Old 23rd December 2003, 11:09   #1
dantooine

winamp 5.01 crashes when run by unprivileged user

Hi,

we're running winamp on a win2k box with restrictive permissions to prevent modification of executables by browser bugs. Sadly winamp tries to modify some files when running wihtout reporting their names. So I'm unable to grant rights to those files only as a workaround. The only thing winamp does, is exiting after some seconds.

I don't belive, that the hardware/driver has any impact on this topic. Win2k is up-to date due to active auto update.

winamp's build-time was December 19th, 2003.

thanks,
dantooine
Old 23rd December 2003, 12:45   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

This is not a bug. Yes, Winamp 5 needs read and write access to files in the Program Files\Winamp dir. If you installed the full package, then it also requires access to some files in the %System% dir, namely the Sonic CD Burning/Ripping drivers, and the Video codecs and DirectShow filters. The Now Playing section of the media library uses (ie. it is a front end for) the Internet Explorer engine. Access to the registry is also required.

Alas, Winamp 5 does not currently support mulitple user installation (this is planned for a future 5.x release), nor limited user accounts. It is strongly recommended that it is installed to/on an administrator account, where you can then use a plugin such as Winamp Profiler (latest version) and/or Winamp Password.

You cab use SysInternals Filemon to determine the exact files being accessesd.
Old 30th December 2003, 23:47   #3
cphansonWU

I wonder if my problem is the same as yours... I am running WinXP Pro on a PIII box. I installed as an admin, then I have a limited account so my roommates can log in and play music without getting into my files. Runs fine in my admin account, but when I play on the limited account, I notice several problems:
*Winamp is slower to open
*You can play a track, but the time doesn't count down, and Winamp crashes out giving me an error that WinXP wants to report to Microsoft:
"AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.0.0.1 ModName: gen_ml.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000825d"

After reading your post, I believe this is due to Winamp 5 not supporting limited user accounts... can you confirm this? When will this support be added? Seems like a critical piece of the software!

I love this new version by the way. Winamp 3 was crap... never used it much... I stuck with 2.9x. This is the best of both worlds!
Old 30th December 2003, 23:58   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Try moving/copying the Winamp dir to the Shared Documents folder
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

Sorry, I don't know exactly when multiple user support will be implemented.
All I know is that it's in the wishlist
and it's on the 5.x agenda.
Old 31st December 2003, 00:21   #5
cphansonWU

Ok... I'll try copying the Winamp folder to the shared docs folder. I assume you mean uninstalling and then reinstalling using that as the install path.

I found an alternative fix... its not pretty but it has the desired effect.

1. Change the limited account to an admin account (allows you to do step 2).
2. Login to the (previously) limited account and install Winamp 5.01 to a different path (you'll have two installations).
3. Change the account back to a limited account.

The final result is that Winamp works on both accounts (my admin account, and the limited account for my roomies) as you would expect if Winamp supported limited accounts: settings and "remembered" playlists are separate. Works like a charm so far... I'll post again if I run into any problems with this configuration.

I expect that if I try the suggested solution, I will share settings and playlist "memory" with the other account... so maybe this is a better solution? Your thoughts?

-cphansonWU-

4. ???
5. Profit!!
Old 9th January 2004, 14:03   #6
trunksy

Quote:
Originally posted by cphansonWU
Ok... I'll try copying the Winamp folder to the shared docs folder. I assume you mean uninstalling and then reinstalling using that as the install path.

I found an alternative fix... its not pretty but it has the desired effect.

1. Change the limited account to an admin account (allows you to do step 2).
2. Login to the (previously) limited account and install Winamp 5.01 to a different path (you'll have two installations).
3. Change the account back to a limited account.

The final result is that Winamp works on both accounts (my admin account, and the limited account for my roomies) as you would expect if Winamp supported limited accounts: settings and "remembered" playlists are separate. Works like a charm so far... I'll post again if I run into any problems with this configuration.

I expect that if I try the suggested solution, I will share settings and playlist "memory" with the other account... so maybe this is a better solution? Your thoughts?

-cphansonWU-

4. ???
5. Profit!!

Hmmm, I think I'll stick with WinAmp 2. Having multiple copies of the same program for each user on the system is annoying (too much work).
Old 9th January 2004, 20:01   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You don't need to install multiple copies...

See this thread just a few posts down:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=162363

Either install to the Shared Documents folder
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

Or set permissions for the Program Files\Winamp folder to Full for all users.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports