Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 26th May 2005, 21:50   #1
jabba_t_hutt200

Send a message via ICQ to jabba_t_hutt200
adding playlist to media library slows with each playlist added

I add all my albums to the playlist section of the ml, with each album i add winamp freezes for a slightly longer time, this isn`t an issue for the first few playlists added but now im up to 403 playlists in the left window and winamp is freezing for 4-5 mins with each new playlist added, as i have another 140 albums to add to the playlist section im getting a bit concerned with how long each update will take when im almost done.

my specs are 2.6Gb Sempron
1Gb ram
Windows XP (service pack 2)

I send files to the new playlists from the ml right click send to option adding the artist and album name here. if theres an easier/quicker way of doing this please tell me
thanx J
jabba_t_hutt200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 04:07   #2
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
What version of Winamp are you using? Upgrade to the most recent version, 5.092. Use these instructions.

Changelog:

- Fixed: Long delay and high cpu on exit with many items in playlist **

If this doesn't work, post a HijackThis log.

jmat
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2005, 19:21   #3
jabba_t_hutt200

I upgraded to 5.092 and still the same problem. Winamp also has a load time of around 3mins. I have tried the clean uninstall reinstall approach before, which is why i am currently puting my playlists back in. i didnt follow those instructions but did remove ALL traces that winamp had ever been on my system.

There's 8394 mp3's in the audio window but usually this is not usually my "playlist" my playlist would typically be one album and i still get the high cpu usage on exit, which, doesnt reallly bother me all that much, what bothers me is winamp freezing when i add a new branch (or move a playlist from the bottom of the tree to where it should be in alphabetical order) to the playlists tree in the left window.
I may not have made myself entirely clear on my set up my winamp looks like this ish

local media
-audio
-video
-etc
-etc

playlists
-A - Hi-fi Serious
-A Perfect Circle - Emotive
-A Perfect Circle - Live
-A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
-etc
-etc

It is the adding a new playlist to, or rearranging, of this list that winamp is freezing on.

Heres my hijack this logfile anyway.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 19:49:44, on 03/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: CCHelper - {0CF0B8EE-6596-11D5-A98E-0003470BB48E} - C:\Program Files\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper\CCHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pa&nicware Pop-Up Stopper - {7E82235C-F31E-46CB-AF9F-1ADD94C585FF} - C:\Program Files\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper\pstopper.dll
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~2\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [ICQ Lite] C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe -trayboot
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...?1108350938276
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yaho...tocomplete.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Thanx
Jamie
Old 4th June 2005, 00:53   #4
jmatthews112
Major Dude

are you blocking winamp with a firewall?

reason for asking: see Preferences > Media Library > Online Media > Modify Preferences > Look for new Online Media Channels on exit

Is that also checked, if so you may want to uncheck
Old 4th June 2005, 02:23   #5
jabba_t_hutt200

no, sorry, zonealrm is configured to allow winamp access (I left anonymous usage stats ticked and occasionally use the ml web browser). theres nothing i can see in the hjthis log file that shouldnt be there, as far as i can tell the problem is within winamp itself, it might be something to do with the fact that whatever i name the playlist in the ml view, when winamp saves it to prog files>winamp>plugins>ml it changes the file name to some seemingly random name. for example Skinny puppy - Too Dark Park is saved in the ml folder by winamp as plf6B2.m3u winamp may be running through and checking a list of filenames to save the playlist as, the more previously saved playlists the more time this check takes, if you catch my drift.
Old 9th June 2005, 19:25   #6
jabba_t_hutt200

So thats it then? no try this! no we`ll look into it! Just silence for three days! At the very least, acknowledgement that this bug existed would have be nice!
Old 9th June 2005, 19:37   #7
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Maybe the bug doesn't exist. Please remember that Winamp forum users are volunteers, and we help because we want to, not because we have to.

I don't see anything that qualifies as malware, virii, or the like, but I'm not a qualified HJT log analyist.

The behavior of Winamp to rename ML playlists to pl*.m3u is by design, I believe.

You may want to rebuild the ML from scratch as it seems it may be corrupted. Uncheck Preferences > Media Library > Modify Preferences > Do not load media library database on Winamp startup and see if your load time is minimal, or else reasonable. If so, delete winamp_directory\plugins\ml while Winamp is closed.

You may also want to disable all update checks and anonymous usage statistics submissions as well.

Again, be patient. I may try to research this problem and get back to you soon. Else, someone may provide their own suggestions. Thanks.

jmat

[EDIT]

See if AVG is causing the slow startup. Restrict AVG from scanning the Winamp_directory. See here for more info.

Did you install Sonic Ripping/Burning support? See here for more information.

[/EDIT]

Last edited by jmatthews112; 9th June 2005 at 19:55.
Old 10th June 2005, 20:05   #8
jabba_t_hutt200

Sorry after rereading that it does sound more annoyed than i had intended. I haven`t got sonic ripping/burning installed, i found out that may be a problem before posting my own report. the link you used for disabling AVG's scan is the same as the sonic ripping one could you repost the avg one please. I did try disabling all avg components and after checking no avg components were showing in the task manager didn`t speed up the ml startup or playlist adding. it is a problem somewhere with my ml but i cant figure out what!
Winamps startup time is well down with not starting the ml on startup but as soon as i try to open the ml it freezes again. Ive tried reducing the graphics options on the modern skin and tried using the classic skin but to no avail the problem starting the ml still persists an who can say if its linked to my original prob with adding playlist or not.
From my last clean install, if i delete prog files/winamp/plugins/ml that`ll delete the playlists i`ve spent an eternity puting in, if i backup the m3u files, somewhere when i add them back in they appear in the ml as the filename winamp saved them as ie. plfA659 which is why i haven`t tried that again. I did try installing a completely independent version of winamp under C/winamp which starts in 15 seconds. In this fresh version of winamp there are only 7 VMD files whereas in the version i use there are 460VMD`s (also 0 m3us (duh) while the version i use has 454). if there is a way to start afresh while keeping my playlist tree the same tell me an i`ll start again!

Last edited by jabba_t_hutt200; 10th June 2005 at 20:36.
Old 10th June 2005, 21:03   #9
jabba_t_hutt200

Ive tried copying gen_ml.ini and main.dat along with my m3u`s into the new version (hence keeping my playlists in the ml view as i had wished) and the new version then behaves exactly the same as the original
Old 11th June 2005, 18:33   #10
jmatthews112
Major Dude

You have to delete the entire folder (winamp_directory\plugins\ml) as the ML appears corrupted. Before doing so, try deleting main.dat by itself. If that doesn't work, you'll need to delete as above, and the gen_ml.ini file too. Sorry.
Old 11th June 2005, 18:38   #11
jmatthews112
Major Dude

You have to delete the entire folder (winamp_directory\plugins\ml) as the ML appears corrupted. Before doing so, try deleting main.dat by itself. If that doesn't work, you'll need to delete as above, and the gen_ml.ini file too. Sorry.

btw, there is an edit button in the case of needing to post again within three hours of the original post. Although, if someone else has already posted after you, throw up a new post instead.
Old 11th June 2005, 18:44   #12
jabba_t_hutt200

Can I backup the m3u`s (rename them to what the playlists actually are, instead of having them saved as the filename winamp generated) and copy them into the new (clean install) ml folder. I think im correct in thinking that the playlist files themselves wont have been corrupted and would then appear in the ml view as named and in alphabetical order but I may be wrong? Asking you as i dont have time to try this myself just now and this seems quicker than finding out it is a bug and having to go through the same rigamrol again (I`ll try it on a new, independant winamp first)
Old 11th June 2005, 18:48   #13
jmatthews112
Major Dude

You SHOULD be able to copy them, but I'm not sure about renaming them for use with the ML. If it doesn't help, then you may have to create them from scratch. Copy the ml folder elsewhere just in case. hope this helps, jmat

[EDIT]

Just found out that you have two options to re-import your renamed playlists:

1) Copy and rename them to taste, then import them all at once via: ML > Playlists > Import
2) edit gen_ml.ini accordingly ie. replace plf*.m3u with new filename

Try a clean install and then use option 1 above.

[/EDIT]
Old 26th June 2005, 16:13   #14
eemil

exactly same problem

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.
I did a fresh install for winamp 5.093, did not installed sonic engine, modern skin support or any 3rd party plugins.
Option: "Do not load media library database on Winamp startup" is checked.
Disabled virusscanner, as you can see from hijackthis logfile.

After I have copied my backup "ml" folder and gen_ml.ini to get my playlists back to media library, starting winamp takes 27s. If I create a new playlist or try to move or delete a playlist, ML freezes for about 23s.
Right after I delete gen_ml.ini -file winamp starts in 7s (not very good, but notable difference).

edit: winamp cpu usage is 100% on startup, or whenever I create, move or delete a playlist.

I have about 2000mp3 files and almost 150 playlists on ML, so option "start from the beginning and create your playlists from scratch" is almost impossible task considering I could still have the same problem after all that.
So at the time it is nearly impossible for me to add a new media to library due to the long waiting when creating or moving a playlist.

system specs:
abit kt7-a
AMD athlon 1200Mhz @1400Mhz
512sdram
Geforce ti4200 64mb
Windows XP sp1
DirectX 9.0c
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (4.1 KB, 741 views)
eemil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 23:54   #15
siebe83
Forum King

Could this be related to this issue? It turned out to be AVG slowing Winamp down...
(esp. this post and further down)

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2005, 00:56   #16
eemil

Yes, that's it.
Thank you very much siebe83, at least now I know where the problem is.
I was almost giving up hope.
All my problems are gone after I disabled "scan documents" option.
eemil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2005, 09:51   #17
siebe83
Forum King

I just noticed jmatthews suggested something above related to AVG as well (didn't fully read the thread yet...). As you can see in the thread I linked to I also tried turning off AVG, but that did not work, turning off that option did. Not sure how that's possible, but anyway...

Do note you are turning off an important part of AVG when you disable that option. I'd suggest only turning it off temporarily, or looking out for another virus scanner.

Old 3rd July 2005, 10:02   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So is it just due to a recent (borked) AVG update that this has suddenly started to happen, and if so, does anyone know if Grisoft/AVG plans to address the issue (in the free version)?

Other recommended free AV
Avast Home Edition - www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
AntiVir Personal - www.free*********
Microworld AV - www.mwti.net/antivirus/mwav.asp

Recommended Commercial AV
Nod32 - www.nod32.com
Kaspersky - www.kaspersky.com
Panda - www.pandasoftware.com
Sophos - www.sophos.com
Command/Authentium ESP AV - http://www.authentium.com/store/
TrendMicro PC-Cillin - http://www.trendmicro.com/en/product...top/pc-cillin/
eTrust AV - www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=156
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2005, 10:13   #19
siebe83
Forum King

They still assume 5.09 is part of the issue as well:
http://forum.grisoft*****freeforum/re...backpage=1,sv=

Basically because people posted there that it started happening with 5.09. I personally think that it just started occuring around the same time as the release of 5.09 incidentally, and that it's more an AVG issue, mostly because I could reproduce the freeze-up after closing prefs in earlier versions as well (see here).

Only thing that remains unexplained is why some people can not reproduce it... (eg. the mod on the AVG forums who was using 5.05, and k_rock (not using 5.09 either iirc))

Only thing I can think of now is that something changed in 5.09 which caused AVG to be more alert for Winamp-related events, which will then produce the same issue if you install an earlier version afterwards. Not sure if that's possible though...

[edit]
Correction: k_rock does have 5.093

Last edited by siebe83; 3rd July 2005 at 11:35.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports