Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 1st November 2006, 23:11   #1
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Microsoft ActiveSync (Win CE/Windows mobile) device plugin

Hey,

I've been working on a device plugin for devices that use activesync (like my cellphone), and as I don't know many people with these devices, I thought I'd throw it open to you guys.

Be warned, this is very much beta software, not for the weak.

The playlist format used is ASX, this will become configurable soon, hopefully.

[edit: download link removed. Now built into Winamp 5.32 and above.]

If you have any comments or bug reports please tell me what version of ActiveSync you have, and what version of Windows CE your device is running.

Have fun!

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:51   #2
will

Updated to version 0.11.

Now detects if you're using a storage card or not, and a few other fixes and stuff.

Anybody actually using this?

Old 4th November 2006, 13:21   #3
dorways

Quote:
Originally posted by will
... Anybody actually using this?
Well I tried it a little as far as I could, but since my mobile phone's OS is french, the storage card folder is rather "\Carte de stockage\" than "\Storage Card\".

Nevertheless, it seems to be working ok when I create the folders myself in the phone's main memory (therefore, no access to the real storage card of course).

Transcoding/Transfering seems to be runing ok, as well as streaming directly from the phone.

I didn't play much with playlists yet, I'm looking forward to being able to test it more deeply when my storage card will actually be accessible from the plugin (my poor main memory is completely full).

Oh by the way, I tried it on a HTC TyTN (WM5 phone) and
thanks for that promising plugin...
dorways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 21:36   #4
will

Updated to version 0.12.

* [new] Video support
* [new] "Advanced" configuration, lets you specify the folders that music, videos and playlists get stored in.
* [fixed] Ejected devices re-appearing

I think this is pretty much feature complete now (with the exception of specifying the playlist format, but that's not really possible yet), any bugs please post in this thread.

Old 7th November 2006, 20:43   #5
will

Updated to version 0.13
* [fixed] error message when msvcp71.dll is not present

Old 11th November 2006, 22:04   #6
marianosc

Bout to try it, been wanting something like this fore AGES, even started tinker with C++ to write one myself.

Will let you know.
marianosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 05:59   #7
marianosc

Ok, tried it, great start, still a few strange things:

If you unplug the device from the USB port whilst it is connected, Winamp crashes.

By default it did not detect the memory card, I had to manually go in and set the folders to \Memory Card\My Music, etc

Not sure if this is the protables plugin or the Active Sync plugin, but when you click on the "Potables" it shows Capacity Free in GiB, and MiB ... what is with the "i"???

Specs:
------
Windows XP SP2
Winamp 5.3
O2 Atom (Windows Mobile 5)
Active Sync 4.5 Beta2

Will play with it more and let you know. But thanks again man ..awesome, it was the final thing Winamp was missing for me.
Old 12th November 2006, 08:44   #8
will

1) Ooh, good catch. I'll post a fix soon.

2) Yep, this is known. I've just thought of a cunning way to fix, and I'll update with the fix soon.

3) 1 MiB = 1024KB, 1MB = 1000KB. There are lots of places where (mistakenly) MB is used in place of MiB. See wikipedia.

Old 12th November 2006, 09:25   #9
will

Updated to version 0.14
* [improved] Detection of memory card
* [fixed] Crashes on device removal, track removal, playlist removal

Old 12th November 2006, 19:46   #10
marianosc

Wow, thanks for the quick update.

A couple more odd things:

1) When you have the Media Library open and you double click on a song it adds all of the songs to the playlist instead of the one you just clicked.

2) Double clicking also doesn't seem to follow the default action of the media library which in my case is to enqueue the song

3) More often than not when playing songs from the Windows Mobile Device it times outs.

4) When "Send(ing) to:" a song to the device it renames the file, originally called "Red Hot Chili Peppers - 06 - Californication.mp3" ends up on the device as "06 - Californication.mp3"

5) Whilst it is great that it creates directories, artist & album (not sure if this is from the Tags or original file structure). Would it be possible to have this as a configurable option? Send To: would just send all the files "Music Folder" (or video) without creating directories.

Have yet to try video, will give that a go shortly.

Once again, thanks for this great plugin.

Mariano.
Old 12th November 2006, 19:51   #11
marianosc

Oh, meant to comment on the MiB; I have been around the IT/Computer/Telco traps for a very long time and you are the first to point it out to me. A Meg has always been 1024 for me, not 1000. Interesting read. Thanks.
Old 12th November 2006, 20:06   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Re: 3 & 4

Assuming it's the same as the other pmp plugins, go to:

Winamp > Prefs > Portables > (Device) > Advanced tab

and setup the filename format to taste.

At a guess, the default is: <Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 20:33   #13
will

Sorry egg, that only works for pmp_usb.

Old 12th November 2006, 21:56   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Fair enough. I did say "at a guess", and I guessed wrong, heh.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 19:33   #15
whytwolf69

Looks like a nice plug-in, but here are some issues I had:

When I click "Rescan Folders" Winamp crashes.
When I try to sync the playlist to my device Winamp crashes.

The files I am trying to sync are 74-100MB (podcasts), and the device I am trying to sync with is a Cingular 3125 (HTC Star Trek) with WM5 for smartphones and a 1GB mem card.

I'd also like to be able to sync via Bluetooth, but that's probably another plug-in.

WW
--------
Win XP SP2
Winamp 5.3
Cingular 3125 (Windows Mobile 5)
Activesync 4.2
whytwolf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 23:07   #16
whytwolf69

Update:

Well, it seems the problem with Winamp crashing had to do with some existing mp3's on the card. Winamp was saying they weren't in the local media library, even though they were, just not in the \My Music\Artist\Album\Track.mp3 format. It didn't matter whether I chose to leave them, copy them, or delete them Winamp would crash. After deleting them from the card manually, through explorer, everything seems to work ok. I did have to unplug/replug the device and restart Winamp for the changes to be reflected in Media Library, though.

I also noticed that the capacity free isn't updating, the percentage is but not the actual capacity. It started syncing with 968 MiB (99%) and finished with 968 MiB (51%).

Syncing my music just got a whole lot easier!! Thanks for the awesome plug-in.

WW
whytwolf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 18:20   #17
psycik

Yay a plugin for my WM5 machine!!

Downloaded and having a play, looks nice and haven't found any problems.

One request, is it possible to make the autofill randomise a bit more?? I have the "autofill albums only" turned off, but still it seems to grab lots by one artist, rather than just completely choosing tracks at random.

If I can get away from WMP for syncing my K-Jam I'd be REALLY happy!!!

Cheers
psycik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 01:45   #18
nauht

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest Winamp 5.32 and I'm happy to find that there's support for my iPAQ RX1955 running WM5. One problem though: it seems the transcoder isn't working on my machine. Whenever I transfer an MP3 that needs to be transcoded b/c it has a high bitrate, Winamp gives an error saying "can't open encoder". Before I was using my iRiver MP3 player with the USB plugin and it was working fine. Any ideas? Also, I'm NOT using the PRO version.

Thanks.
nauht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 10:27   #19
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

I believe if you try to encode to mp3, you need the pro version of winamp... not positive on that one though.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 05:06   #20
nauht

That's too bad... transcoding to MP3 did work in the previous non PRO Winamp version though.
nauht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 09:28   #21
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

well, i'm not sure. I guess will could tell you if that was the case or not.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 11:45   #22
will

Transcoding to mp3 never worked in the non-pro version. It was probably transcoding to the next best (or preferable according to the settings) format, which would be WMA.

Old 6th December 2006, 14:35   #23
Antono

A big THANK YOU for this plugin, I've been wishing for it for ages (sadly, I can't code to do it myself).

On my system however (specs below) the plugin doesn't recognize my SD card and tries to sync the audio files in the main memory (too small and too valuable).
Specifying a path in the plugin's "Advanced" tab didn't change anything. I've tried "\SD Card\..." paths since that's the way by PPC identifies my SD. I've also tried some other paths with occasionaly catastrophic results (i.e. Winamp crashing whenever PDA connected to PC without giving me a chance to change the path back to something acceptable, had to uninstall plugin and reinstall Winamp)

Specs:

Windows XP SP2
Winamp 5.32
ActiveSync 4.2.0
Dell Axim X50v, Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Edition
SanDisk Ultra 1GB Secure Digital
Antono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 22:36   #24
flocke487

Playlist

Hello,

yesterday I downloaded Winamp 5.3 and I was really suprised about the Active Sync Plugin. Some times ago I was searching for a plugin like this but I hadn't found something. So I used the WMP instead.

So I think this one is a really great plugin.

But I have a problem with the playlists.

In the options you can say a path for the playlists on your phone. So I did and then I created a playlist with the media library and said, that it shoulf be synced with my device and so it did but I haven't got any playlist at my mobile device.

So what is the problem? What can I do now?
I was so happy that I must no longer creat my playlists by hand in the pocket pc, but now...

So thanks you helping me

Bye

Florian
flocke487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2006, 02:32   #25
logicisme

Send a message via AIM to logicisme
Quote:
Originally posted by Antono
A big THANK YOU for this plugin, I've been wishing for it for ages (sadly, I can't code to do it myself).

On my system however (specs below) the plugin doesn't recognize my SD card and tries to sync the audio files in the main memory (too small and too valuable).
Specifying a path in the plugin's "Advanced" tab didn't change anything. I've tried "\SD Card\..." paths since that's the way by PPC identifies my SD. I've also tried some other paths with occasionaly catastrophic results (i.e. Winamp crashing whenever PDA connected to PC without giving me a chance to change the path back to something acceptable, had to uninstall plugin and reinstall Winamp)

Specs:

Windows XP SP2
Winamp 5.32
ActiveSync 4.2.0
Dell Axim X50v, Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Edition
SanDisk Ultra 1GB Secure Digital

Antono, I suffer from similar woes. I have an Audiovox SMT5600 (cingular phone WM2003) and YEAY it actually syncs, I had to change path in the settings to use \Storage Card\My Music, however Winamp seems to toggle between the card and the built in memory.

Here's whats wrong: when I open winamp it shows internal memory in the Portables currently connected list, if I plug / unplug device when winamp is loaded it shows the 2gb sd card under Currently connected. With the software still open if I click "rescan folders" under the plugin properties it will then show the internal memory..

When it shows my 2gb card in the Portables currently connected list it won't sync, it says "Cannot open file on device" in the transfer queue results for each attempted song. Ok here's what's really wierd, when it shows internal memory it does sync, and to the folder I specified too, but it shows total available space for the internal memory and not the sd card. Any suggestions, cause honestly windows media player 11 doesn't support musicnow any more and I really don't like MS crummy apps anyway. I am just about ready to cancel everything and buy an ipod. So any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Warren
logicisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 14:14   #26
neyman

Winamp crashes instantly when my device is connected to my computer with ActiveSync 4.2.

I renamed my "Storage Card" location from "Speicherkarte" so the plugin recognized the new size but instantly crashed. I'm using Win XP Pro x64, may that's the reason why it doesn't work.

Any ideas how to get it working?
neyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 19:49   #27
Antono

Quote:
Originally posted by neyman
Winamp crashes instantly when my device is connected to my computer with ActiveSync 4.2.

I renamed my "Storage Card" location from "Speicherkarte" so the plugin recognized the new size but instantly crashed. I'm using Win XP Pro x64, may that's the reason why it doesn't work.

Any ideas how to get it working?
Try this:

Select "Show hidden and system files" in File Explorer settings. Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\Winamp\Plugins\ml and delete the file ml_pmp_device_Pocket_PC.ini .

This will most likely reset the configuration you made and revert to the original settings.
Antono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 15:01   #28
neyman

Hi Antono,

thanks for your reply. When I delete the *.ini that saves the configuration for my Pocket PC, Winamp detects my device again with the default settings.
To access my Storage Card ('\Speicherkarte') I change the entry in
Options > Preferences > Portables > 'Device' > Advanced
from '\Music' to '\Speicherkarte\Music'. This will cause Winamp to crash.

How to solve this problem?
Any help is appreciated
neyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 22:38   #29
danielrouse

Lockups and Difficulty getting pmp_activesync to point to my storage card

Hello!

I've been messing around with pmp_activesync that comes in Winamp 5.33 and had little luck with it. I'm trying to get it to sync with my Dell Axim X30, with a 1gb SD card. I've been able to set it up to point to '\Storage Card\Music' and it will see the files that I already have in there, but it still reports that my storage capacity is around 30MB (either that or it reports storage to be 1.98GB, which is also wrong). Attempting to send files to the device (when pmp_activesync is pointing to my SD card) results in Winamp freezing up. Anybody solve this issue yet? Looks like a great way to keep new tunes on my Axim!
danielrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 02:59   #30
frnzy

I orignally posted this in the PMP thread, however this thread seems more relevent:

Device: iPaq 2215 Pocket PC
Firmware: 1.10
Winamp Version: 5.32

I updated Activesync to the newest version so that I could try out pmp_activesync. As it is, my problem is that Winamp doesn't see my 1gig SD card's storage space. I can tell it to send files there, and it does, but it stops when it believes that the device is full. (Very quickly, as it only has 64 megs of internal space.)

Obviously, the internal space does not change as files are sent across, but Winamp doesn't even try to send more than a couple files at once because it insists the device won't hold it.
frnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 05:40   #31
son_gokou316

OK, managed to install ActiveSync 4.5 and latest version of Winamp w/ the plugin. It managed to get the stuff off of my Cingular Audiovox SMT5600's 1GB memory card, however, every time I try to play a track, it says "Connecting" and eventually says "Timed Out." Am I doing something wrong?
son_gokou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 12:05   #32
JohnnyEnglish12

hey, big thanks for that great plug-in. makes life much easier
but are there any news on the filename-issue?
Quote:
Originally posted by marianosc
5) Whilst it is great that it creates directories, artist & album (not sure if this is from the Tags or original file structure). Would it be possible to have this as a configurable option? Send To: would just send all the files "Music Folder" (or video) without creating directories.
i prefer "\Artist - Album Title\Songname.mp3", so a configurable file structure would be great.

great work!
johnny
JohnnyEnglish12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 22:10   #33
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
THANKS for plugin Will. Using Dell Axim X51v running WM5.

can i request:
1. % finished represents the queue, not just one file.
2. An easier way to sync with current playlist. I'm happy with my current method of ctrl+A>send to ... but it'd be nice. (it could perhaps automatically create a playlist file as well).
3. Ability to change view from Artist/Album filter, to just Simple view, or perhaps to the other filters supported in ml_local.
4. Anyway to import/export ratings from WMP mobile?
5. Ability to decide naming convention.

Errors:
1. more of a request to somehow remember which tracks already existed in the library. Currently, syncing would effectively create duplicates.
2. I'm not getting my playlist saved to my device. I create it, and its visible in WA, but if i remove device or click refresh folder under your preferences, playlist is removed.
3. Removing file from device via plugin will delete the file, however its parent folders are not deleted.

I think i mentioned everything on my list. Great work will.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 01:25   #34
nkapur

Playlists dont sync

I am using 5.33 (plugin ver 0.15) and I cant get playlists to sync. The songs get transferred just fine. After syncing Winamp shows that the portable has the playlist but there are no playlist files on the device.

I am using HP HW6925 (WM5)
Activesync 4.5.0
nkapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 16:04   #35
Ned Decca

hopefully geetting a palm Vx pretty soon so ill be trying this plug in when i can cause i need winamp on there

That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. Fail. - Mr Jones
Ned Decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 07:11   #36
archie400

Looking for any update to whether storage cards are being properly recognised with Activesync 4.2 and the current Winamp 5.35. and the activesync plug-in V0.16.

I can get my internal memory recognised and have changed the options so that the default directories point to the Storage Card but, if I disconnect and reconnect my O2 XDA SOMETIMES I get a different but inaccurate sizing and a "free percentage that shows 3 million plus percent).

Any advice on how to get the card properly recognised and allow more than just a couple of tracks downloaded?

Thanks in advance.
archie400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 07:35   #37
hafkensite

Winamp 5.5
Plugin 0.18
ActiveSync 4.5.0
Device DELL Axim x30
OS Windows mobile 2003 Second Edition

Winamp looks at the free-space on the device, instead of the space in the folder I specified. It keeps displaying 21MB(20%).
hafkensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 14:41   #38
apih

Hi! I have a trouble, when I try to use AutoFill function.

My rules configured to upload to phone music files only. I prefere to upload video files manually. When I pressed the "AutoFill" button, plugin suggests me to DELETE video files from phone too! But I dont expect to do this action!

Will, can you improve plugin by adding some more filters to deleting files from mobile device?
apih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 11:47   #39
skeeta

Did the issue with the memory card ever get sorted out in the end?
I've just re-installed Winamp and tried to use it with my SPV M2000 and it's still doing it for me. I can only see the internal memory of the phone even when I tell Winamp about the card in settings. I thought, seeing as this thread is a year old, there may be a solution now

Last edited by skeeta; 18th December 2008 at 14:39.
skeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 17:57   #40
hafkensite

Quote:
Originally posted by skeeta
Did the issue with the memory card ever get sorted out in the end?
Last time I checked, the same old version is packaged with Winamp. So sadly, nothing changed. I use a cheap card reader now.
hafkensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion