Old 29th October 2006, 23:16   #1
xannor

Winamp DAAP Client alpha

I have finally got an initial public release for my DAAP client plugin ready. IF you have any problems with it you can either reply to this thread or submit a bug on the sourceforge page.

Download

The Readme:
Quote:
Really Simple readme:
Homepage http://www.sf.net/projects/mldaap
Copyright 2006 Xannor Archouse

This software is extremely alpha, it works on my computer but I cannot predict how it could destroy yours so use with extreme caution.
Also note, I suck a documentation.

Installation:
First you must have a recent version of Apple's Bonjour client for windows installed. I plan on removing this dependancy in the future but it is not a priority right now.
http://www.apple.com/bonjour

You must also have a verison of winamp (5.24+) that supports the media library.

I dont have an installer built yet so to install you must copy the ml_daap.dll into your winamp/plugins folder.

viola, you should be able to use the plugin.

Usage:
In its most basic setup the plugin will browse for available DAAP servers (it skips Itunes for now since I do not have the proper protocol information to authenticate to them.)
A Network Media groups should appear, and within a minute or to the local DAAP servers should also appear by name and playlists. All songs are treated as HTTP streams, and will have the IP of the host in them instead of their .local domain name, this is to work around issues with limited internet connectivity and the DNS resolution of winamp.

Advanced USage:
For more experimentive users, there is currently a network mapping support system built into the client. This was developed to allow remotely shared songs (that are accessable via network shares) to be mapped fro mtheir web streams to the network paths. This is so other plugins (i.e. ml_ipod, or the pmp plugins) can see the files as "local" files instead of web streams. Currently to use this you can define serveral network maps in the preferences, and then you can Send a playlist to "Map To:" to map the playlist files into another playlist. Make sure you are connected to all servers that have streams in your playlist or they wil lbe passed through as is.

To build a map I have a variant of winamps title macro system in place (all title functions are supported via winamp)

I have define the following tags to use in maps:

%cmp(tag, host)% -- This is a simple compare function, you give it a tag and a value, if they match the value is passed through if not nothing is passed through, this allows the $if( function to work logically with tags.
%sf(tag)% -- This tage converts the contents of the tag to a windows filename safe format (replacing invalid filename characters with _)

%artist% -- song artist
%comp%
%composer% -- song composer/band or artist if song does not have a composer (usefull for compilations and filenames)
%title% -- song title
%album% -- song album
%comment% -- song comment
%genre% -- song genre
%ext% -- song file extention
%group%
%grouping% -- song group or orchestra (I use it to represent the names of discs in multi disc albums)
%host% -- song host server name (in bonjour .local format)
%filename% -- song filename (if it has been mapped) or url
%track% -- song track number
%tracks% -- song tracks (if known and for when song is part of an album)
%disc% -- song disc # (I plan on using this to append Vol. # info to songs that have a disc set but no grouping)
%discs% -- song discs (if known, same use as disc above)
%year% -- song publish year
%compilation% -- plag to determine if song is part of a compilation (usefull in mmaps to deal with compilation folders)

The browser is very simple at this time, with limited search and sort functionality. You should however be able to search and play songs and build playlists

Limitations:
Downloading is currently disabled until I can finish it. It is broken so please do not try to enable it.

Itunes shares are not supported due to *PAA paranioa. If anybody can provide some stable C code to connect properly I will be more than happy to implement it.

The client does not handle changes in server IPs. If a server's IP address changes your playlists will be invalid, Until I have a way to wrap/build my own winamp protocol, I cannot work around this.
xannor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 22:36   #2
jtbse

Send a message via AIM to jtbse Send a message via Yahoo to jtbse
xannor this is so sweet!!

I'm listening to music from Firefly as I type! It's working like a champ for .mp3's and .m4a's.

Doesn't seem to work for FLAC's that Firefly transcodes to .wav as of yet. Any plans for that?

I don't think I'm likely to use the network mapping functionality. I've grown accustomed to working with individual files at their source.

I'll really look forward to seeing how you progress on this project. I know you've got lots on your plate just trying to get iTunes working (good luck with that!), but I'm hoping that eventually you plan to more fully integrate with the Media Library (Album/Artist view would be really nice, and ability to add columns like track number to the display for sorting and such)

But for an alpha...it's just fantastic the way it is!

Thanks for the contribution!!!
jtbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:49   #3
xannor

Quote:
Originally posted by jtbse
xannor this is so sweet!!

I'm listening to music from Firefly as I type! It's working like a champ for .mp3's and .m4a's.

Thanks, I released it becase I was one of the people who wanted something like this for a while, I just happened to know enough C to pull it off.

Quote:
Doesn't seem to work for FLAC's that Firefly transcodes to .wav as of yet. Any plans for that?
Do you get a particular error, or is it that the player does not work? Also do you know if the plugin you use to handle WAV files supports streaming? My DAAP client just provides URLs by default so it is really up to winamp to handle them.

if you copy one of your transcoded songs to a playlist you can right click on it and get the stream info. If you give me the URL I should be able to convert it to a query to see what information firefly is sending. I cannot really test with FLAC because I test on an NSLU2 and it is not really powerfull enough to transcode files.

Quote:

I don't think I'm likely to use the network mapping functionality. I've grown accustomed to working with individual files at their source.

I'll really look forward to seeing how you progress on this project. I know you've got lots on your plate just trying to get iTunes working (good luck with that!), but I'm hoping that eventually you plan to more fully integrate with the Media Library (Album/Artist view would be really nice, and ability to add columns like track number to the display for sorting and such)

But for an alpha...it's just fantastic the way it is!

Thanks for the contribution!!!
The network mapping is mostly so the plugin can work in tandem with ml_ipod and other plugins that need a filesource (client transcoding for instance.)

I am glad you appreciate it and I will be working on the iTunes portion probably at the beginning of the year. Currently I tasked myself with helping the Transcoding support in ml_ipod so I will be working on that for a while.
Old 25th November 2006, 16:19   #4
osmosis
Major Dude

awesome awesome awesome.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 04:18   #5
PatrickNeil

YES! Good! This is progress! I really appreciate the effort you've put in on my #1 concern for the future of Winamp. Has there been any progress? I took year of programming because of my interest in this issue, but that really didn't get me all that far. As far as code goes, these are the people to get it from for iTunes, but I'm sure you have that. It sucks that many daap programs are written in java. I don't know if Tunes Browser works with iTunes 7, but that's what I had fooled around with once upon a time.

Good luck, I would really love being able to share with iTunes in the future.

Patrick

Last edited by PatrickNeil; 3rd December 2006 at 04:43.
PatrickNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 04:34   #6
PatrickNeil

By the way, if there's anyway I can help, what with bug testing, I would love to.

Patrick
PatrickNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 20:50   #7
osmosis
Major Dude

bump. i love this idea.

Old 3rd February 2007, 21:51   #8
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Are you planning on checking in source to sourceforge anytime soon?
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 18:45   #9
xannor

SF CVS release

I have released my code to the SF CVS and under GPL2. I am looking for any developers who wish to decipher my code and bring it up to speed. If so just PM me with your SF info and I will see about adding you to the developers list.

I used Dev-C++ to build the project, though it probably wouldn't be to hard to use MS-C++ either.
Old 7th April 2007, 20:09   #10
conreyt

Re: SF CVS release

Quote:
Originally posted by xannor
I have released my code to the SF CVS and under GPL2. I am looking for any developers who wish to decipher my code and bring it up to speed. If so just PM me with your SF info and I will see about adding you to the developers list.

I used Dev-C++ to build the project, though it probably wouldn't be to hard to use MS-C++ either.
I couldn't help with the code, but I could help clean up that sourceforge page, and add some graphics/documentation. I'm really enjoying my .ogg collection from firefly.

-Theron
conreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:31   #11
rascalli

going to give it a try , let's see if I now can make playlists in winamp
rascalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 01:26   #12
raintheory

I just registered with the site so I could say:

THANK YOU!!!

This works beautifully! I'm streaming DAAP from downstairs (firefly media server), and have been stuck using iTunes on my desktop(s) upstairs. Unfortunately the latest update to iTunes isn't compatible with Win2000 anymore so rather than find an older version (they're all frustrating to use on a PIII with only 256MB RAM as it is!), I began looking for alternatives.

I had searched previously for alternatives but hadn't found any that worked and gave in to iTunes... Until now!

It's a bit slow to start when I select Network, but works great after that. A small price to pay to be able to break away from iTunes' grip.

Thanks again!
raintheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 19:17   #13
r2xj

Is there a way to add a specific server by IP address? I'm trying to access my itunes library over the internet.
r2xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 20:01   #14
osmosis
Major Dude

r2jx: As far as i know iTunes isn't compatible with the DAAP client yet. Does anyone know if work is still ongoing?

Old 13th January 2008, 06:07   #15
rascalli

I installed this.

Network share is seen .. but that is all .. when I add a file to the playlist ... it starts & ends playback right away

any idea's ??
rascalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 21:14   #16
cchkb

Problem I had

About half of my playlists load up fine and half sit at "loading song information... please wait... %02d"

Updating firefly to 1.0.0.1586 and bonjour 1.0.4.12 on my media PC and bonjour to 1.0.4.12 on the client PC fixed it. They were at firefly 1.0.0.1359 and bonjour 1.0.3.1 when the problem occurred. Hope this is helpful if someone else is stuck on the same problem.

On a side note this is exactly what I have been searching for. I can have all the features of a full media player without the bloat of itunes or having extra copies of my music on multiple PCs. Excellent job. Thanks Xannor
cchkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 06:18   #17
osmosis
Major Dude

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdmapsharing

the plot thickens.

could be a good jumping point.

Old 19th March 2009, 22:46   #18
osmosis
Major Dude

Any year now... *hopes*

Old 25th September 2010, 21:38   #19
osmosis
Major Dude

*tumbleweed*
Old 25th April 2011, 00:40   #20
osmosis
Major Dude

Looks like someone on SF made an update (about a year ago)!:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...67&atid=889673

Go Back   Winamp Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development