Old 29th March 2006, 06:13   #1
webthing
Forum King

"Chrysler Air Raid Siren"

What you see pictured above is a Chrysler Air Raid Siren, the most powerful siren in the world. It's the size of a car, measuring near 12-feet in length and standing more than 6-feet tall. It also weighs twice as much as today's typical car. This gigantic siren is powered by an 180-HP Chrysler Industrial V-8 HEMI® gasoline engine. The super-duty engine directly drives a three-stage compressor that blows 2,610 cubic feet of air a minute, at nearly 7 PSI, into a giant siren rotor. The compressed air screams through the chopper and out through six giant horns with an exit velocity of 400 miles per hour. The result is an incredibly loud 138 dB sound (measured 100 feet from the siren). The loudness of this siren is unmatched by any other warning device ever sold, ever. It's also considerably louder than the largest steam whistle or horn. As if that were not dramatic enough, the whole unit, engine and all, slowly rotates one and one-half times a minute on its iron turntable base.

Chrysler Air Raid Siren - Specifications

Years of Manufacture:
1952 - 1957
Manufacturer:
Marine and Industrial Division of the Chrysler Engine Division of the Chrysler Corporation of Trenton, Michigan
Power Plant:
Chrysler Industrial 20A 480 Engine
Part Number 1487028
Serial Number 6225
90 degree inclined V-8
4-cycle gasoline converted to propane
331.1 cubic inch displacement
hemispherical cylinder heads
180 HP @ 4000 RPM
312 foot pounds torque @ 2000 RPM
7.5 to 1 compression ratio
Bore 3-13/16 inches / Stroke 3-5/8 inches
Propane carburetor
Stellite faced exhaust valves
Idle speed 650 RPM
Running speed 4600 RPM
Power Train:
13 inch Gyrol fluid coupling
11 inch friction type single plate, dry disc clutch
Compressor:
American Blower
Three stage centrifugal type compressor stiff shaft unit
43 inch OD cast iron housing
22-3/4 inch OD cast aluminum heat treated alloy impellers
Rated speed 4,600 RPM
Discharge volume 2,610 CFM
Discharge pressure 6.95 psig
Projectors:
Six throated cast aluminum
Directional beam exponential type
Length 25-1/2 inches (group)
Height 37-1/2 inches (group)
Width 19 inches (group)
Sound Output:
138 dBC at 100 feet
Single Tone, 460 Hz
[ Coverage Area ]
Size & Weight:
Assembly overall length 135 inches
Assembly overall width 45 inches
Assembly height 62 inches
Assembly height with exhaust 71 inches
Total weight 5,543 pounds
Price:
$5,500.00 (1952)

At maximum RPM, with short acoustic-coupler (horn-extension) the Bell-Chrysler air-raid siren generates 138 dbC (approximately 134 dbA) at 100 ft. or 30 meters, 0 degrees on axis, in anechoic, full space environment, and an estimated 30,000 watts of overall acoustic power. The three Kockums steam horns mentioned above would generate around 132 dbC (approximately 126 dbA) at 100 ft., 0 degrees on axis, in anechoic, full-space and about 50,000 watts of overall acoustic power.

How loud is 138 dB? Very, Very, VERY LOUD!
138 dB C-weighted is approximately equal to 30,000 Watts of sound power.

The Chrysler Air Raid Siren is the loudest sound signaling device ever built. The threshold of pain is 130 dB, anything above that level causes immediate ear damage. The Chrysler Air Raid Siren produces that level of sound nearly 200 feet in front of the projectors. The Chrysler Air Raid Siren is approximately fourteen times louder than a jackhammer!

To give some perspective, the sound level on the deck of an aircraft carrier 50 feet from a military jet aircraft taking-off using an afterburner has been measured at 130 dB. The Chrysler Air Raid Siren measures 138 dB at 100 feet (nearly twice the sound level at twice the distance).

Most popular air raid and warning sirens today produce a sound level of 127 dB at 100 feet and provide a typical one-mile radius coverage area. At 138 dB the Chrysler Air Raid Siren is approximately two times as loud and will provide a two and one-half mile radius coverage area with the same sound level at the distant edge. The most powerful siren available for purchase today (American Signal's Tempest™ T-135-AC™) produces a sound level of 135 dB at 100 feet. The 3dB higher output of the Chrysler Air Raid Siren, at 138 dB, represents twice as much sound energy output.

Siren coverage is based on a 10 dB loss factor. That's to say, for every doubling of distance from the siren the sound level will be reduced 10 dB.

This is a recording of BigRed™ on May 25, 2003, the third time it was started and run in Texas. This time it we were testing the clutch and the engine was started and idled with the compressor clutch disengaged.
Sound Clip #6 - Start & Idle - No Siren .WAV file - 45 seconds (986KB)
START

This is a long recording of BigRed™ on May 25, 2003, during its entire fourth run in Texas. Again the engine is started with the clutch disengaged, idled, clutch engaged, and run up to about 3000 RPM, a hesitation while checking performance, then 4600 RPM - full throttle! (Note: The clutch works great, in the future the engine will be usually started and stopped with the clutch in either engaged or disengaged position.)
Sound Clip #8 - Full Run .WAV file - 59 seconds (1.25MB)
START

This is a recording of Harry Barry's Detroit siren as heard five miles away. Although the siren was pointed in Harry's direction, it was not visible over a ridge between the two distant points. The siren was mounted on a trailer and not at optimum height for sound coverage. At this distance it takes the siren sound about twenty-four seconds (same length of time as this clip) to travel from the siren to the listener. The siren volume was estimated to be 55 to 58 dB at this distance!
Sound Clip #10 - Warning Signal .WAV file - 24 sec.(256KB)
START

Thankx victorysiren.com

http://www.victorysiren.com

webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 13:05   #2
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Holy Sounds From Hell!
That's one big mutha fukka!

What a lame assed Hemi though that only produces 180 bhp. With a little tweaking, I'm sure we can scare the shit out of people 30 miles away
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 13:28   #3
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Pah, that's not loud!

http://www.makeitlouder.com/Decibel%20Level%20Chart.txt

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 13:33   #4
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Ah, my favorite!

Quote:
163-153 (N) N.H.R.A. DRAGSTERS- 5000 TO 7000 HORSEPOWER, LIQUID NITROGLYCERIN FUEL,
EARTHSHAKING AT 50 FEET, HUMANS FIND IT HARD TO SEE, AND BREATHE 140db(P) -REF.1.1987
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 17:19   #5
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
My favorite: 202-198 (P) HUMAN DEATH FROM SOUND

I'm sorry, but that is cool. I didn't even know it was possible, but I've never really sat down and thought about it before. Yet now that I am, it seems like it could happen. But since I'm invincible, I would have to try it out.

With all the cool things you see at only 156...
Quote:
IN A MINI-VAN WITH TWENTY 12” WOOFERS AND 19,000 WATTS OF AMPLIFIER POWER. EACH SPEAKERS IS DISPLACING (PUMPING BACK AND FORTH ) 0.75 INCHES IF LONG HAIR WOMEN SIT IN IT, HER HAIR WILL FLY OUT OF WINDOW WITH BASS WINDSHIELD WIPERS FLY OFF VEHICLE 1/2 TO 2 INCHES, DOOR AND FRONT WINDSHIELD FLEXION MAY BE UP TO +-2 INCHES OR 4 INCHES PEAK TO PEAK
...just imagine the cool shit you would see while dying. At least you would go out with a bang!

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 17:53   #6
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
IN A MINI-VAN WITH TWENTY 12” WOOFERS AND 19,000 WATTS OF AMPLIFIER POWER. EACH SPEAKERS IS DISPLACING (PUMPING BACK AND FORTH ) 0.75 INCHES IF LONG HAIR WOMEN SIT IN IT, HER HAIR WILL FLY OUT OF WINDOW WITH BASS WINDSHIELD WIPERS FLY OFF VEHICLE 1/2 TO 2 INCHES, DOOR AND FRONT WINDSHIELD FLEXION MAY BE UP TO +-2 INCHES OR 4 INCHES PEAK TO PEAK
Woah. Trying to picture what's happening here...

OK - twenty 12" woofers, 19K watts, each "speakers" (each..."set of speakers", I suppose this means?) is displacing 0.75 inches [ONLY] if long hair(ed) women (why not long-haired men?) sit inside the speakers. If more than one woman (or any person, for that matter) sit inside a speaker, it'll impede the speaker's ability to move and therefore make sound, but this is what they are claiming as the criteria for their test.

BUT ANYWAY... OK, so a small group of long-haired women are sitting inside each speaker and their hair is flying out the windows along with bass windshield wipers... Now, *I* want some bass windshield wipers. I can only find mid-range windshield wipers, and it pisses me off to no end. OK, OK, so the bass windshield wipers weren't fully attached to the cowling, as they are flying off the vehicle, although only 0.5 to 2 inches, so not too severely.

And the doors and front windshield are vibrating up to 4 inches. It doesn't say how far the rear windshield moves, though.

I'm not sure how all this can be happening with several long-haired women sitting inside each speaker, even with the help of the bass windshield wipers. How small are these women? And how powerful are these windshield wipers?

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 17:55   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

The tsunami sirens we have on the coast here are only 128db, but they are a lot smaller than that an are electric.

That's pretty loud. I heard a test one time, and I think you'd wake up.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 29th March 2006 at 18:17.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 18:42   #8
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Does your town have long-haired women sitting inside the sirens?

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 20:33   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

All the Oregon Coast towns have these signs and the sirens. The arrows almost always point east. Go figure.

Maybe we could have saved a buck and forgot the arrows. I think I had that part figured out. I always thought that was a little funny.... novel concept, during a tsunami, go away from the ocean... hmmmm. Usually, it's really obvious, because most of these towns only have one real road. The governors brother in law must be a sign painter.

I'm inland about 60 miles, so not my town. I like to spend time on the coast though.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 22:23   #10
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

We have some odd signs here too... check out the name of the bridge.

In memory of all the dick hunters out there!

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 23:34   #11
mikm
Major Dude

I want to install an air-raid siren on top of my car. Or get an old pickup and put it in the bed.

Why? Emergency carhorn reserved for use on terminal dumbasses.