Old 28th September 2007, 14:16   #1
Znyper2

Volunteering for langage pack

Hi,

I would really like a good swedish language pack available for WinAmp 5.5+

If anyone knows where to find one; please answer this thread. If there simply isn't, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to make one? I can put some hour aside for this purpose.. =)

Thanks in advance!
Znyper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 14:59   #2
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

After the release of 5.5, there will be details coming out on how to create language packs with the improved methods coming into that release. It's very unlikely that it will be before then due to time/resource constraints.

The general advice at the moment is hold fire and wait until after 5.5 comes out, then more details will be available.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 11:33   #3
Znyper2

Okay, Thanks!

I'll just have to wait, then...
Old 9th October 2007, 20:05   #4
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

You can help out by joining the Winamp translation mailing list:
http://lists.winamp.com/mailman/listinfo/translations

Also see here for info about the Winamp Translations site
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 20:34   #5
Znyper2

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski:
You can help out by joining the Winamp translation mailing list.
Kewl.

Done!
Old 9th October 2007, 20:39   #6
DrO

oh noes, the secret is out you'll want to wait until 5.5 is released either way before asking for anything real to play with in the form of a example language pack...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 20:41   #7
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
The tree biggest mistakes of the german translation are corrected in this file:

http://stashbox.org/43663/Deutsch.wlz

English -> Wrong Translation -> My New Translation

Browser -> Webbläsare -> Browser
(Webbläsare is not a word. It would sound like "Webblowariy" or something in English)

EasyMove -> Titelinfo bearbeiten (actually means "Edit title info") -> EasyMove

Media Library -> Medienbiblioteket -> Medienbibliothek

Visualization -> Visualisiering -> Visualisierung

Format Converter -> Formatlpnvertierer -> Formatkonvertierer (obviously a typo, look at your keyboard lp <-> ko)

"Reihenfolge von rechts nach links erzwingen" replaced by "Reihenfolge von links nach rechts erzwingen" as they translated it both as "von rechts nach links" ("from right to left") in the Playlist options.

Use the new file if you want. (Did this in 5 min, because I did not want to wait for a new release where these errors will - hopefully - be finished )

Best regards,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 20:46   #8
DrO

well as you've not posted the fixes to the correct place they won't be fixed for the next version. people are failing to follow instructions on reporting issues with the language packs so i'm going to be strict in what is passed onto be fixed - i've got more than enough to do still without having to waste time reposting issues for internal logging. this is why there's a proper mailing list for reporting of the issues.

-daz
Old 13th October 2007, 20:50   #9
E-Trance

Send a message via ICQ to E-Trance
There are just simple PE-files with resources from DLLs and EXE with .lng extension. All these files are in .wlz archive that is of ZIP-format and can be opened with any ZIP-archiver.
E-Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 21:01   #10
DrO

yes, that's the main basis of the language pack format (though there's some strings/resources which shouldn't be touched otherwise it'll break the work that i did to make things more resiliant to resource changes) which is detailed in the mailing list

-daz
Old 14th October 2007, 17:32   #11
kzuse

OK I did it first for myself, because I couldn't stand it to have to look at these "words" I don't know how to use the mailing list. Maybe I'm too silly... But as I know how to use the forum (hehe ^^) I just posted it here.

But now... at last, I subscribed the mailing list. Don't know how to post a file there, but maybe I'll find out.

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 14th October 2007, 20:23   #12
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I was working on a German language file for a while. Real life made it impossible to finsih the pack until now. I'll finish my German language pack as soon as possible. I completly disagree with the bundled language file.

There are tons of typos, some translations are simply wrong and make no sense, some parts are still English and some text isn't viewable, because there is not enough space..

If someone is interested in my language pack, feel free to contact me.

I'll release it on Winamp.com as soon as I've finished it.

-Koopa
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 20:44   #13
kzuse

Oh, that sounds great. I fully trust in you as a German native speaker and just wait until your language pack is released. A Big thank you in advance.

I also hope that it'll be included with one of the next official Winamp releases... the current one is...awful

|<zuse

PS: Just one more thing... how did you translate "Refine:" to fit it into the space? The original "Verfeinern:" is too long, I named it "Feiner:" but it is sub-optimal... for the button on the right of the refine field, I suggest changing from "Verfeinerung leeren" to just "leeren"... Just some suggestions apart from the obvious ones above...^^
Old 14th October 2007, 20:52   #14
DrO

this is why we want people to mail to the translation list what needs to be fixed (if need be with examples/pre-done fixes on specific parts) so we can get the official ones properly sorted. but i just don't know why i'm bothering since no one's bothering to listen to me (i just want to ensure that what's pushed out as official is the best we can do *shrugs*)

-daz
Old 14th October 2007, 20:52   #15
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks for your trust.

I already did most parts of the Winamp installer translation, this is the reason, why some things in the installer are translated like Global Hotkeys (Globale Tastenkürzel) but are still English in Winamp.

There are many possibilities to translate "Refine", one simple way is to enlarge the size, so that "Verfeinern" should get enough space.

DrO: with all respect, but I simply have no time to discuss any translation issue via the mailing list, it's more simple to finish my own language pack and make it aviable at winamp.com.

Most parts of the translation look like a Babelfish translation, how can I discuss issues with people, who don't speak German?

Nobody asked a German member of the betalist, if the translation is ok, or not. It was a big surprise for me that they've bundled language packs, without any testing.

They've recycled my installer translation, but my installer translation doesn't fit with the Winamp translation (if you can call this a translation).

It simply sucks, a community driven translation would be the better choice and for a paid AOL team, this translation is just a shame.
Old 14th October 2007, 21:03   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If you want to see any changes in the Winamp shipped versions, then you need to first subscribe to the Translations Mailing List:
http://lists.winamp.com/mailman/listinfo/translations

Then read the archives for instructions:
http://lists.winamp.com/pipermail/translations/

eg. these ones
http://lists.winamp.com/pipermail/tr...er/000008.html
http://lists.winamp.com/pipermail/tr...er/000005.html

Follow the instructions and post all changes in a zipped and attached unicode text file (optionally with amended .lng/.wlz files included in the zip) to the mailing list.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 21:08   #17
DrO

fine, we'll leave the official german lang pack being a bollocks translation and i wash my hands of issues relating to it. i don't care if there's mutliples of a language pack available but it seems fecking stupid to fix a 3rd party rather than help as well on the official one, but whatever, not my problem now.

all i know is that things were done by what was meant to be an official translating group but the results so far seem to be bollocks according to everyone on most of the language packs which makes all of the hard work i've done since april seem pretty much pointless as it's detracting from what is able to be done now.

i know that we should have been using community members on the official language packs (is what i wanted to be done) and people should have been contacted as information was passed on for the current maintainers of the 3rd party lang packs to be used as reference points for the full wlz's. but whatever, i don't care now, i've wasted basically half of a year of my life with sod all to show for it... maybe it's time to call it day with winamp since it's just bitch bitch bitch with what remains of the community (if it can even be called that) and do i really want to be wasting my time on that, at the moment the answer in my head is no. i think cheezychop's old signature with my name in it pretty much sums things up. so i'm outta here for the time being

-daz
Old 14th October 2007, 21:16   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Old 14th October 2007, 21:18   #19
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

An official translating group is ok, but this should happen before they ship incomplete, wrong language packs.

No your work wasn't a waste of time, you've made Winamp translatable. It was a big wish of many old school users like me to see localization support in Winamp.

It's not your fault, you know that I've big respect for everything you've done in the past.

I'm doing a lot of Winamp shit in my free time, I did the installer translation and yeah, I enjoy it. It's nice to be a part of the community and I love working for the community.

But I fail to see your other point, just because there is a official translation doesn't mean, that there is no place for third party translations, or am I wrong?

DrO I hope you're not pissed off if you think the best solution is it to fix the bundled translation, then I'll try my best to help, and yeah mostly I'll do it for YOU..
Old 14th October 2007, 21:20   #20
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Sorry to hear that Darren
But I can't blame you. Not at all!
Go ahead and take a WELL DESERVED break if you feel you need it.
And I too have a TON of respect for you and all your efforts and accomplishments.
Always know that, O Magical Genie!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 21:53   #21
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
... i've wasted basically half of a year of my life...
-daz
Darren
This what you did and do for Winamp community is amazing. The fully translatable localization support for Winamp is something, that many people waited for years. So, no you did not waste your time. And, as Nunzio390 wrote, we have a TON of respect for you and all your efforts and accomplishments!
Regards,
-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 09:05   #22
Hanschke

the "verfeinert" is no a good german word for explaining the feature.

i have joined the group but i think a forum like this only for translation is much better.
Hanschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 17:50   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ok, it's time for the community to take over.

German, French, Polish & Dutch translations are already covered.

Please volunteer here for doing the Swedish, Italian & Spanish translations.

We need one person for each, so no fighting over it please...

Info to follow, probably by email... not sure yet, but let's just get the ball rolling first.

@Znyper2
Are you still up for doing the Swedish translation?
If so, please confirm it here.
Old 17th October 2007, 18:36   #24
siebe83
Forum King

I believe the authors of the old Dutch language pack (available at winamp.com/plugins) are currently working on a full translation for 5.5+. I'll ask if they're interested.

@DrO:
You know we love you
You've done a great job on providing the tools for full translation of Winamp. It's just too bad that the initial translations weren't always perfect, and unfortunately that's what people notice and comment on. Hopefully that's not the end of the story, and it just takes some time for things to work out. You provided the tools, now it's up to translators to make this work.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:32   #25
paulvg

I'll forgo my comments and get right down to business

Siebe did as Siebe said. So I enter myself as volunteer for the Dutch translation... have been translating since v2.54 with the support of winampnederlands.nl of course, so I can't stop now...

@DrO.. it's true we've been waiting/hoping for years for a fully localizable Winamp... and here it is... if I had your picture I'd put it up on a wall! as a token of respect and gratitude
paulvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 21:04   #26
gLes

Send a message via ICQ to gLes
Hungarian translation

I'd like to volunteer for the Hungarian Language Pack.

For reference I already have a localization for Winamp in the pre-5.5 system (link), but I still don't see any info on the new WLZ files (maybe I'm not looking in the right place though ).

I'm looking forward to a quick answer since I just might have a few days for the 40k+ words to translate, and my free time is rare nowadays
gLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 21:25   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@paulvg

You'll be contacted shortly be email.
I assume the email address you signed up for on the forums is ok?
If not, then send me a PM with an alternate contact address.

@gLes
Alas, there is no Hungarian pack in the default distribution.
Just French, German, Polish, Dutch (all now covered), and Italian, Swedish, Spanish (which we're still looking for volunteers).

See Benski's, DrO's and my posts above for info about where to look and what to do if you want to make a 3rd-party external pack for any non-default shipped language.
All other packs will eventually end up on winamp.com/plugins
Old 17th October 2007, 21:35   #28
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Re: Hungarian translation

Quote:
Originally posted by gLes
I'd like to volunteer for the Hungarian Language Pack.

For reference I already have a localization for Winamp in the pre-5.5 system (link), but I still don't see any info on the new WLZ files (maybe I'm not looking in the right place though ).

I'm looking forward to a quick answer since I just might have a few days for the 40k+ words to translate, and my free time is rare nowadays
Send me a private message with your e-mail address. I'll send you the english template to start from.

koszi!
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 22:09   #29
flocksoft
Major Dude

@DJ Egg
for italian I could help (already subscribed to mailing list some day ago but now I don't have my own PC); I've noted some errors/clipped texts; I think tomorrow evening I'll send the corrections

bye
flocksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 21:40   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ok, brilliant. Thanks flocksoft.

We now have volunteers for all of the:
German, French, Polish, Dutch, Italian & Spanish translations.

That just leaves Swedish...
Old 20th October 2007, 12:32   #31
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Ok, it's time for the community to take over.
thanks for the kind comments people but from what has now happened, i think my 'wibble moment' as i'm calling it has had the best effect overall with as Egg's quote stating where we're going (and is how i'd always been led to believe was going to be the case - we all got shafted on this respect i believe)

now we'll move on from this and will have decent and complete community developed and maintained lang packs yes? i can't hear you!!

-daz
Old 20th October 2007, 12:59   #32
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

[really big]YES[/really big]

Hi Doc,

What is going to happen to the old language packs?

If there are more in the publishing queue (yes, there is one now) should it be published?

Is all the old stuff obsolete, or is it still usable?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 13:32   #33
DrO

all of the old ones are deprecated and the 5.5+ client will not load them (we left that happening until after 5.5beta3 since we'd not gotten everything sorted at that point). the main purpose of this is to start them off against a known base (since there's issues with the older ones not having the correct updated versions of some of the dialogs especially with the cleanups of the dialogs in the later few of the 5.3x versions)

if there is any old ones in the queue then they'll need to be rejected and refered to the information here on getting things updated to the newer specs.

it's relatively easy if needed to get the old language packs working again (the internal build tool is almost setup to do this) so we could if need be get them updated and put up on the nullsoft account or something like that (though would ideally need some user-verification of the auto-porting if that went ahead as there will be clipping issues, etc)

ideally we need to get all of the old ones moved to an archieved state (this had been brought up internally but nothing much came off it). one for me to re-check on what's happening when people are back in work next week.

-daz
Old 20th October 2007, 13:41   #34
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Review questions continued backstage.....
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:37   #35
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp Translations (public domain)
http://winamp.benski.org/xlat

Just a very basic site, containing all the info you'll need :-)

For people who are still having problems gaining access, you can use this mirror.

[EDIT --> May 2008]

The original site/server died.

Xlat site is now the mirror site only:
http://xlat.meggamusic.co.uk
Old 25th October 2007, 11:22   #36
BoyNG

Send a message via ICQ to BoyNG
Hi, I may translate to Russian (in a progress)...
BoyNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 14:27   #37
E-Trance

Quote:
Hi, I may translate to Russian (in a progress)...
I am in a progress of making too. But I don't want to engage in competition with you

Could you give me an example of your translation? I just want to look if it's well-done or completely worse and depending on the result to continue or to discontinue making my version. You already done some translations before (as I know) but you probably increase the quality while making this one. Thus I want to see the newest version. Пожалуйста
Old 25th October 2007, 15:52   #38
BoyNG

Quote:
Originally posted by E-Trance
I am in a progress of making too. But I don't want to engage in competition with you

Could you give me an example of your translation? I just want to look if it's well-done or completely worse and depending on the result to continue or to discontinue making my version. You already done some translations before (as I know) but you probably increase the quality while making this one. Thus I want to see the newest version. Пожалуйста
Im translate Winamp and suport Russian(exUSSR) users in Winamp questions many years.
You may see my works on ru-board site.
http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?...c=21206&glp#lt
Всегда пожалуйста
Old 26th October 2007, 06:44   #39
BoyNG

absence

1 Strings for translate in "ml_disk" is absence.
"Year: %s"
"Genre: %s"
"Artist: %s"
"Album: %s"

2 -//- in "in_vorbis"...
"kbps"
"Hz"

3 -//- "in_mod" ...
"bytes"
"bits"

4 -//- "winamp.exe" ...
html parts for playlist HTML generator
"Track Gain: %s"
"Album Gain: %s"
EQ elements like "kHz", "dB"
Old 26th October 2007, 10:04   #40
E-Trance

BoyNG, you should post it to mailing list.

Quote:
http://winamp.benski.org/xlat

Note: the DNS entry was only created yesterday,
and might not have been propagated around the world yet.
So if you get a 'Could not find server' error, try again later or tomorrow.
Three days passed. It still don't work
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion