Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Old 25th January 2006, 02:22   #1
NewMacuser

Guide To Set Up Nicecast For Mac Using Shoutcast Right Here!

How to to stream your mac using Nicecast : Step by step instructions.

This is for using shoutcast as an external server!

After a month of playing around, searching chat forums ,asking nerdy little control freaks to spill the beans for a newbie who was just trying to get his station up, pulling my hair out and literally falling a hundred times, I managed to figure it out.

I promised myself if I learned how to do this, I would post step by step instructions on how to set this up without all the egotistical geeky just read! Read! Read! bullsh#t I've had to deal with for the last 6 weeks. And I promised that I would make it easy to understand for all of us slow people who don't have two hours a night to search corny, low content forms.
( Ok! some of the tips were sort of leading me in the right direction) IT JUST WOULD HAVE TAKEN ME ABOUT 10 YEARS TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER! THATS JUST READING EVERYTHING THE FIRST TIME!
ENOUGH! I'LL GET OFF MY SOAP BOX.....

NOTE: this is for Mac users only! The instructions for PC are everywhere.

Step 1.Don't read any instructions posted on any forums or chats! They will just confuse you. Follow all of these steps first...Then try other stuff.

Step 2. If you want to stream audio for your Mac you need (Nicecast) this is a streaming software and very simple to use.

Go here and download it : http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/

There is a trail version which is free. Currently this version is called: 1.8.2 released October 25th 2005. You will have about 20 minutes to see if this works before is will degrade your audio signal. If you run out of time that's ok! Just close out the nicecast and start over. You should at some point buy the Nicecast full version since this could interrupt your broadcast.

Download the free one first before you purchase the $40 dollar fully functional version. This way if it doesn't work you didn't waste your money like I did on (Scream software) I didn't need. Thanks Mac-forums!

Step 3. Once you have downloaded Nicecast , select the dish icon and open Nicecast. You will see the name in the upper right-hand corner of your mac screen.

next to the name you will see the following:

Nicecast Edit Control Window Help

Select (window) and open the ( show broadcast ) tittle.

A bluish box titled broadcast should pop up.

Next go back to the (window) and open the ( show server) tittle.

Another box should pop up in the upper left hand corner of this box is the name (server)

Step 4. Now separate these boxes so that they are not covering each other.

On your left hand side put the (broadcast) box on your right hand side put the (server) box. Now you should have two boxes clear as day.

Step 5. Go over to the left hand side first and you will see five buttons or drawers.

Source Info Quality Share Effects

You want to select (info):
A box should drop down and in that box is

Name:

Genre:

URL:

Track:
In the name box you can put the name of your show or your music.
In the Genre box you can put whatever you like

The important box is the URL box!

This box is for the website you will go to to stream.
This number will NOT! be a 192.168.1.100 number. The URL should be a website address! http://www.whatever.com
So find out what the URL is for what you are doing and put it there. Don't put www.whatever.com this is just an example!
Once you have put in the right URL address close the (info) box.

Step 6. Now go to the button or Drawer named (Quality)
open it and a box will drop. Follow my instructions here. most of this should be default but just in case I put the settings in.

Preset: This can be either high(DSL/Cable Modem) or whatever method you are using to connect to the internet. Like a phone cord AKA Dial up!

Bitrate: 128Kbps

Sample Rate: this should be 44.100Khz

Channels: Should be set to (Stereo)

CPU Usage/Quality: Don't worry about this!

Step 7. Now! That You have done that. Go to the (sever) box on your right hand side.

In the server box you should see:

Name: Should just populate with the name you did on the broadcast box! But if not this is just the name of your show!

Server type: !!! Pay attention. For external server ( this means if you are not using Nicecast and the primary server and you want to use something else like Icecast or Shoutcast. You have this option. I use Shoutcast so in this box I select Shoutcast as my external server type. So you should see shoutcast in the box after you have selected it.

Account: I left this blank

Password: changeme / I'm not sure if this matters! but try putting this in.
Changeme

address: The address should be 65.97.23.196 for shoutcast!

Port: This should be 8000 Not! 8001 or some other crap!

Ok! We are almost there!

Now!

Step 8. On the upper left and right hand sides of the (Sever) box you should see a little square or box. They kinda look like speaker icons! Select one and a box should pop out of the side of the Sever box.

See it? You should have the Built- in Sever with the little dish nicecast logo at the top. To stream from and external server (remember we were talking about that) you have to create an external server. To do this go to the little Plus or minus sign box and the bottom of this box. You see it? You want to add and external server.

Click it the plus sign! You can name it later but this will get you on the right track. Make sure you highlight this new server. Should be a little blue button with a dot in it once it's selected. It also is shaded red when highlighted.

Now! If you look back at the (Sever) box you will see three other drawers

Built-in Server Listeners Console

Don't sweat these or any of the info in them! Just ignore unless these setting cause a problem later. Your port box might even say 8100 don't sweat it. It shouldn't effect your broadcast.

Step 9. This is the important part.!!!!!
Most of the time you are not getting a connection because your mac has a firewall.
We need to change these settings.

So go down to the bottom of your mac page and select the white light switch with and apple logo on it!

This is your system preferences icon.

Go to internet & Networking row!

In that row you should see a blue folder with a yellow pedestrian sign called (sharing)
see it?

Select it! once you open it you want to go to the middle button called Firewall.

Select it! Now you should see

New

Edit

Delete

Select the New button

In it you should see

Port Name: CVS

TCP Port Numbers: In this box should be 8000 this will allow you to connect.

Once you have set these hit (OK)

Now it's time to test all of this! The first thing we want to do is to make sure you can connect.
Go back to the broadcast box ( on your left hand side)and select (Share) a box will drop and at the bottom you will see (Sever checker) Check Now!

If everything is correct then you will get
Nicecast Server Check: Successful! If you don't get this then go back through the steps there something your missing. Believe me! Its possible!

If you do get this message then you are ready to broadcast!

Pop a Cd and play your music from I-Tunes. This will be your source.

Once it's playing! Go to the (broadcast) box and press (Start Broadcast)

**important!!! Your stream will show an error message until you log in to your website (the one you put in for your URL!) Give it about 20 seconds and you will see the (on air) in red right next to the Start broadcast button

I really hope this helps! If you are still lost shoot me an email

TheWroot@aol.com

I'll try and walk you through it!
NewMacuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 02:25   #2
dotme

Looks like good stuff! If it works, well done. I've had a couple of people ask about this. I'll point them here. Thanks!
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 06:12   #3
Nick@ss

great stuff do you mind if i copy this to our forums for our mac users?
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 16:16   #4
glowie

thank you for the guide, NewMacuser. i have something to add on the external server set up...

Quote:
Server type: !!! Pay attention. For external server ( this means if you are not using Nicecast and the primary server and you want to use something else like Icecast or Shoutcast. You have this option. I use Shoutcast so in this box I select Shoutcast as my external server type. So you should see shoutcast in the box after you have selected it.

Account: I left this blank

Password: changeme / I'm not sure if this matters! but try putting this in.
Changeme

Port: This should be 8000 Not! 8001 or some other crap!
i think the password you enter here should be the one you created for your own shoutcast server. and then the address you enter would be the ip your shoutcast server is on (or connected to, or whatever the proper way to phrase that is ).

also...

Quote:
Most of the time you are not getting a connection because your mac has a firewall.
We need to change these settings.

Go to internet & Networking row!

In that row you should see a blue folder with a yellow pedestrian sign called (sharing)
see it?

Select it! once you open it you want to go to the middle button called Firewall.

Select it! Now you should see

New

Edit

Delete

Select the New button

In it you should see

Port Name: CVS

TCP Port Numbers: In this box should be 8000 this will allow you to connect.

Once you have set these hit (OK)
here you can actually name the new firewall "nicecast". when you hit 'new' and you see the drop down list, select 'other'. type in 'nicecast' for the port name and assign 8000 as the tcp port number.

oh, and now to actually hear your station via your shoutcast server, you have to start up the shoutcast server. open a terminal window and type:
./sc_serv
then click on 'start broadcast' in nicecast.

glowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 14:59   #5
Atari-420

i have dj's that stream with nicecast no problems but there yellow pages info doesnt show up
any ideas?
Atari-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 15:00   #6
Nick@ss

if you have questions for nicecast it is best to check the nicecast forums as the software is not supported here im afraid.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 15:09   #7
Atari-420

sorry bro, my bad
Atari-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 17:17   #8
djgermz

Does this mean if I follow the instruction above that my radio stream will feature under the searches on the ShoutCast site? If not, whats the benefit in this? Sorry this is all new to me.
djgermz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 14:02   #9
zchretien

Still not working - please advise?

I'm good until Step 9.

I had already followed the directions in the Nicecast Manual and created a Nicecast port, placing 8000 in the TCP there. Still didn't work.

When I follow these directions, click "New" a window comes up with the info. you said, CVS, but the TCP field is greyed out with the number 2401 and it doesn't let me enter 8000.

But isn't all of this a moot point if your firewall is in default position of OFF?

I tried turning it on and no change to the TCP field being greyed out.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks
zchretien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 14:09   #10
zchretien

Forgot to mention

Oh, I forgot to mention that in the Nicecast server window, everything is greyed out there as well, so I can't make changes. The "Address" has a "Check" then "Automatic" then "66.183.223.122" then "Port" then "8000" The name and password fields are greyed out, the name field has "joe" the password field is blank and the "maximum listeners" field contains "8"

It's as if all I need to do is flick a switch somewhere, but that switch isn't being mentioned in the directions here or in the Nicecast Manual!

It would be great if someone could help me solve this mystery!

Thanks!
zchretien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:10   #11
SirDLuck

i know but:
the steps you tell are not here
my firewall is in the security in the system preferences
i can't open ports i only can add programma's to a list
i have add nicecast but is doens't work
plz tell me how to do

and
this can't be teh same for everyone????
SirDLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:43   #12
SirDLuck

When i do al this steps befour step 9. Nicecast says: Establishing a connection. And when i copy the url Firefoxs says: Netwerktime-out. plz can somebody help me
SirDLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:51   #13
fc*uk

sometimes you can not connect to your external ip from within the internal network. Please post a link to your stream and someone here can check this.

The address you use should be the numbers you see when you go to www.whatismyip.com. You are correct, that address is not the same for everyone. The address used is your IP address.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 14:57   #14
Meadowlark

Thanks

This looks pretty thorough. I was using NiceCast server for the time being. I shall try the steps for an external server since I still want to have the option of using either. Thank you to all of you, especially NewMacuser for getting this into concrete steps. By the way, do you guys use Soundflower with NiceCast or?
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:51   #15
NewMacuser

Guide To Set Up Nicecast For Mac Using Shoutcast Right Here (PART 2) DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!

In 2006 I posted a step-by-step method for getting NiceCast to work with Macs. At the time, that was all we pod casters had out there! Since posting that tutorial, I have helped thousands of people broadcast their shows and creations right from their own homes.
Today in 2010, I still receive hundreds of request from users who have questions about the post and need further assistance. While I am not the tech support guy I do know what it feels like to be stuck trying to get this NiceCast system to work. With all of that said. It is 2010!!! A whole 4 years since my original step-by-step instructions. Anyone still using the ancient unsupported systems of NiceCast are in the stone age!! I quit using this system nearly four years ago. IF YOU WANT TO BROAD CAST YOUR OWN SHOW OR PODCAST, DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR! SCREW NICECAST OR ANY OTHER CASTING SOFTWARE FOR THAT MATTER, THEY SUCK!!! WORK SMARTER AND SIGN UP FOR A FREE ACCOUNT WITH
BLOG TALK RADIO!!!!!! THEY WILL GET YOU OUT OF THE TECH SHIT AND GET YOU BACK INTO DOING WHAT YOU WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE—MAKING SHOWS AND BROADCASTING YOUR PODS> TRUST ME. DO THE MATH/ SET UP NICECAST AND SPEND TWO OR THREE MONTHS TRYING TO GET IT TO FINALLY WORK OR GET 100X MORE RELIABILITY. ADVERTISING, STREAM LINE SUPPORT. A PHONE NUMBER SO PEOPLE CAN CALL IN TO YOUR BROADCAST, PLUS UNRESTICTED BANDWIDTH, ALL IN JUST 5 MINUTES.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
3 F#%&&* MONTHS FOR SUCCESSFUL SET UP OR COMPLETE SET UP IN UNDER 5 MINUTES ! YOU DO THE MATH.

IF YOU STILL WANT TO WASTE TIME AND DO NICECAST! YOUR AN IDIOT!!! SO DON’T EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS PLEASE IF YOU JUST WANT TO DO SHIT THE HARD WAY AND SPLIT HAIRS! I CANT SEE ANY REASON WHY I WOULD USE NICECAST IN 2010! IF YOU WANT TO MAKE LIFE EASIER AGAIN, THERE ARE SEVERAL POSTCASTING AND RAIDO CASTING SITES OUT THERE YOU CAN USE!
NewMacuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:33   #16
Museter

Free Flash Players for your nicecast radio stream

Please stop by and check out our free radio flash players that you can use with your nicecast streaming server. I just had a client set up nicecast since they were using a mac. Had no idea you could stream from a mac with this. Good to know this as I don't know how many mac users we turned away.

Any here is the link to get a flash player. You can choose from many skins and options in many languages. Most importantly it has anti memory leak technology so it won't crash your listeners browsers like most other players do.

Get Your Free Online Radio Hosting Flash Player
Museter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:42   #17
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

i'm sure you mean well, but i'm really not sure bumping a thread which has been dead for over a year to pimp your flash players is such a good thing (especially as that's all most of your recent posts are trying to do). maybe if it was a currently active thread i'd have ignored it but a thread which has been dead for a year is going too far i believe.

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:56   #18
Museter

Yes you are right.

No problem Daz. I just got a guy on my site right now trying to use nicecast to stream.

I will refrain.

Dennis
Museter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions