Old 10th February 2005, 22:52   #1
smhillusa

Can't play WMA

Sorta newbie here - using v2.76 I made some .wma files (don't ask how) expecting file size reduction, didn't get it. Anyway, downloaded Nullsoft_wma_input_plug-in v1 by DD. It put in_wm.dll in the plug-in folder and shows in Plug-ins In/Out with (No Codec Installed). The files play in WMP10. WMA is selected in Preferences/Filetypes. I sense the problem is the Codec thing. Es verdad?
ps. I assume I can have both versions 2.76 and 5.x installed at once while I evaluate and changeover, if I want.
smhillusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 00:01   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Okay...
  1. Even though you can have both versions 2.76 and 5.x installed at once, get rid of v2.76 (full of bugs and security issues and completely unsupported here)
  2. Download/install either the Full version or any of the Bundles (not Lite) of the latest version - currently Winamp 5.08d. WMA playback/support is fully supported in Full or Bundled versions (but not with the Lite version)
  3. You say you "made some .wma files (don't ask how)", but HOW is very important because if you encoded them with DRM protection "on", then you might experience problems playing them in Winamp (definitely with older pre-5.xx versions). So if that's the case, re-rip/re-encode them again, but without DRM protection
  4. If you'd like Winamp 5.08d full to run as sharply and as quickly as any older unsupported 2.xx version did, then you have the ability to UNcheck certain components during the setup process, all referenced nicely for you by DJ Egg in the Winamp 5.08+ Full/Pro - Component List
  5. Further tips & tweaks to get Winamp 5.x running smooth as silk for you are referenced in Like The Wind

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 00:39   #3
smhillusa

Re wma

Dear Nunzio,
Thank you for your reply but you failed to say how to play wma in 2.76,if,in fact,it is possible. Something about Codecs.
Thank you for the threads to/re v5.08d. I will read them at my leisure. As for the old version, I don't know about security but I'm pretty well protected and it hasn't been a problem so far. As for bugs, I haven't experienced any errata that wasn't operator error. As I read the release notes I don't see the addition of any features that I need or would use (eMusic, I don't think so!). I use a dedicated commercial burner/ripper, etc. I have used, and loved, v2.76 for years without feature envy. No one is more loyal to Nullsoft's Winamp and SHOUTcast (even considering it's relationship to AOL) than I. My playlists are adequate. I don't do many skins (retro is cool with me). Certain plug-ins may not work (SR). In v5 there is the issue of feature bloat, ad-ware, resource allocation, and perhaps, familiarity.
I will review v5 fairly and am inclined 'Pro' it, if at all. Please respond to my question, if you know the answer.
Steven
Old 11th February 2005, 01:18   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Okay Steven. We'll address a few things you said...
Quote:
you failed to say how to play wma in 2.76,if,in fact,it is possible. Something about Codecs.
I failed to say because as I already indicated, we do not/ will not offer support here for outdated and unsupported Winamp versions. It's not an issue of codecs. It's more an issue of 2.76 not having proper WMA support (2.76 Full contains an older unsupported version of the Nullsoft WMA plugin - in_wm.dll - and does not support DRM protected WMA files)
Quote:
No one is more loyal to Nullsoft's Winamp and SHOUTcast
By that I assume that you are a SHOUTcaster. Many SHOUTcasters are using Winamp 5.x, which works fine with SHOUTcast.
Quote:
In v5 there is the issue of feature bloat, ad-ware, resource allocation
  1. No bloat at all if during setup, you UNcheck the components you do not want in the Component List that DJ Egg compiled and that I referenced for you above.
  2. No resource allocation problems either providing you do the above and also tweak properly (if needed), as indicated in "Like The Wind", which I also referenced above.
  3. There is no ad-ware at all in Winamp. There is only the "option" of downloading and installing one of the E-Music Bundles (entirely up to you), and E-Music is easily removeable because it comes with an uninstaller too if it does not suit your needs. I as well as the other mods and beta testers, AFAIK, have only downloaded and are using the Full version, and none of the E-Music Bundles
My first post should have provided you with everything you need to know, including how to play WMA files as you had asked - use Winamp 5.xx Full or one of the Bundles, as well as how to get it running just as smoothly as any older 2.xx version ever did. As a FYI, I have Winamp 5.08d Full running on an old Win95 box with ALL components installed, except for Sonic Ripping/burning support, which I don't need and which can slow things down and can cause bloat. I can use the Modern Skins if I like with no problem but (as I indicated when I referenced DJ Egg's Component List for you), when you install 5.xx, you can UNcheck Modern skin support if you like. You can UNcheck the absolutely-must-have IMHO Media Library too if you like. You can UNcheck anything you like. But do not UNcheck WMA support, or the point of this whole thread is moot.
Old 11th February 2005, 01:35   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

[edit] Nunzio's last reply wasn't here when I first started typing this [/edit]

There is no adware in Winamp. If there was, then I wouldn't be using it myself.
If you click the provided links in Nunzio's post and download the plain Full version (not any of the bundles), then there will be no emusic crap, and you can also choose which features/plugins to install during setup, just like you could with 2.x Full.

Winamp 5.x is the direct continuation of 2.x.
There's been hundreds of bugs and critical security issues fixed between 2.76 to 2.91 and 5.0 to 5.08d. And it is due to this that we cannot support old versions!

The Official Winamp 2x Bug List
Fixed 5.x Bugs

You need to install the Full version of Winamp (whether 2.76 or 5.08d) for WMA support. Simply placing a WMA Input plugin in the Plugins folder won't work in some cases. With "WMA Support" checkmarked in the installation options, the Winamp Full installer also installs wmaudioredist.exe (which is the Microsoft WMA v6/v7 codecs). WMA playback won't work without that package. For WMA v8 and higher, then if WiMP v8 or higher isn't installed you need to also download the newer WMA v8 & v9 codec package/s.

"Nullsoft_wma_input_plug-in v1" is ancient and is also no longer supported. The current version of in_wm.dll with Winamp 5.08d is v2.03. Older versions of the WMA plugin did not support WMA v8/v9, because they didn't even exist back then, and the older versions also don't support DRM.

And that is all :/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 16:29   #6
smhillusa

Dear Moderators,
Thank you both for the time you took in answering. As recalcitrant and as old fashioned as I am, I'm starting to adjust my viewpoint more toward this century (and v5.08d). I don't do well with change, obviously, and I only need wma if it nets a file size reduction for my new portable CD player that also does CD-R, mp3 and wma. I will read, and reread this information that you were kind enough to share, download the full version, and give it a fair trial, keeping in mind that few good things are also easy. One last thing, could you speak to upgrading to Pro? I actually feel better about paying for something I use (money, or loyalty, at least). Thanks again.
Steven
Old 11th February 2005, 16:41   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No problem.

The only differences between Full and Pro (when registered) are:

1. You can burn Audio CDs up to 48x speed with Pro
You can only burn Audio CDs at 2x speed with Full.

2. You can rip Audio CDs to MP3 at full speed with Pro.
You can only rip to WAV, AAC, M4A (or OGG / FLAC) at 2x speed with Full.
Naturally, you can also rip to those formats with Pro as well.

3. $14.95

This covers the costs for the 3rd-party Sonic Burning/Ripping Engine licence, and the (per-copy) MP3 Encoding licence fee, and any other administrative costs.

However, as you were concerned with possible bloat, the Sonic CD Burning/Ripping Engine was one of the optional components that we recommended you didn't install. But of course, it's entirely up to you.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 17:21   #8
smhillusa

Dear Egg and Nunzio,
I can't tell you how grateful I am that you helped me with my aversion to change. I'm so happy with the new version. It does everything it's supposed to (plays wma without a hiccup) and, more importantly, doesn't do anything that it's not supposed to. I trimmed the installation, as suggested, and have no problem with the extra 6MB of drive space. It looks just like the old one and I just copied my few skins into the new folder, reinstalled a coupla favorite plug-ins, and, voila'. The new Media Library alone was worth it. I did have a little problem with opening music files by double clicking on them. It opened an additional player. Then I realized it was still opening the old version. By then I was OK with uninstalling what is probably my favorite program of all time. Now all is well and I'm back trying to support my new portable CD player (10-12 hrs on each mp3 CD). Anyway, thanks for all your help and you were right, sometimes newer IS better. Send your Thomas' to me. Thanks again, Steven
Old 12th February 2005, 18:05   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Very good Steven
Happy Winamping!
Old 5th October 2010, 00:37   #10
tphaneuf

WMA Files

I use wma files for all the music ripped directly from my own CD's because the quality is much better than mp3's.

Previous versions of Winamp Lite played WMA files (at least up to 5.581), but the latest version does not even recognize them as valid media files. This makes the latest version useless to me. Uninstalled latest version and reinstalled 5.581.

Will not be upgrading until (or unless) wma file support is put back into the lite version.

Addendum: The new winamp was installed on a brand new computer. When I uninstalled the newest version, then installed an older version that could play wma files (v5.581), and then re-installed the latest version on top of that, I could play wma files with the latest version. I am back to being happy with winamp.

Last edited by tphaneuf; 5th October 2010 at 00:44. Reason: New information and clarification
tphaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 06:00   #11
bassobeatz

wma problem

hey i just upgraded to 5.61 (from 5.35? i believe) and i can no longer play .wma files, i've tried the wm_in.dll wma plugin however winamp wont open when it is installed and if i delete it then winamp works fine again. (comes up with a "program quit unexpectedly" windows solutions dialog box). I've got flac and m4a plugins running fine.

I'm running Vista 32-bit and i've got my audio going through an external interface (Audio Kontrol 1). The older 5.3 version i had used to play just about anything without any issues at all. Mainly wondering if it's just me or if there's an updated wma plugin or something.

thanks heaps
bassobeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support