Old 13th November 2006, 18:48   #1
caa100

5.31 PRO: Limited and Admin Users sharing settings

My system has several users, and I want them to share settings. Some are limited users, so the Shared Settings option doesn't cut it (limited users cannot write to Program Files.)

So I did a shared settings install, then added a PATHS.INI with an entry to place the settings under the the All Users directory:

inidir=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp

(That should be the default for shared settings, IMHO.)

This causes problems for the limited users. The worst problem occurs when they access a ML playlist that was created by an admin user. After they click away from it, Winamp crashes.

To recreate:

- As administrator, install winamp pro 5.31
- Take option for shared settings
- After install, go to C:\Program Files\Winamp and create PATHS.ini with the entry above (for C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp)
- Run winamp (still as an administrator), change to modern skin, add some files to media library, and create a ML playlist.
- Close Winamp
- Click the playlist once
- Click "audio" once
- Winamp "encounters a problem" and crashes.

Application event log says: Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.3.1.979, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00001010.

I also notice that when the limited user creates a playlist, then exits winamp, then comes back in, it is not shown. However, the list can be found in inidir=C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp\Plugins\ml directory.

I have done clean installs. No additional plugins. Have also tried installing into a shared directory (C:\Winamp) so that I dont have to mess with PATHS.ini. Have also tried
doing a "Separate settings" install, then updating PATHS.INI to point to a shared folder. Same problems in call cases.

I think these problems are caused by the fact that files created by an administrator user are read-only for limited users. I verified this using AccessEnum (from sysinternals.com)

Is there something screwy about my system?

SPECS:
- Dell Dimension 2400
- Celeron 2.4GHz, 1 Gig RAM
- Creative SB Live!
- nVida GeForce FX 5200, 128mb Ram
- Windows XP Home, SP2
- DirectX v9.0c
- Winamp version (eg. 5.31)
- Winamp Pro 5.31
- Problem can be duplicated using 'separate' or 'shared' settings on multi-user page
caa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 18:51   #2
caa100

Oops, forgot to attach the Hijack This log. Here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (8.2 KB, 463 views)
Old 14th November 2006, 18:01   #3
caa100

Cause

Figured out what causes this. For files created in the settings directory ("inidir"), MODIFY permission is only given to the current user and administrators. (At least on my system).

This is why limited users are having problems when trying to share a configuration with other users. They cannot update the playlist files or index in the media libarary.

The solution is to change the permissions for the directory where the settings are stored, giving the group "USERS" modify permissions.

I did this, and now have no problems with users sharing settings in the All Users\Application Data\Winamp directory.

Unfortunately, XP Home does not make it easy to change permissions on a folder. You cannot just right click it and choose "Security" like you can on XP Pro.

There are two ways to do it on XP Home: use the command line utility CACLS, or boot into safe mode.

I will post a tutorial on how to do it in my next post on this thread.

- Chris

Last edited by caa100; 14th November 2006 at 18:28.
Old 14th November 2006, 18:20   #4
caa100

Workaround: Limited users sharing settings

This procedure allowed me to set up Winamp 5.31 so that all users, including limited users, share a single group of settings. (The single settigns option in the installer will not work if you have limited users.)[list=1][*]Log on as administrator[*]Install Winamp, taking the option for "SEPARATE Settings"[*]After the install, navigate to C:\Program Files\Winamp and edit the file PATHS.INI[*]Change the inidir value to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp[*]Fire up winamp, add some files to the media libary, save a playlist to the media library[/list=1]
Here's the tricky part: [list=1][*]Reboot in safe mode (hit F8 when windows is starting)[*]Log in as administrator[*]In windows explorer, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data[*]Right click the Winamp folder and choose "security"[*]In the top part of the security dialog, choose the group "USERS"[*]In the bottom part, under "Allow", add checkmarks as needed so that the group has Modify, Read and Execute, Read, Write[*]Reboot[/list=1]
That's it. Now a limited user can run winamp and not experience any problems with the shared settings. You can test this by accessing the playlist created by the administrator above.

EDIT: These instructions are for XP Home. With XP Pro, you should be able to access the "Security" tab without booting to safe mode.
Old 30th April 2007, 19:51   #5
WINO

Is there a way to have different settings for admin/limited users, but share the same media library? I suppose I could put all of my music and playlists in the shared folder, but I don't really want to do that.
WINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support