Old 7th May 2009, 03:16   #1
tbarabash

Media Library just solid grey, can never see files

Just randomly one day I opened winamp, and clicked on my media library but the whole area where my media libary usually is is just a solid box of grey. I can still see what I was playing in the top right corner, can play it and go to visualizations, radio stations, etc but cannot get my library back.

I reinstalled a couple times, each time it seems to revert to normal just without my media libary, I re-add my music, but anytime after I close winamp and open it the media library is again just a solid grey block. Also, anytime I try to change the skin, the opacity of the window, it changes but after closing and reopening doesnt work again.

Comp specs:
vista 64
core2duo 2x4.0ghz
4gb ram
dual 8800gt video cards
no specific sound card (just whatever included w/ my nvidia mobo)
winamp v 5.552

Also FYI, to get the my plugins list to work, I had to do it immediately after I installed the plugin in winamp.. first time I tried it just wouldn't work.. neither would the standalone .exe. Don't know if that matters.

Included is the rar of my hijack this and the plugins.
Attached Files
File Type: rar desktop.rar (6.1 KB, 1958 views)
tbarabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 01:46   #2
jcaz1

Just developed the same problem. Media Library blank but can access fies directly from Winamp. Looks like more others are starting to experience same problem. If anyone finds a fix, please post. OS vista home premium.
jcaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 08:14   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

FAQ

Grey/blank Local Media views in Media Library
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=304613

So far (at the time of posting) it's just been a few isolated cases reported.

Not sure what's causing it to happen though....
Some old/dodgy/incompatible 3rd-party plugin maybe?
Installing 5.552, reverting back to an older pre 5.55 version then reinstalling 5.552?
(the 5.55 mldb format is not backwards compatible).
A major system crash occurring during usage/scanning?

If switching tabs from ML to Video and back doesn't fix it....

Deleting %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml\main.idx will fix it
(make sure Winamp is closed first).

But it then means you'll need to reimport your music into the library :-(

I recommend making regular backups of main.dat (local media database) and main.idx (local media index),
and maybe also regularly use the 'Export Database' feature (via Library button menu) to save the mldb to xml.

And/or regularly use the Winamp Backup Tool :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 21:01   #4
biscuitboy

I too have this problem,

It occurred in the last version of Winamp aswell as the current version and happens randomly...

I deleted the main file and this solved the problem however I had to reload all my files.

Must be a bug in the player,
I am running Vista 32,

I wonder if it could have something to do with my C: drive being filled and the file was in use and could not be saved due to lack of space, hence an error in the player??

I since freed up some space and it seems ok, have the others experiencing the problem filled their drives whilst winamp is in use or perhaps the file is in memory?
biscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 19:10   #5
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
Just had it happen to me for the second time. A reinstall fixed it the last time.

No plugins that didn't come included, was using 5.55. Just doing an upgrade to 5.56 didn't solve the issue, but a clean install would.

If I had to take a guess, an unclean shutdown probably caused this, as I was last using it last night with no issue, but hard shutdown my computer last night (power button) in a fit of rage and it doesn't work today.

Just backed-up and deleted my settings (C:\Users\squall14716\AppData\Roaming\Winamp) and it works again, so it is related to something in there breaking.
squall14716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 23:06   #6
ujay
Forum King

If it's any help, just had it happen.

Greyed out media library.

'main.dat' and 'main.idx' are zeroed out.

main.dat.n3wxxxxxxxx is not deleted(some sort of intermediate file ???)

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 12:16   #7
dcbear78

Add me to the ever growing list.
dcbear78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 16:09   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Does anyone here use aimtunes?

Apparently, aimtunes could be the cause of the problem, because it reads the mldb but uses an older version of nde...
Old 1st December 2009, 00:08   #9
lual

run winamp as administrator

maybe my problem differs a little from the others in this thread. i havn't a clean installed winamp5.56 because i was not able to ex- and import my old grown ml data. not by using ml_impex and not by coping the plugins/gen_ml.ini + plugins/ml/*.* files.

i want to let you know - i was able to fix this greyout ml problem on my vista64 by running winamp as administrator.

i was not able to find out what exactly causes this. as i find an other thread - disable "Restore file associations at Winamp start-up" didn't help me.

but i don't mind. run it as admin is ok for me.

regards
lual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 00:32   #10
Nobody 004

Solved! (I think)

Ok, well first let me describe my exact situation.

Fresh install of Winamp - everything works fine
After a while - Media Library goes grey, switching to another tab (eg. Video) and switching back makes everything fine
A while after that - Media Library stays grey

This time around when I was at the "After a while" stage, I noticed that the Media Library would only become grey if there was an instance of "winamp.exe" currently running, even though I may have exited a previous session of winamp. (Tested with allow multiple instances enabled AND disabled, the only difference with disabled is that after about having 3 or 4 winamp processes, they simply stop showing the winamp application, but continue to launch these ghost processes)

It seems to me that when you exit winamp there is a problem with ending the winamp.exe process that is causing this media library bug. For now I have created a Winamp Launcher batch script that I use to launch Winamp, this script ends all processes called "winamp.exe" before starting a new one (added at the end of the post). Sure it adds a few seconds, but it seems to have solved the grey Library problem.

I'm yet to see if things still somehow manage to progress to the "A while after that" stage.

##Winamp Launcher Batch##
taskkill *winamp.exe* /F
taskkill *winamp.exe* /F
taskkill *winamp.exe* /F
taskkill *winamp.exe* /F
taskkill winamp.exe /F
taskkill winamp.exe /F
taskkill winamp.exe /F
taskkill winamp.exe /F
"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe"
##End##

Just copy from the first "taskkill" to "...winamp.exe" into a notepad file, save it as "Launch Winamp.bat" or whatever suits your fancy, just make sure the extension is ".bat"

Those of you running x64 systems may want to change the last line to:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe"

I'm also going to try running winamp as an elevated process to see if that makes a difference in ending the winamp.exe process on exit.

Hope this was helpful!
Old 18th March 2010, 00:41   #11
Nobody 004

Update: Running as an elevated process seems to make no difference.

Also, note: The winamp.exe process staying open doesn't seem to happen all the time when you exit.

Old 21st March 2010, 01:04   #12
Nobody 004

Ok... so this solution only seems to work at the second stage. I've now reached the third stage and it's back in grey permanently again.
Old 2nd October 2010, 15:02   #13
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
FAQ

So far it's just been a few isolated cases reported.
Oh no, i've seen this problem occur on at least 10 different pc's in the past year. (win vista 32, win7 32 bit, win7 64bit) (all dutch)
5.541 doesn't have the problem. Every release after 5.541 does have it.
It's sickening, since most people do want shoutcast to be a part of their digital lives.

However 5.541 does have the problem that if you close winamp a couple of times it sais there is another instance running, as do versions folowing up to 5541.

It would be nice if this issue is resolved somewhere in the near future.
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:56   #14
Ayoo

This also happened to me today, so it's still out there.
Ayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 19:56   #15
llr

5.59 v3033 still has the bug - HOWEVER -
the problem only occurs with the bigbento skins (tested with large)

With the winamp modern skin shoutcast loads each and every single time (in the medialibrary)

buggy big bento?> I think so.
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 12:34   #16
Xaybiance

Solved!

Solved!

Using v5.581 on windows 7

Here's what I did on big bento skin.

I went into Winamp Preferences and cleared my media from my library (does not delete music from disk) Then I was able to see the right side of the Media Library, THE GREY IS GONE!

After that I reloaded my media from my disk to the library and everything is working again.

At the top of the page, click Options>Preferences>Media Library>Local Media

Under the options tab at the bottm of the page, click Clear Media Library (this will not delete your music)

Close the preferences window

at the top go to File and Add media to library...

I still get the grey screen from time to time, so this has been a temporary solution.
Xaybiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 12:49   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Xaybiance
Glad to hear that it also works by clearing the database & rescanning.
Which is pretty much the same as my method of manually deleting main.idx then rescanning.

Another way to reproduce the grey ML is if Winamp is running in elevated/admin mode on Vista/Win7
(which it does on first run, due to the installer/setup being elevated)
with the dreaded UAC enabled,
and if you then e.g. double-click songs in Explorer (or use the rt-click context menus - Play/Enqueue in Winamp).
It then opens a 2nd instance of Winamp with the newly added files in the playlist, and the Local Media views greyed-out.

However, the ML database doesn't get corrupted.
You can just close the 2nd instance, then close the 1st instance, and reopen Winamp
and everything is ok again.

I'm not sure what we can do to prevent this, other than making it so Winamp doesn't automatically run at the end of installation
(ie. the installer/setup would just exit and you'd then need to double-click the Winamp desktop icon to open it).

But maybe there's another workaround... we shall see....

However, I'm not sure if that's the cause of the original 'grey ML' reports...

Just make sure you use the Winamp Backup Tool to make regular backups
(or manually make backups of gen_ml.ini, main.dat, main.idx, etc).
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:12   #18
mwake

This just happened to me and yes it happened after a serious bluescreen crash on win 7

clearing the media library inf worked although I had to rescan files and probably will have to do a playlist generator scan too
mwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 00:45   #19
phenom

Same problem.

This issue seems to be an issue with UAC on Windows 7. I can run Winamp with admin rights, and it works fine, but if I run it as a regular user I get the gray dialog.

As a very long term Winamp user I regret to admit, this has rendered me incapable of using it on this system.

* Changing skin has no effect.
* Reinstalling only works when you select to start Winamp in the installer menu, as it is then running with Admin rights.
* Running with Admin is the only work around. Can set it to run as Admin in UAC settings but,, that's a security hazard, and not worth the trouble.
* No Aimtunes

Can any one confirm if you're having this problem on a Windows 7 computer,, and you use the pc with a limited user account?

Winamp devs,, please take a serious approach to finding and fixing this bug, as I will have to use an alternate media player until this gets resolved. I don't want to have to open with admin rights for more than security purposes.
phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 08:59   #20
dgriffiths

I'm also a long time Winamp user (since 1996). I seem to recall getting this problem with Windows XP, but alternating tabs (Media Library, Video, Visulization, Browser) would fix it.

Now that I use Windows 7, the only fix I have is to do a clean uninstall, and then a re-install. Very annoying.

Not using Aimtunes either.

I'm not on a limited user on Windows 7, sorry.

I've looked into my winamp\plugins\ml\main.idx file and it's all messed up, so something is corrupting it. I wish I knew what. I have two plugins, Ray's G15 for the Logitech G15 keyboard, and a last.fm plugin, which I don't think I use anymore in fact.
dgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 00:03   #21
muppet

Send a message via ICQ to muppet Send a message via AIM to muppet Send a message via MSN to muppet Send a message via Yahoo to muppet Send a message via Skype™ to muppet
Just Happened To Me

This just happened to me after I installed One_For_Nunz and dumped a list of everything.

Closed Winamp, reopened and wooshka! Greyness.

(I'm not blaming One_For_Nunz, I bet the timing was just unfortunate)
muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:41   #22
WallTearer

Hey,
I've had this problem for over a week also.
So I was fed up of this and started googling.
And found the answer here:
http://bugitory.com/index.php?title=...ray_(no_files)
"Solution 1. Remove main.idx" solved my problem.

Maybe this will be helpful for someone else.
Cheers.
WallTearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 10:52   #23
bertmans

how to solve the grey window in medialibrary

Hy,

greyed out in my case clearly seemed a corruption of the index file

close winamp
go into explorer
c.\users\(your computer name)\appdata\roaming\winamp\plugins\ml

delete main.idx file

launch winamp again
now scan your watchfolders again...worked for me,
reg
bertmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 12:54   #24
KeefyD

Same issue - Version 5.6.2.1

We are experiencing the same issues - choosing clear media library solves the issue but obviously they need to be re-loaded in order to use the libraries again - Could it be becasue fo corrupted music file data ?
Anyway it needs sorting - main.dat is 31 Meg, main.idx is 773 KB
KeefyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 20:57   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=304613

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:00   #26
ujay
Forum King

My tuppence worth.

This has been around for so long now that it really is time to sort out something a bit better than requiring the casual user to act defensively. It comes naturally to old hands, but ...

It's been discussed of course, but as no one has ever come up with a consistent method of reproduction ...

It seems to be a problem with the write back to main.dat and/or main.idx ...

This write back takes place when Winamp is closing down, are there conditions where cache data, disk errors etc. can't be verified ...

Anyway ...

Does Winamp have any way to validate the .dat and .idx files before loading the Media Library ?

If so, it should be possible to keep the parent file as a 'last known good' and fall back on it if the current version fails.

UJ
Old 15th September 2011, 16:11   #27
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujay View Post
Does Winamp have any way to validate the .dat and .idx files before loading the Media Library ?

If so, it should be possible to keep the parent file as a 'last known good' and fall back on it if the current version fails.
there are integrity checks of a sort done when the db is being loaded but when the files get zeroed out there's not much you can do from that.

maybe it should keep a backup which it sort of does anyway when it's writing the db out due to using a temporary file - i guess it should be looked at to keep the original file and then try to use that. though that's still just covering up an issue which no one can properly reproduce - even i've seen the blank ml happen and was never able to work out what caused it from my setup.

for the moment, we've added a page which appears instead of nothing (as was meant to happen but the code was never properly hooked up to do it) which will explain what's possibly happened and give the option to reset the affected file(s) for the affected user instead of having to manually find the files - basically just re-using the clear ml option.

yes that page should never appear but with no way to properly replicate the issue and i've not seen it happen again in the 2years since i only ever saw it, whereas some people seem to get hit by it all of the time and that makes me more think it's something to do with a/v or something else running.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:32   #28
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
... for the moment, we've added a page which appears instead of nothing (as was meant to happen but the code was never properly hooked up to do it) which will explain what's possibly happened and give the option to reset the affected file(s) for the affected user instead of having to manually find the files - basically just re-using the clear ml option ...
-daz
Hi daz,

How easy would it be to combine the two and give the user the option of clearing the Library or using the 'last known good'

UJ
Old 15th September 2011, 16:54   #29
DrO

if someone had the freetime to do it, then for the ui aspects it's a quick thing to change (as the existing change was) and for the backup handling a bit longer though not too long if you know the code i.e. probably a few hours to implement and test it properly.

-daz
Old 15th September 2011, 20:14   #30
MrSinatra
Forum King

i've speculated that it has to do with hard drive speed. i think i've never seen it b/c i use SSDs which can keep up with the DB writes. i also don't use much A/V or 3rd party plugins.

it would be cool if a plugin were made to silently run koopas backup tool, that could first save the index file on every exit. something along those lines. i don't know if his tool does CLI tho.

--
Old 15th September 2011, 21:21   #31
ujay
Forum King

Thanks daz, just had a look at b.3181 seems to be working OK.

Maybe a few niggles with the wording, the user could be led to expect a Cancel button(not that it could do anything). You know how we panic in these situations
I'll see if I can work up something I think is better.

I do think it's important to implement a 'last know good' option. Reading through, it looks like the major irritation is not so much having to re-do the Library, but losing play counts and such.

As usuall, old four eyes here would like to see the text a bit bigger

UJ
Old 15th September 2011, 21:27   #32
MrSinatra
Forum King

saving playcounts to the file, just like saving ratings to the file has, would also lessen the issue.

--
Old 28th October 2011, 06:58   #33
navienavnav

The problem still persists. I am tired of removing my library and then re populating it every other day and sometimes every day! I ove everything about winamp and have been using it since 12 years...I don't wish to change to anything else but I don't think I have a choice anymore.
navienavnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 08:09   #34
DrO

navienavnav: if no one on the dev team can reproduce the library getting wiped then it's impossible to fix. and it's got to be related to something else present or some plug-in present / interacting with Winamp that's causing it. hopefully someone will be able to find the time to be able to implement the backup as mentioned in the previous few posts.

though if it does happen with 5.622 then you should be able to just click a button to at least get it back to a blank state instead of having to manually remove files.

-daz
Old 29th October 2011, 03:45   #35
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO,

the new "explanation" page in 5.622 should also make mention of the backup tool, and maybe mention that you can save ratings to files in prefs.

--
Old 31st October 2011, 09:55   #36
DrO

i don't have the rights to affiliate a 3rd party tool into the details of Winamp - see where you're coming from but i did more changes than i should have done as it was.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support