Old 13th September 2000, 02:36   #1
EUROTRASH

I am a network engineer and have the occasion to build a lot of machines...... lately i have noticed on 98se that there is a bug with the winamp installer. I like to install winamp on all the machines i build....however this is rarely possible with the crc checksum error ......however, the thing i find funny is that Winamp refuses to admit that it is a bug.... i have looked all thru your forums and everytime someone reports the problem you tell them that they have a virus or to use some spyware piece of crap like "get right"....I have d/l your installer onto a brand new machine that i just built with broadband. It doesnt work .....so i d/l it from some other site and same result..... I can take that same installer and transfer it to another machine and it works fine ????? Why dont you suck it up and look into this problem ???... It is really irritating that people are telling you that they have checked for viri....and have d/l ed it from several different sites w/ broadband or better and all you have to say is you have a virus.....well isnt that the easy way out .....DO SOME R&D AND ANSWER THIS PROBLEM

Old 13th September 2000, 02:57   #2
aaron

well, usually CRC errors are caused by download errors, but in your case this seems not to be the case. do you have the same problem with previous versions of winamp?
you could try installing gnutella on the machines winamp doesnt install on, because it uses the same installer. you can get it from www.gnutella.wego.com; so the nullsoft guys would know whether it is a problem with the installer, or just limited to winamp.

-aaron

[This message has been edited by aaron (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 13th September 2000, 05:14   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, but if the same installer works on another machine . . . how can there be a bug in it ?
It kinda defies logic.
Sounds to me more like there's a bug on the actual machine, not in the installer.

Cyclic Redundancy Checking faults are more than often caused by responses to unknown virus detection or errors in data transmission. Basically, it means that the file you have downloaded has either been altered in some way [by a virus] or is incomplete.

BTW, I've never experienced a CRC error in my life and definitely not with Winamp PIMP installers [and I've downloaded plenty of them in my time], which further suggests that the error lies at the receiving end & not the source.

What AntiVirus Protection do you have on these machines ?
Maybe it's this particular software that's causing the problem, or something in the program's config / too high security settings.
Might have to do with the fact that there's no authentic signature found on the installer ?
Maybe you need to get the latest signature dat files for your AV software & check all files on these machines for viruses [~virii~]

Could even be one of the many M$ bugs in WinNT / 2000 to blame ???
Always make sure you've installed the latest Service Packs [which are probably full of bugs too] !

Lord knows . . . the thot plickens !

--------
The Egg

[This message has been edited by DJEgg (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 14th September 2000, 19:18   #4
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

EUROTRASH -

I think the truth lies somewhere between your point of view and DJ Egg's, but I would tend to say it is probably closer to Egg's.

A lot of the download problems (both Winamp and non-Winamp) reported in these forums are traceable to bad ISPs. For example, AOL customers constantly have problems. And many users DO have success when they try download sites other than Winamp's own. So the advice generally given is not just a kiss-off.

Also, many of these users are newbies with pitiful connections, who don't know that there is any alternative to the Windows internal download program. They NEED a manager for almost every download (not just Winamp) because their connections can't even stay up for the 10-15 minutes a 2MB file requires.

BTW, I was as disappointed as you with GetRight's inclusion of spyware in their "trial" version. But I long ago paid for my registered version, which is spyware-free and an excellent utility IMHO.

I have a plain-vanilla Windows 98 system with IE 5.00 and a 56K modem. It is as stable as a Windows system can be, because I made sure it was put together with quality components, not slapped together on a Compaq or Gateway assembly line. Like DJ Egg, I have never encountered a CRC error with Winamp or any other download.

When someone posts a download complaint in these forums, I often try to download the same file, sometimes within minutes of their attempt. Except in cases where the "problem" was caused by the source site being offline, I never have had any problem downloading the same file successfully.

I do agree with you that it is reasonable to expect Nullsoft to further refine their installer, so that it can operate more successfully despite Micro$hit's buggy OS and despite poorly-written anti-virus software. I don't know what specifically causes your conflicts, but many other users have problems because they've installed and uninstalled five different AV programs or because they're using the very buggy IE 5.5 beta. I would hazard a guess that these people are having problems with MANY of their downloads, not just Winamp.

So, not to blindly defend Nullsoft and the Winamp installer, but I think the majority of the responsibility lies with the users. If users want to avoid perpetual problems (not just involving downloads), they should try using a real ISP, and put a bit more effort into stabilizing their systems.

When they blindly install beta software or unproven programs, and use free or substandard ISPs, many of them create problems where none should be.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited September 14, 2000).]
Old 14th September 2000, 19:36   #5
webwizard19

xxx

[This message has been edited by webwizard19 (edited October 10, 2000).]
Old 14th September 2000, 22:39   #6
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

EUROTRASH -

Regarding the comments from webwizard19, have you encountered the CIH virus?

webwizard19 -

According to your post, you have run across the CIH virus twice, once about 6/12/00 (Winamp 2.64) and once on 9/12/00 (Winamp 2.65). Do you remember what site you downloaded from on each of those occasions?

I would be glad to do a test on my system: Run a complete virus check, download 2.65 from the site you used two days ago, install 2.65, and then re-run a complete virus check.

It seems to me that the quasi-scientific approach would be to at least collect basic data from yourself, EUROTRASH, and others, for each occurrence, such as:

Download Site
Download Date and Time
Winamp Version
Operating System
Browser Program and Version
Downloading Program (Windows, GetRight, etc.)
Size of Downloaded File in Bytes

Then maybe we all could figure out what's going on. At the very least, if the sites were known, perhaps it could be determined if a particular server is suspect. Otherwise, there is only a reference to "different sites", which doesn't help Nullsoft or the users.

--- (Later) ---

OK, webwizard19 - I ran the Proland software and my hard drive (including Winamp 2.64) is clean as a whistle (no viruses detected). Still waiting to hear which site you downloaded your "infected" Winamp 2.65 from, so I can test it for you.

BTW, I downloaded my "clean" Winamp 2.64 from winamp.com on June 17th at 5:53PM PST.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited September 14, 2000).]
Old 26th June 2001, 23:27   #7
gracjanski

It works!!!!!

Because of this argue about CRC and viruses and so on,I wanted to write something from the perspective of an user like me:
I downloaded Winamp 2.76 from the Winamp server and for the first time (and Idownloaded many programs from the internet)I get the information,that I have an error because of the installer CRC.The problem was that I deinstalled my old version of Winamp(2.65,which made no problems)from the hard disk and now I had no Winamp on the hard disk.
After reading some threads in this forum,I downloaded and executed CleanCIH and KillCIH.I erased the winamp.exe-file and downloaded winamp for the second time(this time fom the server winampheaven.com).Then I erased everything about winamp in Temporary Internet Files and I executed CleanCIH and KillCIH for the second time.
AND NOW IT WORKS!!!!!!
Therefore don´t forgive and trust to the moderators.

Thanks
Old 17th September 2001, 05:46   #8
tomtom

Link to Gnutella was 404 but I have errors trying to install Gnotella and I'm also getting this CRC error on a freshly formatted system that has always previousy had Winamp on it.
Old 17th September 2001, 13:31   #9
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Your ISP probably isn't so great.
Old 17th September 2001, 20:07   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Gnutella/Gnotella ????
Sorry, but have I missed something here?

Not sure why this thread has been revived or what the problem is, but maybe some of these revelant links will help?

CRC Check error:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=35630
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=23471
Old 22nd November 2001, 04:04   #11
Dr Manhattan

ok, can somebody sum up and dumb down the solution to this problem?
me = stupid with computers, remember that
Old 22nd November 2001, 17:36   #12
NeoRenegade
Banned

Download the Winamp installer again and try running it. If you get the error message again, then you may have a virus on your computer which is causing downloaded EXE's to be messed with.
Old 23rd November 2001, 03:52   #13
Dr Manhattan

I've tried downloading winamp again. about 40 times. and I have no virus.
Old 23rd November 2001, 17:29   #14
NeoRenegade
Banned

Just because your AV doesn't detect a virus doesn't mean you don't have one. Many virii can sabotage AV's in such ways as making themselves indetectable or preventing virus definition updates.
Old 23rd November 2001, 19:31   #15
Dr Manhattan

well let's just assume I don't have virus.
tell me how to fix this and stop dodging my question.
Old 23rd November 2001, 19:40   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Did you even read the links I posted above?
It can't be explained any simpler than that!
Old 23rd November 2001, 19:51   #17
Dr Manhattan

yes, and I did what it said. I deleted that thing from my hard drive, hell I searched my comp for winamp and deleted everything that came up. it still ain't working.
Old 23rd November 2001, 20:36   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What are you using to download with?
The default windows d/l manager (as recommended) or some 3rd-party tool? Do NOT use Download Accelerator Pro (or any similar programs which modify the EXE file).

What connection type+speed have you got?
What ISP are you using? (hopefully not AOL)

Do you select "Save To Disk" or "Run from current location"?
Have you tried both options?

Have you tried any different sites/downoad locations other than winamp.com?
eg. zdnet.com, tucows.com, www.winampheaven.da.ru . . . etc etc

If you definitely have a fast connection and good quality ISP and you've tried all the above options and more, then this only leaves the virus theory. Maybe your A-V has also been infected? What do you use?

Best way to find out is to run Windows Search.
Search for all files modified during the previous 7 days.
If any EXE files come up in the results (apart from anything brand new you've installed) then this confirms the presence of a virus. Only viruses can modify EXE files (unless you use a hex editor or some similar hacker's tool).
Old 23rd November 2001, 21:10   #19
Dr Manhattan

I am using the default windows download manager.

I am on 56k dial up

my isp is clicknet

I have tried both save to disk and run from current location.

I have tried downloading from different sites.

I did a search for files modified recently. no EXE files came up.

Quote:
this only leaves the virus theory.

perhaps, or maybe there's something wrong with winamp(or the installer or whatever).
Old 23rd November 2001, 21:31   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
or maybe there's something wrong with winamp installer
In which case no-one would be able to install Winamp.
However, this is not the case!

I'm still not sure what YOUR problem is.
The only other thing could be a corrupt internet cache. It's a long shot,
but try emptying the cache first then download the installer again.

(Assuming you're using Internet Explorer)
Close the browser -> rt click IE Desktop icon -> properties
Temporary Internet Files -> delete -> okay

btw, which version are you downloading?
Lite / standard / full ?
Have you tried all three. If not, try one of the others!

Good luck!
Old 24th November 2001, 04:46   #21
Dr Manhattan

I'm getting the full version.

Sorry if I seemed kinda angry in my earlier posts. It just really sucks to sit at the computer in silence, with no music. The new version of mediaplayer is almost as good as winamp though, so that will do until this is fixed. It might be my comp. I sincerely doubt it's a virus though. could it be anything else?
Old 24th November 2001, 13:18   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Fear not, I feel your pain!
I cannot imagine a world without Winamp

I'm pretty sure we've covered all the possible causes of the crc error.
It's got to be one of them. If not a virus (what A-V software do you have btw?), then it's more than likely a connection/ISP related issue. To be honest with ya, I'm not entirely sure

I've never experienced the crc error with any downloads of Winamp before, but I can safely assure you that there's nothing wrong with the installer from the source end, especially seeing you've tried downloading from different sites.

Oh, and did you try emptying the internet cache?

The only other suggestion is to use a 3rd-party download manager (GetRight, Go!Zilla, etc) but not one which modifies the EXE file by using extra compression algorithms (eg. Download Accelerator Pro, etc).

You could also try just getting the Standard version instead of Full.
The only difference is support for WMA.
We can sort that out for you separately once you get Winamp installed.

I'm all out of any other ideas, sad to say.
Arghh, I know how you must feel!

However, 99% of all cases of the crc error are caused by a virus which is already on your pc. Make sure you have a proper Anti-Virus program installed with the latest definitions.
Old 21st February 2002, 21:09   #23
ukmeatisrubbish

Whatever downloader you use, whatever connection you have, whether your computer is bugged, rubbish, or not, I think there is no excuse for this kind of thing to happen. WinAmp must support all environments, not just perfect ones. This is the first setup program that hasn't worked for me. I hope it'll be WinAmp's last installer not to work.
Old 21st February 2002, 21:16   #24
peter
ist death

bullshit.
we can't let you install a DAMAGED copy of Winamp. if your computer can't download a simple file and run it without modifying it, it's not our fault.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support