Winamp 5.25 Beta, build 868
Winamp 5.25 Beta Full
Winamp 5.25 Beta Pro
(asks for key during install)
Winamp 5.25 Beta Standard
(same as Full but no ML or viz)
Winamp 5.25 Beta Lite
* New: Unicode filename and title support
* New: M3U8 (Unicode) playlist support
* New: optional 24bit playback for many codecs (turn it on in Preferences->Playback)
* New: added ml views & playlists to Play-> submenu of main right click popup menu
* New: Replaygain support for MP3, M4A/AAC and OGG (enable in Prefs > Playback)
* New: [ml_pmp] Transcoding. Converts incompatible files on-the-fly.
* New: [ml_pmp] Playback now works for playsForSure and Creative NJB devices
* New: [ml_pmp] "Copy to Library" - transfer songs from any device to your local library
* New: [ml_pmp] video sync support for portables
* New: [ml_rg] replaygain scanner (access via Send To menu)
* New: [pmp_usb] USB Portable/Device Support
* Improved: 24bit EQ support
* Improved: fullscreen video seekbar
* Improved: ATF updates
* Improved: DC filter on spectral visualization, to remove bass bias
* Improved: preference cleanups
* Improved: faster PLS writing
* Improved: "Close Winamp" option after installation (after clicking 'Send')
* Improved: [gen_ff] better sample rate display
* Improved: [in_dshow] AVI metadata reading
* Improved: [in_dshow] better WAV support
* Improved: [in_mp3] 24bit MP3 playback, 64bit internal precision
* Improved: [in_mp3] streaming id3v2 support
* Improved: [in_mp3/in_mp4] 24bit AAC playback
* Improved: [in_wave] better outputs bits-per-sample choosing
* Improved: [ml_local] better non-english query support
* Improved: [ml_pmp] Only relevant columns shown in song views
* Improved: [ml_pmp] "Getting Metadata" now much faster
* Improved: [ml_pmp] devices can now be renamed
* Improved: [ml_pmp] added progress to portables tree item (no more switching views)
* Improved: [ml_pmp] metadata guessing based on filename
* Improved: [ml_pmp] improved GUI performance
* Improved: [pmp_ipod] support for iTunesLock
* Fixed: Burning files that require resampling
* Fixed: multiple copies of Winamp when opening too many files/folders from explorer
* Fixed: freeze when exiting via System Tray icon
* Fixed: Delay/hang when loading dead stream url's
* Fixed: crash when directdraw fails to create primary surface
* Fixed: [enc_lame] broken vbr presets
* Fixed: [enc_lame] 24bit input support
* Fixed: [gen_ff] layerfx not being redrawn on colortheme change
* Fixed: [gen_ff] gradient drawing glitch and crash
* Fixed: [gen_ff] custom color themes bug
* Fixed: [gen_jumpex] hang when suspending or hibernating
* Fixed: [in_cdda] cutoff of last few sectors
* Fixed: [in_dshow] crash when using DSP/EQ on anything bigger than 16bit stereo
* Fixed: [in_midi] truncated playback of some MIDI files
* Fixed: [in_mod] title display bug for module streams with no title
* Fixed: [in_mp3] crash when editing ID3 tags
* Fixed: [in_mp3] ID3v2 and ID3v1 Comment & Genre tags shared
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Inaccurate Time Remaining display for AAC files
* Fixed: [in_wm] DRM Video playback on certain hardware
* Fixed: [in_wm] freezeup when seeking a paused wma/wmv
* Fixed: [in_wm] Hang with dead WMV link in pledit in Repeat mode
* Fixed: [ml_disc] CD ripping / playlist generation bug
* Fixed: [ml_disc] CD Ripping view showing up when clicking on other ml views
* Fixed: [ml_online] Online Media bugfix (don't try to play NULL streams)
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] losing stream titles
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] sort by title
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] Send To from local media to ml playlist replaces instead of enqueues
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] Enqueue as default broken in left pane
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] Playlist title > rt-click > New Playlist = broken
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] tracklength bug
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] playlist paths issue
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Transfers stalling after encountering a dupe
* Fixed: [out_ds] volume not hitting 0dB when using log or hybrid volume control
* Fixed: [pmp_ipod] Artist list on iPod not sorting "The" correctly
* Updated: [enc_lame] LAME 3.97b3
* Updated: [gen_ff] Freetype 2.2.1
* Updated: [gen_ff] libpng 1.2.12
* Updated: [gen_jumpex] Jump-to-File 0.97.7h
* Updated: [in_wave] libsndfile 1.0.16
* Updated: [libmp4v2] MPEG4IP mp4v2 1.5
* Updated: Sonic Engine 188.8.131.520
Build 801 changelog
Build 812 changelog
Build 825 changelog
Build 834 changelog
Build 843 changelog
Build 857 changelog
Build 868 changelog
Newer in_vorbis.dll available - download
(fixes ReplayGain scan for .ogg files in b868)
The Media Library (Local Media & Playlists) still doesn't support unicode, so either don't add files with non-latin characters to the ml, or uncheck "use library title info for playlist item formatting" in Prefs > Media Library > Local Media (to make titles display correctly in the playlist window). Unicode support for the ML is planned for the next major release.
The same applies to the Taskbar icon, where you'll probably just see ?????? instead.
Note that both of these two issues require a MAJOR fix before they can be implemented.
Note the new "Playback" section in the Preferences.
This will be filled out more in due course.
"Allow 24bit" is unchecked by default (for sound cards/chips which don't support it).
With it unchecked, playback will still be 16bit, as in all previous versions.
With it checked, playback will be 24bit instead of 16, or 32/64bit depending on the file being played (eg. 32bit float-point WAVs will be played at 32bit).
"Allow surround sound" is checked by default, and is now required for files encoded with multiple channels (5.1).
You can see the current Output Format via the Status tab in out_ds config,
eg. for this file
you should see "48000 Hz, 24bits per sample, 6 channels".
"Force mono" is unchecked by default, but can now be used globally if needs be.
At this time, these settings effect in_mp3, in_mp4, in_mod, in_wave and in_vorbis
(in_wm to come soon, not sure about in_midi, heh).
Also note that 3rd-party input plugins will currently not use these shared settings, though the 5.25 SDK
should provide developers with all the necessary info.
Build 843 and later has global ReplayGain, currently supported by in_mp3, in_mp4 and in_vorbis (other formats to come). Note that when RG is enabled in Prefs > Playback, the default preamp for non-replaygained files is -6dB, so you might want to increase this value if you find that some files are playing too quietly (0dB is equivalent to normal playback).
To scan/apply replaygain to mp3 files, right-click the selection in the ml or playlist and use the Send To menu > Calculate Replay Gain.
The filenames for the RG Scanner are ml_rg.dll & ReplayGainAnalysis.dll (Winamp\Plugins)
From build 843, ATF now supports:
eg. [ '( Gain:' %replaygain_track_gain% ')']
Note: %gain% currently only works for mp3
Be warned that calculating ReplayGain uses high amounts of cpu (no matter what program you use to do it with), so we advise that you only scan large amounts of files overnight whilst you sleep. Scanning single tracks/albums should be ok to do at any time, though make sure no other cpu-intensive process is running concurrently.
-Audigy 2 ZS EAX effects alternating on & off in 24bit mode
(note, this is a hardware limitation, not a winamp bug/issue)
Solution: disable 'fade on seek' in out_ds config > fading.
-Prefs > Shoutcast Wire > Subscription Updates: Update Every[*] setting resets to Never on Winamp Restart (note, we can't reproduce this on clean installs and aren't yet sure what the cause of it is on upgrades).
Report any issues with the beta here in this thread. Do not post them in the main Tech or Bugs forums (unless they also exist in 5.24). As always, provide as much relevant info as possible to help us to reproduce any potential bugs/issues. And remember that reports are only valid for clean installs with no 3rd-party plugins. Lame/vague reports will probably just be ignored. You have been warned!
Please keep this thread to the discussion of 5.25-specific issues only.
Remember, this isn't the wishlist, so please don't post feature requests here.
Old Winamp 5.24 Released thread
Old Winamp 5.23 Beta thread
Old Winamp 5.22 Released thread
Old Winamp 5.21 Released thread
Old Winamp 5.2 Released thread