Old 3rd February 2004, 18:41   #1
mlu

Winamp Freezing at Startup

My Winamp won't start. In the running programs, it comes up as 'Winamp Equalizer', and there is a small area in my screen where when my mouse passes over it, it becomes an hourglass. I've only had two occasions when it would finally open into Winamp, each of them taking almost 5 minutes. However, if it doesn't open, it locks up my entire system.
I know there have been other people with this problem, but none of te solutions I've tried have worked. Ive followed the unistall/reinstall procedure many times, but the problem still persists.
I am also having problems running video files when I can get them running. The sound comes through, but the video window doesn't open. I open it manually, but there is still no image.
I -did- have sonic software installed, but I have uninstalled it, and then went with the reinstall procedure in winamp. Even with it uninstalled, winamp continues this problem.

System:
Authentic AMD
Mobile AMD Athlon 4Processor
120 MB RAM
Soundcard: Conexant AC-Link Audio
DirectX: 9.0
mlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2004, 20:34   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, there's only been one other case of this weird "Winamp Equalizer" issue, and it was never resolved . . . mainly because the user refused to answer any of my questions (regardless of whether they were important/relevant or not), insulted everyone and ended up being banned.

[edit] oops, make that two [/edit]

Yes, we would very much like to get to the bottom of this, but alas, no-one knows what/how/why. Though it looks like it's Win98SE specific...

You say you've uninstalled, deleted the winamp dir, deleted winamp.ini (windows dir), reinstalled... as per these instructions.
Have you tried reinstalling but without support for Burning/Ripping (for now, just for troubleshooting purposes)?

Winamp 5.x installer > Audio File Support: uncheck "Sonic Burning/Ripping Engine".
Note, you'll still be able to rip with Winamp by using aspi instead of sonic.

Does the problem persist if you choose a classic skin, instead of a modern skin?

With Winamp closed, try editing winamp.ini in the Winamp dir as follows:

[WinampAgent]
is_intray=0
check_fta=0

[Winamp]

dspplugin_name=

splash=0
taskbar=0

keeponscreen=1
priority=1

newverchk=0
newverchk2=0

autoload_eq=0
use_eq=0

minimized=0

eq_open=0

randskin=0

skin=

outname=out_wave.dll

Note: "skin=" will make winamp load with the classic base skin.
Also note, setting output to out_wave.dll is recommended for Win98/ME systems. Whereas out_ds.dll (DirectSound Ouput) is still recommended for Win2k/XP/2003.

Also edit winamp.ini in the Windows dir accordingly:

needreg=0

And edit gen_ml.ini (Winamp\Plugins dir) as follows:

visible=0

bgrescan_do=0
bgrescan_startup=0

dbloadatstart=0

Let us know if you get Winamp to open after making these changes.

Apart from all ^that^, the only other things I can suggest are already referred to in the following threads:

Freeze-up / slow startup issues:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=163105
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=160920
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=160147

btw, is this a Laptop / Notebook?
What's the make/model# ?
Is everything updated? (drivers, etc etc)

A StartUpList log might also help ?!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2004, 04:00   #3
mlu

I don't know what exactly happened, but changing those directories did work.

It is a laptop, specificaly, a Fujitsu Lifebook A Series. As far as I am aware all of the drivers and things are updated; and I had tried installing it without the sonic software or any burning equipment installed.

Note: I went ahead and changed the skin, and that wasn't the problem, neither was the equalizer being shown, because now I can bring it up just fine like that. I couldn't find these data entries in the gen_ml.ini file:
bgrescan_do=0
bgrescan_startup=0
dbloadatstart=0

So I added them in.

Thanks again, if you have any more questions if you want to try and narrow the problem down, please feel free to ask.
mlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2004, 15:56   #4
Scorch999

Disabling the Sonic burn/rip plugin from the "Audio Files Support" category during install will fix this issue. The bug has been isolated and we are now trying to narrow down the problem to get it fixed.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=165088
Scorch999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 19:36   #5
xlars

Winamp would not start

Thank you for posting this, I just bought the new 5.03 and after running winamp for ages on win98se the new one would not run and it was very frustrating.

After installation, running the first time, i would get this empty box, and winamp and the winamp equalizer would show up in task manager but it would never get beyond that point. uninstalling, removing the winamp.ini file from c:\windows, and reinstalling without the cd ripping feature fixed it.

Is that a bug or something wrong with my system? I don't really need the feature, I'm just curious to see if other people are having this problem.
xlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 23:29   #6
tisuang

After three weeks of problems with my winamp, I have edited these files with success.

My gen_ml.ini file also don't had the following data entries:

visible=0
bgrescan_do=0
bgrescan_startup=0
dbloadatstart=0

Thanks to DJ Egg.
tisuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 13:06   #7
ken22

Send a message via Yahoo to ken22
I just want to update this thread, that the methods discussed here really works.

Previously, starting up WinAmp is like Starting up an old 1930's farm wagon on a winter morning. It takes patience, time and alot more patience from not using a sledge on the PC.

Anyway, cut to the chase, I did everything on the sticky post in the main forum a couple of times, but nothing really helps. Then I read this thread and disabled the "Sonic rip/watever" thingie and selected Classic WinAmp skin during installation. It worked like ******. WinAmp got up as fast as my left finger left the left mouse button of my Microsoft Mouse.

After that, I put it through a rigorous tests. The first thing is I modified the Winamp.ini(WinAmp Equalizer no longer starts up together with WinAmp and turned off). After that, On and Off numerous times. I find it start up alittle slower compared to when I first start it up on the first run after a clean uninstall/install ritual. I guess everyone prefers a virgin. Anyway, on the next move, I left my WinAmp Equalizer turned on and showed up together with my WinAmp classic main window. On and Off numerous times. Abit slower, but nothing too drastic.

Moving on, I turned on WinAmp modern skin. Not much difference in getting up speed. Takes about 5 seconds tops.

I guess this solved my problem, for now.

Is there any patch for this coming up soon?

My WinAmp needs more dosage of ******. Thanks!
ken22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 14:08   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What's your Windows OS? Also Win98SE?
Was this happening with Winamp 5.12?
What's your CD Drive(s) make/model(s)?
Do you have any other Sonic products installed, or products which use the Sonic Engine? (eg. MyDVD, MyCD, RecordNow, Roxio, MS Digital Photo Suite)
Old 24th January 2006, 16:44   #9
ken22

Send a message via Yahoo to ken22
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
What's your Windows OS? Also Win98SE?
Was this happening with Winamp 5.12?
What's your CD Drive(s) make/model(s)?
Do you have any other Sonic products installed, or products which use the Sonic Engine? (eg. MyDVD, MyCD, RecordNow, Roxio, MS Digital Photo Suite)

I am using Windows XP Professional with SP2.

Yup, it was happening with WinAmp 5.12 (Bundle) as well. I just couldnt be patience anymore and too bad I cant afford to buy a sledgehammer

I am using a very old Samsung DVD-ROM and an Imation CD-RW drives.

Nope, no other Sonic products that you mentioned here, that I am using nor used before.

Hope that helps!!
ken22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 20:54   #10
djsnakehipschri

Hi there!

I am also having this Winamp equaliser problem. I have not attampted the fix yet, but thought I had better post cos I am also using a fujitsi siemens laptop, this time a c-series 1020.

I tried a few different winamp versions, still the same. I dont have any software that I dont have on my desktop PC that could conflict.

Anyway, hope that helps, would be happy to answer any more q's, email me at djsnakehipschris@hotmail.com. Wish me luck with the fix! I'm just happy i'm not the only person with this problem!

Thanks,

Chris
djsnakehipschri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:13   #11
djsnakehipschri

Hi again,

Well the fix as described above didn't work

I get the same problem (Winamp doesn't load) but now I don't get the equaliser window.

Help!! I can't live with out winamp on my laptop!

Chris
djsnakehipschri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 23:35   #12
morb0

Mine will do that occasionally, sit with just the EQ box for about 5 seconds, then it gets over itself & opens correctly. Yay.
morb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 11:27   #13
Dr.Casy

same problem
Dr.Casy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 12:04   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmmm.... old thread revived.
Winamp 5.51 won't even install on Win98SE
Win9x is no longer supported, and the problem outlined in this thread was Win98-specific.
Old 10th September 2008, 18:59   #15
rhughes

Winamp 5.54 Freezing on startup

Winamp has suddenly started freezing up when it starts. Doesn't matter if I start it from the menu or from Explorer by right-clicking on an MP3, OGG, etc.
Although the window does come up it is completely DEAD, does not show up on the Task Manager Applications tab and can only be killed by picking it out on the Task Manager Processes tab and stopping the process.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled it twice but no joy.

It was working fine two days ago. I fear something in the latest Windows XP patch set has hosed it.

My current configuration is Windows XP Pro SP2.

any ideas would be appreciated. I hate Media Player...
rhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 18:30   #16
Disasterpiece

I have similar problems and resetting the settings in the .ini's (the way DJ Egg explained) kinda solved it, but why do I have to do that everytime I want to launch WA? Nonetheless, it does not always work.
Details about my PC - see my sig.
Thanks.

ECS nForce3-A | AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2000 | 1GB DDR400 A-Data | WD Caviar Black 500GB | ATi Radeon 9550 128MB/128bit | Yamaha YMF724F-V & Sennheiser HD-555 | Samsung SyncMaster 206BW

Last edited by Disasterpiece; 1st October 2008 at 19:12.
Disasterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support