Old 30th April 2000, 02:23   #1
Kinda_confused

I'm using the latest version of Winamp, with the built-in 1.5 CD plugin, but I find that when a track completes on a cd, it briefly continues onto the next track before the playlist advances, causing the track to start again. This results in a brief skip or repeat in the first 2 seconds of each track. What could be the problem and what is the recommended solution?

Thanks
Old 30th April 2000, 03:21   #2
Tom

The problem: It is a weird little problem with the CD plugin.

The solution: If your CD-ROM supports DAE (Digital Audio Extraction) then use the CD Reader plugin.
http://www.url*****~copah/CDReader.htm
What this does is transfers the data off the CD then plays that, where as the normal CD plugin tells the CD-ROM to send the audio straight to the soundcard. Using the CD Reader has a some advantages: Winamp's volume will work with CD's, visualizations will work, and so will the equilizer.

If you do use this once you install it to enable CDDB:
Open Winamp
Press Ctrl + P
Click on "Input"
Click on CD Reader then press configure
Click on the CDDB tab
Put a check next to "Use Internet CDDB"
and change the address to: cddb.cddb.com
Press "Okay" then "Close"

If you install and find out it doesn't work then delete the file called "in_CDReader.dll" in the plugin directory of Winamp.

Tom
http://players.shoutclub.net

[Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 11:56 PM]
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2000, 14:22   #3
Olivier

Hello,

this problem was already evoked 2 days ago. The CD Reader plugin doesn't change anything wat about the short second of blank skipping between tracks on CD.

Also, the Dudsoft Gapless Output plug-in, do nothing what about the CD-Playintg (and for the rest, seems to not work regularly with .mp3 too).

BTW, the included Nullsoft CD/LineIn plug-in allows also sampling possibilities (allowing vis to work with CD).

As well, I don't see any link concerning blank skipping/repeat of first second of a track, and the CDDB configuration you proposed.

I tried the CD Reader plugin, but sometimes the beginning of tracks nevertheless repeat.

As matter of fact, the simple CD Player of Microsoft (you know, C:\WINDOWS\CDPLAYER.EXE) works better to play CD, simply because it send commands to the CD player when it is necessary, and thus nothing between following tracks.

I think this problem could be easily solved in next release of Winamp, hopping guys read us.

Tom, I don't know if you are the Tom Pepper of the Winamp Team, or someone else. But continues to help everybody. And thanks for your day-to-day support.

Olivier, a first Winamp user...
Old 30th April 2000, 18:31   #4
Olivier

Sorry for mis-information... but by adding/removing a lot of times plug-ins in winamp, both CD plug-ins were at the same time in winamp/plugin dir.

What is now exactly true :

1/ only use one plug-in at the same time (remove in_cdda.dll from dir if using in_cdreader.dll)

2/ beginning of tracks are no more systematically repeated, but "sometimes" are lost (maybe an CD player HW bug)

3/ Dudsoft Gapless plug-in works with in_cdreader.dll but not with in_cdda.dll

4/ As in_cdreader.dll and in_cdda.dll are technically different, I think in_cdda.dll MUST BE unbugged, and allowing listening CD w/o doing any DAE.

5/ With in_cdreader.dll, it is possible to easily stream CD with shoutcast plug-in, because it seemed not possible with in_cdda.dll.

Error is human. Sorry Tom for my previous false affirmations.
Old 30th April 2000, 19:19   #5
Tom

Hey we all make mistakes Oliver, fortuntaly you were man enough to admit them (that is a big plus). As for who I am, I am someone else (nothing to do with the Winamp team, I used to be Whoda_H on the old boards), I know run a little site which I shamelessly plug in just about everypost. I might have some good stuff aroung the corner, I have been talking with someone from Ultraplayer (another MP3 player) and he might give me a program to test for fidelity among the MP3 players. I've already done a CPU consumption caparision and needless to say Winamp cleaned the floor with the other guys, but it will be interesting to see how Winamp stacks up to the others in quality.

Tom
Old 6th May 2000, 13:02   #6
jelloman

Well i got this problem after i installed the cdreader plugin. I uninstalled it because i did not like it much, and have ever since then had this problem with a 1 second jitter at the beginning of every track. i'll take a look at it and see if i figure anything out.
Old 6th May 2000, 13:26   #7
jelloman

well, i reinstalled the cdreader plugin...the gap in the sound is fixed, i like the fact that the eq and volume works with cd's, but reasons i don't like it are

1) only does CDDB as the track is played, not at load time
2) my add directory button in the playlist no longer works with CDs! that is a really big problem for me. only add files works
3) If winamp is loaded and a cd is inserted, nothing happens
4) if winamp is not loaded and a cd is inserted, it does not automatically start the Cd, but brings up the open file dialog box.
5) it broke Winamp in the first place! i didn't have a problem with cd's until after i tried this plugin. if i could figure out exactly every single file this plugin modified then maybe i can fix winamp, but as it is it is broken

nullsoft would do good to collaborate with whoever made this plugin and develop an official in_cdreader.dll, because this version sucks.
Old 6th May 2000, 13:44   #8
jelloman

well, i deleted in_cdreader.dll and have already deleted in_cdda.dll, and i just installed winamp 2.62 over my existing version (2.61) and all seems to work well. i would really like the cdreader plugin but for its bugs. oh well, i'm happy now...no more jitters (the funny thing is that i've tried reinstalling winamp many times before and it never fixed the problem, but this time it did)
Old 6th May 2000, 14:05   #9
jelloman

sorry..false alarm, still have the problem. seems it only pops up if i let a song play all the way through and let it advance to the next song by itself. if i advance to the end of a song by hand then the jitter doesn't happen. Any suggestions?
Old 6th May 2000, 21:39   #10
Olivier

At the moment I use :
- input: in_cdreader.dll (v1.82)
- output: SqrSoft Advanced Crossfading (v1.5b) (you have to try/play different parameters to well configure it)

And I have no more skip/jitt/clip/whatever problem by playing CD.
Old 7th May 2000, 02:21   #11
jelloman

yeah but i don't want to use cdreader, i just want to use the original in_cdda.dll plugin because cdreader seems buggy on my system. some info:

disc drive: toshiba 4.8x DVD
soundcard: SB Live
connection: using digital cable from disc drive to soundcard (not analog)
winamp version: 2.62

thanks in advance for helping me out
Old 7th May 2000, 03:31   #12
Tom

I understand if you don't want to use the CD Reader if it is buggy, but before you write it off check out the authors page: http://www.url*****~copah/CDReader.htm he has a newer version than what is offered here.
The only way I can see fixing this problem other than using that plugin would to be to import a in_cdda.dll from a previous version that did not do this. If memory serves me correctly this problem seemed to occur in the 2.50 series, so a in_cdda.dll from prior to that should play correctly. (Please note the should, I am not 100% confident in this plan it should work but I am not to sure when the bug developed.) Oh yeah and check out: http://winamps.da.ru for old versions if you want to try to move over a dll, actualy I talked about it here and offer some dlls and where and what to name them: http://players.shoutclub.net/winamp/cd2.php3 I have NOT been able to confirm results (I never listen to CD's, I guess you can be my guinea pig.)

Tom
Old 9th May 2000, 22:24   #13
jelloman

still no luck - yeah, i already tried the newest version of cdreader - still don't like it. some other things i tried

1) installed old in_cdda.dll (ver 1.0)
2) reinstalled new in_cdda.dell (ver 1.5)
3) deleted some lines in winamp.ini related to cdreader plugin

still messed up...to clarify what the problem is, seems like on audio CDs Winamp reads over the last few sectors of a track and starts into the next one until the playlist advances. When it does, it restarts the track from the beginning, creating a sort of stutter. I imagine that it's just a timing issue with the disc drive, they're not synchronized or something. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that i am using the digital output from the back of my DVD drive instead of the analog one? (although i seem to remember that it has worked fine in the past after i switched over to the digital out) in any case my analog cable is at home (i'm at school) so i'll have to wait till i can get it to test that out...too bad if that's the problem, because right now i have a digital signal all the way from the DVD drive to my speakers (of course it's converted to analog there)

[edit]

Extra info inserted by DJ-Egg : Jan 2001

These problems all relate to older versions of Winamp and CDReader plugin.
Do not use the CDReader 1.73 plugin from winamp.com/plugins section. It STILL hasn't been updated! Get the latest version from the author's site (see above).

The problem with tracks skipping the first couple of seconds was a bug in the old Nullsoft DirectSound Output plugin. Some people still report a similar problem with current out_ds.dll (WA v2.78) but as from v2.79 this will finally be replaced with peter's (PP) DS Output.

In the meantime, you can get the plugins here:

PP's replacement Crossfading DirectSound Output
PP's replacement WaveOut Plugin
PP's experimental DirectSound Output

WA2.78 users, try this patch:
Winamp 2.78 Update
(Updates both out_wave & out_ds plugins to peter's (PP) versions, also updates in_midi.dll & in_wave.dll to new pre v2.79 versions)

Further details: (READ THIS FIRST)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=68811

[/edit]
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support