Old 1st December 2004, 19:44   #1
MoeGreene

ID3v2 track number missing

Howdy.

Winamp 5.06 doesn't seem to recognise the track number correctly on some (lots) of mp3 files. Now, I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been like this but I can't say for sure when I first noticed it. I've checked in other applications and hardware players and they all can read the track number from the id3 tag.

The files are encoded with lame and I suppose that most, maybe all, of them are created with the --id3v2-only parameter. Testing different configurations, etc. it seems indeed like it's the way lame writes the id3v2 tag that upsets Winamp (all other tags are AFAICT handled correctly).

Is this a known issue?
MoeGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2004, 21:07   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It's only a known issue if you're using some crappy 3rd-party mp3 plugin like in_mad or in_mp3pro.
There's NO such known problems with the default in_mp3.dll :/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2004, 22:17   #3
MoeGreene

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
It's only a known issue if you're using some crappy 3rd-party mp3 plugin like in_mad or in_mp3pro.
Nope, no 3rd-party plugins at all.

You have any suggestion on how I should go about investigating this issue? I've taken a peek, with a hex editor, at the differences between the ID3v2 tags that LAME writes and the ones that Winamp writes (when I fill in the track # manually through the 'View file info' dialog) but I am not able to draw any conclusions from it.
Old 2nd December 2004, 09:58   #4
MoeGreene

Here's what I did. I uninstalled 5.06 and installed 5.03 instead. And lo and behold, Winamp 5.03 correctly recognizes the track # encoded with ID3v2 tags, while later versions don't (I checked 5.04 & 5.05 and they were broken too).

So something happened between 5.03 and 5.04. The question is what. Should I file a bug report, and how do I do that?
Old 2nd December 2004, 11:33   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Try upgrading to 5.07 when it's released some time later today (hopefully).

If the problem persists, then for sure, post in the Bug Reports forum (you can find info in the relevant stickys - 1 | 2) - but like I said, I can't reproduce the problem as it stands :/
Old 2nd December 2004, 20:53   #6
MoeGreene

Quote:
Try upgrading to 5.07 when it's released some time later today (hopefully).
like I said, I can't reproduce the problem as it stands :/
I uninstalled and did a clean install of 5.07 but the problem remains. I've also tested some files on another system with the same results (works up to 5.03 but not in later releases).

When you say that you can't reproduce it, do you mean that you have files encoded with LAME using the --id3v2-only parameter that Winamp can read correctly?

Anyway, I'll go ahead and file a report. Thanks for your help.
Old 3rd December 2004, 05:31   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by MoeGreene
When you say that you can't reproduce it, do you mean that you have files encoded with LAME using the --id3v2-only parameter that Winamp can read correctly?

Anyway, I'll go ahead and file a report. Thanks for your help.
Yes. Virtually ALL my mp3's are encoded with LAME. And any I've downloaded from allofmp3.com have got ID3v2 tags only - and every single one of them displays the ID3v2 Track Number correctly.

Like I said, you can file a bug report, but I doubt if anyone here can reproduce it.
Alas, I've currently got no idea as to why it's happening to you :/
Old 3rd December 2004, 12:04   #8
MoeGreene

I hear you. But do you think you (or anyone else reading) could do me a favour and download this file and just check it out. Its track number should be 12.
Old 3rd December 2004, 13:00   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Strangely enough, it didn't have an ID3v2 track number, so I added it with Winamp's ID3 Editor, and all was well from thereon.

Are you using the standalone LAME.EXE or some 3rd-party software which uses lame_enc.dll
(ie. what software are you using to encode and tag the mp3's?)

Are you adding any other tags? eg. Lyrics3 or APEv2

EncSpot reports Lame 3.90, in which case you should upgrade to the latest 3.96.1 stable bundle (also includes latest lame_enc.dll).

Besides all that, I'm still at a loss...
Old 3rd December 2004, 14:25   #10
MoeGreene

Quote:
Strangely enough, it didn't have an ID3v2 track number, so I added it with Winamp's ID3 Editor, and all was well from thereon.
Yep, same here.

Quote:
Are you using the standalone LAME.EXE or some 3rd-party software which uses lame_enc.dll
I'm using EAC and the standalone lame.exe:
lame.exe --alt-preset standard --id3v2-only --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Quote:
Are you adding any other tags? eg. Lyrics3 or APEv2
Nope.

Quote:
EncSpot reports Lame 3.90, in which case you should upgrade to the latest 3.96.1 stable bundle (also includes latest lame_enc.dll).
I have been using version 3.90.3 since, well forever, by recommendations made over at Hydrogenaudio. I tested 3.96.1 and got the same results.

However, I did find something that made the trick; adding the parameter --pad-id3v2, which according to the LAME documentation "pads version 2 tags with extra 128 bytes". This made Winamp pick up the track number correctly! Do you know if there are any side effects to this usage?

Anyway, I guess Winamp's behaviour is kind of buggy, and it sure would be nice if Winamp could be fixed, especially since it used to handle this in earlier versions and I'm not too keen on updating all of my existing files. Guess I'll go file that report now.
Old 5th December 2004, 23:38   #11
gaekwad2
Foorum King

That's a bug in in_mp3, in_mpg123 reads the tracknumber (as well as every other player I tried, even WiMP).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2004, 00:23   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If gaekwad2 says so, then that's confirmation enough for me.
I've merged your new thread in Bug Reports with the Official Plugin Bug Reports sticky.
Please keep the link to the sample file alive for as long as possible. Thanks.
Old 7th December 2004, 20:16   #13
MoeGreene

Quote:
If gaekwad2 says so, then that's confirmation enough for me.
Please keep the link to the sample file alive for as long as possible. Thanks.
Will do. Thanks for all your hard work, you know it's appreciated!
Old 4th February 2005, 02:15   #14
neodem

Agreement

I have had this problem ever since I upgraded to version 5 of winamp. I have a huge library of mp3s and most of them show no track numbers in winamp. This includes the media library and the regular Alt-3 file info check.

All of my mp3s are encoded with ID3v2 only and were given tags by one of two programs:

EZ CD-DA Extractor 7.7
or
Tag&Rename v 3.0

Once I add the track numbers again using winamp they appear to stick, but I have 14,000+ songs and I'm not about to Alt-3 each one and fix their track numbers by hand.

Has any progress been made on this issue? I can provide sample files and any other info needed, please contact me. Thank you.
neodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 02:34   #15
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
... in_mpg123 reads the tracknumber...
Old 4th February 2005, 03:13   #16
neodem

Ok, I don't want to sound ignorant, but what does that mean? I clicked on your link and it took me to some crazy website with a bunch of ? symbols. Is this something that will fix my problem? If so, can you tell me how? Thanks!
neodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 18:12   #17
gaekwad2
Foorum King

It's an alternative input plugin.

The download link is under 3.
To install it you'll also need a program that can extract 7z archives (eg. 7-Zip), open the archive, in the bin folder open the right subfolder according to your CPU (SSE2:P4, SSE:P3,AthlonXP) or normal if you don't know and extract the in_mpg123.dll it contains to the winamp plugins directory.

Next (re-)start Winamp, press CTRL-P, and go to Plug-Ins > Input. Select Nullsoft MPEG Layer 1-3 etc. Decoder (in_mp3.dll), press configure and remove MP3; from its extension list (mp1 and mp2 as well if you want).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support