Old 11th October 2006, 18:37   #1
gordol

Insert CD, crash Winamp

Winamp 5.3 on XP Pro sp2. I have installed the update pack.

When I start Winamp and then insert a CD, it goes wonky and then crashes.

The wonkyness consists of the library view of the CD info going white-on-white, playing the first second or two of the first few tracks, and then it crashes. No attempt is being made to contact Microsoft, though a Dr. Watson log is created.

This is 100% repeatable. The crash log is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp-drwtsn.zip (16.9 KB, 1104 views)
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 17:08   #2
siebe83
Forum King

see if the suggestions here help:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....65#post1223065

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 20:27   #3
gordol

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
see if the suggestions here help:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....65#post1223065
That seems to have worked around the bug, thank you.
Old 13th October 2006, 16:12   #4
gordol

I spoke too soon. Making those changes did not help. It's still crashing the same way when inserting a CD. Also, it now pauses in the middle of track playback.

So if anything, it's now worse.
Old 30th October 2006, 13:25   #5
gordol

Just a followup: Upgrading to Winamp 5.31 did not resolve this problem. It still crashes in the same way when I insert a CD while Winamp is running.
Old 31st October 2006, 17:08   #6
siebe83
Forum King

Please provide more info (read this!). Include a my_plugins_list and HijackThis log.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 21:13   #7
gordol

How can I clear Winamp of its cache of CD info? The last time it crashed was on inserting a CD it's never seen before. I just tried with one it has seen and it didn't crash.

So I want to clear this data. (Also, I have no need, normally, for Winamp to maintain this data.)
Old 1st November 2006, 22:29   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

That suggests a problem with the installation of the gracenote cddb libraries.

You can disable cddb via: prefs > plugins > input > in_cdda > config.

The local cd database is stored in Winamp\Plugins\cdinfo.db3

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea why the problem is occuring (see siebe83's last post above).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006, 19:31   #9
gordol

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
[B]That suggests a problem with the installation of the gracenote cddb libraries.

You can disable cddb via: prefs > plugins > input > in_cdda > config.
I do not want to disable cddb, unless I can replace it with something else that provides the same functionality. Since I use Winamp to rip newly purchased CDs, it's a lot more convenient to have Winamp autofill the track info.
Quote:
The local cd database is stored in Winamp\Plugins\cdinfo.db3
Thank you.

Hmm... I deleted that, started Winamp and popped in a CD. It found the info online. No crash. It also prompted me to select the found info, even though it only found one match. Looks like more testing is needed.
Old 12th November 2006, 01:34   #10
gordol

It's definitely intermittent. It crashed again, in exactly the same way, on inserting a new CD. So I uninstalled Winamp and all plugins listed in Add/Remove Software, deleted the program directory and rebooted. I then reinstalled Winamp, started it, configured the UI and media library, then inserted the same new CD.

It crashed in exactly the same way.

I only installed the included plugins I needed and only the "ML_lite" 3rd party plugin, so the Media Library items will remember their expanded/collapsed state.
Old 12th November 2006, 03:37   #11
jph6t
Major Dude

Does Winamp crash or freeze?

I have a problem with Winamp and reading CDs that could be similar to yours. I haven't had a chance to debug it as of yet. However, it's more a freeze than a crash. If I leave Winamp alone ... it will return to working order after about 45-60 seconds.
jph6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 13:48   #12
gordol

Quote:
Originally posted by jph6t
Does Winamp crash or freeze?
Crash. As in a crash log is generated (see the thread-starter for one of them) and Winamp vanishes from my desktop. It crashes, it does not freeze.
Old 12th November 2006, 16:26   #13
ujay
Forum King

@ jph6t - Sounds like a corrupt database.

Is 'cdinfo.db3' write-protected, try disbling it as suggested by Egg above. Rename the file to 'cdinfo.db3.off'.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 16:50   #14
gordol

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
@ jph6t - Sounds like a corrupt database.
(sigh)

What part of "uninstalled, deleted the directory, rebooted, reinstalled" did you not understand? Also, if you read the thread you'll see that I had previously deleted that file and it made no difference to this problem.

I appreciate the attempt to help, but the answers to these questions have previously been provided upthread.
Old 12th November 2006, 17:04   #15
ujay
Forum King

@ gordol - @ jph6t

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 01:21   #16
gordol

I've done some more tweaking, etc, and discovered that if I disable the settings to make Winamp handle audio CDs and cda files, that it does not crash.

I think the problem may be related to the timing of the notifications.

Whenever a CD is inserted, or an external drive is connected, my Windows goes through a "new device installed" routine, flashing an "installing drivers" dialog.

By unsetting the options in Winamp, this can happen in the background and then I can switch Winamp to use the CD drive and it can go online and retrieve the data without incident.

And for the record, the CD drive is an internal EIDE/ATA drive, not an external.
Old 29th November 2006, 03:01   #17
seanos

'Upgrading Winamp CD database'

This just started happening to me today. Inserted a CD that Winamp hadn't seen before (I think), it started playing, Gracenote found it, the above message appeared and I immediately got a 'Winamp has encountered a problem' crash message offering to tell MS about it.

This continued to happen on starting Winamp without a CD in the drive until I launched it by double-clicking a file.

If I don't acknowledge the crash dialog Winamp continues to play the CD without any trouble BTW.

Winamp\Plugins\cdinfo.db3 does not exist which I suppose is the cause though I don't know where (or why) it went. Seems a little strange that Winamp can't just recreate an empty db for me if it's missing. Is there any way I can do that?

The only plugins I've added since Winamp successfully looked up a CD are Tara 1.0.3b and the Winamp Essentials plugin pack.

Winamp 5.32
XP Pro SP2
Individual user settings

Crash summary:
AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.3.2.1003
ModName: db.w5s
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00020b2d
Attached Files
File Type: zip winampcrashinfo.zip (6.6 KB, 779 views)
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 10:29   #18
ajk

I had the same crashing problem with Winamp 5.32 Pro, whenever a CD was inserted and the "Rip & Burn" window was open, Winamp would first render the window white and crash a short while later. This happened regardless of CDDB and Sonic settings.

I reinstalled Winamp a couple of times (uninstalled and rebooted first) and it was still crashing, but then it occurred to me that I had always selected "Separate settings per user account" when installing 5.32 (never used those with earlier versions). I tried reinstalling once more using "Shared settings" and now it works without crashing.

The OS is Windows XP Home Edition (Finnish version), and my username has "international characters" (0xF6 in the Latin1 character set). I wonder if the "weird" characters could have something to do with the problem?
ajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 11:06   #19
seanos

Well I do have a Latin-1 char in my user name (á - a acute), but that doesn't explain why this just started happening. I've been using this version of Winamp with no problem until this week.
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 01:03   #20
BananaStalker

Thanks ajk!!
Worked like a charm
BananaStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 12:55   #21
Mattias

Thanks for the solution

I have been using Winamp Pro for a while and never experienced this problem until today when I upgraded to 5.34. However the solution mentioned here (using shared settings) solved the problem. Thanks again!
Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 13:08   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm... interesting.

We'll look into this issue, and see if there's something screwy with the separate/multi-user settings for all things cd/cddb related.

Can anyone confirm that they don't have a non-English character in their username (or path to %appdata%\winamp) but the crash still occurs?
Old 28th April 2007, 13:47   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ok, I've reproduced the bug.

I set paths.ini to:

inidir={26}\Winámp

equiv to %appdata%\Winámp

I inserted a cd, went to Rip&Burn view...
CDDB kicks in

and *boom*

Winamp client version: 5.34 build 1278
winamp caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module db.w5s at 001b:00c74d39

Read from location 00000030 caused an access violation.

ie. the crash is in the sqlite database module.

There's no crash if I set paths.ini to just:

inidir={26}\Winamp

(but note that there's no non-English chars in my username or %appdata% path).

But yeah, for now, if you've got any non-english characters in the path to the separate user settings dir, then you're gonna have to switch to shared settings to avoid a crash when using cddb...

Note that you don't need to reinstall.
You can just rename paths.ini (in the Winamp root folder) to eg. paths.ini.off (or just move it out of the Winamp folder to some backup folder somewhere).
You can also copy all the files from the separate settings folder into their respective places in the Winamp install directory (if you don't want to lose settings/database etc).

Hopefully, we'll get the bug fixed for 5.35 (or whatever version comes next).
Basically, I think we'll just get rid of sqlite, heh.

Thanks.
Old 4th May 2007, 09:08   #24
writie

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with Pro (534). I'm on XP Home, DirectX 9.O.

"inidir={26}\Winamp

%appdata% path."

Where do I find these so I can check? I'm actually using pro for pro purposes, so this is highly inconvenient. The tags, for example, are important.
writie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 10:39   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

C:\Program Files\Winamp\paths.ini

inidir={26}\Winamp

Under WinXP and Win2k:

"{26}\Winamp" is equivalent to:

C:\Documents and Settings\(YourUserName)\Application Data\Winamp

%appdata% is what you can type into the Windows Explorer address bar, hit Enter, and it will take you to:
C:\Documents and Settings\(YourUserName)\Application Data

If there's any non-English characters in that path (eg. any of 'Documents and Settings' or '(YourUserName)' or 'Application Data' are not in standard English A-Z chars), then Winamp\ccdb will crash when retrieving cd titles.

The resolution for v5.34 is to disable multi-user support, by either moving paths.ini out of the Winamp folder, or by renaming it to eg. paths.ini.off

This will cause Winamp to use the same shared settings for all users.

If you don't want to lose your settings, then you can copy all the files from the %appdata%\winamp folder into their respective places in the Program Files\Winamp folder (or wherever you installed Winamp to, if not the default dir). Note: Make sure Winamp is closed first.

We fully understand that this resolution is no good if there are actually multiple users using the computer, all with their own personal settings.

Alas, there's not much else you can do, other than to not play CDs in Winamp 5.34, or disable cddb (in prefs > plugins > input > in_cdda > config, uncheck "use cddb"), or wait for 5.35 - which is coming soon - where the bug has been fixed.

After installing 5.35, you'll then be able to go back to separate settings per user (by either checkmarking that option in the Installer Options, or by simply restoring paths.ini), and all of the individual user settings will still be there in their respective %appdata%\winamp folders (ok, it'll mean that you'll lose any settings/data that was saved to the shared settings dir from between today and installing 5.35, which should hopefully only be a matter of a few days anyway - though the copying works both ways, ie. you can also copy files from 'Program Files\Winamp' to '%appdata%\Winamp' at any point after installing 5.34 with separate user settings).

Windows Vista users are screwed, because Vista uses the %appdata% dir to store settings for all programs by default. Therefore you can't switch Winamp to use shared settings, because it will crash instantly if you even attempt to make it save anything to 'Program Files' under Vista.

Sorry.
Old 26th May 2007, 05:42   #26
kwyjibear

I believe I have the same problem. When I updated Winamp, it would crash when trying to retrieve the CDDB information after inserting a cd in the drive (reading music files off of my hard drive is fine).

This happened before (after installing an update) and the only way to fix it was to completely remove Winamp and do a clean install.

However when the problem returned after the most recent update, performing the clean install didn't solve the problem.

And I don't have non-English characters in my folder names.

And I don't have a paths.ini file (although I do have install.ini and Winamp.ini).
kwyjibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 09:07   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

We certainly cannot reproduce any crash under Winamp 5.35

Provide a "List of Plugins" (via my_plugins_list.txt / One For Nunz plugin), a HijackThis log, and details of the crash error message (see above link for info / details).

EDIT: July 2007

We will be removing the SQLite database system for 5.36 (or whatever version comes next), so hopefully this should fix any issues that anyone else is still having.
Old 27th May 2007, 06:25   #28
kwyjibear

Here is a screen shot taken a second before the Windows error reporting window popped up...

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3...captureei0.jpg

Then the error reporting window displayed:
AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.3.5.1305 ModName: winamp.exe
ModVer: 5.3.5.1305 Offset: 00009b3c

This was a clean install with no 3rd party plugins.
Installation Type: Basic (which I guess used to be called Full) with shared user settings, running under Windows XP Pro SP2.

HijackThis and One For Nunz logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hijack_my-plugin.zip (6.4 KB, 772 views)
kwyjibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 12:16   #29
GDSaihttaM

My problem is more related to gordol's; has nothing to do with strange characters, and I installed using the shared settings.
If I insert a CD (autoplay off), start winamp, right-click and select play->audiocd, it connects to the cddb, retrieves the information and crashes.

However, if winamp isn't running, and I just go to "My Computer", select the cd drive, right-click and select play, winamp starts and doesn't crash. (5.35)

This is on a 2-day old win xp pro sp2 installation, so there's definitely nothing wrong with my system
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (4.3 KB, 928 views)
Old 28th July 2007, 17:30   #30
sqrfruit

Crash on Play > Audio CD

I am also having a problem with Winamp crashing when I play an audio CD. I have autoplay off, insert CD, load Winamp, right click Play > Audio CD, Gracenote successfully grabs CD info, and then Winamp crashes. The CD will play until I click "Close" on the crash window. Crash does not occur when I play the CD from Windows Explorer.

I just did a clean install of v5.35, and this is still happening every time. I am running Windows XP SP2, with Winamp using shared user settings. There are no non-English characters in the %appdata% path.

Crash window info:
AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.3.5.1305 ModName: nscrt.dll
ModVer: 7.10.0.0 Offset: 0000afa6

My_Plugin_List.txt attached, Hijackthis log available if necessary.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (3.3 KB, 697 views)
Old 6th April 2008, 11:51   #31
Keith Mund

Has there been a solid fix for this problem? I just installed 5.53 and experienced the crash when attempting to simply play a CD. I uninstalled and reinstalled using all defaults, and it persists. I simply try to play a CD and it reproduces the issue. I have no special characters in my user names.

Are there known conflicts, like IE7, some CD burners, or such?
Keith Mund is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support