Old 15th May 2000, 23:31   #1
malc0re

Send a message via ICQ to malc0re
Has anyone had this problem? I install Winamp and then add my files to the playlist. Once added I try and play a song, everything works fine until I restart. Then I get the error:

MMSYSTEM007 There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more programs, and then try again.

I get that when winamp is the 1st program loaded or the 50th, it doesn't matter when I load it. I still get the same message.
malc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2000, 01:45   #2
GhettoMosher

I got the same exact problem. Please email me if u find out to fix it. Or email me at bushx311@yahoo.com
Old 20th May 2000, 21:16   #3
Lux

It's happening to me as well, but only with MP2 & 3 files (midis are uneffected). What's strange is that it started suddenly - yesterday things were okay. I did a reinstall, but it didn't help. The files work okay on a different player.
Old 20th May 2000, 23:17   #4
Lux

I downloaded another copy of WinAmp today and tried another install, after uninstalling the copy I already had. Before doing the installation, I disabled my anti-virus and choose to configure everything in the installation myself. I disabled all the Internet-connected options of WinAmp, as well as almost all file extensions to be controlled by the program (I use WinAmp 99% of the time in playlist mode only, which still plays any audio files in my list - even if they default to another audio player).
At one point in the installation, I was prompted that WinAmp couldn't install a plug-in for Netscape. I chose to skip the file this time.
WinAmp now plays my MP2 & 3 files, and I'm getting a lot better performance with the midis (before, WinAmp occasionally slowed down and/or skipped with these files).
Sometimes WinAmp will "play" a midi file without sound - it doesn't lock up, just plays as if the audio was muted. But I need to clean up my playlist, because I've done renaming on a lot of these files. Hope this helps you...
Old 21st May 2000, 23:52   #5
Pillobox

malc0re, i was getting the same problem with that out of memory error. so i checked in the control panel/ system for any irq conflicts, which incidentally had none. i was stumped till i remembered in the bios settings (usually when your compuer starts up there is a little message saying pres del to go to setup or F1 or some other key) i could actually specify what irq my modem was using even though it's a winmodem. Voila there was my problem the modem was set to irq 5. I switched it to 3 and now it's fine. soundcards usually use irq 5, so just check for any conflicts, if you don't have any like i thought i didn't you have to change it in the bios.

Good luck
Pillobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2000, 00:59   #6
cessnap

MMSYSTEM007 There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more programs, and then try again.

I changed my config.sys file to read:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
buffers=30
files=50

If you do not have this file, make one in the root directory. Acutally i had two, one in root and one in windows, changed both.

Anyway, if this works for you, you owe my friend Sal $1.00, you may express thanks by email to "cessnap@mich.com"

Old 2nd June 2000, 03:47   #7
cessnap

o.k. i was wrong, after shut-down, which i tried before, it no longer works, this seems to be big bug-cock roach variety

I changed my config.sys file to read:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
buffers=30
files=50

If you do not have this file, make one in the root directory. Acutally i had two, one in root and one in windows, changed both.

Anyway, if this works for you, you owe my friend Sal $1.00, you may express thanks by email to "cessnap@mich.com"

[edit]

DJ-Egg input:

Win9x/ME
Everyone should already have a config.sys file.
It's the one in the root folder C:\ that Windows reads.
If you've got a compressed C:\ Drive, then you also need to edit the config.sys in the root folder of the host drive.
Also, try : DEVICEHIGH= command instead of DEVICE= command.
Obviously, you'll need to reboot for these changes to take effect.

However, there are a few other possible causes and fixes for this particular problem.
Some involve various settings in Winamp itself, others are Windows & Soundcard / Hardware related.
Particularly, if you have an old soundcard with a low memory chip, the best thing
to do is try downloading the latest drivers, or better still, get a new one - eg. SBLive -or- Diamond Monster Sound (MX300 or higher)

For more info, check out the link in my post below.

[/edit]

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 07:57 PM]
Old 22nd June 2000, 08:44   #8
Fusionhd.com

Send a message via ICQ to Fusionhd.com
Yeah, yeah. I tried all the stuff users of posted on the UBB and guess what... none of it worked! I don't know why it keeps on coming up, but it does! The only time it doesn't come up is when i plug my speakers in usb (i got microsoft computer speakers, don't ask) and i hate usb!! So you know what i did? I got a cd-burner, burned all my mp3s, illegal content, ect. on to a few cds (12 cds) and formated my computer. It didn't take long to restore it and everything was working A-O-K and its faster than ever. Don't worry about formating your computer to many times. A few bad sectors never hurt anyone...
Fusionhd.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2000, 02:00   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There's posts all over this forum relating to this problem . . . with all the answers you'll ever need !!!
Don't tell me you guys are still experiencing this ye olde problem ?!?!
Please don't make us have to explain it all again !
Anyway, I'll search around for the link and post it here as soon as I find it !

Laterz -> Egg.

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 07:17 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2000, 02:38   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, here ya go !