Old 5th April 2008, 02:48   #1
swoggby2

playlist generator failed to initialize

i have the exact same problem with the playlist generator. i noticed though, for me it will start to activate the songs on step 4 and when it gets through about 6000 songs it then gives me the repeating error just like described above.

i really would like to use this plugin please advise when fixed.
swoggby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 17:10   #2
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
You need to delete the Playlist Generator database and start a new scan from fresh.
With Winamp closed, delete the following 2 files:

Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.pdb & cddbplm.idx

The path will either be the %AppData%\Winamp or %ProgramFiles%\Winamp folder.
The error message should not occur again after this.

Now, it has to complete the scan for the first time before it can make the playlist. So I suggest doing it manually.
go into Prefs -> Plugins -> Media Library -> Playlist Generator (ml_plg) -> config
Click on the scan button there and wait till it is done.. Then close all the windows and do the right click option.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 17:27   #3
sunk818

Don't forget elists.db as well.
sunk818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 16:54   #4
pghots

I have the same problem but when i go to look for the files you guys mentioned i didnt find them...all there is are files ending with *.dll
pghots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 18:55   #5
jazzs3quence

Send a message via Yahoo to jazzs3quence
is it possible to prevent this from happening? i get the playlist generator working fine for a few days and then, suddenly, not, and i get the "failed to initialize" error. i have over 30k files, so rebuilding the database is time- and resource-consuming, in addition to being annoying. now, my files are all on an external usb hard drive, so i understand if there are some environmental issues but, at risk of sounding overly obnoxious, itunes genius never did this...(no, in itunes, the entire library would get corrupted...)
jazzs3quence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 11:07   #6
jerybis

Same error with 29K files and 150 Gb

Hi,

I have got the exact same error. It is several month I am trying to make it work but always the same error : playlist failed to initiate.

I use winamp 5.56, 30k files and around 150 Gb. The external hard drive is connected through USB. I get an error with the computer connected with USB as well as with any computer network connected.

Would be great to get it solve.

Cheers,
Jer.
jerybis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 15:12   #7
jazzs3quence

Re: Same error with 29K files and 150 Gb

Quote:
Originally posted by jerybis
Hi,

I have got the exact same error. It is several month I am trying to make it work but always the same error : playlist failed to initiate.

I use winamp 5.56, 30k files and around 150 Gb. The external hard drive is connected through USB. I get an error with the computer connected with USB as well as with any computer network connected.

Would be great to get it solve.

Cheers,
Jer.
I think maybe that's our problem -- the USB drive thing. possibly if there's a glitch in the connection between the computer and the drive, it knocks the database out of whack.

actually, the fact that you have a similar environment gives me a couple ideas -- I'm going to see if the drive shuts itself off automatically or if there's anything else that might be intentionally (at least as far as the computer is concerned) causing a break in the connection with the drive...
Old 29th August 2009, 15:23   #8
jazzs3quence

here's what i just tried. time will tell if this works...

(note: i'm using windows 7, which may be pretty similar if you're using vista, but anything less and i don't know if you'll have these options but it might send you in the right general direction....)

open my computer, right click the usb drive, left click properties. select the Hardware tab, click the USB hard drive (for me it shows the description of the Western Digital HDD that is inside a USB enclosure), then click Properties. In the Device Properties, select the Policies tab.

I have two options: Quick removal (default) and Better Performance. Better Performance enables write caching but requires the "safely remove hardware" feature -- since i generally leave this drive on and connected all the time, I switched to Better Performance.

This change requires a reboot.

Check the power settings for USB devices -- make sure it is not set to turn USB devices off. For me, under Win 7 this is located in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power options. click Change plan settings, then Change Advanced Power Settings. Under USB settings I have a USB Selective Suspend setting which was Enabled. I switched this to Disabled.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:17   #9
aliteralmind

I'm having the same problem. Vista, winamp version 5.56 x86, about 14,000 songs.

After about two HOURS, it gets all the way to halfway through step 4 of 4, and then crashes. I'm pretty sure it's after it passes about 6,000 songs, as I've seen mentioned. This has happened about six times. Really frustrating.

This STINKS. It's the only reason I'm still using iTunes. In iTunes you don't have to think about this feature at all. It just works...and it's one of the most prominent features in the software. Just press the Genius button.

Even when the playlist generator does work properly in winamp, it is so strange that such an amazing feature--one that a direct competitor is trumpeting so loudly and SUCCESSFULLY--is so buried in the preferences. What is it, like six-to-ten clicks to get your playlist scanned?

There should be a auto playlist generator button in winamp, just like the genius button. I didn't even know winamp had this feature before last week!!!

Anyway, off my soapbox. :' )

Last edited by aliteralmind; 28th November 2009 at 18:42.
aliteralmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 18:39   #10
jazzs3quence

yeah, of course the problem with iTunes is you have to add new music to the library manually, wheras you can tell WinAmp to watch specific folders. I've had it working successfully for days, which only makes it more frustrating when i open it up and it doesn't work anymore. I'm still praying that someone will write a Pandora WinAmp plugin that uses Pandora's Music Genome Project to create playlists from your library based on a specific artist or song...so, like the Advanced Playlist Generator just not limited by Gracenote (which doesn't always find all the related stuff and sometimes finds stuff completely *un*related) and uses Pandora's engine instead.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:49   #11
k2u

Hi,

if you try to scan more than about 6000 titles, the database will get corrupt.

The reason is: Winamp gets bigger and bigger and it arrives a amount of 1,6 Gib, which is the maximum for a 32bit application.

The workaraound:

start the scan, use a alarm clock ;-)
after lets say 3000 files, pause the scan, close winamp, restart winamp and restart the scan for the next 3000 files.

Alternatively you can open the taskmanager and look after the amount of memory, winamp is using.

The solution: I don´t know, but perhaps somebody here has contact to the coders...
k2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 19:12   #12
jazzs3quence

Quote:
Originally posted by k2u
Hi,

if you try to scan more than about 6000 titles, the database will get corrupt.

The reason is: Winamp gets bigger and bigger and it arrives a amount of 1,6 Gib, which is the maximum for a 32bit application.

The workaraound:

start the scan, use a alarm clock ;-)
after lets say 3000 files, pause the scan, close winamp, restart winamp and restart the scan for the next 3000 files.

Alternatively you can open the taskmanager and look after the amount of memory, winamp is using.

The solution: I don´t know, but perhaps somebody here has contact to the coders...
that works every time? it doesn't get corrupted again some time later? if that works, i'll totally make the extra effort to get it to work and be stable.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:49   #13
k2u

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzs3quence
that works every time?
I don´t know...

But till now, it works.

You can backup the files, in case of another corruption, just copy it back.
k2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 22:07   #14
mzpresto

Same Here :(

I am a massive fan of Winamp, but this bug sucks

Firstly I couldn't figure out how to use it and it crashed just doing the scan, then I had to task manager out of Winamp and when I restarted it did the scan.

It worked but I didn't have much in my media library so I added more files. I tried to use the feature on the new files but couldn't figure out how to get the Gracenote plugin to scan them? Is it supposed to be automatic for new added files?

Eventually I got the dreaded fail to initialize error, so deleted the files mentioned above and I'm currently rescanning everything from scratch! Shame cause it could be really cool!
mzpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 02:10   #15
aliteralmind

This is the biggest problem with WinAmp. Especially considering that I'm only still using iTunes at all because of Genius.

Fix this already!
Old 19th December 2009, 11:13   #16
zer0red

Guys it's possible to install the old predixis music plugin. You have to find it online (musicmixer 1.8.1b.exe) but it allows you to make playlists of any size and to specify how similar you want your songs to be, etc. It really is better than the winamp pl generator, plus it actually works.

To try to get the winamp pl generator to work, I have uninstalled winamp, deleted winamp folders in program files and app data, and reinstalled adding no skins and no plugins. The furthest I have gotten is that it will scan my entire library successfully, but then crash winamp when I try to play a similar song, and henceforth it will fail to initialize. I deleted the database and am trying again, even though I have predixis. There's no reason it should fail on a clean install.

Last edited by zer0red; 19th December 2009 at 11:57.
zer0red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 15:46   #17
jazzs3quence

Quote:
Originally posted by zer0red
Guys it's possible to install the old predixis music plugin. You have to find it online (musicmixer 1.8.1b.exe)
you wouldn't happen to have a link or remember a source? everything i'm finding is a standalone app as opposed to a plugin. for that matter, if you have the installer, i have a server you can upload it to and i can mirror it from there.
Old 19th December 2009, 21:39   #18
zer0red

Okay I finally got the playlist generator to work after pausing it every couple thousand songs and backing up the library, restarting winamp and continuing to scan.

I noticed too that while scanning that there is a memory leak, causing winamp to use over a gig of memory.

Now I have the playlist generator set to make playlists 100 songs long, but it usually only make them about 20 songs long. None of these problems exist in the version of predixis that I am using, which is actually 1.2 and not 1.8.1b like I said in the previous post. Hopefully we'll be able to set up a working link to the plugin, as it seems to have disappeared from the internet.
zer0red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:38   #19
jazzs3quence

hey all...if you're interested in the MusicIP plugin zer0ed is referring to, here's the download link. i'm running a review of it over at my blog
PHP Code:
http://jazzsequence.com 
on monday but i figured i'd give everyone that's been in the same boat as me first crack at downloading an alternative to winamp's playlist generator if you wanted to.

PHP Code:
http://www.jazzsequence.com/downloads/musicip 
i've tried it and it works well. pretty similar to playlist generator, and if you go to the original site
PHP Code:
http://www.predixis.com/Predixis_plugins.htm 
it says that it was (at one time) bundled with Winamp...

edit: sorry for the php tags, but it seemed to be the only way i could post links without having them stripped from the post...
Old 28th December 2009, 18:45   #20
jazzs3quence

here's the link to the post which includes a review and a sort of overview of how to use the plugin
PHP Code:
http://www.jazzsequence.com/geek-of-technology/musicip-handles-huge-mp3-libraries-better-than-winam/ 
Old 28th December 2009, 23:22   #21
aliteralmind

I've tried this three times already, MusicIP Mixer, I mean. After running the exe, nothing shows up in my WinAmp preferences, neither under Music Library, nor Plugins-->Music Library. I've even restarted my computer before trying again.

:' (
Old 29th December 2009, 04:03   #22
jazzs3quence

Quote:
Originally posted by aliteralmind
I've tried this three times already, MusicIP Mixer, I mean. After running the exe, nothing shows up in my WinAmp preferences, neither under Music Library, nor Plugins-->Music Library. I've even restarted my computer before trying again.
assuming it's the plugin that i posted on my blog (as opposed to what you can find easily by googling, which is not the plugin but rather the standalone app), not sure what's up with that. i don't have any specific experience with the plugin other than that zer0ed suggested it, and we've both used it. the system i have it running on is using windows 2k3, which for all intents and purposes acts like windows xp/2000, so the musicip plugin may or may not work with vista/win7. other than that, i'm pretty sure the version of winamp i'm using is the latest from the site, but it's possible it's an older version and that could be a problem, too. if you're running the latest winamp and have xp/2000, i can check my winamp version and see if i'm mistaken and actually have an older version. everything worked like a charm for me /shrug
Old 29th December 2009, 16:12   #23
aliteralmind

Yes, the plugin on your blog. Windows 7, WinAmp 5.57 x86, 3gb ram, ....

Any other info I can give?
Old 29th December 2009, 16:34   #24
jazzs3quence

just checked my version which is 5.56, and i doubt .01 version iteration would make a difference so i'm guessing it's the windows 7 platform. as such....maybe try deleting the folders from your winamp plugins directory to make sure it's gone (i'm assuming the directory structure was created) and then run the installer in compatibility mode for xp. if that doesn't work, it may be a UAC thing, so maybe try running the installer as an administrator (right click and Run as Administrator). those are my ideas. if i have time i can play around with it on my main machines (which run win 7) and see what i can find out.
Old 13th January 2010, 02:27   #25
Gamesoul Master

It's worth noting... I too have gone down this path (with my extremely large music collection), and have hit this same problem of the old plugin not working. Except I see exactly what is happening.

After you install it and try running Winamp, the plugin gets deleted out of the directory. I actually watched it happen. So that is the reason it's not working... lol. As a note, I'm running Windows 7 and the latest version of Winamp. I hate having to use the standalone version or an older version of Winamp to have this feature. But... we shall see if me (or anybody else) can figure out how to solve this issue.
Gamesoul Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:02   #26
Traxx01

Just thought I should let you know I got it to work in Windows7.

Downloaded, turned off Winamp. Installed.
Started Winamp. I then had a MusicIP Mix as the last entry in my Media Library (left panel). When I clicked on that, it said I should register my library.
But there was no way of doing that, not in the Media Library, and not from the plugin-configuration.

What I did was to go to my media library, top (all), right-click and send it to MusicIP Mix. This gave the message "as you have not yet registered your music..." and gave me the option of doing so.
And of course, I did

It took some time (I have 90.000+ audio-files), but it was quicker than the gracenote-plugin. It found 88.000 of the tracks, have not figured out what tracks was excluded. (FLAC or APE? Or does it exclude tracks that appear more than once?)

It seems to be working like a charm, although I agree that the how the app connects and concludes when is suggesting tracks, sometimes eludes me.
Traxx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 21:48   #27
Botteknotten

This worked for me:

1. Exit Winamp

2. Go to:
c:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\

3. Rename "ml_plg.dll" to "ml_plg.dll.backup"

4. Start Winamp and make sure the plugin is unloaded!!!

5. Exit Winamp

6. Rename "ml_plg.dll.backup" to "ml_plg.dll"

7. Start Winamp
Botteknotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 23:25   #28
aliteralmind

For the time being, I am giving up on WinAmp. I'm still going to use it for utilities such as Auto-Tagging, but until this issue is fixed, I'm considering iTunes my primary music player.

This stinks.

:' (
Old 18th March 2010, 20:59   #29
Trickstar

I did most things advised, and got rid of the error message. No it loads just fine, scans just fine, and when I hit "Play similar tracks": NOTHING happens.

This blows, the more features you pack into that mp3-player, the more old features are damaged collaterally. Focus on your primary qualities and stick to them.
Trickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 01:09   #30
aliteralmind

> This blows, the more features you pack into that
> mp3-player, the more old features are damaged
> collaterally. Focus on your primary qualities and
> stick to them.

Here here.

Bloat bloat bloat. A great program crippled by trying to do too much.
Old 30th May 2010, 01:04   #31
beatsandmelody

Thanks for the link to MusicIP mix. Strange thing, the official website doesn't say anywhere how much the pro version costs. I even clicked on the link to upgrade and it took me to the page of whoever owns the transaction service itself.

Anyway, scanning now.

re: the bloatware comment, it's too bad that AOL bought Winamp. AOL hasn't been relevant in over 10 years. They need to either 1) go open source [just look at Android!] or 2) find a company more interested in funding the program.

Then Winamp could make Android phone's that have much better Music capabilities (specifically to rival the iPod functionality in an iPhone).

Additionally, Winamp would have better support. Don't get me wrong, forums are great but... funded support can be much better.
beatsandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 21:21   #32
SalzwedelJohn

Playlist error

I was adding songs to my playlist last night & instead of one song at a time I tried to copy an entire cd (12 songs) at once. Suddenly, my playlist went away & had to reboot the computer. I tried the ALT+E key and PL will turn on/off but no playlist appears. Winamp continues to playout my playlist with the current song listed on the bottom bar of the screen, but can't seem to get the entire list to open.
I'm really new at this and have been reading the FAQ, but alot of this seems foreign to me.
Thanks for any help.
SalzwedelJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 22:53   #33
cloudssky

Botteknotten's way worked for me! Thanks! Simple and easy :]
cloudssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports