Old 9th July 2005, 14:18   #1
metalive

Send a message via ICQ to metalive
Changing a file path, but retaining statistics?

Hi!

What can I do if for instance I discover a spelling mistake in the name of an album directory? If I simply go and rename the folder, all the contained mp3s will be recognized as new files and so the playcounts and ratings will be reset.

Is there a way to make such corrections to file paths and retaining/restoring the stats for the altered paths/files?

metalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2005, 15:36   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You might be able to edit main.dat (winamp\plugins\ml dir) in a text editor, using find+replace. Make sure Winamp is closed first, and I also recommend that you backup main.dat and main.idx before making any changes.

[Edit]

No, this won't work. It's not humanly editable.

Though, you might be able to use a binary hex editor...? See below.

[/Edit]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2005, 16:56   #3
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
i suggested this to someone with negative results, REMEMBER to make a backup first.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2005, 18:39   #4
metalive

I've tried it but it didn't work. I corrected the spelling of the path of all the 15 mp3s in that album. Then I started winamp and it crashed.

I resored the backedup main.dat and it worked again. So this doesen't seem to be a way to solve the problem.
Old 9th July 2005, 18:56   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The only other method I know is to use Francis' ML Import Export Plugin

Export the ml database to xml,
Edit it accordingly
Clear the media library
Reimport from xml
Old 2nd November 2005, 14:41   #6
_burnthewitch

winamp always crashes when i want to reimport the media library! but it's important for me that it works ... i wanted to clean up my folders and files but don't wanna lose my playcounts ...
_burnthewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 13:28   #7
metalive

There doen't seem to be a reliable way of doing it. I woulnd't dare to try anything that only even one user claimed to have failed. I cannot risk to lose my statistics.
Old 11th November 2005, 22:59   #8
Gourou

Location: The backside of the universe on the trailing edge of eternity
Use a HEX editor. a text editor for simple instance, will not re-write all of the NUL characters on save, that's the problem here. a HEX editor allows you to edit digit by digit, without modifying any other byte in the file in any other way.

might maybe I recommend
http://www.technologismiki.com/en/hackman/editor.php
as I have found it to be the least trouble
Gourou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 01:43   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The free version of Hackman only allows max file size of 200k.
I doubt if people are willing to pay $25 or $50 just to edit main.dat

There's plenty of decent freeware hex editors out there
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+hex+editor
Old 28th December 2005, 21:51   #10
ulillillia

Use XVI32 - it's a free hex editor with almost no limits. I've even opened a 190 MB bitmap image in it.

void BlueWater() {water.color=blue; while(GameRunning) {if (fox.pos == InBlueWater) {fox.air--; FoxDrown(fox.air);} else {fox.air=1800; fox.flags = WantsToGetWet; } WaitFrames(1); }} // My top favorite thing in 2D Sonic (as C)
ulillillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 15:32   #11
MAHS4077

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
The only other method I know is to use Francis' ML Import Export Plugin

Export the ml database to xml,
Edit it accordingly
Clear the media library
Reimport from xml
Does it work properly ???
MAHS4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2006, 02:54   #12
mr1134

i really like the idea of being able to move and rename my files without losing the statistics. but can't this be done through an ordinary program option? let's say, a possibility to move files on your hd within the media library in order to retain the song count.
i mean francis import export plugin works, but having an steadily growing lib, i'm adding like a gig or more per week this isn't a reasonable method to move your files.

the problem is, that when i get a second album of an artist i want to unite both albums in one folder, and everytime i do that i lose my songcount. when adding an album of an entire new artist, i already create an "upfolder". is that the opposite of a subfolder? but for the rest of the files i need an easier solution?

it's really not reasonable to edit the medialib-database 5 times a week by using the import export plugin.

btw: i don't want the dynamic library plugin, cause i prefer the ordinary medialib due to many advantages.
mr1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2006, 09:47   #13
siebe83
Forum King

There just isn't a simple way do this at the moment.

I think the only way to do this would be via a plugin that moves the file(s) and updates the ML.
There's an ActiveWinamp script that's supposed to do the trick, but it has some drawbacks: 1) you'd need to change the script each time you want to move to another folder, 2) the folder has to exist already, 3) I couldn't get it to work properly, heh (it did not re-add the item to the ML database). Maybe someone else has more luck.

And then there's ml_org, which organizes the files in the ML into folders automatically. Not sure if that's what you want. I didn't try it myself. Note that it's a beta version, be sure to read the whole thread.

[edit]
Mmh, for some reason the link to the ActiveWinamp script does not work (maybe it's too long?). It's listed here.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2006, 19:45   #14
mr1134

i'm afraid both of your options won't do it for me. activewinamp script seems to be as enduser unfriendly as francis plugin.
and ml_org doesn't do the trick either i guess, at least from what i read in the thread.

i then tried to use francis plugin to import my collection to itunes and move the file in itunes. but the song stats weren't transferred to itunes, so this method didn't work either. for sure i don't want itunes on my computer, and even surer i don't want to lose my statistics of the last years. so i maybe have to leave my hd messed til their will be a more convient way.
Old 27th April 2006, 12:37   #15
kgbvsgru

I don't see why Winamp can't just unblock the file path in the tag editor. That way you could easily (although manually) change the original with the new. RealPlayer has that and it worked fine. They really have to include this feature in the next build/release.
kgbvsgru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 04:48   #16
mr1134

@ kgbvsgru: that would definitely be a good start. i'm really sometimes asking my self who people who care about song counts and well sorted mp3s get along with the media lib.

on the other hand, the media lib is actually an invitation to leave ur hd as messed as it is. coz noone has to know where their files are.

dear winamp-team, please bear with us and give us a solid option to move our files without losing our stats.
Old 4th May 2006, 06:29   #17
dbarona

This is frustrating... I have tried all the information above, as well as all kinds of different plugins along with all indications on other threads including all those posted by DJ Egg. Nothing seems to really work. The only one that i had some hopes for, was the xml import/export plugin, but it crashed everytime when importing...I gave up on all that, and decided to go on it my own way...I AM SOOOO CLOSE NOW....I figured out which files are those responsible for keeping the ML working properly. I have copied and updated the information in the files that winamp updates everytime it closes:

winamp.ini
winamp.m3u
gen_ml.ini
main.dat
main.idx (?)
recent.dat
recent.idx (?)
ml_online.ini (not really important)
rss.xml (not really important)
feeds.xml (not really important)

The files that really really count for having everything work are main.dat and main.idx. Using a good hex editor, as previously mentioned, it was easy to edit and save the new version of main.dat; however i have absolutely no clue on how to edit main.idx (as well as recent.idx) so that the indexing information can be updated with the new location of the files... I have gotten it to the point where winamp opens without crashing and then shows me a 'Library Recovery' window, which i assume comes up due to incorrect information on the .idx file that doesn't match the .dat. After the recovery goes through, i still can't see my songs. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your input!
dbarona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 15:31   #18
mr1134

@dbarona: i wish u all the luck on your journey. it's so sad that nobody seems to care about the ability of moving files without losing all stats. keep us updated :-).
Old 20th June 2006, 07:15   #19
dbarona

I know!!! Why do people not care about keeping all their information about their songs? I don't know... I did manage to solve my issue... i was unsuccessful when i tried using the plugin for exporting into the format (xml) used by itunes, but i later found out that my problems were caused by some apparently unsupported characters in the xml.
The whole library was exported successfully each time, but i wasn't able to import it. When i tried to import it, the plug-in threw an error saying that there was an exception at some specific line. I opened the xml, when to that line, and fixed the problematic characters. I did this for each of the errors until the whole thing was error free... This would take care of the information of the songs (ratings, album info, song info, etc....) but it would not export the playlists you have created. To have a complete transfer of all the info, you have to pretty much go through both processes:
- copying the files from the \Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\ml folder as well as gen_ml.ini in the plugins folder and modify the paths inside of as many of these files as possible (with a program like NoteTab Light or whatever fits you), if your location of the files changed.
- Exporting the whole library into itunes format, modify the paths of the songs (if the physical location of the songs changes) and re-import into winamp.

By doing this two things i have been completely successfull and achieving what i want, however, the process is quite cumbersome sometimes....

Another way of going about it is to get MediaMonkey (not that it's better than winamp ) and when you scan a folder for songs, it then asks you if you want to import missing media information from iTunes, Winamp and Windows Media Player (regardless of whether the file path changed or not). This takes care of the ratings at least (as well as all the other song info) but it doesn't import the playlists you created. Also, you cannot export out from MediaMonkey as easily into Winamp to have both synchronized...

I wish there were an easier way of doing all this... a plug-in would be awesome, one that would automatically back-up all this info into one file (this is easy and doesn't really need a plug-in) but most importantly, one that can let you chose the file(s) that contain the media library information to restore the library from with an option of selecting the new path of the files (like if you move you music collection from C:\Music to G:\Backup\Music).
I hope this to be available in the future, as i know that there is a lot of us with 15,000+ songs and that have put invaluable amounts of time into continuously organizing and fine tunning our music collections.
dbarona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 00:59   #20
varoomba

AMEN

YES - I would love an easy way to export my song ratings and categories.

I am willing to use any reasonably decent mp3 software (WinAmp, iTunes, etc) that makes it easy to rate and categorize my music (all do) AND easily export it. Why can't this just be added to the tags? Don't the tags support ratings and non-standard categories?

I just want to rate and categorize and know that I'm not going to lose it all if I switch to another player later on. On the one hand, that may be why the players don't make it possible - locking us in - on the other, I won't use them if they don't - so they have nothing to lock me into...
varoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:04   #21
kimai

Hi guys,

I really think the easiest way would be to find a way to save the rating and counts into the id3tag of the file instead of inside dark config files. This way we would be able very easily to keep all the information when moving/renaming/modifying a file.

I really don't understand why this is not this way, and I would really apreciate if a guy who know how to program do a plugin that eg copy the rating and play counts of a song everytime they change in id3tags.

Do anybody think this is possible ?

Cheer,
Kimai

Sorry for my approximative english
EDIT : I re read this post, it sounds a bit rough...Don't worry, I don't bite, I am calm guy

Last edited by kimai; 22nd September 2006 at 14:33.
kimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:30   #22
siebe83
Forum King

Hi,

see the following thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=182413

Basically, there are ways to put the ML rating in the file's tag, either using shane's ml_id3rate plugin or using the comment field (for more info, see the thread linked to).
I'm not sure whether the ml_id3rate plugin still works properly with the latest Winamp versions.

In the ml_id3rate thread an ActiveWinamp script to export/import ratings and playcounts was posted as well.

For most of these methods: do try it on just a few files first to see if it works as expected.

Old 22nd September 2006, 13:20   #23
kimai

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, I tried the ml_id3rate plugin, and it worked well ! Great work.

The only problem I see : it is not in "real time". Instead of copying one time the info in the Tag (using this plugin is like creating a backup : you must do it often, and it is not automatic), It would be much more easy to save it as soon as the info in question is modified : When I rate a song via an hotkey --> hop, the id3tag is modified. The same with the playcount. Or to save the changed songs when you quit winamp

Questions : in which field are exported the informations in th ml_id3rate plugin? I have tryed to find it with the software The Godfather , but I couldn't find out where the info is stored...

We could think of a plugin such as Tagger a little modified and with some hotkeys : I will then be able to put 3 in the comment tag (or another one) when eg I type ALT+3, and another thing : as soon as the song starts to play, increment another tag "comment 2" eg or elsewhere else, so that I keep a count of the song.

Tagger:
http://nunzioweb.com/joonas/tagger/

This way you never lose your data when:
- Winamp or Windows crash (and you were playing music and rating for hours..)
- you move folders
- you rename songs (with a mass tager application eg)
- you give up winamp for another player

What do you think about it ?

Last edited by kimai; 22nd September 2006 at 14:36.
Old 22nd September 2006, 20:42   #24
siebe83
Forum King

It's a nice idea, though I don't quite see what Tagger has to do with it. Tagger is designed to edit the tags of multiple files at once, not to update a tag when it is played.
Moreover, I doubt Joonas will have the time to look into it, also seeing that he's not really into ratings and playcounts himself, afaik.
But you never know

As for which field the rating is written to by ml_id3rate, I'm not sure. The script posted in that thread mentions a field 'Popularity', could that be it?

Old 25th September 2006, 07:37   #25
kimai

I agree with you about Joonas plugin. I was just thinking he proposed a way to edit tags from the playlist, so he knows how to do it. I haven't found so many plugins that modify tags within the playlist...

Perhaps could it be possible to use an active winamp script, running in background, that could achieve what I proposed. The problem is it is a bit hard for me to understand how it functions (I am no programer at all...).

Hoping my proposal will gather some interest...

Kimai
Old 7th March 2007, 19:36   #26
pendarazad

Music Categorization

If you want to categorize your music, you can use BeyondGenre software and use your own tags to categorize. This software works with Winamp and iTunes. You can download the software at: www.BeyondGenre.com
pendarazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 10:43   #27
eturfboer

Is anybody still working on this issue?
eturfboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 11:36   #28
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
The ML Import/Export plugin works fine for me so I use that. I have attempted to use a hex editor to change the paths directly in main.dat but that caused a crash as previously stated in this thread. You are welcome to attempt what ever method you want, just remember to backup first.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 11:53   #29
eturfboer

Well, I did some trials yesterday. Winamp keeps crashing when I have edited those files. During the edits I noticed that before I edited the .dat files the save times of the idx files were exactly the same, afterwards they are offcourse not the same. Any ideas on a workable solution to test if this is the cause of the crashing?

Just wondering: Why is the data of the medialibrary (all of it) not stored in a (for instance sql) database?
Old 31st July 2007, 16:04   #30
_burnthewitch

having same problem here ..
_burnthewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:04   #31
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
What problem would that be? This is a lengthy discussion about changing file paths in the Media Library database. The Only successful way I have done is to use the ML Import/Export plugin.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:52   #32
eturfboer

So did I with the ML export import plugin. It seems to be the only workable solution. Do not forget to backup de library beforehand though...
Old 18th December 2007, 06:15   #33
chgoguy7

Another option is to use the ml-ipod plug-in that I use to sync tracks/playlists/ratings/play counts, etc. between my iPod and Winamp. I first make sure that the iPod database is synced and fully up to date with the Winamp database, then make my changes, then select "sync from iPod to Winamp". Be very careful that you don't select "sync from Winamp to iPod" or "smart sync" at this point or you'll really mess things up. This has worked when my Winamp database has become corrupted. This does not work as well when changing the filename of a track because Winamp believes it's a new track and therefore the iPod plug-in cannot connect that new track name with the stats it has in its database. I also use the ML import/export plug-in and back up (of course!) as fail safe measures so I can at least return to the prior working state just in case there's a problem.

Of course you need an iPod for this method but it's an alternative method that works for me. I agree though, there should be a better, more integrated method in Winamp for changes.
chgoguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 01:09   #34
QSEagle

I'd really like to see this implemented so that I can switch back to using Winamp, as MM makes this critical task so easy to accomplish.
QSEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 18:51   #35
MusicmanSA

Mediamonkey Gold

Get Mediamonkey Gold. It imports & has AI. lol Trust me. Musicmatch was the best, Winamp didn't take the gap...Even has Super Tagging!
MusicmanSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 18:04   #36
hamandegg

Quote:
Originally posted by MAHS4077
Does it work properly ???
Worked fine for me, happy days!

hamandegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 13:47   #37
sabret00the

Send a message via AIM to sabret00the
The problem with exporting and then reimporting is that it then changed the date on the files.
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support