Old 2nd June 2000, 04:44   #1
Weyrleader

I am having a problem with my playlist in
Winamp 2.62. I am able to get all my tracks
into the playlist and then save the playlist
but for some strange reason every couple of
weeks the list disappears and I have to do
it again. Is this possible? My family says
they don't touch Winamp but I have my doubts.
Thanks for any help.
Weyrleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2000, 02:24   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Where are you saving your playlist ? If you are saving it to the default "WINAMP.M3U" in the Winamp Program Files folder, please note that this is an auto file that changes itself every time you open or stream a new track/s. The easy solution is to first load all the tracks that you want in your playlist into Winamp and then click on the "Load List / "Open" Button in the bottom right-hand corner of the Playlist Editor; select "Save List" [the bottom of the two choices; the top one is "New List", so don't click on that one just yet] and save your playlist with a name like "default.m3u". You can place it in the Winamp Folder or anywhere on your HardDrive, [eg. Default MP3 Folder]. It's also very wise to repeat the save action, but this time, change the "Save As Filetype" to PLS and save your playlist with a name like "Default.pls"; You can then open this file with Notepad at any time and edit it to your heart's content. Remember to change the "Number Of Entries=xxx" at the top accordingly [sometimes, this line appears at the bottom of the list, but it doesn't matter which], and make sure each entry is on a seperate line and numbered correctly, eg:

[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=40
File1=C:\My Music\MP3\title1.mp3
File2=C:\My Music\MP3\title2.mp3
File3=C:\Program Files\Modplug\title3.mod
File4....................................
File39=C:\My Documents\Real\title39.ram
File40=C:\Whatever\Wherever\title40.wma

Next time your playlist "disappears", just open the Winamp File Menu and select "Play -> File" and simply open your personally saved M3U or PLS playlist.
You can even create your own PLS playlist from scratch with Notepad by using the example method above. When completed, be sure to save the file with the PLS extension [eg: default.pls] by selecting "Save As Filetype -> All Files", otherwise Notepad saves it as a text file [*.txt] by default.
Yes, it really is as simple as that !

Other options / parameters:

1} In between each individual "File-Number" entry, [also on a seperate new line] you can also include a "Title" entry that will be displayed in the main Winamp Window and the PL-Editor.
You'll also notice that if you save the playlist in Winamp at a later date, a "Length" entry will be included, where the figure is the track time in seconds, eg:

[playlist]
File1=C:\My Music\MP3\Brain.mp3
Title1=Molekular vs Hypertweaker - There Goes My Brain Again [PsychoMix]
Length=466
File2=C:\My Music\MP3\CACK.mp3
Title2=Monglords - Cosmic Astral Celestial Kaos [BogsDollox mix]
Length2=222

etc . . . etc . . .

Also, an extra line is usually added right at the end of the list:
Version=2

2} In Winamp PlayList Editor, Right-Click on any given entry for menu options, eg. "Remove Entry". This is especially useful if you are listening to a streamed playlist and don't want a particular track to be included in the list before you save it. [See entry below for further details !]
The right-click option is also very useful if you're using a skin that doesn't clearly display the individual button labels [if at all !]; It's easy to get confused and click on the wrong one by mistake [tell me about it !].
Basically, the more playlists you create and save, the better. This way, you'll never lose any precious data !

3} To save a playlist in Winamp:
Playlist Editor -> List button (bottom right) -> Save List
Default save extension = M3U (also editable in Notepad)
You can use the drop down menu to change the format to PLS

4} Other Playlist Editor options:
List button -> Load list
Misc Button -> Misc Options -> Generate HTML Playlist
Add button -> Add File (can also be a PLS or M3U) - useful for adding to your current list
Add Button -> Add Dir / URL
etc etc . . . experiment a little . . . practice is the best way to gain experience.

Peace -> DJ-Egg.

{Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 11:17 PM}

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-20-2000 at 09:17 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2000, 21:06   #3
Weyrleader

Thanks for the reply.What I did was to put
the tracks into the player,select list
options and pick save list. I then named
the file and put it into a folder in a
special directory where I keep misc. stuff.
This folder contains all the tracks that I
added at that time. The next time I add
tracks I again save the list with a new
name that now contains the previous list
plus the new list of tracks. Now if the
list disappears would it be possible to
open the last folder and place the tracks back into the player? Thanks again

Weyrleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2000, 03:37   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeeharr, glad to be of assistance !
If all the tracks that you want to to be in your playlist are in the same folder, then another option is to right click on the folder in Windows Explorer and select "Play in Winamp" or "Enqueue in Winamp" (requires checkmark in Winamp Prefs -> File Types : Context menu dir's) . . . or you can even select "Send To -> Winamp" (If it doesn't already exist, create a shortcut to Winamp in the "C:\Windows\SendTo" directory).

It would also be wise to first create subfolders within your personal music folder to place all of your music files in, eg: "C:\My Music\Music\MP3", "C:\My Music\Music\WAV", "C:\My Music\Music\MID", etc.
Place all your playlists in the root folder ("My Music") and select the "Music" subdir to be played or enqueued in Winamp. This way, only the actual audio trax will be sent to Winamp and not each individual playlist as well.
Cut and paste all your existing M3U and PLS playlists into the root folder and, in future, always save them to here !

Thus ends Tip of the Day.
Laterz -> DJ-Egg.

-----------
DJ-Egg

{Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 11:20 PM}

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 07:18 PM]
Old 1st September 2000, 01:30   #5
teachera

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg:
Yeeharr, glad to be of assistance !
If all the tracks that you want to to be in your playlist are in the same folder, then another option is to right click on the folder in Windows Explorer and select "Play in Winamp" . . . or you can even select "Send To -> Winamp" [If it doesn't already exist, create a shortcut to Winamp in the "C:\Windows\SendTo" directory].
It would also be wise to first create a subfolder within your personal music folder to place all of your playlists in [eg. "C:\.....\Playlists"]. This way, only the actual audio trax will be sent to Winamp and not each individual playlist as well. Cut and paste all your m3u and pls playlists into this new subfolder and, in future, always save them to here !
Thus ends Tip of the Day.
Laterz -> DJ-Egg.
I've also had problems with finding a playlist after I had it running. I think it has saved the files under its default as "text?" Is there a way to select all my songs and resave my playlist under the correct format so I don't have to go to Napster again to download songs?

[Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 11:23 PM]
Old 1st September 2000, 04:28   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What has saved your playlist with the txt extension ?
Notepad or Winamp ?

Winamp only saves as PLS or M3U.
[PlayList Editor -> List button -> Save]

If it's Notepad that's causing the problem, either:
1. In the "Save" dialogue box, first change the drop down menu from "Text File" to "All Files" and remember to include the PLS or M3U extension in the filename, eg. playlist.pls / MP3Music.pls / etc
2. If Notepad insists on saving as "playlist.pls.txt", goto the folder where you saved it and, from the File menu, Rename the file to "playlist.pls"

Please note that playlist files don't actually contain the tracks they refer to.
They are simply a text equivalent list of trax / files that programs [such as Winamp] use to locate and play music that is already stored on your Hard Drive [or on the Internet if it's a streamed playlist].
Once the MP3's are downloaded to your HD, they should always remain there unless you choose to manually delete them !

[This message has been edited by DJEgg (edited August 31, 2000).]

[Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 11:25 PM]
Old 8th October 2004, 03:34   #7
NanC

Well, here we are, 4 years later. I just joined. I was using WMedia Play. but went with WinAmy because of suggestions of "those in the know"

But it seemed that Media Player was
so much easier to use, I was able to choose my music easier. I am having trouble with WinAmp - to make playlists and choose which music I want to hear. Is there a simple tutorial somewhere?
thnx.
NanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 03:56   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Hello NanC,

First, welcome to the forums. However, reviving a 4-year old dead thread serves no purpose. Lots of things have changed in the last 4 years, and you really should have posted what you posted above as a new thread instead of as a reply to this old dead thread.

That aside, insofar as playlists are concerned, you can consult 2 tutorials that now exist that weren't here 4 years ago. These of course apply to Winamp 5, and to no previous version, since no other old versions of Winamp are supported...

1. Refer to the Product Walkthrough and under "Or view a guide", select option 4 (1st method of making a playlist) and option 5 (2nd method of making a playlist)

2. Refer to the Saving Playlists section of the Winamp Online Help Docs. You can also click the Show link at the top of that page to view / have access to the rest of the Online Help Docs menu. Also refer to the Playlist Editing and Loading Playlists related topics, if needed.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 08:29   #9
Garfield

Location: Canadian west coast on the little island known as Vancouver Island
hrm, Can anyone help me with a playlist problem?
I tried loading WMAFs on winamp but it didnt work so i converted them to MP3s and added them to my playlist... But when i put them in my playlist and click play, it just skips all those songs until it comes to the one song that i originally just downloaded and didnt convert
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support