Old 16th May 2000, 09:27   #1
outlaw_91405

my winamp was work good but know I get this "mmsystem004 the device is already in use wait and try later"
outlaw_91405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2000, 12:45   #2
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
The drivers for your sound card aren't very well written. When a software tried to play a sound, it didn't tell your sound card that it was done playing the sound, so, that left the sound card thinking that it was still playing sound. What this means is that when you're trying to get Winamp to play sound, the sound card is screaming, "HEY! I'm already playing a sound, I can't play two sounds at the same time, try back when I'm not playing anymore sound!"

Here's the fix, either, try getting the latest drivers for your sound card. Or you can buy a new sound card, one that allows you to play multiple sounds at the same time. I recommend the Diamond Monster Sound MX300 - That's what most of Nullsoft has. (WE LOVE THAT CARD).

As an imediate solution. Turn your computer off, completely then just turn it back on. That'll basically tell the sound card to turn off and not remember that it was "playing" sound, even if it really wasn't.

-steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2000, 00:43   #3
Wild

As an imediate solution. Turn your computer off, completely then just turn it back on. That'll basically tell the sound card to turn off and not remember that it was "playing" sound, even if it really wasn't.
-steve[/B][/QUOTE]

error mmsystem004

i have the same problem but when i try to reboot i have the same problem
w6i6l6d@hotmail.com
Old 25th May 2000, 05:02   #4
eliphilet

The mmsystem004 message means WinAmp is incompatible with your soundcard. I only got rid of the message by putting a new sound card in (Easy for me since i live in a computer shop) But that is your problem.
eliphilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2000, 22:49   #5
Spunky

i have this same problem, but i can play cd's just fine. It seems like it only says that when i'm trying to stream over the net. Is this the same case? I hope peole are still responding to this post.
Old 2nd August 2000, 10:35   #6
SMeger

I get this error message but only sice I reinstalled windows
Old 3rd August 2000, 01:25   #7
Knuckleskin

Send a message via ICQ to Knuckleskin
Basicly it's a drivers or audio channels problem... I only have 1 audio chanel so if I play WMP7 and open winamp I get that error, becuase my computer can only understand 1 audio input at the same time, like when u open ICQ and open another one of it and it comes up with the similar style error which means I am busy.
try closing other programs which could be submiting audio such as games or even if u are skilled programs that are just displaying an error message, and it doesn't realise the sound has stopped and see if u can buy a sound card with more audio channels or re-install ur drivers
Knuckleskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2000, 08:05   #8
frustrated

Quote:
Originally posted by outlaw_91405:
my winamp was work good but know I get this "mmsystem004 the device is already in use wait and try later"
mine was working wonderful too until i downloaded version 2.64 i think it was, whichever just came out not too long ago. it plays fine for about 2.5, to 3 hours, and then blammo, i get the message. any ideas? if so, please email me at k-j1@lycos.com. thanks

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-17-2000 at 09:20 PM]
Old 15th August 2000, 18:57   #9
Adrenalynn

Send a message via ICQ to Adrenalynn
Check your sound-codecs if they are all turned on.
Multimedia > Devices > Sound Codecs > Properties
Put them all on "enable" and reboot, problem should be solved

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-17-2000 at 09:18 PM]
Adrenalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2000, 04:24   #10
Aaron453

Im having the same problem except that i don't get the error message. I used to, and i reloade windows and no longer get it. I can play cds, but midis and mp3s play for about 1/2 a second and then screw up. I have a awe64 soundcard that has "full duplex operation" or something like that and is supposed to allow you to play multiple things at once, but i can't get it to work right. please tell me if u know, and if my soundcard is fine, broke, or incompatible.
thaks
Old 31st December 2001, 06:23   #11
Burnout77

Send a message via ICQ to Burnout77 Send a message via AIM to Burnout77
SAME FUCKING ERROR MESSAGE

I"m getting this error message in winamp, real player, and windows media player. I just started getting it yesterday. Winamp and the others worked perfectly just yesterday. I have no clue whats wrong. I have turned it off and restarted it multiple times. Sound cards are too expensive for my budget, are there any other solutions?
Burnout77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2001, 18:21   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So, ermm, what soundcard do you have?
Sounds like the drivers are broken. Reinstall them, preferably the latest version from the soundcard manufacturer's site.

What is your Windows OS?
What version of DirectX is installed? (start -> run -> dxdiag)
Have you checked "Multimedia Control Panel -> Devices tab" to make sure everything is enabled? (Audio/mixer/media control devices, audio codecs)

Have you tried switching to DirectSound Output in Winamp and changing the Output Device to your soundcard?
Winamp -> Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Plugins -> Output -> DirectSound -> config

Further info:

RE: MMSYSTEM004 Error (Device already in use)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=35637
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26288 (this thread)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=32707
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31953
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31545
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=25764
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31957
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2002, 14:23   #13
lbdezign

aRGG

Okay everyone has this probly i see ... i thought it was just because im at a gateway hehe

well like every 3 months or so this does this ... ive tried to update my drivers using the gateway updater for my sound card .. arnt any updates .... I tried chaning the pref in winamp .... Ive made sure all my codecs are enabled ..... I ran the directx engine thing ... i do get errors ....

here they are

under music : No direct music ports where found

input: No input devices detected

here is a scarey thing

i go to systems tab : NOTHING !

i have nothing there .. when istart the dirx eng t o check it says that there was errors runningi t last time and do i want to bypass it .. yes or no .. only two options there ... no quits it yes keeps going on ..... So i have to hit yes ...

but yea .. thats my problem .. i remember i DID SOMETHING before .... and it fixed it ... it fixed it once before by reformating ... but really i dont want to have to do that ..... so think anyone can give me some more help?

i have read every thread about this and every link you have had

plz help a brotha out ! !

we love

*EDIT* .. just found out something new too ... that webcam is saying it isnt installed and it is saying my keyboard isnt installed ... but yet i can type?? ... but yeah .. ive updated my virus scanner scanned clean .... defraged ... all the usual stuff .. still nothin .. hope someone can help If i cant figure anything by tommrow night oir when i get off work today ill just reformat

Last edited by lbdezign; 19th June 2002 at 15:03.
lbdezign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2002, 17:45   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

System specs? soundcard/chip details? Windows OS? DirectX version?
Have you tried updating/reinstalling DirectX?
Have you contacted Gateway Support?
Old 20th June 2002, 05:42   #15
lbdezign

"System specs?" Umm im not sure what you mean but i got a 1ghz gateway machine =/
"soundcard/chip details?" My device manager says i have a Cyrstal WDM Audio Coded ... manufactuer .. Ciruss Logic , inc
" Windows OS? " 98
"DirectX version? " 8.1

"Have you tried updating/reinstalling DirectX?" Yup
"Have you contacted Gateway Support?" Nope .. will do that in the morning :-D
Old 20th June 2002, 21:28   #16
lbdezign

well i called gate way they screwed me around. I went to there live help thing where they control your computer. i went trew about 5 of there repts and then when ig ot frustrated went to one last one to see if they could do anything she looked at my sound card and goes " your sound is interegrated you need to get it serviced" and then she closed the conversation out and disconneted ... wtf .. i really hope i dont have to take my computer into a shop just for them to screw me around and i end up paying 100's of dollars cuz gateway sells shitty computers that they dont know how to fix when a problem come sup
Old 20th June 2002, 23:29   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If you know the Model & Serial No. of the Gateway, you can manually get all the latest drivers for your machine here (without any interaction from some clueless Gateway jerk):
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp

If the onboard sound chip driver upgrade doesn't fix the problem, then yes, maybe there's a problem with the actual chip. You can remedy this by disabling the chip in the BIOS & going out and buying a proper pci soundcard. You can get a SoundBlaster SB PCI 128 for under $20
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support