Old 9th May 2009, 22:14   #1
jakobtischler

Crash with Send-To-Menu

Hello all,

I recently changed my OS to Windows 7, and Winamp seems to work mostly fine for except for one problem: everytime I rightclick a file from the media library or the playlist, and the mouse cursor as much as touches the "Send to" item, Winamp totally freezes, as does the whole system. The mouse doesn't move anymore, sound is a 1/2 second loop, the keyboard doesn't respond etc. The only left to do is using the computer's reboot button.

I have no extra plugins installed, this happens even with a fresh, clean install with an empty (except for the default content) library. To be honest, this drives me nuts. Even if I don't want to use the send-to functions, you sometimes just inadvertently move the mouse along the menu items to get to the function you need, and boom goes the dynamite once you hit the "send-to".

Winamp: v5.552 Build 2460 (at the time of this posting, this is the very latest version)
Soundcard: On-board Realtek HD
Videocard: GeForce 9600 GT GS

Thanks for any help and tips,
--Jakob
jakobtischler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 08:28   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Windows 7 is not supported currently. That being said...
full uninstall and reinstall
Information required when posting

EDIT

Solution

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 15:12   #3
jakobtischler

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Windows 7 is not supported currently.
I understand your comment concerning the Windows 7 compatibility. But, reading all over the forum how Winamp seems to be working just fine for many Win7 users, I figured there had to be a solution.

Quote:
full uninstall and reinstall
Like I said in my first post, the problem also arises after a totally clean and fresh install.

Quote:
Information required when posting
I think I gave all the information needed in my first post (software, hardware, problem description ...). Anything I missed?
Old 11th May 2009, 02:11   #4
linnus

I also using Windows 7 and having the same problem. =/
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (8.3 KB, 593 views)
linnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 02:13   #5
linnus

Ok, nevermind... I've figured it out.

I've just disabled the Daemon Tools virtual drive and the 'Send To' menu has stopped crashing.
linnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 07:57   #6
jakobtischler

Wow, that tipp was worth gold. I had indeed activated a Daemon Tools virtual drive. Deactivated it, worked like a charm for me. Thanks a lot, linnus.

Now, of course, I hope someone might know if there is a solution for this to get both programs working together.
Old 14th May 2009, 08:47   #7
watashi-kami

I observed this behaviour too.... with "Virual Clone Drive" in Windows 7(x64).

thanks for your hint, is working fine now
watashi-kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 07:46   #8
Astrotrain76

Please people help me if you can! I have the same problem but in Windows XP SP3, so I didn't want to open a whole new thread about this subject. When I just as much as hover the mouse pointer over a "Send to " menu item, Winamp totally freezes up!
First time after that happens, I am still able to kill it through task manager, but if I try it again, then Winamp stays "stuck for good" on desktop, and the only solution is to reboot PC.
Considering previous posts, I want to mention that I have one "DVD-RAM drive" in Win Explorer, but I didn't have this "freezing" issue up until few days ago.
What could have gone wrong suddenly?!
Old 6th June 2009, 17:35   #9
pintorosa

GOD BLESS YOU GUYS!

Same problem, Same Solution...
I lost all my Media Library with this Crash...
I tested the solution and everything back to work.
In my case, the Virtual Drive was the UltraISO thing.

Please, winamp programmers, solve this because today is almost impossible wonder using a PC without the Virtual Drivers!

Lot of thanks!
Old 21st June 2009, 09:27   #10
Truth Unknown

Looks like its a problem with the Rip & Burn plug-in and Virtual Disc Drivers. Uninstalling either will prevent the crash.

EDIT: Should have checked this earlier, but its mainly the Sonic Engine. Playing a music CD with Sonic Engine, opening the "Send to:" Menu with Rip & Burn installed along with a Virtual Disc Driver and possibly using the Rip and Burn Features will Lock up Windows 7 (Seven) forced to manually restart.

Disabling Sonic Engine in the Nullsoft CD Plug-in (in_cdda.dll) and Uninstalling the Nullsoft Rip & Burn plug-in (ml_disc.dll) will prevent the Lockups. I guess until the Sonic engine is updated for Windows 7.

Last edited by Truth Unknown; 21st June 2009 at 10:11.
Truth Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 17:24   #11
Sudden

Truth Unknown, you are my new hero! I've been trying to find a solution to this for many weeks now and finally stumbled upon this thread. Thank you so much!
Sudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 13:11   #12
daveozric

Only on one computer

I have been using Windows 7 business for a while on my multimedia computer and have had no problem with this. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on another computer and it locked up with the send to immediately. When I uninstalled all virtual drives it stopped locking up. Problem is I need a virtual drive for lots of reasons. Anyone know of a virtual drive that doesn't do this?

If I disable the sonic engine will that work with a virtual drive installed?

Thanks
daveozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 15:28   #13
Robster400

Remove in_cdda.dll & mi_disc.dll from the plugins directory to stop it crashing.

Too much is never enough...
Last.fm
Robster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 17:30   #14
daveozric

You are the Man!

Yes sir, that did the trick. Very cool, thanks very much!
Old 27th December 2009, 19:45   #15
listeruk

Basically you have to remove the Pro functionality to make it work with Windows 7.
listeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 20:44   #16
Robster400

Quote:
Originally posted by listeruk
Basically you have to remove the Pro functionality to make it work with Windows 7.
Not really, you have to not use a virtual drive instead

Last.fm
Old 27th December 2009, 20:57   #17
daveozric

I have pro features enabled on the windows 7 business and 2 virtual drive software programs installed with no problems. It may be a problem with ultimate possibly? Although I checked and I don't have the mi_disc.dll on the business.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:07   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

ml_disc.dll (the CD Rip & Burn view in the ML) adds the CD drives to the Send To menu.
You shouldn't need to also remove in_cdda (the CD playback support plugin).

Can anyone confirm whether the problem only occurs under Win7 (if the user is also using the likes of UltraISO, Alcohol or Daemon Tools for virtual cd drives), or if it also occurs on Vista and XP...?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 12:23   #19
daveozric

I used winamp with vista and xp both with virtual drives installed and never had a problem. It was only on the win 7 ultimate.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:25   #20
Robster400

I have a v drive on 7 and vista SP2,both x64. only 7 errors.

Not sure if its relevant info, but they had to change alcohol 120% to run on on 7.
It was fine for vista, but bluescreen 7 until it was updated.

Last.fm
Old 29th December 2009, 20:32   #21
listeruk

Happens on Windows 7 Ultimate (Winamp 5.571 and earlier) with Acohol 52% free installed - crashes/freezes up the OS.

Same set up in XP pro Sp3 and all is well.
listeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 13:09   #22
Y3PP3R

Problem solved by disabling virtual clonedrive on win 7 ultimate x64.
Y3PP3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 11:18   #23
Bemaitea

I can confirm the problem in Windows 7 Business.

Dameon VD causes the crash. Once disabled, the Sent-To Menu works as normal.

I would like to use both programs together as I was able to in XP, though I am hesitant to remove ml_dsic.dll as I would like to still rip and burn CDs using Winamp Pro.

Any progress on making this happen?
Bemaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:33   #24
daveozric

Truth Unknown is got it.

Doing what he says fixes the problem. I need the virtual drive more than I need to rip or burn in Winamp.

Truth, YOU THE MAN!
Old 7th March 2010, 00:57   #25
yxmline

- -Virtual CD-ROM is needed
yxmline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:40   #26
yxmline

Or more in divx pro7 also with sonic engine
fix this problem as soon as possible
yxmline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 18:58   #27
ainstalls

freezing up

I also use windows 7 brand new laptop 6gb with plenty of speed. I do some djing and my library is large. Winamp freezes up on me alot compared to other versions.what are these things you are talking about disabling and how do i disable them.
ainstalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 19:01   #28
ainstalls

freezing up

I also use windows 7 brand new laptop 6gb with plenty of speed. I do some djing and my library is large. Winamp freezes up on me alot compared to other versions.what are these things you are talking about disabling and how do i disable them. My data base is on a external hardrive
Old 30th November 2010, 19:17   #29
DrO

ainstalls: you've posted a number of times of having issues but you keep failing to provided the required information about your Winamp install. also we've no idea what version you're using, what action on the send to menu you're using.

so firstly, upgrade to Winamp 5.6 (released earlier today). see if the issue happens and if it does then provide a plug-ins list (see main sticky thread in this forum for the information needed when posting and attach copies to the post).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 19:36   #30
ainstalls

freezing up

ok sorry new to all this i was running 5.58 the newest until today.As far as plug ins go whatever was with winamp is what i'm using.I havent added or deleted anything. I will download the new version when I get home and try it.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:48   #31
ainstalls

freezing up

installed the 5.6 last night and everything seems to be much better didnt freeze at all....what a relief
Old 1st December 2010, 14:51   #32
DrO

that's good to hear. were you trying to use the send to playlists feature when the issue kept happening?

-daz
Old 1st December 2010, 16:07   #33
ainstalls

freezing up

no I did a DJ gig a week ago and in the middle of a song from the playlist just froze. Happened 3 times.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:10   #34
bitbybit

As I previously reported almost a year ago myself and remains an issue still in 5.601, this is an entirely frustrating bug and maddening, not only because it prevents me from switching to Winamp as my default media player, but moreso because of the apparent reluctance of the Winamp developers to take an active role in further troubleshooting and resolving this issue.

DrO, are you somehow UNABLE to reproduce this bug if you install Virtual Clone Drive or similar on a test machine w/a vanilla Winamp install? No matter what I do w/a vanilla Winamp install + Virtual Clone Drive, I can't NOT lock up my machine unless/until I rename/remove ml_disc.dll.

Honestly, at this point the impetus should be solely on the Winamp developers to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. This is a ridiculously easy bug to reproduce and there's simply no excuse for not adequately addressing it after Truth Unknown reported the temporary workaround a year and a half ago.

In case this is somehow unclear, I am testing with a fresh, vanilla installation of Winamp 5.601 w/no additional plugins, default skin and a running copy of Virtual Clone Drive and every - single - time - I mouseover the "Send To" dialog box in Winamp my machine locks up completely requiring a reboot to remedy the situation.
bitbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 14:46   #35
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbybit View Post
DrO, are you somehow UNABLE to reproduce this bug if you install Virtual Clone Drive or similar on a test machine w/a vanilla Winamp install? No matter what I do w/a vanilla Winamp install + Virtual Clone Drive, I can't NOT lock up my machine unless/until I rename/remove ml_disc.dll.
i'd thought i'd made it pretty clear that neither i or anyone related to the Winamp dev team are able to reproduce the issue in the prior post.

yes it needs to be fixed but if the people needing to fix it cannot reproduce it on their machines then it's a tricky thing to fix. maybe the newer sonic engine which is available does resolve it (from early last year) but as it was only found out there was a new version in December i don't think it's been tested by the dev team to even see how it compares to the version currently being used (if it _might_ resolve the Win7 and other issues).

-daz
Old 10th January 2011, 21:01   #36
bitbybit

Well then, I retract the pissy disposition of my previous post It wasn't clear to me that the devs had actually tried installing virtual drive software on their machine w/a Windows 7 configuration. Regardless whether it was frustration due to machine lockups, bad thread skimming on my part, or anything else, my apologies then for misunderstanding the situation and ranting about it.

I'll keep hunting on my end for some rhyme or reason and report back if I find anything. Until then I'll try and remember to rename that damn dll every time I upgrade Winamp versions
bitbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:08   #37
DrO

if you don't use the rip & burn feature (which is basically what ml_disc adds to the library) then you can just uncheck it in the installer and that choice should then be remembered.

-daz
Old 18th February 2011, 22:52   #38
bragesb

I have the same issue

I have the very same issue, and I am running winamp 5.601

A complete system freeze occurs whenever I hover over the "send to" menu, and sometimes when I'm drag-and-dropping items to playlist or a portable device. The details have probably been discussed already (I have *not* read the entire thread but I get the general idea)

What I have got to add is that this is not a winamp-exclusive problem, I get the exact same symptoms when playing Age of Empires 2 (I have however not been able to pin down a certain action that causes the freeze in AoE) So I feel Microsoft should probably be notified (if they haven't already) or something, because it is a pretty serious flaw. As someone on another forum posted "If you find out what causes this, you could probably write a pretty neat virus" or something along those lines.

So anyhow, that's what I have to say, and since I'm a bit of a rookie, I'll leave it to someone more professional to find the cause of this extremely annoying bug, but I would appreciate it a lot if someone did. And also, I'll try the fix suggested, but since this is not a winamp-exclusive problem to me, I would like it if someone found the cause, or pointed me to someone who might know. Thanks in Advance.
bragesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 19:43   #39
daveozric

Fix

bragesb, there have been some solutions given in the forum. Mine was to remove the dameon tools engine.

Quote:
(I have *not* read the entire thread but I get the general idea)
Old 25th February 2011, 08:04   #40
bragesb

Yeah, that worked for me to. However the problem must run deeper than that. I don't know what causes this problem to happen, but the fault does not lie in winamp. I get the exact same symptoms with AoE II so the problem probably lies in the Operating System somewhere. So I don't know, I should probably head over to the microsoft forums instead or something, but this problem isn't exactly resolved in my opinion before I get to the root of the problem.
Anyways, if anyone already found the problem please tell me, I would be very grateful
bragesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support