Winamp for Linux Ubuntu?

Is there a copy and where can I get it?
Old 25th June 2006, 08:56   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

No.
Old 25th June 2006, 08:58   #3
kai696

was that blunt or am I just being nieve...

XMMS <---- Winamp for Linux..what the hell? and how do I install? (even if - and i just heard this - it's crappy)
Old 25th June 2006, 09:11   #4
siebe83
Forum King

XMMS isn't Winamp. XMMS is another application, made to look like Winamp.
This is the Winamp support forum.

Some people reported that Winamp can run under Linux using Wine (with limited features, eg. only classic skins). No guarantees though, Winamp is a Windows program.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
Old 25th June 2006, 12:14   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
under ubuntu xmms can be installed from a shell as root by

apt-get -y install xmms

if it errors out, make sure that you've updated your package lists

apt-get update

xmms is in ubuntu's default repositories as far as I know so there shouldn't be a problem with not finding it.

//edit, the root account is disabled by default in ubuntu. If you haven't enabled it, just type "sudo" in front of those commands.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 26th June 2006, 15:04   #6
kai696

K, I got XMMS working...but it's not the same as Winamp Someone tell the creator of Winamp to make one for Ubuntu!

Thanks again for the help, It does work,
Old 26th June 2006, 16:06   #7
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

the dev team are pushed enough as it is to maintain a windows version let alone going all out on mutli-platform support (just look at the result of Winamp3). it's not going to happen due to Winamp being too tied down to the Windows OS and all of it's apis and that there's not the time or resources to do so. you're flogging a dead horse unfortunately

-daz
Old 26th June 2006, 19:24   #8
Rocker

wait for songbird.
Old 26th June 2006, 22:11   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I'm waiting for xmms2

actually, i don't know much about songbird, what does it have to offer?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 28th June 2006, 11:37   #10
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
actually, i don't know much about songbird, what does it have to offer?
Not much yet. It is supposed to be developed into a Winamp equivalent, i.e. plays anything, has skins, uhhh.... What ever. At the moment is it too like iTunes. One poor huge iInterface.

An almost v0.2 is available and you can check out the features here.

#winamp on irc.tehflap.org — Winamp ATF Reference
I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER? — My cPro timer widget
Do NOT email me with tech support questions.
Old 28th June 2006, 19:11   #11
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

It's a iTunes rip-off based on the Gecko (Mozilla/Firefox) engine. Using the power of a browser to make a media player.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
Old 1st July 2006, 12:22   #12
RejZoR

WinAMP could work under Linux. Just by using OpenAL instead DirectSound (as DS is not avaialble under Linux).
Everything else could be pretty much the same.
Old 1st July 2006, 14:16   #13
amano
Major Dude

As Ubuntu is a pretty common Linux variant:

Does nobody feel the urge to write a Winamp 4 Ubuntu tutorial? With all the packages needed, all Winamp settings to be set? Maybe nOOb friendly as well?

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 2nd July 2006, 00:39   #14
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by J_Darnley
Not much yet. It is supposed to be developed into a Winamp equivalent, i.e. plays anything, has skins, uhhh.... What ever. At the moment is it too like iTunes. One poor huge iInterface.

An almost v0.2 is available and you can check out the features here.
I think that they did that to prove that it could be just as attractive as iTunes and be a viable alternative to it.
Old 2nd July 2006, 03:50   #15
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by amano
As Ubuntu is a pretty common Linux variant:

Does nobody feel the urge to write a Winamp 4 Ubuntu tutorial? With all the packages needed, all Winamp settings to be set? Maybe nOOb friendly as well?
Please do. Linux can always use more people to do documentation.

Old 8th January 2007, 08:24   #16
jim00bob

what you could do is install wine from http://www.winehq.com, which is a windows emulator of sorts, and then install the windows version of winamp.
Old 11th January 2007, 10:19   #17
J_Darnley
Forum King

Wine is not an emulator. I can just about get Winamp to work with Wine on Ubuntu. It does not like modern skins, 24 bit audio, some plugins, and updating the media library. Fortunately the main input plugins work, FLAC, MP3 and Vorbis. I assume some of the others work but I have to files to test them with.

I just installed wine with a deb file from the website. Ran the Winamp installer with wine winampinstaller.exe. I had to set up the soundcard in the wine configuration so Winamp would think there was one. I then played music successfully.

I still prefer it to the Ubuntu offerings, XMMS, Totem, and Rhythmbox. I don't like XMMS, at first I couldn't get the FLAC input plugin to install correctly. I guess Totem is really for video. Rhythmbox is absolutely stupid. It wants to play all the music in it's library when I click on one file.

Old 11th January 2007, 22:40   #18
Hitchhiker427

In my opinion, the best audio player for Linux is Amarok. Although it's made for KDE, it'll work fine in Gnome with the correct libraries. I'm running Ubuntu (Gnome) with Amarok as my music player. It's not as good as Winamp, but it's the best you're going to get in Linux.
Old 12th January 2007, 00:50   #19
amano
Major Dude

Well. A little Linux report: First I tried to run Winamp itself under wine. I downloaded a .deb installer for wine from the wine homepage and got winamp acutally running on ubuntu. But since wine is a wrapper which wraps calls to the windows api straight to corresponding functions of the linux api and since winamp makes heavy usage of the windows api, winamp works worse than other windows programs on wine.

Some things that do not work:
- midi playback
- the ML doesn't show up
- modern skins do not show
- Dro's JTFE plugin doesn't work
- and worst: dragging winamp windows and even file manager windows caused winamp to stutter. At least for my setup.

"phew" I thought. That leaves me with the same winamp functionality that some winamp clones/look-alikes offer:

The clones:
The old "classic" winamp clone was XMMS for years. But its designers stopped developing it in 2004 and started developing XMMS 2 which is a client/server backend, not a winamp clone.

But some developers forked the project and started developing the Beep Media Player. Basically it is XMMS with some enhancements. But - maybe you guess - the developers started BMPx, which is in development, but isn't intended to mimic winamp anymore.

But some developers (the 3rd generation) took over and the current fork is called "Audacious". So all people switching to linux should have a look at that first: http://audacious-media-player.org/Main_Page

Especially at the feature list. It is basically winamp 2.8 with some basic queuing support and a rather bad "avs" clone.

Since I am used to the Winamp ML, I use the gnome default player "Rhythmbox" as my Media Library and DragN'Drop the songs into the Audacious playlist.

Here a screenshot with winamp on the left and audacious on the right side.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88

Last edited by amano; 12th January 2007 at 01:33.
Old 13th January 2007, 17:15   #20
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
if there were to be a native linux version of winamp it would have been dev'd and released by now.

and just cuz you ask doesn't mean it would happen anyways.

In short I'm getting sick of the "make a native version of winamp for ____" threads. I don't know how many times DrO has mentioned that it's not possible due to lack of dev's among many other things.

Maybe Dr. Jones should start banning folks who don't know how to use the search function.(I mention him cuz he's funny when he bans sometimes)

.STanger
Old 15th January 2007, 20:57   #21
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Maybe he should start banning folks that don't look at the posting dates

Old 19th January 2007, 17:09   #22
amano
Major Dude

CORRECTIONS to my Ubuntu report:

- Crackling: Doesn't happen if you use the wave_out plugin and increase the buffer

- AVS works fine, just Fullscreen mode doesn't work

+ Issues when minimizing winamp

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 20th March 2007, 03:39   #23
Jercos

Send a message via ICQ to Jercos Send a message via AIM to Jercos Send a message via Yahoo to Jercos
OMG!!! teh winamp dev team must make a version of winamp for amiga OS! :P jk, but I have seen things on the net that say they are winamp for linux, that I can't get to run (alien doesn't install the rpm's properly I guess...) so I have no idea where they were originaly from, but yeah... just google "winamp linux" and there are three hits that claim to have winamp 3 for linux alpha 1...
Old 20th March 2007, 07:15   #24
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Winamp3 alpha 1 is available out there somewhere, but if you wanna use a product that was abandoned several years ago and didn't work all that well to start with, go ahead , try winamp for Mac while you are at it

If only people had given Winamp3 a chance, we might have had a multi platform application now, instead of the weekly 'make winamp for (insert o/s)'
Old 20th March 2007, 08:41   #25
pablo.see

If I was switching to Linux, Winamp is one of that applications, that I was missing most. I use Winamp mainly because DrO plugins. Big THANKS for him.
Porting winamp will not enough to switch to linux. In that case DrO should port his plugins to linux. He will not do this because He isn't crazy or isn't crazy enough. So there will be no winamp for linux ever.
I think this thread should be sticky, for all people searching Winamp for linux.
Old 20th March 2007, 09:06   #26
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

There are already sticky threads saying 'Winamp for Linux/Mac/Your favourite O/S = never gonna happen', no body ever reads those (hence why this and many other threads even exists), why would they read this one?
Old 15th October 2007, 04:28   #27
Uberkeyser

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
There are already sticky threads saying 'Winamp for Linux/Mac/Your favourite O/S = never gonna happen', no body ever reads those (hence why this and many other threads even exists), why would they read this one?
It already happened, dude.
Winamp 3 was released (as Alphaversion) on October 9, 2001 (still available here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...x/1002748075/1)
[edit: seems that links are not displayed here, so look it up at fileforum-dot-betanews-dot-com ]
Unfortunatetly it was discontinued thereafter due to "lack of interest".

I think it is good to ignore those stickies and keep asking for Linux Versions of popular programs like Winamp.

Managements of Softwarecompanies claim that there were not enough customers requesting a Linux version, at the same time they are trying to calm down the masses requesting them.
Hmmm,... i see.

For the meantime i also would like to refer every Linux user to Amarok. Its quite a very good Media Player. So famous that it is now being ported to Win.
Old 15th October 2007, 04:37   #28
Uberkeyser

one more thing on the alledged lack of interest for a linux version.

This thread labeled "Winam for Ubuntu" has been viewed more then 26.000 times as by now.

How comes if nobody is interested in the topic, he?
Old 15th October 2007, 04:42   #29
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Just because someone views a thread doesn't want they want Winamp on Linux? I sure don't. Development times is strained as it is, don't want it wasted on some joke. Plus, nobody has quite figured out how to turn thread views into actual money to hire developers.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C |
Old 15th October 2007, 06:28   #30
Uberkeyser

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Just because someone views a thread doesn't want they want Winamp on Linux? I sure don't. Development times is strained as it is, don't want it wasted on some joke. Plus, nobody has quite figured out how to turn thread views into actual money to hire developers.
You sound as if you are afraid of Linux!?!

I wonder how much effort it would cost anyway. A well drafted program should be easy to port to other platforms.

However, i just tried to install Winamp on Kubuntu Feisty using Wine. Worked flawless as far i can tell.
Good thing also the uninstall routine worked flawless. Because actually WHAT FOR should i have Winamp on Ubuntu. In the Windows world i need it to avoid WMP, Real, itunes and all the other Ad-Worms. Under Linux there are already enough Alternatives.
It would be nice to have an interface for Winamp plugins. but regarding the Winamp-Program itself i say as long winamp doesnt come up with another DRM-bullshit or so, theres no need to port to Linux.
So i can agree on that.

However if users utter their wish for Winamp on Linux, nobody should tell them to shut up. Especially not a forum moderator.
Old 15th October 2007, 06:42   #31
Rocker

would it be winamp if it had support for NONE of todays plugins? as all plugins are win32.

they might as well fix whatever problems or issues their is in the skinning system aswell, and call it winamp 6 based on winamp 3. lol
Old 15th October 2007, 11:13   #32
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

People are interested. It's just totally unfeasible. Winamp's power is in its plugin repository, which will not work on anything other than a win32 build of winamp.

Yes, thats effectively crapping over any other platforms (win64 included).

Old 18th October 2007, 17:32   #33
Robster400

I love winamp, but i despise windows. winamp is the only app that keeps me tied to a windows platform,to have it on linux would be awesome...a real shame it can't be done..

Too much is never enough...
Last.fm
Old 18th October 2007, 23:31   #34
Ellipsys

You can use it under WINE, but I highly suggest using XMMS or AmaroK for audio under any Linux build. AmaroK will pretty much do everything winamp/itunes/mediamonkey does, except play video. For video, there's always Mplayer or Xine.
Old 18th October 2007, 23:53   #35
Robster400

I use Amarok most of the time on linux,as it is a fine player,but its just ain't winamp if you know what i mean.. its been my player of choice for 8 years,and helped some great partys with a projector and wicked visuals.. anyhow.. do you know how well winamp will function using WINE?

Too much is never enough...
Last.fm
Old 19th October 2007, 17:07   #36
J_Darnley
Forum King

Poorly, is how I would state it. With using a clean installation of wine I was limited to classic only skins and my ML not updating. Playback was fine once I setup the soundcard in winecfg but I could not get 24-bit output working.

Old 20th October 2007, 08:52   #37
jovanoti

Winamp is pretty tied to Win32 due to plugin support. So porting will be great effort. Now for Linux there are a lot of players which deserve attenttion. Audacious is good alternative. Xmms2 is yet not so good, but I like the concept. XMMS2 is something like Music Player Daemon. MPD is The Player which I was searching all the time for Linux. And MPD is multiplatform, Windows port is a bit buggy yet.
Old 22nd October 2007, 06:18   #38
s0ygecko

Send a message via ICQ to s0ygecko Send a message via AIM to s0ygecko Send a message via Yahoo to s0ygecko
First, Sorry for post this.
A lil thing, i really don't write well in english.
I try Winamp 5.5 on Ubuntu AMD64, Modern skin works well but don't show me library or vis(i don't test more than that).
If you use the classic, works well but i can't understand how disapper my AVS window and really wnts that(works pretty fast) and when use it on Vista is toooooo slow.
other, I see some time ago an eSound Output plugin for winamp...¿how is that this happens?
Old 22nd October 2007, 06:29   #39
s0ygecko

Send a message via ICQ to s0ygecko Send a message via AIM to s0ygecko Send a message via Yahoo to s0ygecko
I forgot to ask some.¿the programmers knows about winelib?
is a posible scape from OUR PROBLEM
Old 17th November 2007, 09:33   #40
derki

I`ve started winamp in modern skin also and with shoutcast support too...
Only few tricks and you can make this too,

for first you need original Windows font you can download them from http://block.derkis.net/fonts.tar.bz2 after untaring those copy them to your virtual wine directory under windows/fonts,

next step open your wine configuration from System/Preferences go to Graphics tab and check "Emulate virtual desktop" checkbox (good stuff for running games under linux too), in applications tab set "Windows version" to Windows XP, in Audio try first check OSS Sounds drivers if it won`t work try to run it with ALSA.

This time your winamp`ll start up but it might have an error with direct sound driver so visit preferences from options, and see the output options, try to swap between drivers from there, I`ve succesfully started it with out_wawe.dll.

I hope I`ve helped somebody
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion