Old 2nd June 2000, 19:16   #1
stnkyminky

After I uninstalled the trial DFX enhancer, I am no longer able to output sound from my computer. The error that am rcving has "Nullsoft waveOut plugin v2.02(x86)" in the title portion of the message box. Then the error message says, "MMSYSTEM004 The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free and then try again." I have also notified the DFX people regarding this. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks for your time,

Scott
stnkyminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2000, 01:58   #2
stnkyminky

I have changed the preferrences, reinstalled the latest driver for my sound card and still nothing is playing. Im really confused now.......can anyone help?! I have attempted to access the volume control,in windows98 SE, but when i click on the link nothing happens. BTW winamp was working perfectly fine until now

PLEASE HELP
Scott

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-17-2000 at 09:13 PM]
Old 3rd June 2000, 07:36   #3
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

reboot 10 times. stand on your head and sing the national anthem in latin.. that should solve it...

actually, the problem is that some program/thing is trying to use the sound card when winamp is suppose to be using it. usually rebooting will fix it... you should also switch to using direct sound, if your cpu is fast enough (i had trouble with it on a p75.. so i figure use atleast a p100)..

Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2000, 07:57   #4
stnkyminky

Ive switched to direct sound which causes another error. "Unable to create direct sound object". I've followed those steps and still nothing. I appreciate your help though. Have a good weekend.

Scott

------------------
Old 4th June 2000, 00:03   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sounds similar to a problem I encountered a couple of years back. I've never bothered with any shareware, trial software or demos since. You never can tell which, but it would seem that some programmers have a spiteful edge and resent people uninstalling their software instead of purchasing or registering it. What you've got here is a corruption in the registry and the only solution may be to re-install Windows again. Don't worry about losing any updates you may have installed, just choose "Yes to all" when presented with the "A file being copied is older than the one already on your computer. Do you want to keep the existing file?" dialog box. It's either this or a lengthy session with RegEdit [not recommended unless you're WELL experienced].
If not, then you should definitely [re]install the latest drivers for your soundcard.
Regarding the Direct Sound issue, you may also need to [re]install the latest DirectX [v7], though surely v6.* is included with Win98 ??? Have you tried the DirectX Diagnostic Tool [C:\Windows\System\DXDIAG.EXE] or the Microsoft System Info Tool [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\MSINFO32.EXE] to check for problems, or even the Windows Help -> Troubleshooting Tool ?
Also try the Multimedia Control Panel -> Advanced section, and under Audio Devices click on "Properties" to see if the listed devices are properly configured & enabled. You can do this also with the System Control Panel under "Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers" to see if there's any IRQ or Hardware conflicts.
"Okay" everything and try a Reboot [or three].
It also sounds to me like you've got an open audio program running in the background and it's not allowing any other programs access to your soundcard. Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete [all at the same time] to see a list of everything that is currently running. If the list contains something you know that shouldn't be there, then hi-lite it and click on "End Task". Also, check your StartUp Folder for any erroneous entries and delete the guilty shortcuts.
I hope this helps, though I wish I could actually see your computer to get the full picture. If none of the above work, then you've got a pretty serious problem, but don't hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance. Like me, I hope you've learned your lesson . . . don't install any shabby shareware, just stick to trusty freeware and full programs contained on CD-Roms that you've purchased [Though the occasional Radium Crack never goes amiss . . . oops].
Peace -> DJ-Egg.

[edit]
Hmmm . . . v2.62 . . . wasn't that the one with the "DSP/FX not working" bug.
Try : Prefs -> DSP/FX : select "None"
Also : Prefs -> Plugins : click "flush plug-in name cache" button
However, later versions of Winamp fixed this problem.
Try uninstalling Winamp & downloading the latest version.
Whatever the case, the DFX plugin is certifiably evil.
[/edit]

------------------
DJ - Egg

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-17-2000 at 09:06 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2000, 01:04   #6
stnkyminky

I think that im just going to reinstall windows. Like you said its obvious something major is wrong here. I can't even open up the volume control on my comp. I appreciate the help though. The weird thing that winamp worked fine w/the enhancer but when i UPGRADED?!?! to winamp 2.62 the trouble really began. I've used winamp a long time and I haven't had any problems till now. After reading the boards it seems like Im not the only one. Again, thanks for the time and the help.

Scott

------------------
Old 15th August 2000, 18:58   #7
Adrenalynn

Send a message via ICQ to Adrenalynn
Check your sound-codecs if they are all turned on.
Config. Screen -> multimedia -> Sound Codecs
Put them all on and restart, problem should be solved

[edit]

Inserted by DJ-Egg

I think he means:
MultiMedia Control Panel -> Devices tab -> Audio Codecs
Hi-lite each individual entry in turn -> Properties -> Checkmark "Use this codec"

nb. The "Devices" tab (Win98/ME/2k/XP) is the "Advanced" tab in Win95

[/edit]

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-17-2000 at 09:11 PM]
Adrenalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2000, 04:07   #8
iggybebad

HEY I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS U, I JUST FIXED IT, DO THE THING WIT CTRL+ALT+DELETE, THEN END TASK ON EVERY PROGRAM EXCEPT EXPLORER AND THEN END TASK TO EXPLORER, THE COMP WILL SHUT DOWN, COUNT TO TEN THEN RE-BOOT, U SAID U DOWNLOADED THEN NEW VERSION OR I THOUGHT U SAID THAT, BUT IF U GOT THE NEW WINAMP U WILL SEE IF U HIT CTRL+ALT+DELETE THAT THE OLD VERSION OF WINAMP IS STILL RUNNING, BUT CLOSE EVERYTHING AND REBOTT AND EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK I JUST FIXED MY PROB
Old 13th October 2001, 17:25   #9
k_function

same problem w/ everyone else, but it had once work very well until i don't know what i did and the MMSYSTEM004 pops up
tired everything!!1
direct sound, reinstalling winamp, driver, directx, the codec thing, restarting many times, use ALT+CTRL+DEL to stop all other things and try to run it, even changing the bios said in one of the post.
and no, i am not running other sound program.
well, i haven't try re-installing windows but my com is new and the only shareware on it is demo for pc-cillin, but i don't that's the probs since it had been working fine for a while after i installed it.

the sound card is AC97 from VIA and i am using windows 98

also, actually is not just winamp, my icq and windows media player lost the sound as well
however, the strange thing is that i am able to run CD on the com and it is working fine

PLZ HELP ME!!!
k_function is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2001, 17:57   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

1) Goto: Add/Remove Programs Control Panel -> Windows Setup tab
2) Hi-lite "Multimedia Components" -> click "Details" button
3) Uncheck everything -> okay
4) Click okay & Reboot

5) Repeat 1-2
6) Checkmark everything -> okay
7) Repeat 4

Still no joy?

8) Reinstall latest soundchip drivers
9) Reinstall DirectX
10) Check all the codecs are enabled (as explained above)
Old 14th October 2001, 07:38   #11
k_function

thx, but is there any other way?
coz i still have no joy
k_function is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2001, 10:47   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, something somewhere is using the soundchip's waveout driver.
Audio CD's use a totally different device.

The shabby onboard/integrated AC'97 soundchip is undoubtedly to blame.
You really should consider getting a proper soundcard.
Check out these threads for more info:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=46306
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=60907
And then try again to look for the correct latest drivers.

Again, close anything which might be using the soundchip (eg. icq, etc).
Use Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and then goto:
start -> run -> msconfig -> startup tab
Uncheck anything in here which could permanently be using the soundchip, to prevent it from always loading at bootup.
Okay everything + reboot

Also look in the Multimedia Control Panel.
Make sure the correct device is selected for playback.
Make sure "use preferred devices only" is NOT checkmarked.

Also check Windows Volume Control.
Make sure everything is selected (in Options -> Properties -> Playback) and that all the sliders are up high enough and nothing is muted.

You can also try a few things in Winamp itself.
Prefs -> Output -> DirectSound -> config
Change the output device (c/o drop down menu).
If it's set to Primary Sound Driver, change it to AC'97, and vice-versa.

You can also try the same with the waveOut plugin, though it really should work with DirectSound. Have you checked the DirectX Diagnostic Tool yet?
start -> run -> dxdiag
Check all the tabs for any reported errors.
Run the various tests in the audio/media/music tabs.
Any problems and it means you need to reinstall DirectX.

I really can't think of much else that hasn't already been referred to above or in: TSGH -> Useful Links -> "MMSYSTEM004 Error" section.

Good luck!
Old 31st March 2002, 22:14   #13
erickson

MSSYSTEMERROR004

THANKS
DJEGG
Using the xdirect.exe trouble shooter helped in finding out problem
Reinstalled ms driver form directx and now it works.

Only problem is now when someone sends me a winamp song and I play it, it deletes my palt list on iwnamp.

thanks
erickson
erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2002, 00:13   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Glad to hear you sorted it out

For your other problem:
Goto: Winamp -> Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Filetypes
Checkmark: Enqueue as default action

This will add new songs to the end of the current playlist
instead of deleting the list.

Here's a few extra tips for building a playlist:

Use the "Add -> Dir" or "Add -> File" button in the playlist window (bottom left corner) to add songs to your playlist.
Save your playlist/s regularly (for backup purposes) by using the List -> Save button (bottom right corner).
Old 21st May 2004, 22:10   #15
pspat42

MMSYSTEN004 Error

I don't know if this will help, but i ran into this very problem after i installed a new soft modem
i looked in all the usual, and wrong places to try to fix this, only to figure out that is was merely that the modem wave program had the sound card tied up(mixer)
all i had to do was go into start programs and disable the CARPS file, and the problem was gone
although i didnt have sound for the dialup after that, i did have all the rest of my sounds back, including communicator audio etc
hope you can resolve your problem, good luck
p
pspat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support