Old 12th February 2004, 09:20   #1
PeteRoy

Send a message via ICQ to PeteRoy Send a message via AIM to PeteRoy
WA5 Takes too long to startup

I really like Winamp 5 but I just installed Winamp 2.91 again for one main and very important reason.

Winamp 2.91 starts immediatly when you click on the icon. I don't know maybe Winamp 5 loads up fast on new computers but on my P3 733mhz, 384MB memory Winamp 5 takes around 10 seconds to load where 2.91 loads up in 1 second.

So above all, make Winamp 5 start faster, thanks.
PeteRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 09:27   #2
DJ_Vipa

heh, that was my baff against winamp3 - only reason i ever used winamp was cos it loaded up instantly. winamp 5 is much faster than 3, but still lacks that instantaneous start-up.

If you limit the install options so that its just there to play ur music, and no crap u dont need like visualisations, burning cd's etc it might be quicker.
DJ_Vipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 09:50   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

...or just use a classic skin instead of a modern skin

Takes about 2 or 3 secs on my pc to load up with the default modern skin.
Loads instantly with any classic skin.

The other alternative is simply to stop closing it,
and leave it open all the time like me

Though there are quite a few config tweaks you can make to speed up load time...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 15:57   #4
theknub
Major Dude

dj egg... i think i have tweaked out my wa5 install prety well, but what tweaks are you thinking of?

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 19:22   #5
Kado

I have the "show splash screen" option enabled so I don't really care about the loading/starting time! I like splash screens cause it gives a nicer look to the program! Winamp is going in the right path! Keep the good work!

Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2004, 01:40   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ theknub

well, for one, unless you're gonna use it, don't install support for cd burning/ripping (sonic engine has to load each time winamp opens).

Or, at least uncheck "use sonic engine" in Prefs > CD Ripping.

Also, in Prefs...

Media Library > Library Options tab
Checkmark: do not load database at startup
Media Importing tab
Uncheck: Rescan folders at startup

General Preferences
Uncheck:
Show splash screen
Check for new versions at startup
Allow Winamp to report anon usage stats

If you're opening Winamp by loading a large folder of MP3's via Explorer context menus...
Prefs > Titles
Checkmark: Read metadata when files are played/viewed

There's other things like:
Prefs > File Types > Restore file associations at startup
But, unless you don't have any other intrusive players installed, I recommend you keep this checkmarked

Likewise for Global Hotkeys.
If you don't use them, disable it.
All Gen plugins load at Winamp startup, same with all Input plugins too; and the active dsp plugin, if one is selected).

There's probably a few more too,
eg. font settings in Modern Skins > Font Rendering, etc etc.

But if you use any Classic skin, then loadup times should be pretty much the same as 2.9x, on any cpu.
Old 13th February 2004, 01:42   #7
theknub
Major Dude

@dj egg
hmm... didn't even think about the font stuff or sonic engine, just figured if i didn't use it then no biggie... i'll give that a quick uninstall (and change a few other things)... thanks

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 11:56   #8
Noyabronok

still too long

I reinstalled winamp without the cd burning, video support, modern skin support and it still takes 5 minutes to start up. I also configured the options mentioned in the beginning of this thread as well and it doesn't help. Any other suggestions???

I guess I could just go back to winamp 2. The only plugin I used is reproduction control aka hotkeys. I like the radio and tv feature, but I can choose the radio and tv stations on some website like shoutcast, right?

Alex
Noyabronok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 16:53   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

1. Clean install
2. Like The Wind
3. Still having problems?
Old 13th June 2004, 12:36   #10
Noyabronok

fixed it

I didn't have the chance to follow the instructions you gave me, but while going throught he software add/remove list I notice about 3 items that belonged to winamp that I haven't used in a long time. One was reproduction control, the second one was some dancing girl visualizer, and the third one being some file writing plugin. I removed all 3, (one of them was a dead link I think) and now winamp 5 starts up instantaneously with the classic skin, and after 2 or 3 seconds with the modern skin. Woohoo! Now, if I could only figure out why I can't load any new skins that would be nice. Maybe I will have to follow the clean install procedure to fix that problem after all.
Old 14th June 2004, 20:18   #11
Gay Fag
Banned

I have found that getting my very large, masculine penis out of my computer speeds up loading my favorite gay fag application, Winamp. I suggest you try the same my good man.
Gay Fag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2004, 01:55   #12
Noyabronok

idiot
Old 16th May 2005, 17:07   #13
Crazier

WA5 and long startup

I installed WA5 a couple days ago. I noticed right away that it would try to access the internet everytime I opened up winamp. I have cable internet and when I have my modem on....winamp loads in 2 seconds. However, when I have my modem turned off...it takes 25 seconds for winamp to load...while winamp looks for an active internet connection.

I have turned off the Sonic burning/ripping software. I have followed all the other suggestions for the freeze/slow loading of WA5. Nobody has brought up the fact of the internet.....I know I can't be the only one.

Running WinXP pro....AMC Athlon XP 1600....1.40Ghz...512MB of RAM----although I think this info is going to be useless in this case.

I can't find any options to stop winamp from accessing the internet when it loads.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Crazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 17:12   #14
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
There's a known bug/inconvenience in 5.09 where a New Online Media check feature will access a channel list. That ought to be the cause for your slowdown. It should be noted, however, that there is currently no option to disable it. It should be fixed in time for 5.091 or future versions.
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 19:38   #15
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
Quote:
Originally posted by jmatthews112
There's a known bug/inconvenience in 5.09 where a New Online Media check feature will access a channel list. That ought to be the cause for your slowdown. It should be noted, however, that there is currently no option to disable it. It should be fixed in time for 5.091 or future versions.
THERE IS AN OPTION TO DISABLE IT. Someone should really add this to a sticky :?

Just disable like in the attached image.
Attached Images
File Type: png aol_videos.png (26.4 KB, 1739 views)

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 19:47   #16
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Dextro, check this out: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....83#post1671583
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 19:50   #17
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
Quote:
Originally posted by jmatthews112
Dextro, check this out: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....83#post1671583
Still I tried disabling that and completely blocked winamp access to the web using my firewall and asked for prompt: it didn't prompt a thing.

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 20:39   #18
Crazier

Thanks for the quick and informative answers. I have turned off all of those in the screen that d3x7rO captured......and it still has the same problem with no internet connection.

I will eagerly await the new version of Winamp.

Thanks again
Crazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 00:51   #19
BlackTurtle

Send a message via AIM to BlackTurtle
I realize it's been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread, but I finally got around to looking here for a solution to my problem. I've had Winamp 5.32 for awhile now, and it takes roughly fifty seconds to load. I've read this entire thread, done about everything that I could personally do that was mentioned in this thread, and it still takes forever to load. I have a Sound Blaster Live! sound card and I wonder if this may be the problem. I've downloaded the newest drivers for it, but I still have this problem. I also try to keep all the drivers for my hardware updated as much as possible, and i can't think of anything else. If you can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
BlackTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 01:48   #20
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Hi BlackTurtle, and welcome to the forums!

Instead of looking for answers in, and posting to a years-old thread where some things may no longer apply due to Winamp version changes and added/ revised/ changed features, why not instead look at more recent threads?

OK... this is what Egg posted above almost 4 years ago...
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
1. Clean install
2. Like The Wind
3. Still having problems?
Numbers 1 and 3 links still apply. Number 2 is outdated, but a revised and up-to-date page for 'Like The Wind' can be found in my post HERE, along with other useful tips.

Also, read through the more recent Leaner alternative thread for more tips on getting your Winamp to run faster.

But most importantly, Get rid of the old buggy 5.32 version you are now using and upgrade to the latest version. Upgrade to the currently supported version (as of the time of this post, that would be v5.52).

If you still experience slow loading after having read through and followed all the advice in the above linked-to threads, then follow these Clean Install Instructions (takes you to the same instructions as #1 link posted by Egg years ago), and don't forget to read through and supply the Information required when posting and the List of plugins.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion