Winamp 5.5 Released
Winamp 5.5 Full (English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Swedish lang support)
Winamp 5.5 Full
(US English installer)
Winamp 5.5 Pro
(Intl. Pro Installer, asks for key during install)
Winamp 5.5 Pro
(US English Pro installer, asks for key during install)
Winamp 5.5 Lite
(basic 2.x-style mp3/cd player)
* New: Bento SingleUI Skin
* New: Auto-Tagger in File Info dialog (powered by Gracenote)
* New: Album Art support, including new window for Winamp Modern skin
* New: Fully translatable Localization support
* New: WLZ (Winamp Language Zip) filetype support
* New: Global 'playback thread priority' setting for decoders
* New: Media Monitor and MP3 Blog site scraper (in Bento browser)
* New: Option to set the number of lines to scroll in the Playlist
* New: Option to not show playlist item number in classic songticker
* New: Option to not show the playlist number in the Windows taskbar
* New: Redesigned Installer
* New: Run Setup switch, winamp.exe /REG=S
* New: Unified File Editor, with Artwork tab (for mp3, m4a, wma, ogg, flac)
* New: Version History drop-down selector and Search (in About dialog)
* New: Winamp Toolbar for Internet Explorer (optional)
* New: %family% ATF string for identifying filetypes
* New: $split() ATF function for splitting x/y disc & track strings
* New: [in_mp3] Multi-channel mp3surround support
* New: [gen_ml] Tree Options tab in Media Library Preferences
* New: [ml_autotag] Mass Auto-Tagger in Send-To menu (powered by Gracenote)
* New: [ml_local] 3 pane view options in 'Add/Edit View' dialog
* New: [ml_local] Smart View Presets
* New: [ml_local] Album Art support/pane and retrieval service
* New: [ml_local] Toolbar buttons to control view options
* New: [ml_plg] Winamp Playlist Generator (powered by Gracenote MusicID)
* New: [ml_pmp] New fields, configurable filter panes & columns, 3 pane view
* New: [ml_pmp] Album Art view & support for iPod and P4S Devices
* New: [ml_pmp] Separate view for video files
* New: [vis_milk2] Milkdrop2 Visualizer
* Improved: General misc UI/Dialog tweaks & improvements
* Improved: Re-tuned and optimized classic Spectrum Analyzer
* Improved: Surround indicator in Winamp Modern skin for multi-channel files
* Improved: Classic Songticker option for Winamp Modern skin (via Config drawer)
* Improved: [in_cdda] Conductor metadata support
* Improved: [in_cdda] Handling of multiple discs
* Improved: [in_flac/in_vorbis] ALBUM ARTIST & ENSEMBLE read support
* Improved: [in_flac] Advanced Editor mode
* Improved: [in_mod] Added support for more than 256 samples
* Improved: [in_mp3] Faster metadata gathering (also speeds up ReplayGain scan)
* Improved: [in_mp4] Smoother data sent to vis & other minor tweaks
* Improved: [in_wm] Faster WMA/WMV metadata gathering
* Improved: [gen_ff] General freeform skinning engine optimizations
* Improved: [gen_ml] Collapsed/expanded state of treeview items now remembered
* Improved: [gen_ml] Skinned scrollbars in Media Library for newer Modern skins
* Improved: [gen_ml] Reordering of treeview items (via drag+drop)
* Improved: [ml_disc] Better Unicode support & other misc tweaks
* Improved: [ml_history] Unicode support
* Improved: [ml_local] Customize Columns menu for top filter panes
* Improved: [ml_local] Option to show horizontal scrollbar for top panes
* Improved: [ml_local] New 'Podcasts' view (appears after downloading a podcast)
* Improved: [ml_local] Added ISPODCAST and PODCASTCHANNEL field names
* Improved: [ml_local] Added BEGINSLIKE comparison operator
* Improved: [ml_local] Dragging of headers to sort column order
* Improved: [ml_local] Redesigned Smart View Editor
* Improved: [ml_local] Star Rating display and selection
* Improved: [ml_pmp] 'Copy to Local Media' config separated from CD Ripping settings
* Improved: [ml_pmp] Portables "Sync" can now keep podcasts updated
* Improved: [ml_rg] ReplayGain calculation support for 64, 88.2 & 96 KHz samplerates
* Improved: [ml_wire] Optional automatic downloading of new podcast episodes
* Improved: [ml_wire] Multi-select, 'Send To' menu and other general enhancements
* Improved: [ml_wire] Podcast downloads now saved in channel subfolders
* Improved: [ml_wire] Updated podcast directory
* Improved: [pmp_ipod] Now uses the iPod's podcast menu for podcasts
* Fixed: 'All supported files' showing all filetypes in Open Files dialog
* Fixed: Esc key not working in Credits & Winamp tabs of About Box
* Fixed: Long filepaths corrupted when opening Winamp via Explorer context menu
* Fixed: Oversized preference pages with large DPI setting
* Fixed: Recurrence of multiple instances bug (previously fixed in 5.3)
* Fixed: Selecting 'No' for 'Physically Remove' prompt removes playlist/mldb item
* Fixed: TV button in video window not working
* Fixed: Windows showing if switching from modern to classic skin in minimized state
* Fixed: [ASX Loader] Recursive playlist loading & case-insensitive element matching
* Fixed: [ASX Loader] Handling of entries embedded within a REPEAT tag
* Fixed: [dsp_sps] DEP incompatibility
* Fixed: [gen_ff] "Can't unload script while in script" error when switching skins
* Fixed: [gen_ff] Remember ML size when switching between Modern & Classic skins
* Fixed: [gen_ff] Transparent docked toolbars for skins using alpha-blending
* Fixed: [gen_ff] 10% opacity not applying on skins that add items to rt-click menu
* Fixed: [gen_jumpex] Crash when loading multiple files via Explorer context menu
* Fixed: [gen_jumpex] Remove Duplicate Entries action broken in pledit
* Fixed: [gen_ml] %playcount% returning Comment on drag+drop from ML to pledit
* Fixed: [gen_ml] Shift+Insert (New Playlist) and F1 (Help) keyboard shortcuts
* Fixed: [in_cdda] CDDB crash when attempting to rip a CD in a 2nd instance of Winamp
* Fixed: [in_flac] General FLAC Editor quirks (Comments field, Enter key, etc)
* Fixed: [in_flac] 24bit files don't play when 'Allow 24bit' setting is disabled
* Fixed: [in_mod] Fadeout value goes below 0.0 sec in in_mod config
* Fixed: [in_mod] Interpolator 'division by zero' crash bug
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Crash on some mp3's with corrupt ID3v2 extended headers (rare)
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Crash on loading corrupt id3v2.3 tags of a later revision
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Negative bitrate in File Info for long mp3's
* Fixed: [in_mp4] Glitch when modifying metadata on playing track
* Fixed: [in_mp4/libmp4v2] Memory leaks
* Fixed: [in_wave/libsndfile] Crash on invalid .au files
* Fixed: [in_wm] Garbage characters when editing filetypes in config
* Fixed: [in_wm] Potential DRM lockup issue
* Fixed: [ml_disc] 0 byte temp files not deleted after ripping
* Fixed: [ml_disc] Double-click drive icon in Rip & Burn not selecting tree item
* Fixed: [ml_disc] Crash when using <trackartist> in playlist filename generation
* Fixed: [ml_disc] Drag+drop from Audio CD view to Playlist Editor
* Fixed: [ml_local] (no album) items adding to Album count in Artist pane
* Fixed: [ml_local] isempty and =0 queries now return same results
* Fixed: [ml_local] Add dir to 'Watch Folders' path truncated to 64 characters
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Inserting extra period in filename when transcoding to mp4/aac
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Sending ansi-converted titles instead of Unicode
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Transfer caption building when Artist metadata is empty
* Fixed: [ml_wire] Subscription Updates setting always resets to 'Never'
* Fixed: [pmp_ipod] Potential incompatability issues with latest version of iTunes
* Fixed: [pmp_p4s] 'Error In Insert' when transferring to some P4S devices
* Fixed: [pmp_usb] Slow Winamp startup when external usb drive connected
* Fixed: [vis_milk] Milkdrop DEP incompatibility
* Misc: Winamp Remote is now an installer option (ml_orb.dll)
* Misc: Moved drawing engine out of gen_ff to tataki.dll
* Misc: Moved freetype font renderer out of gen_ff to freetype.wac
* Misc: Removed deprecated .LNG Language file support
* Misc: Removed db.w5s (replaced by new Gracenote database system)
* Misc: Removed Station Info window and Prefs page
* Misc: Removed unicows.lib/dll as we have officially dropped support for Win9x
* Updated: Gracenote MusicID/CDDB v2.5
* Updated: libpng 1.2.20
* Updated: [enc_aacplus] Coding Technologies aacPlus Encoder v8.1.0
* Updated: [gen_jumpex] JTFE v0.99.2
* Updated: [in_flac] FLAC 1.2.1
* Updated: [in_mp3] FhG Decoder v4.10
* Updated: [in_vorbis] libvorbis 1.2.0
Screenshots of new Bento Skin:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
-Alas, Winamp 5.5 is no longer compatible with Win9x (Win 98/ME),
and all support for those OS'es has now been discontinued.
Win2k/XP/2003/Vista are all supported.
-Re: Album Art support
Lookup order: embedded (in tags), %album%.jpg/gif/png, *.nfo file, cover.*, folder.*
Note: The cache is the art*.* files in the "Plugins\ml" folder
(art.dat, art.idx, art60.dat/idx, art90.dat/idx, art120.dat/idx).
Downloader access via: Art icon rt-click menu, unified file info & pmp edit info box
Currently saves as %album%.jpg in the containing folder.
Art retrieval criteria and saving isn't configurable... yet!
ie. you can't get it to look in a specific dir or save as anything other than %album%.jpg
nor can you get it to save as embedded art in the file tags.
-mp3surround is playback only for now (no encoding).
You can find tracks at www.all4mp3.com/music/
-Playlist Generator (rt. click ml/pledit items > Play tracks similar to):
1) Manual config via: Prefs > Plugins > Media Library > ml_plg.dll > config
2) Initial Scan may take some time. The more files in your mldb, the longer...
3) Obeys the Play/Enqueue as default action in ML Prefs
4) Database stored in Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote (along with all other GN/CDDB files).
If getting "error initializing" messages, you'll need to delete cddbplm.pdb/idx/gcf files.
-AVS is still the default Vis plugin.
To switch to the new Milkdrop2 plugin, go to Prefs (Ctrl+K) and select it.
Remember to configure to taste first, eg, framerates & fullscreen mode.
-Re: Ratings column in Media Library
If the column is made thin enough, numbers are shown again instead of Star Ratings.
More tweaks available by using Ctrl+Shift+R dialog in ML tracks pane (note that this is an incomplete dialog and clicking apply will not re-open the dialog until you restart winamp)
-The Download Manager in Bento browser Media Monitor has no config yet.
Currently auto saves to "My Documents\My Music" and adds to the mldb.
-Re: Skinned ml scrollbars
For support, Wasabi version needs to be specified as 1.3 in skin.xml, eg.
Also note that v1.3 skins no longer use the internal freetype font renderer.
-More Information About Language Packs
1) On upgrades, some components (parent branches and child items) might appear in bold text, even though they were installed previously. This is because either the item name has changed and is not listed in your current install.ini file, or you selected a different language in the installer.
2) Be sure to pay attention to the 'Get the Most out of Winamp' page.
3) Re: Winamp Remote
The 'Remote Media' item under 'Choose Components' is just ml_orb.dll
The 'Winamp Remote' item (14.1mb download) on the 'Get the Most out of Winamp' screen is the full Orb package. This is the same as what was downloaded before, when you went to: ML > Online Services > Winamp Remote and signed up/downloaded the software. Note: this item will be checkmarked even if you unchecked 'Remote Media' on the components page (will hopefully be addressed for the next release).
-New CDDB features may be a bit buggy (eg. genre saves with "General" at front)
-Delete Art doesn't work in Alt+3 for embedded art (until next release).
Note: you can remove embedded art by deleting the ID3v2 tag....
-ml_autotag might return wrong results for some tracks if songs are not in the online Gracenote fingerprint database. Alas, there's not much that we can do about this....
-Switching between language packs or from/to English (US) can lead to some of the online related media library tree items (effectively ml_orb and ml_online) losing their position and dropping to the bottom of the tree.
-Column sorting order is broken for pmp_usb devices (info
-No 'Burn' button when system IMAPI service is disabled (info
-Some Language Packs might not be accurate translations... *
-MPG videos might display the wrong length in pledit/ml (eg. 1:19 shows as 9:39) *
-Stereo indicator, bitrate & freq don't display in main player area and/or Audio is always the active ml view on Winamp restarts with French & Spanish Language Packs (info
-Collapse/Expand Playlist in Bento skin doesn't respect 'Show Album Art' setting *
-ASX Parser converts all stream links in .asx playlists to upper case *
-Winamp/in_mp3 crashes on some mp3's (when playing/adding to playlist, or scanning Watch Folders, or using Auto-Tagger or Playlist Generator, etc) (info-1
-Shift+Enter hotkey for ML Playlist tree item Plays/Replaces instead of Enqueues (when "Plays selected items" ML setting is active) *
-Gracenote/MusicID features not using Winamp's proxy setting *
-Installer (Winamp Setup section) might reset position of desktop icons *
= Fixed internally
Please report any 5.5 bugs in the Bug Reports
Make sure your report is complete, according to the sticky threads at the top, ie.
Clean install, no 3rd-party plugins, full step-by-step method of reproduction, relevant system specs, exact error messages, screenshots, which skin (one of Classic, Modern, or Bento only, or all three), links to sample files, etc.
If error reports, screenshots, sample files, etc are smaller than 100kb, then please attach them to your post here. Otherwise, please upload to one of stashbox.org (recommended), mediafire.com, or sendspace.com and post the url here (no rapidshare or imageshack or similar links please).
Note that incomplete/lame bug reports may be totally ignored.
Commonly requested features taken from all of the 5.36/5.5 beta threads.
Feedback is welcome, though there's no need to keep making requests for any of these:
- Bento skin: Vertically resizable main player area
- Bento skin: Options to hide Info Pane / tabs / etc
- Bento skin: Options to detach vid/vis/other windows
- Bento skin: Options to add/edit tabs or rearrange windows/components
- Gecko/other engine for Bento browser (instead of IE)
- Winamp Modern skin: AlbumArt in Notifier
- Winamp Modern skin: Any other missing new Bento features
- Album Art window for classic skins (if possible?)
- Lang pack updates for other locale translations
- Same scrollbar/buttons for Playlist as ML
- BPM column for Local Media views
- Select/Edit fields in Mass Autotagger results before updating
- Publisher (or other fields) shown in AlbumArt Columns and/or Details view
- Anything else already covered in the above notes, eg. AlbumArt (in)completion
- Any other items already on the official Wishlist
- Watch this space for more
Updates & Extras:
in_mp3 patch for Winamp 5.5 | Mirror
This update fixes/addresses the following issues:
-Crashing/lockups on some mp3's with corrupt id3v2 tags (info)
-ID3v2 tag not showing when ID3v1 tag reading is disabled in config
-Reading of metadata where more than one ID3v2 tag exists
-Deleting Lyrics3 tag in Alt+3 Editor also deletes ID3v1 tag
-Handling of ID3v2 with bad version/revision #'s
-MPEG Info not showing in Alt+3 for files with large ID3v2 tags
-Support for reading ALBUM ARTIST field if TPE2 not present
-Other misc. issues, mainly embedded album art related...
-Plus: Better optimization for older Pentium Pro/2/3 cpu's.
Note, if the Format Converter (Transcoder) no longer works after applying the above patch,
then you can use the slightly older first update patch instead [download],
which only includes some fixes for crashes with corrupt id3v2 tags,
but has none of the other fixes from the newer patch above.
Color Editor 2.1.1
Check this thread for the latest installer - some feedback on Vista is required!.
Winamp Essentials Pack v5.5a
* Added Winamp3-style Playlist Sidecar for Winamp Modern skin
* Added DrO's Time Restore & Autoplay v2.1.1
* Updated Lite-n (gen_nopro) to v1.4 (info)
* Updated Nullsoft Waveform Wrapper to v1.01 (info)
* Updated Skins In Submenu to v1.9.1 (More Info)
* Updated enc_vorbis to v1.1 for better localization support
* Removed deprecated ml_lite_n plugin (installer now auto deletes this on upgrades)
* Note: Language files are still incomplete (more info here)
* Otherwise, same as 5.35 EP
* Full Changelog
* More Info & Mirrors
One For Nunzio plugin v3.11
You'll need this update if you ever installed gen_nunzio v1.2x to create a "List of Plugins"
and are now getting a crash in vis_nsfs.dll when trying to access: Prefs > Plugins > Visualization.
Playlist Sidecar for Winamp Modern Skin
Official Winamp Bento Color Themes Thread
Winamp Skin Development Pack
Old Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 3 thread
Old Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 2 thread
Old Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 1 thread
Old Winamp 5.36 Beta Preview thread
Old Winamp 5.35 Released thread