Old 25th March 2009, 17:47   #1
Medley

ML's "Local Media" is Dead ! :(

here is a pic to mi problem

other things from the media library work, that part its just gray like that... already reinstalled... what should i do?
Medley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 18:05   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There's been a few reports of this over the past few days...

Does switching to Video tab and back to ML tab fix it?

If no, then please zip up and attach both your "List of Plugins" and HijackThis logs:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

(so I can see what your Windows Os is, Winamp version, location of Winamp settings dir, whether all the right versions of the default plugins are present, whether there's any 3rd-party plugins present, whether there's any potential conflicts caused by any concurrently running software/proceseses, whether there's any malware present, etc etc).

and we'll take things from there...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 19:39   #3
Medley

there you go

should i try an older version meanwhile? (where can i get it?)
Attached Files
File Type: rar medley.rar (6.0 KB, 631 views)
Old 25th March 2009, 22:07   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I don't recommend using any older version....

Before trying anything drastic, let's make sure it's not one of your 3rd-party plugins to blame.

EZ-PlayList Plug-In v1.4 [gen_EZPlaylist.dll]
LeosLyrics Plugin [Gen_LeosLyrics.dll]

With Winamp closed, go to the "C:\Archivos de programa\Winamp\Plugins" folder
Create a new "Backup" subfolder in there
Cut & paste those two DLL files into it.

Reopen Winamp

Does the problem persist?

If yes, then we'll look at the config files in %appdata%\winamp
namely: plugins\gen_ml.ini and plugins\ml\*.vmd

By the way, although probably not related to the problem,
I recommend that you switch to using the Nullsoft MPC Decoder (v1.0 Beta) instead of the old Musepack reference one,
and that you switch to using DirectSound Output instead of WaveOut (Prefs -> Plugins -> Output).
Old 26th March 2009, 03:08   #5
Medley

Hey... removing both plugins didnt work... what i did was go to %appdata%\winamp and backed up the folder, then started up winamp and problem whent away!!(with all my settings) ill try messing with things till i get what the problem was and see how much settings i can get back
Old 26th March 2009, 03:27   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It'll be one of the following that's somehow been corrupted:

%appdata%\winamp\plugins

gen_ml.ini = media library settings

%appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml

*.vmd files = settings (columns/sizes) for each individual view
(look at gen_ml.ini to see which .vmd file corresponds with each view)

main.dat & main.idx = Local Media database

I can't see it being any other file(s) to blame, other than maybe %appdata%\winamp\winamp.ini (main settings file) or studio.xnf (modern skin settings file, which it won't be if it also happens with the Classic skin).
Old 26th March 2009, 03:35   #7
Medley

ok, narrowed downd the problem to "main.idx" file located in %appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\ml

deleting it made ML work, but it deleted all my library entries, had to reload all my files to de library. all my watch folders were still configured so that was saved, got my settings back in a second.

thanks for the help ! hope you can help other people with this info.
Old 26th March 2009, 05:03   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, strange...

I don't suppose you made a backup of main.idx before deleting it?
If yes, then zip it up and attach it here please.

If the zip is larger than 200kb, then upload it to stashbox.org and post the link here
(don't worry if it says 'url submitted by user' in your post, mods/admin can still see the url)

If not, then hey, the main thing is that the problem is fixed.

Even though I've never experienced any such problems, I always make regular backups of main.dat & main.idx
and also use the Export Database feature in 5.55+ to export the mldb to an .xml file.
(also note that the Watch Folders list/config is in gen_ml.ini)
Old 26th March 2009, 13:09   #9
Medley

yes i did backed them up!

http://rapidshare.com/files/213741438/ml.rar.html
Old 26th March 2009, 13:17   #10
DrO

Egg: i experienced this last night but didn't have a chance to debug it. hopefully it'll still exhibit the issue when i check it later tonight.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 16:31   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@DrO
Oh, really!?! Eek

@Medley
I'm attaching your mldb here, for preservation
(note that it's just main.dat & main.idx, that other file in your .rar is a temp backup which should've been auto deleted on winamp exit, but probably wasn't due to a crash).

Yup, your main.idx is corrupted (it's just full of 0's)
Attached Files
File Type: zip medley_mldb.zip (4.3 KB, 584 views)
Old 27th March 2009, 09:19   #12
DrO

was same situation as the others with zeroed out files though the only change i did from the normal install was to add in a plugin for reviewing and it then appeared blank (gf noticed it first) as i've not directly made any changes to what was in the mldb myself for a few weeks.

either way something needs to be changed with the loading aspect of the db so that if this does happen it really needs to pop up a loading prompt saying the file(s) are corrupt and then allow the 'empty' ml views show but something weird is definitely going on to have it randomly happen like this.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 17:43   #13
siiid84

Hey I had the same problem with blankleft ML in 5.552.Moreover, as i tried to scan the monitored folders, winamp crashed at specific songs (to scan).Removing these songs had no effect -> it always found new ones to crash.
btw: the songs were neither currupted nor unplayable (WMP did it).
Now i browsed a little through Winamp forums and found this thread.Backed up the main.dat so that Winamp would create it again when starting. Now it cruises through monitored folders to rebuild my ML.

And here my question:

Is it possible to get back information about ranked songs, most played etc.?

PS: I opened my main.dat with the editor and there are no 0's in it like the corrupted files above. Maybe Egg wanna have a look if it is even damaged?

http://stashbox.org/526318/main.dat

-siiid

Last edited by siiid84; 26th May 2009 at 18:06.
siiid84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 18:40   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Apparently, it's main.idx which gets corrupted, not main.dat

Just delete main.idx
You can probably keep the same/original main.dat file.

Has anyone who's experienced the problem maybe installed 5.552, gone back to an older pre 5.55 version then reinstalled 5.552 again? That would definitely cause the problem because the 5.55 mldb format is not backwards compatible.

Make sure you make regular backups of main.dat & main.idx
Old 16th June 2009, 05:22   #15
mizr3en

Hi, I was trying to follow what you were saying above because I just had the same problem. I removed main.idx from the folder "ml" and the problem is resolved, however my play count has been reset, everything else is fine. I was hoping you could tell me if this is something I can restore. I have attached this file main.idx (I don't know how to view it) which I removed - if there's something else you would be able to look at please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: rar winamp main file.rar (238 Bytes, 492 views)
mizr3en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 22:14   #16
biscuitboy

I too have this problem,

It occurred in the last version of Winamp aswell as the current version and happens randomly...

I deleted the main file and this solved the problem however I had to reload all my files.

Must be a bug in the player,
I am running Vista 32, with no 3rd party plugins....

I wonder if it could have something to do with my C: drive being filled and the file was in use and could not be saved due to lack of space, hence an error in the player??

I since freed up some space and it seems ok, have the others experiencing the problem filled their drives whilst winamp is in use or perhaps the file is in memory?
biscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 19:01   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
maybe winamp should include a plugin that makes the backups for you automatically if u want?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 03:16   #18
ManceboxD

Jeez, I must be a noob, because I have the same problem. I just can't find the 'main' thing everyone's talking about.
ManceboxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 20:23   #19
elislider

I'm having this problem or a variant of. usually (at least half the time) i start winamp it is showing the media library tab as blank. if i change tabs (to video for example) and then change back, the media library will be shown. I was previously having this problem in Vista x64 with the last version or two of winamp, and it was an installation of winamp i had been using for years including many version upgrades, so i figured it could use a uninstall and reinstall. i ended up completely reformatting and going to Win7 x64 and obviously a clean install of winamp and im having the same exact problem. the only plugin i have is audioscrobbler uploader, everything else is stock
elislider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 01:24   #20
kidashi

I'm having the same problem as elislider.
kidashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 02:53   #21
kidashi

Alright I'm severely pissed off, i tried to add a new song and now all i can listen to is it, i cant change songs.
I don't last long without my music. I get cranky. Someone please find the solution before i go insane.
Old 19th September 2009, 04:14   #22
kidashi

That deleting the main.idx thing worked, thank you egg =]
Old 19th September 2009, 09:32   #23
elislider

while i can go delete the 'main' file as suggested, i dont have a problem doing that. i just dont see how that could be a problem since i literally just reformatted my computer 2 weeks ago and winamp is freshly installed on a fresh install of windows so it seems problematic that this could happen so rapidly. not sure if it has anything to do with the size of my library (?) which is over 9000

<insert OVER 9000!!!! joke here>

i also have the winamp install customized and sliced down pretty much to the bare minimum of winamp. i just use the core functionality, media library, JTF and global hotkeys. everything else i dont install. ive been using winamp for 10 years and am not a big fan of all the new stuff bundled in, although some of the functionality is definitely useful to a lot of people, i just like winamp for its basic functionality. for the longest time (ie. up until a year or two ago) i never even used the media library. i just had 1 big playlist on random that i managed exclusively manually. i would use mediamonkey for all my media playback and management but i like JTF, Global hotkeys, and the notifier popups in winamp too much to switch 100%
elislider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 19:43   #24
trinitonesounds

Just had the same issue. In my case, I finished syncing my ipod (with ml_ipod) and hit eject when an error came up about an invalid field id. I had to force quit winamp because the error wouldn't go away.

Now I have the blank Library issue. Tried to Backup the database, but it only gives a 1 Kb file.

My plugin list and main.idx is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp.zip (3.5 KB, 362 views)
trinitonesounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 17:09   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Does anyone here use aimtunes?

Apparently, aimtunes could be the cause of the problem, because it reads the mldb but uses an older version of nde...
Old 28th October 2009, 17:22   #26
trinitonesounds

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Does anyone here use aimtunes?
Not me. Never heard of it. I ended up rescanning my whole collection and then copying the ratings from my ipod (mlipod).

It seems like a different issue, but I also have the same issue as elislider where the media library tab is empty on startup.
trinitonesounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 18:30   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So much for that theory then, heh...
Old 14th January 2010, 13:55   #28
GrandmasterYoda

winamp library dead

Hi, i'm using windows 7 64 bit,
ati hd4850 1gb card, 3gb pc6400 ram, plenty of hard disk space, amd athlon 8450 tri core processor.

My media librarys gone blank, its been doing it for ages, but I've just taken to uninstalling, and reinstalling it. Got abit frustrated so thought i'd see if there was a work around.

I've got the main.dat and main.idx files backed up, deleted them from the directory. its now working, but the library's blank. Minor annoyance, slightly quicker than re-installing. The question is do you want these files, or has this been filed under the cannot replicate category?

Oh im using v5.56

Edit:
Plugin wise, i'm only using standard free winamp, no extras, no customisation except global hotkeys, and winamp classic skin.
GrandmasterYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 15:21   #29
onix

same problem

Just before my Local Media went blank, the previous WinAmp session indicated some weird files it could not find in my library. So after deleting main.idx, I also went through and deleted all my playlist entries (.m3u) that were being copied in by file mirroring with another computer.... maybe that will fix the problem.

So far I'm up. If it goes blank again, I'll report back. Also, I am not using any plugin's.

Last edited by onix; 16th March 2010 at 15:44.
onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:15   #30
Tesco lozenges

Where is main.idx located? I can't find it. Could somebody give me a filepath please? Using Vista Home Premium 64.
Tesco lozenges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:48   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

%appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\ml\main.idx

where %appdata%\Winamp resolves at:
Win2k/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Winamp
Vista/Win7: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Winamp

Note that the appdata folder is hidden by default
so you would need to make sure you can view hidden files & folders first via:
Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab

Though just typing %appdata%\winamp into Start -> Run or Windows Explorer address bar will get you there.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:07   #32
Tesco lozenges

Thanks. I deleted it and it fixed the problem, but it cleared my library too. Re-added from my Music folder an it works fine. Cheers!
Tesco lozenges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 17:11   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, alas, it means you need to rescan/re-add everything.

Be sure to make regular backups of main.dat & main.idx

And if anyone can find a sure-fire method to reproduce the problem, then please let us know.
Old 9th May 2010, 09:01   #34
pamelakd

I had the same problem, but mine showed up after I discovered that the 'send to' option freezes my entire computer. I've been told it's a windows 7 64bit compatibility issues, and may be related to the existence of iso mounting software on your computer. Not sure how helpful this information is, but for me the problems seemed to occur at the same time.
pamelakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 22:24   #35
MrSinatra
Forum King

Egg, i've had kind of a similar issue, and i brushed it off as it wasn't catastrophric really, i figured it was a graphics driver type thing...

but occassionally when i open winamp in bento skin, everything under the tabs is greyed out, and it just stays like that. to fix, i click on another tab. so lets say when its first opening, its got "browser" picked. then i click on "media library" and it all comes back, or vice versa.

the OP was kinda different, as he still had the lefthand nav bar, but maybe if he tried something similar, either on the tabs, or on the nav bar, it might fix for him?

--
Old 14th May 2010, 18:21   #36
JorisD

Media Library gone

My Media Library also suddenly disappeared. Completely gone leaving only an empty gray window. Help! Is there a way to get my 7000 track-ratings back?

Import of XML did not work.

Joris.
Winamp 5.572
Windows Vista Home premium SP2
No plugins or add-ons at all

Last edited by JorisD; 14th May 2010 at 18:40.
JorisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 18:41   #37
MrSinatra
Forum King

i don't know how to fix the issue beyond what i posted, but just in case the winamp backup tool (search the forums) might be able to save your data, altho it might just replicate your issue on another install. but worth a shot anyway.

--
Old 19th May 2010, 01:30   #38
kirbmasta

I too, got the gray screen on my library. Deleting (or rather, dragging it to a backup folder) solved the problem, but at the same time got rid of my library. I know this seems to be whats commonly happening, but I wanted to point out that mine seemed to result from burning an album to CD.
kirbmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 03:54   #39
polymorphus

Same problem same solution, but this is a bug that needs fixing fast!
polymorphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 04:48   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymorphus View Post
Same problem same solution, but this is a bug that needs fixing fast!
Tell us how to reproduce it, then we'll try fix it.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support