl
Galron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 08:05   #8
Galron

Re: Crash when ripping >1 cd at once

Quote:
Originally posted by Galron
forgot to attach crashlog, shame this cant be done in an edit
Attached Files
File Type: txt crashlog.txt (20.2 KB, 1831 views)
Old 22nd December 2003, 10:44   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Did you follow the links I posted?
Did you reboot before using the Sonic Engine?
Any other Sonic Solutions products installed?

Thanks for the log.

btw, yes, this is the right place to post all Sonic Ripping/Burning related bugs.

To all:

Please read "How to Write a Useful Bug Report" and the first post in the
"Winamp 5.0x Bugs" threads to ensure you post a fully detailed and valid bug report.
Be sure to also include CD/DVD drive make/model with your System Specs.
Your report is useless without this info.
Old 22nd December 2003, 21:18   #10
Galron

Went through those links. re-did my px.dll, even though it was the same vertion as i alredy had with no joy. running px.dll ver 1.6.14.507

I do run v 4.5 of sonic foundry sound forge, but i think thats a different sonic. I cant think of anything else but will check other things that you request
Old 7th January 2004, 09:37   #11
Galron

System load while cd ripping

One thing that I have noticed is that while cd ripping my system becomes extreamly slow. I expect 100% cpu utilisation, however I belive that 2 days of cd ripping (20-30 odd cd's) has been the cause of a loss of system time in the order of 10+ minutes. To establish this as the cause I have not ripped a cd for several days and found my system in time. I use a time syncroniser prog for this task.

I have begun ripping cd's again, but am running winamp with a thread priority of below normal, rather than normal to see what affect this has. It may be something for the programming team to consiter for future releses adjuesting the thread priority either on the cd ripping part or on the whole winamp when ripping starts.

I will pass on my findings, whatever they are. I run the ripping at unlimmited speed in the ripping options
Old 12th January 2004, 02:23   #12
Galron

OK, after running as I said I would in the last post, running winamp with a below normal thread priority does not have the same affect on time (as mentioned) in my system as running with a normal thread priority. The system time did move on my system, but only several seconds rather than many minutes.

again a consiteration for developers for the next relese
Old 13th January 2004, 11:57   #13
nickpon

I've had this problem too. First, the installer could warn that the Sonic installation would need Administrator's rights. Until I tried installing it as an admin, it just said something about 'problem installing components (-1)', then WA didn't run AT ALL. (even from installer to register something). I mean it was in the memory for 3-4 secs, then it silently vanished.

Installation w/out sonic worked perfectly.

Then I thought it would be a great idea to install from under administrator's account. So i did. The installation worked, but winamp still refused to start.

Then went to your site and saw this thread. I restarted my PC (this is what the Installer should do for me, i think). The I launched WA5, and it worked (startup time ~2/6 secs). Ripping also works.

And yes, I've always made the 'clean' install. And this was the matter with rc8 as well. That time I thought it was a beta-proble and it would be fixed for 5.0, and didn't run that at all.

And no, no cd-related programs running in background.

And no, I think no other Sonic products.

My specs: WindowsXP+sp1 featuring Winamp5.01, TEAC CD-W552E (rewriter), Cel 2Ghz, ram 256MB.
(if you're intrested, the video card is gf2mx400, audio is still ac97, mb: gigabyte 8pe800)
Other rippers/burners function correctly.
nickpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 16:07   #14
milleniaweb

I've had a problem with the engine preparing the files Ok, but then when it tries to burn it comes up with "Error opening encoder in Winamp 2.x" - any ideas.
I'm running Win XP Pro, with 256mb(I think) memory, and a Freecom CD-RW
milleniaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2004, 03:59   #15
norky

ripping vbr high quality, songs stutter at the end. the timer will go to 0:00 then jump back to 0:02 then go on. files rip fine if i disable use sonic extraction engine
norky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 16:13   #16
JOHNE069

I had the same problem but found a version of px.dll that
cures the problem...don't know yet if it creates other problems yet with any other programs but it did solve this one. This is the paradox engine dynamic link library file that's causing this thus the "px.dll". Anyone wants to try the dll file I have that works for me e-mail me and I'll mail it to you.
JOHNE069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 22:48   #17
danmonkey

CD Burn Failing on WinXP with Winamp5

winamp version: v5.03
winXP version: XP Pro 2002 SP1
PC Mem: 512mb
PC Proc: P4 2ghz
CD/RW: Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-332B

I first selected some 320 bitrate mp3's to burn, which have (as far as im aware) burnt fine, it seemed to take a fair while as i had selected 4x speed this was understandable.

A little later i chose to burn a different album, which were 256 bitrate mp3's. It seemed to "prepare" them fine? i noticed a little slowdown on the machine as expected. The first time i tried i'd used a cheap CDR and wasn't suprised it didn't work, but after trying it again with an expensive CDR i was rather disappointed.

First time i had .cda files each 44bytes in size, on a practically inaccessible disc (took ages to spin up). Second time some of the files did burn and are playable, but others haven't burned properly, even though the .cda files are all present.
danmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:44   #18
Knocks

I burned an audio CD with Winamp 5 with very strange results. The CD wouldn't play in my friend's car at all. In my car it plays OK but shows to have 99 tracks, when in fact it only has 21 songs. So after the 21st song, it hangs.

I used the same media, Fujifilm (TY-Japan) as I usually use with Nero.
Knocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 23:18   #19
andy370

After installing Winamp 5.03a (non pro), my Roxio CD burining of music CD's would die after just a few minutes of burining. There was no problem with data CD's. After about a dozen incompleted CD's I concluded it was in fact Winamp 5's SONIC CD app that was the problem. So I tried burning the cd using it (at the reduced 2x speed). It got further through, but this time I got an error that the deviced had been detached partway through a track and that buring was "complete". When I checked 'My Computer', my CD Burner Drive had disappeared! I'm going to reboot now and see if I can get it back but I still have no way of buring an audio CD!

----
Windows 2000 Pro, Winamp 5.03a(non-pro), Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0, TDK 8x(CD-R speed), 512MB ram, 1500MHz.
andy370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 09:39   #20
vn-valent

Send a message via Yahoo to vn-valent
Another SILLY BUG

I have discovered a -SILLY- -SERIOUS- Winamp bug (problem), It's the CD burning engine. It burns so WELL, ok. But everytime the CD was being burned when an application try to access the CD drive (Windows Explorer or SaveFile Dialog, for example), Winamp automatically EJECTS the CD and STOP the burning Process (Winamp tells DONE, but actually it's not done, and the CDR became unusable). The favourite program Nero Buring ROM does NOT meet your problem because -I think- the program had locked and blocked any access to the CD-drive while it's burning. You can check the bug easily by trying to burn a CD by Winamp and when the CD is being Written, open "My Computer" .
Hic, I had made 3 CDRs unusable before I discovered this bug.
Fixing the bug is very important because, I need to work with other applications while the CD is being burned (my computer is not so slow so that I prefer multi-tasking than only burning), and the other applications NEED to save files, open files... etc using CommonDiaglogs. I dont want to make my discs unusable by a Winamp's shitty silly bug while acessing CD Drive.

Hope you fix the problem soon.

PS: If possible, send me a 'patch' for that bug, as soon as possible.

Thank-you.

huantnh@lovelyCDzone.ORG
vn-valent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 22:45   #21
etomlinson

I was having the same problem as vn-valent a while ago. I stopped using sonic/winamp to burn CDs and now I just create a playlist which I drag into Nero, which works perfectly.

[edit > JonnyMac] @ benmca…
your post has been split and moved to a new thread [/edit]
etomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 01:26   #22
stapletm

Same problem - "The Ordinal 422...PX.dll" not found at start up. XP Pro. Yes, disbling the ripper fixes problem, but then I can't rip. Surely Winamp has a cure? Buy the new version? Not likely, I bought this one 2 months ago. I can live with the popup on start up - too bad I have to :-(
stapletm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 02:22   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

FAQ

Sonic Burning/Ripping Engine errors/problems
http://www.somacon.com/p101.php (px.dll - ordinal 373 / 422 error)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=157326 (px.dll ordinal 373)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....37#post1202637 (px.dll ordinal 373)

ps. btw, all Pro upgrades are free
Old 20th May 2006, 13:12   #24
Szereck

I have found a solution to the px.dll problem. The file that other threads does not work. I did a google search on px.dll and found the following site. http://www.genie-soft.com/asp/Commun...le.asp?KBID=59

Download the file it mentions. You do not need the software that this site is for nor do you have to unzip the file to the folder it tells you to unzip to. Unzip to a new folder. Doesn't matter what you name it. Run the file the site mentions and then copy px.dll from your %system% folder and paste it into your winamp folder. I also placed it in the plugins folder and system folder inside the winamp folder as well just to be redundant. After doing this I no longer got any ordinal errors. ( I was getting Ordinal 422 with Version 5.21)

Note: %System% dir
Win9x = C:\Windows\System
Win2k = C:\WinNT\System32
WinXP = C:\Windows\System32
Where C: is the drive where Windows is installed

Hope this helps people out.
Szereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 16:22   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, strange.

The px.dll file linked to in this old thread is porobably out of date.
The latest one which works with Winamp 5.21 is linked to here (c/o the FAQ)
Old 12th August 2008, 14:18   #26
byfelidae

Re: Sonic Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezychops
Ok, 4 people have come into #winamptech with this problem.

All of them were running Windows XP (i know 3 of them had xp pro). Winamp 5 would not start up for them, or take over 1.5 minutes to start up. Through process of elimination it was found that the Sonic option was causing winamp not to start.
I have a simple solution for you guys. You can simply disable Sonic feature. Just remember, if you disable that feature, it might causes same several problems. For example, you can not burn a CD correctly. Winamp is warning you: "Disabling this option will instruct Winamp to rip via a third pary ASPI driver or, if not available, using the native NT SCSI API." But it is a temporary caution anyway.

Disabling Sonic: Single click to "Options" menu on main Winamp window, then clik "Preferences". On Winamp Preferences Window select to CD Ripping at left side then click "Ripping" tab. You must see "Advanced Ripping Settings". Uncheck the little box and close the Window. Thats it! You can restart Winamp now if you want to sure.
byfelidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports