Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 8th December 2000, 20:00   #1
smoore

I have scoured the forums for an answer to my problem, but have not found a solution. The problem is when I try and tune in a station on shoutcast.com Windows-Me ask me to confirm the download of the pls file. Why? This is also a problem at mp3.com. Keep in mind that I don't have this problem when I request a .pls file from a few other websites. All I want is for Winamp to play the music directly from the shoutcast link. No popup windows and open file hassles. There are more than one of us having this exact problem, and I think we're getting frustrated. Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 8th December 2000, 20:23   #2
weed

Just click OPEN FROM CURRENT LOCATION mate, thats all ya gotta do, uncheck the always ask this question box too
weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2000, 21:06   #3
smoore

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weed:
Just click OPEN FROM CURRENT LOCATION mate, thats all ya gotta do, uncheck the always ask this question box too <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply, but it's not the solution I was looking for. All I want to do is click on a station link and let my default Winamp player open and play the station. I don't want to have to "save file as" or anything else involved in that process. I also might add that WindowsMe grey's out the "Alway ask before..." option when opening that specific file type, which if I wanted to change I would have to edit my registry. Too much of a hassle. Just a reminder, I don't have this problem everywhere, just at shoutcast.com, mp3.com, and a few others. There are sites that work exactly as they should with the same .pls file extension - I click on the link and Winamp opens the broadcast, no "save as" or "Always ask before..." required. I'm wondering if it's possible that the problem is with my OS, Winamp, and the type of servers being used to broadcast. Any ideas?

thanks
Old 9th December 2000, 00:15   #4
Highway 420

Send a message via ICQ to Highway 420
Pain in the ass, isn't it? This is a documented problem with IE 5.5. There is a way around it (at least it worked for me). Try these steps:

1) Open Winamp and go to preferences (CTRL+P). Under "File types" uncheck the box next to "Register types on Winamp start". Then go to "Agent" and uncheck "Enable Winamp Agent" and "Maintain File Associations".

2) Go to "My Computer" on your desktop, then go to View/Folder Options. Scroll down until you find "Winamp Playlist File", then edit that so it becomes audio/mpeg (it's probably set at audio/mpegurl, just delete the url part and save).

That should take care of the problem. Some have had to do this over and over again, and hopefully Microshaft will fix this problem with an update one of these days.

------------------
Highway 420 Radio

ShoutClub
Highway 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2000, 04:34   #5
smoore

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Highway 420:
Pain in the ass, isn't it? This is a documented problem with IE 5.5. There is a way around it (at least it worked for me). Try these steps:

1) Open Winamp and go to preferences (CTRL+P). Under "File types" uncheck the box next to "Register types on Winamp start". Then go to "Agent" and uncheck "Enable Winamp Agent" and "Maintain File Associations".

2) Go to "My Computer" on your desktop, then go to View/Folder Options. Scroll down until you find "Winamp Playlist File", then edit that so it becomes audio/mpeg (it's probably set at audio/mpegurl, just delete the url part and save).

That should take care of the problem. Some have had to do this over and over again, and hopefully Microshaft will fix this problem with an update one of these days.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the response. I've seen something similar to your suggestion posted elsewhere, and it is one option I have tried. But, I'm not finding the information that you refer to in step #2 of your explanation. I would like to remind you and anyone else reading this post that my operating system in Windows-Me and to view the file types you will need to open My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Type/Winamp Playlist File.

The problem I'm running into with your suggestion is after selecting "Winamp Playlist File" there are no options available for changing anything other than the following:
1. change the default application associated with the .pls extention.
2. change the default icon associated with Winamp.
3. delete the registered file type.
4. edit the actions associated with Winamp. Which currently are a)Enqueue in Winamp; b)Play in Winamp (set as default action); c)Add to Winamp's bookmark list; d)open. For everyone's info I have tried setting each one of these options as the default action when executing Winamp and nothing works to remedy the problem.
5. edit the action and/or application used to perform the actions discussed in #4. i.e. change the file association and action to be performed.
6. there are three options I can associate with each action: a)confirm open after download (not checked); b)always show extention (not checked); c)browse in same window (this option is grayed out).
7. remove all options associated with the application.

I would also like to remind everyone that this problem only occurs on shoutcast.com, mp3.com, and a few others. There are websites that have links to .pls file types that don't require me to confirm the download in order to play the music. Again, this makes me wonder if it is the server these domains are using, or at least something that is not related to my OS. You know? Why does one site work and the other doesn't?

thanks
Old 9th December 2000, 05:07   #6
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Well all we can tell you is it works fine in versions previous to ME or IE 5.5

The server is not the problem, it has something to do with some new bugs added to IE 5.5, there is documentation at microsoft about it.

Some have also suggested just reinstalling Winamp.

The reason you have to download the file in the first place is so that Winamp will know to open, the actual stream address is located within the PLS file.

I installed IE 5.5 on Win98 (I know, you're on ME) and didn't see any of these problems, but I also don't use Winamp agent (Winampa.exe) which seems to be the cause of this.

------------------
KXRM
http://www.shoutclub.com/
"Broadcasting with the Web in Mind"
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2000, 18:12   #7
smoore

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KXRM:
Well all we can tell you is it works fine in versions previous to ME or IE 5.5

The server is not the problem, it has something to do with some new bugs added to IE 5.5, there is documentation at microsoft about it.

Some have also suggested just reinstalling Winamp.

The reason you have to download the file in the first place is so that Winamp will know to open, the actual stream address is located within the PLS file.

I installed IE 5.5 on Win98 (I know, you're on ME) and didn't see any of these problems, but I also don't use Winamp agent (Winampa.exe) which seems to be the cause of this.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried reinstalling Winamp on two occasions which did nothing to solve the problem. I have disabled Winamp Agent and this didn't work. I have also tried a complete reinstall of IE 5.5 and this didn't work. I would also like to add that trying to install a previous version of IE to the one that you may be using now is impossible unless you want to reinstall your OS. Although, when you install IE, Microsoft gives you the option of making previously installed version compatible with the updated version you are wanting to install. Whether this works or not is another question. I've been looking for my previous installation forever. I'd also like to know to what Microsoft address I need to send my computer to, obviously they know what's best for it - not me (sarcasm).

There is one point I would like to stress in this matter. There are websites that have links to .pls files that don't require me to confirm the download in order to play the music. It's as simple as clicking the link and Winamp opening the station, no confirmation necessary.

I'm not knocking Winamp or Shoutcast, both are great products and services. I'm just trying to understand why.

And if you have the link to the Microsoft documentation concerning this bug please post it. I searched their site, but wasn't able to find anything.

thanks everybody
Old 10th December 2000, 01:07   #8
IBC-Radio.com

Send a message via ICQ to IBC-Radio.com Send a message via AIM to IBC-Radio.com
I myself uses UltraPlayer to listen to streams. I leave Winamp as the player to stream. I also get the downloading screan when trying to listen with UltraPlayer. I am on Win98 SE+ with IE5.5

------------------
GT McCulloch
www.ibc-radio.com
56K Stereo
24K Stereo
Internet Broadcasting Corporation!
IBC-Radio.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2000, 01:12   #9
IBC-Radio.com

Send a message via ICQ to IBC-Radio.com Send a message via AIM to IBC-Radio.com
The above two links to my streams are pointing to my IP:Port. The ones in this reply are pointing to a .pls file. See what one loads, and what one requires a download.

------------------
GT McCulloch
www.ibc-radio.com
56K Stereo
24K Stereo
Internet Broadcasting Corporation!
IBC-Radio.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2000, 02:41   #10
Jay
Moderator Alumni

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smoore:
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried reinstalling Winamp on two occasions which did nothing to solve the problem. I have disabled Winamp Agent and this didn't work. I have also tried a complete reinstall of IE 5.5 and this didn't work. I would also like to add that trying to install a previous version of IE to the one that you may be using now is impossible unless you want to reinstall your OS. Although, when you install IE, Microsoft gives you the option of making previously installed version compatible with the updated version you are wanting to install. Whether this works or not is another question. I've been looking for my previous installation forever. I'd also like to know to what Microsoft address I need to send my computer to, obviously they know what's best for it - not me (sarcasm).

There is one point I would like to stress in this matter. There are websites that have links to .pls files that don't require me to confirm the download in order to play the music. It's as simple as clicking the link and Winamp opening the station, no confirmation necessary.

I'm not knocking Winamp or Shoutcast, both are great products and services. I'm just trying to understand why.

And if you have the link to the Microsoft documentation concerning this bug please post it. I searched their site, but wasn't able to find anything.

thanks everybody
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason other sites may be working, is because they are probably using a different MIME configuration for the PLS files or none, some webservers are configured differently from others, some webservers send the file as a download if their is no Mime type configured, which could be the reason why they work while shoutcast doesn't.

In ME can you change the MIME type?
If not just try Deleting registered File Type
and then re-registering it through Winamp, by selecting it in the file types screen.

------------------
KXRM
http://www.shoutclub.com/
"Broadcasting with the Web in Mind"
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support