File type association issue under WinVista x64
While I do enjoy using new Winamp 5.5, there's one issue I'd like to see it fixed in next release.
No matter how many times I reinstall Winamp 5.5, default file types (such as mp3, of course) never gets associated with Winamp automatically on my WinVista x64 system.
Yes, I am aware that I can just go to Control Panel and choose Default Programs to manually associate whatever files types with Winamp, but I am talking about the Winamp's internal bug.
And same problem is still there with Winamp 5.51 beta.
Here's the precedures to reproduce the issue under WinVista x64.
1. Run Winamp 5.5 lite installer
2. Choose only Winamp (required) and Multimedia Engine (including all componets under Multimedia Engine) to be installed.
3. When Winamp Setup started, select preferred skin (Winamp Classic, in my case)
4. In next step, choose preferred file types associations w/ 'Show Winamp in Folder context menu in Windows Explorer' checked.
5. In next step, fill out personal information and choose 'Finish' to complete the setup.
6. Now start Winamp, and double click any mp3 file to see if it is associated with Winamp. (In my case, WMP starts up when I double click mp3 files).
Please, fix this annoying bug in next release.
One thing I've noticed is that files which are not originally associated with Windows Media Player (such as .flac files) do seem to get associated with Winamp well. Only files that are associated with WMP stays with WMP even after Winamp installation.
Last edited by ssohn; 11th December 2007 at 14:23.