Old 9th November 2006, 16:16   #1
nanotec

winamp-vista

hi everyone,i want to know,does winamp 5.3 support windows vista? i ve tried with another version and it gives me problems and winamp closes.
nanotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 16:25   #2
Rocker

vista isn't out yet... so don't use it and expect everything to work well... if at all.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 19:45   #3
OffColour

Works fine for me on RC2.

Even last.fm scrobbling worked straightaway (unlike my XP machine).

Windows Vista will be available to MSDN subscribers later this month, even if it's not going retail until next year (strange logic, but that's Microsoft)
OffColour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 15:14   #4
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
I am using Vista RC1 now as a 50-50 spilt with XP for my main/dev machine.

Most things appear to work fine. A bit flaky on some of the preview rollover views and in flip mode , etc but Winamp does function as normal for me so for everything else.

Vista released on the 30 November but only for the corporate market not for retail which is a few months later. So that really should be the point, I suppose, when support will be added. However I don't know who here of the support crew will have full Vista on the machines.

However I will try and help with the limited time to do spend here to help out. Ummh might start another thread.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 15:27   #5
rulzmaker

well it does work with vista, but it's not compatible with 5.1 sound systems. Or at least in my case didn't work.
rulzmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 19:39   #6
nanotec

Quote:
Originally posted by rulzmaker
well it does work with vista, but it's not compatible with 5.1 sound systems. Or at least in my case didn't work.

yeah,actually i have a 5.1 system. but anyway forget it as rocker said vista still being a beta,and anything can happen. ok thanks
Old 19th November 2006, 20:05   #7
OffColour

It's RTM now and Winamp seems fine on Vista apart from the drag drop issue someone else has already pointed out (didn't even know the feature existed to be honest).

Only really tried the basic stuff:
FLAC
Shoutcast
AOL Videos
Winamp Music

But does everything I need it to do
Old 20th November 2006, 02:23   #8
nanotec

Have you tried the RTM? i dont know what did u mean saying the drag and drop issue..what about that? well you're sayin' Winamp seems fine on Vista,so i will try again,i have RC1 installed i'm going to try again.tx
Old 20th November 2006, 19:53   #9
OffColour

Yes, I'm using the RTM.

The drag/drop is just when dragging a file onto Winamp. On XP it plays it, but it doesn't work on Vista.
I haven't tried dragging things into the Media Library or anything like that
Old 21st November 2006, 04:06   #10
nanotec

mm thats weird,it should work..thats one of the "things" that Vista do.well, everything changes..
Old 21st November 2006, 13:31   #11
OffColour

I've noticed some other drag/drop things not working as well, e.g. drop a solution file onto VS2005 when it's running as administrator.

I think it's probably related to the minimum permission set approach that Vista uses.
Old 22nd November 2006, 04:12   #12
MartyList

I've been using Winamp 5.3 on Windows Vista RC2 (build 5744) and now Vista RTM (build 6000) and the basic functionality works fine (ripping CD, tagging, playing MP3, playlists, Shoutcast).

But I have lost my entire library database 3 times now. I keep setting the folder locations under Preferences -> Media Library -> Local Media -> Watch Folders and my library will build with over 3,000 songs in it. Then after a while it's empty and I have to rebuild it again.
MartyList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 03:47   #13
dust11

I've never had issues with "Drag 'n' Drop" in vista, and I'm using RTM, but the problem I have is that it's difficult to open winamp in the first place. I could usually open it by just running the program without opening a media file. Now I can't even get it to run, it just crashes. I can't open it with other files, it just says that the RPC service is unavailable, and when I open it on it's own, it just crashes.
dust11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 06:21   #14
autolux

i have a problem in vista with .m3u files, they're associated with winamp like all audio files, but when i double click them, nothing...

for example, if i double click "00-adorable - against perfection (1993)m3u"

winamp will attempt to load, fail and just display "1.00-adorable - against perfection (1993)" in the playlist window

if i right-click "play in winamp" same thing, fails and nothing..

drag and dropping is fine. if i drag and drop the .m3u (or an .mp3) into the playlist window, it will load & play all the song(s) as usual

.mp3's i can double click fine, and windows media player can load the playlist fine also.. any ideas?

I'm also using the nmp3 irc script, which i have been for years, it no longer works which is odd. usually the command /rmp3 will load a random mp3 out of the cached files, but now it just fails to load and displays the file name, and you have to manually browse to load it.. its weird..

Last edited by autolux; 24th November 2006 at 06:46.
autolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 06:44   #15
autolux

ok i just opened 00-adorable - against perfection (1993)

code:

01-adorable-sunshine smile.mp3
02-adorable-glorious.mp3
03-adorable-favourite fallen idol.mp3
04-adorable-a to fade in.mp3
05-adorable-i know you too well.mp3
06-adorable-homeboy.mp3
07-adorable-sistine chapel ceiling.mp3
08-adorable-cut 2.mp3
09-adorable-crash sight.mp3
10-adorable-still life.mp3
11-adorable-breathless.mp3
12-adorable-ill be your saint.mp3

thats what appears, as usual.

when i click manage playlists->open playlist and load the playlist that way, it also works.

manually loaded the mp3s for the album, and saved a new playlist in the same directory, and it saved an EXTM3U format playlist file, which WILL run like normal when double-clicked..

code:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:303,Adorable - Sunshine Smile
01-adorable-sunshine smile.mp3
#EXTINF:257,Adorable - Glorious
02-adorable-glorious.mp3
#EXTINF:159,Adorable - Favourite Fallen Idol
03-adorable-favourite fallen idol.mp3
#EXTINF:290,Adorable - A To Fade In
04-adorable-a to fade in.mp3
#EXTINF:220,Adorable - I Know You Too Well
05-adorable-i know you too well.mp3
#EXTINF:270,Adorable - Homeboy
06-adorable-homeboy.mp3
#EXTINF:213,Adorable - Sistine Chapel Ceiling
07-adorable-sistine chapel ceiling.mp3
#EXTINF:282,Adorable - Cut #2
08-adorable-cut 2.mp3
#EXTINF:242,Adorable - Crash Sight
09-adorable-crash sight.mp3
#EXTINF:156,Adorable - Still Life
10-adorable-still life.mp3
#EXTINF:318,Adorable - Breathless
11-adorable-breathless.mp3
#EXTINF:212,Adorable - I'll Be Your Saint
12-adorable-ill be your saint.mp3

so yeh, no idea why the old generic .m3u files won't work for me, and if it is only me, in vista.
autolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 22:41   #16
MacGOD

Send a message via AIM to MacGOD Send a message via Yahoo to MacGOD
I also run Winamp 5.32 on Vista RC2. Its been running great till I decided to test out the beta software for my microsoft keyboard/mouse. Thats when WinAmp could no longer define my media keys. Oh well, guess something I will have to deal with till the RC of this software comes out.
MacGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 08:14   #17
rhinohelix

I have the drag and drop issue in Vista RC2. I also am missing the context menu options as well. Other than that it performs wonderfully.
rhinohelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 22:43   #18
HunterST

Solution to many of my Vista problems

This solved the problem of my Media Library clearing after each restart - be advised, when you do this it will basically reset winamp to the default settings...

1) In Windows Explorer, navigate to your Winamp directory (default is C:\Program Files\Winamp).
2) Right-click winamp.exe, and choose Properties.
3) Click the Compatibility tab.
4) Turn on "Run this program as an administrator", and click OK.

REPEAT for winampa.exe (the winamp agent), if you use it.

Simple as that - hope this helps!
HunterST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 21:18   #19
kruykaze

Re: Solution to many of my Vista problems

Quote:
Originally posted by HunterST
This solved the problem of my Media Library clearing after each restart - be advised, when you do this it will basically reset winamp to the default settings...

1) In Windows Explorer, navigate to your Winamp directory (default is C:\Program Files\Winamp).
2) Right-click winamp.exe, and choose Properties.
3) Click the Compatibility tab.
4) Turn on "Run this program as an administrator", and click OK.

REPEAT for winampa.exe (the winamp agent), if you use it.

Simple as that - hope this helps!
It worked! you can revert to normal use of winamp and the database is still there (you have to do it evey time you add songs.)thank you.
kruykaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 15:56   #20
technick

This might be beating a dead horse, though I have had the same problems with my Toshiba U205-S5002 laptop with Vista Business. I've been able to remedy the situation by configuring the Output Plugin in Winamp to not use my Primary Sound Driver but to instead use my SoundMAX Integrated Audio Card instead. It seems to be working without any problems now.

I believe it has something to do with the DirectSound and Windows. WaveOUT worked as well.
technick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 16:36   #21
Trle

Quote:
Originally posted by rhinohelix
I have the drag and drop issue in Vista RC2. I also am missing the context menu options as well. Other than that it performs wonderfully.
Okay people, I only registered to give tell you how to resolve the drag and drop problem. The first time i installed winamp on my vista it worked perfectly... after some time my laptop restarted every time a song ended (first i thought it didn't like the music ).So after that i uninstalled and installed winamp again. Then came the drag and drop problem and every time i maximized the winamp window the scroll bars became transparent, but after I moved the pointer over the scroll bars they change back to normal..(but it really gets on my nerves) After some studying I managed to find a solution to the drag and drop problem.
. Just right click on the winamp icon and go to the compatibility tab, there set it on windows XP(service pack 2). I didn't try the other ones but this works, at least for me. So I wish you good luck with this. I hope this was usefull!
Trle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support