Old 26th June 2005, 05:10   #1
k2chris1983

Winamp, hangs or crashes

When i start Winamp 5.09 up, sometimes it will work, but it will hang or just lock up at random times... Sometimes it will hang after a song ends or before it, the odd part is the program will start playing the song like a min after it hangs or whatever. When it hangs, the winamp will trun white, and still plays the Song if its not over.

I started to have this problem when i installed Winamp5. hmmm

My Specs:
Intel P4 3.0 1MB Cache
2x 512MB DDR2 400Mhz Dual Channel
Intel 915G Motherboard w/ 7.1 Surround Sound
Onboard Sound Chip is Realtek
1x 74GB WD 10,000RPMs
1x 250GB WD 7,200RPMs
eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT e-PCI
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (4.8 KB, 1432 views)
k2chris1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2005, 05:44   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

are you running any third party plug-ins for winamp?
what file types are used when it crashes?
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2005, 05:59   #3
k2chris1983

This is a Clean install of Winamp, so no third party plug-ins. Just playing MP3
Old 26th June 2005, 10:27   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So... a clean install of 5.093 then?
(buggy 5.09 is no longer supported)

And is it the Full or Lite version?

Also try these DirectSound output tweaks

If the problem persists, try (temporarily?) disabling in_wm.dll (with winamp closed, either rename it to eg. in_wm.dll.off, or just move it out of the Winamp\Plugins folder). Let us know if that makes any difference...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2005, 16:19   #5
k2chris1983

oh ya i forgot to say that, its Winamp 5.093, i got lazy.. lol

I will do that, right now. I will do a Clean install again, and rename that DLL file. If everything works or doesnt, i will post again.
Old 26th June 2005, 22:30   #6
k2chris1983

BTW, its Full...

And i think it work, so far its working but i have not restart the computer yet... So i guess its that DLL File, but if it acks up again, i let you know! Thanks
Old 28th June 2005, 01:40   #7
k2chris1983

ok after i restart the computer, and play around on it.. I thought it was working, but still Hanging up, i click on a Song in the PLaylist, and click another like 4 sec after, the Program well hang for about 2mins then start playing the Song or plays the Song and hangs..
Old 28th June 2005, 06:31   #8
Jetril

Exact same problem, no 3rd party plugins installed (thought that was the problem but not) and the DLL didn't work.
Jetril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 18:45   #9
k2chris1983

So you have the same Problem too? That is crazy i thought i was the only one with problem, if you have the same problem we now know its a Bug in the code or something with are Setup/Drivers. What is your Computer Specs?
Old 29th June 2005, 04:54   #10
Jetril

Uh...

Intel Pentium 725 processor (1.6GHz, 400 MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache)
ATI Mobility Radeo 9700/64MB
512MB DDR
Windows XP SP2

Just ran Hijack This, attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (10.6 KB, 1868 views)
Old 29th June 2005, 09:58   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, the common denominator I see here is that you're both using eTrust AV.

I use CA eTrust EZ AV (home user), but yours is the corporate/business version. Are you using the latest v7.1 with all the latest updates?

Can you try adding the Winamp dir to the exclusion list?
eg. in eTrust EZ AV this is done via:
Scan Settings > Real-time Scanner > Exclusions | "Modify" button...

Re: HJT logs

@ Jetril

Any idea what this is?

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Azdpix] C:\Program Files\Xzsv\Vxfafne.exe

@ k2chris1983

Although not necessarily the cause of the problem, I recommend that you disable the following items (note, if you use HJT to do this, then you will need to unzip HJT to a permanent dir first, or just use the HJT installer that we link to on these forums, instead of the zip). Otherwise, just disable them with msconfig.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
http://castlecops.com/s5306-ALCMTR_EXE.html

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
http://castlecops.com/s2911-Qttask_exe.html

This one can be started manually, as and when required:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -silent
http://castlecops.com/s4887-steam_exe.html
Old 29th June 2005, 10:17   #12
Jetril

Pretty sure my version of eTrust is the latest, apparently my school network updates all school given products automatically, including this. Couldn't find your directions, but this was probably the same: Realtime Monitor Options, Filters, Exclusions, Directory, chose Winamp folder. Odd though, the OK button is always unclickable, so I don't think the option saved.

That weird named folder, deleted it, no idea what it is.
Old 29th June 2005, 10:22   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm...

so you're logged on with an administrator profile then, and not a limited user profile?
Old 29th June 2005, 12:19   #14
Jetril

Only one account, I'm sure this is the admin account.
Old 29th June 2005, 17:19   #15
k2chris1983

OK i have remove the Reg Keys you gave me
-HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
-HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
-HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -silent

I am using ETrust7.1 and i have done what you said, to Exclusions the Winamp Dir, and Process....
Old 1st July 2005, 11:03   #16
Jetril

Did that work?...
Old 1st July 2005, 16:51   #17
k2chris1983

I restarted my Computer, and play some MP3's but so far everything is working, but also this problem happens at Random times, so i be checking it out....

It could of been E-trust the RealTime scanner, doing something to the MP3 or Winamp.exe as it scan or whatever it does haha...
Old 18th September 2005, 06:42   #18
mortenlu

I had the same problem up until two minutes ago. Its the InoRT.exe process that fucks winamp up. Part of reason I've has alot of problems with this problem is that Its been very similar to fifty other problems.

I added winamp folder and winamp process to the exeption list in etrust and it fixes my problem.

Just searched for this thread to suggest you to add it to your "freezing" issue links. Would have saved me alot of work.

To clearyfy the symptoms I've had:
-Random freezing every 4 songish, the player freeze and sometimes the music stops.
-Only happens with mp3
-Sometimes works perfectly just to annoy me when Im troubleshooting (usually when I've tried something new).

Love all the work you guys do. Thanks for having my answer here, I just sucked too much to find it. :>
mortenlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 13:06   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

K, I've added it to the Freeze-up section of the FAQ. Thanks :-)
Old 17th August 2006, 10:14   #20
kyleshome

i had the same thing, if u cant add winamp to that list due to the program not letting u (password protected, not admin, etc..) useing one the mp3pro pulgin will also fix it
kyleshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 17:42   #21
DrSteve

I am having the same problems, and will try adding the Winamp Directory to my excluded files in etrust anti-virus. It is an intermittant problem, and it does seem to have started to start around the time I went from Norton to etrust anti virus.
DrSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 04:05   #22
User32

Here is some interesting news...

I am using WinAmp 5.24 and whenever I play any kind of music (streams, mp3s, video, etc.) WinAmp plays just fine but my system slowed to a crawl even though the sound and video played perfectly. I was looking for a fix or even a topic about this and found this. Well I am using ZoneAlarm Pro Security Suite and I am using its virus scanner (which coincidently uses CA Anti-Virus). Since ZoneAlarm does not give an option for exceptions I just turned the real-time scanner off, and like magic my system was back to normal...

My Specs:
Windows XP PRO SP2
Asrock P4V88 mother
P4 2.4 GHz Intel
2.5 GB DDR RAM
GeForce 6600 256 DDR
ZA Pro SS v6.5.737.000
ProcessGuard 3.400 Full
VIA 3059 Series Audio Controller using the CMI9761A Audio Codec (onboard...I know but hey I'm cheap)
2 Maxtor SATA 250 GB drives (not raided, independent)

HiJackThis log attached (next post) as a Zip, due to this forum not allowing text files??? Gave me a error stating it only allows *list of extensions txt not being one of them* to be attached. Weird...

However, after a short amount of time my system started slowing way down again and WinAmp was using 76% CPU. I am not using any modern skins, I am however using the Jammix DSP plugin, which is great btw, and everything else is as basic as WinAmp gets. So out of desperation and just pure curiousity I killed ZA. Winamp is still currently using between 60 - 86% CPU but the memory usage is back to 23 MB instead of the 98 MB it was using before I killed ZA. Now as we all know ZA doesn't totally die when killed, so my guess it is still being affected by it but thats just a guess, even though my system seems to be able to handle this amount of usage as everything opens as quick as normal.

So, I guess after all this my questions are...does WinAmp have some kind of strange hatred for ZA and CA or vice versa? Do they just not get along? Could it be something else that I am missing? Is this a known issue and can it be cured?

Last edited by User32; 14th November 2006 at 04:38.
User32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 04:29   #23
User32

Oops...

Well heres the hjt...
Attached Files
File Type: zip hijackthis_log.zip (2.6 KB, 804 views)
Old 14th November 2006, 06:34   #24
comkedi

Etrust + in_mp3.dll hangs

Hello ladies and gents,

I have found a solution to this problem in some other forum and works like a charm. I just had to share this

- From the plugins -> input page, select in_mp3.dll and click configure
- From the file association remove mp3, mp2, mp1 (just to make sure. The problem seems to happen only with mp3) and click ok.
- Now select in_dshow.dll and click configure (If you do not see in_dshow.dll, you should consider installing winamp full version, not lite. or simply take it from someone else)
- Add what you have removed from in_mp3.dll here. i.e. "MP3;MP2;MP1" (without the d.quotes). Click ok.
- Install FFDSHOW directshow filter. (Believe me there is no other filter you would like better. I have been using it for years for all my needs - swiss codec knife..)
- Go into Start->Programs->FFdshow->Audio Decoder Configuration->Codecs
- From the right hand side window, find mp1,mp2 and mp3 (two consecutive rows) and click where it writes "disabled" and choose one of the codecs listed there for each row.
- Hit ok. Voila.. You are free like a bird..

P.S.: I have lost the url of the other forum that i found this solution so I cannot cite it. A sincere sorry to the folks there. (am not a plagiarist )
P.P.S: FFDSHOW is not necessarily swiss. It was simply a metaphor.
comkedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 11:45   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Thankfully, we can't reproduce the problem under Winamp 5.31 (or 5.32 internal beta).

Are you also using some old version of Winamp?

Are you also using CA eTrust AV Corporate Edition?

Using DirectShow for decoding MP3 is not really a recommended workaround
(no metadata support, ie. ID3 tags will not be used/read, no replaygain support, no 24bit playback support, no portable player support, no transcoding support, etc etc).

@User32

There's no known conflicts/issues with Winamp and ZoneAlarm.
I've used ZA for years with no problems whatsoever.
As for CA Antivirus, well, I'm using CA EZ AntiVirus and don't have any problems, although I did add the Winamp folder to the RealTime Exclusion List in CA config (Virus Scanning > Scan Settings > RealTime Scanner > Exclusions/Modify).

Prior to that, I noticed that CA was constantly scanning winamp's config files (winamp.ini, studio.xnf, gen_ml.ini, etc) which caused a minor slowdown, but no crashes for me.

I assume that even the version of CA eTrust AV which comes with ZA must have its own separate config and RealTime Exclusion List, ie. separate to ZoneAlarm config...?

Other than any of that, as I said, we can't reproduce the problem.

Other things you can try...

Try a clean install of Winamp 5.31

Make sure 'Fast Layer 3 EQ' is unchecked in in_mp3 config > decoder tab
Make sure 'CRC Checking' is unchecked.
Checkmark 'Show average bitrate on vbr files'.

Apply the DirectSound Output tweaks (if not already applied)
ie. select soundcard as Output Device, check/unheck 'allow hardware acceleration', checkmark 'enable cpu-usage control'

Remove any 3rd-party plugins (which are more than often responsible for over 80% of all problems reported on these forums).
Old 14th November 2006, 16:10   #26
User32

Ok when I get home from work I will try these suggestions. As for the exceptions list, there doesn't seem to be one inside the ZA configuration GUI but maybe there is some file that controls in the ZA folder...i'll check this out as well. Thanks DJ Egg!

As for the v5.31, damn I swear I just d/led winamp, you guys come out with updates and bug fixes extremely fast, good job on that one. Now if only we could get other software vendors to do this we would all be set...
Old 14th November 2006, 16:14   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, there's a problem with the winamp.com database, so it still says 5.3 on the download page. See the stickys at the top of the Tech Support and Winamp Discussion forums for links to 5.31

The exclusion list you are looking for is in the actual CA eTrust AV config, and not anywhere in the ZoneAlarm UI. Right-click the CA AV icon in the systray to access the config & exclusion list.
Old 26th November 2006, 20:33   #28
GandalfDDI

Winamp still takes over 1 minute to load

Winamp after clean install (and trying every suggestion I could find including the disable Sonic route) still takes over a minute to load.

-PC or Motherboard make/model - HP Pavillion 9800
-CPU & RAM - Pentium 4 1.5 GHz, 768 MB RAM
-Sound card or chip - Creative ES1371
-Videocard - Onboard
-Windows OS - Windows XP SP2
-DirectX version Directx 9.0c
-Winamp version Winamp 5.32
-Winamp installation type - Full
-'separate' or 'shared' - Shared (Default setting)

I tried to find the Fast Layer 3 EQ option, but I could not find what you were talking about.

Log attached.
GandalfDDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 20:47   #29
GandalfDDI

Log attached (second try ...)

Trying to attached the log files again with .txt. First time didn't work with .log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis_myplugin.txt (12.9 KB, 1117 views)
Old 26th November 2006, 22:07   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ GandalfDDI

I think your issue is different to anyone else's in this thread.

I see that you've got iTunes/iPod support auto loading.
This is probably conflicting with Winamp's native iPod support module.

Does the problem persist if you disable Winamp's iPod support?

Nullsoft iPod Plug-in v0.54 [pmp_ipod.dll]

With Winamp closed, rename winamp\plugins\pmp_ipod.dll to eg. pmp_ipod.dll.off
or just move it out of the plugins folder to some backup dir.

If the problem persists, try disabling the other pmp plugins (p4s, usb, njb, in that order, one at a time, closing & reopening winamp inbetween) until the problem disappears.

Nullsoft PlaysForSure Plug-in v0.53 [pmp_p4s.dll]
Nullsoft USB Device Plug-in v0.52 [pmp_usb.dll]
Nullsoft Creative NJB Plug-in v0.51 [pmp_njb.dll]

The last one you disabled will be the one which was causing the conflict (possibly with some hardware connected to your system, or some other running process which manages said hardware, eg. Rocket Mobile, maybe).

If it's not any of the pmp plugins to blame, then I'm not sure...

You said you tried disabling Sonic. However, the List of Plugins says that Sonic is installed.

To temporarily/fully disable the Sonic Engine, with Winamp closed, move primosdk.dll (now = pxsdkpls.dll) out of the Winamp root folder to some backup folder. If primosdk.dll / pxsdkpls.dll isn't present, then the Sonic Engine won't load at all.

If it's none of those things to blame, then I'm at a loss...
Old 27th November 2006, 04:25   #31
GandalfDDI

Creative Labs pmp_njb.dll worked

It worked when I renamed pmp_njb.dll to pmp_njb.dll.off

Thank you very much.

Cool.

(Yes, I have a Creative Labs Player and I had to install iTunes for some reason).

THANK YOU!
Old 15th March 2007, 11:22   #32
sollo

winamp hangs on first song

Hi guys

I have winamp v5.33 that is very frustrating. I load a playlist, winamp starts playing the first song then after 30sec or 1 min it hangs and reports that it needs to close. If i click "don't send" button, it just closes, if i say don't send it plays the current song to the end and stops. if have to close it and restart and go through the same process. I re-installed and i still have issues.

regards
Sollo
sollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 18:16   #33
jordanwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@ GandalfDDI

I think your issue is different to anyone else's in this thread.

I see that you've got iTunes/iPod support auto loading.
This is probably conflicting with Winamp's native iPod mobility support module.

Does the problem persist if you disable Winamp's iPod support?

Nullsoft iPod Plug-in v0.54 [pmp_ipod.dll]

With Winamp closed, rename winamp\plugins\pmp_ipod.dll to eg. pmp_ipod.dll.off
or just move it out of the plugins folder to some backup dir.

If the problem persists, try disabling the other pmp plugins (p4s, usb, njb, in that order, one at a time, closing & reopening winamp inbetween) until the problem disappears.

Nullsoft PlaysForSure Plug-in v0.53 [pmp_p4s.dll]
Nullsoft USB Device Plug-in v0.52 [pmp_usb.dll]
Nullsoft Creative NJB Plug-in v0.51 [pmp_njb.dll]

The last one you disabled will be the one which was causing the conflict (possibly with some hardware connected to your system with no mobile network security , or some other running process which manages said hardware, eg. Rocket Mobile, maybe).

If it's not any of the pmp plugins to blame, then I'm not sure...

You said you tried disabling Sonic. However, the List of Plugins says that Sonic is installed.

To temporarily/fully disable the Sonic Engine, with Winamp closed, move primosdk.dll out of the Winamp root folder to some backup folder. If primosdk.dll isn't present, then the Sonic Engine won't load at all.

If it's none of those things to blame, then I'm at a loss...
Yes, definitely disable the Sonic engine, but why do you need to move primosdk.dll out of the winamp root folder to the backup folder?
jordanwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:39   #34
nsds00001

Thanks so much.
nsds00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support