Old 20th July 2000, 03:57   #1
GREEK_MP3

Tutorial on how to convert an mp3 file to a wav file using Winamp v2.64

So you need to convert some of your MP3 files to WAV format for some reason ?
In this tutorial, I will show you in a few easy steps how to use Winamp 2.64 to accomplish this. Have in mind that this has got to do with some plugins that come with Winamp... (You may use this tutorial for other 2.x versions of Winamp, some of the plugin names referenced in my tutorial may differ in previous versions).

STEP 1: Preparing our mp3 files

So you have found the mp3 files that you would like to decode into WAV format. You can either decode the mp3 files 1 by 1 or by making a playlist of all the mp3 you want to decode. Make sure the
REPEAT button is switched off (toggle), because we don't want the decoder repeating the decoding process and creating duplicate WAV files. Also turn off the Shuffle button if you are to make a playlist of mp3 to decode.

STEP 2: Configuring the decoding plugin

Now we have to select from the Winamp preferences the decoding plugin which Winamp will use to decode our mp3 files. Press "CTRL + P" inorder to open 'Winamp Preferences' or open otherwise. Select the 'Output' from the 'Plug-ins' section. Then select the decoder plugin which we will be using, named 'Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in v1.0 (x86) (OUT_DISK.DLL)'.

Now press the 'Configure' button just below inorder to select the directory you wish to save the WAV files which will be created to. After doing that, press ok and close the preference's window.

STEP 3: Decoding the mp3 to wav files

Inorder to initiate the decoding process, you simply have to press the 'PLAY' button in Winamp. Note that an mp3 which is 4 mins long will need around 15 seconds to decode. During the decoding process, Winamp will appear to be playing at turbo speed, but without any outputted sound. It is adviced to leave your computer alone while decoding is in progress, inorder to avoid any skips in the outputted WAV file, due to CPU usage.

When the decoding process is complete you should have in mind that while the Decoding plugin is still loaded, you cannot playback any music files until you switch back to the previous Output plugin, which is called 'Nullsoft WaveOut plug-in v.2.02 (x86) (OUT_WAVE.DLL)'.

So now you must repeat STEP 2 and selecting the default playback plugin which we have just mentioned, or to any other playback plugins you prefer to use.

That is all folks ! Your WAV files should now be located in the directory (folder) you selected in STEP 2.

Have in mind that WAV files can be played using Winamp and mainly the fact that they take up lots of disk space; approximately just over 10 mb of disk space per minute of music.

I hope you have found this tutorial easy to follow and complete... Have a nice day!

------------------
Tin mia mas pezoun Rock, tin alli Tsifteteli...

[This message has been edited by GREEK_MP3 (edited July 19, 2000).]

Old 20th July 2000, 10:37   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

Excellent! I luv the step-by-step instructions and pics. Very easy to understand. Good job, Greek. You must also remember that the equalizer is still active when decoding. Therefore, I recommend turning it off before decoding. DSP/Effect plugins are also still active. Make sure to turn these off as well. The speed at which the decoding occurs also depends on your processor speed, so slower computers won't decode as fast.

This is a great tutorial. Let's keep it at the top of the page!

------------------
Luv the Fuzz
Old 20th July 2000, 19:37   #3
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

To the top
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

------------------
SexyLoserKitten1@aol.com

Sex without foreplay is like drinking without getting drunk...
Old 21st July 2000, 01:05   #4
RADAR

Nice tutorial GREEK...I do have a question that is kind of off the subject though. How do you get screen shots of winamp (or any other open window for that matter). Is there a program you use, or did they come from elsewhere?
Old 21st July 2000, 01:12   #5
GREEK_MP3

I just use the "Print Screen" button from the keyboard to get printscreens of my desktop, then I edit them in Adobe PhotoShop, where I cut out what I want using the select tool...

There are some appz which takes screenshots of specified windows, but I dont prefer them much...

------------------
Tin mia mas pezoun Rock, tin alli Tsifteteli...

Old 21st July 2000, 01:16   #6
RADAR

oooohhhhhhh....
(face turning red) Stupid stupid stupid!!
Thats what that button is for...
thanks.
Old 21st July 2000, 04:02   #7
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Or you could just hold the Alt key while you press the Print Screen button. That'll get you the active window without all the other stuff on your screen.
Old 21st July 2000, 10:56   #8
GREEK_MP3

oooohhhhhhh....
(face turning red) Stupid stupid stupid!!
I didn't know that trick...
thanks.

Old 21st July 2000, 11:07   #9
sgtfuzzbubble011

That's kewl. I knew what the printscreen button was for, but I didn't know 'bout the alt-printscreen trick, though. Thanx

------------------

Post terminated.
Old 21st July 2000, 12:01   #10
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Ice and Radioactive Man -

GREEK_MP3's above tutorial is the kind of thing I had in mind when I suggested the "Top Ten Winamp Questions" forum, which you guyz re-dubbed "Tech Support Greatest Hits".

Each Topic ("Hit") would be about ONE question and answer, with all the details included.

Then, following the answer to each Topic/Hit, you could add a standardized epilogue - maybe something like this:

(Begin epilogue)

We hope the above explanation fully answers your question "How do I convert Mp3's to Wav's?". If you have other questions regarding Winamp:

(1) Check the other topics in this "Greatest Hits" forum,

(2) Check the Winamp FAQ (insert link),

(3) Check the Documentation (insert link),

(4) Use the Search function (insert link), and

(5) Review old posts.

If you still cannot find an answer to your question, please select ONE forum and post your question there. Try to use a Topic name that specifically describes your problem (not "Help Me Please!!!").

Do not post in more than one forum and do not post multiple times in the same forum. Once you have started a Topic, keep all your replies within that Topic (in other words, don't answer someone by starting a new Topic). If you do all these things, the Moderators and Members will love you.

(End of epilogue)

Just thought that the "Greatest Hits" forum would be a good spot to slip in some guidelines on Winamp Forum etiquette ...

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited July 21, 2000).]
Old 22nd July 2000, 00:30   #11
gandalf
Moderator Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to gandalf
Great stuff. Kalh douleia Greek!

[Edit]Thread moved to "Greatest hits" and then Reopened.[/Edit]

[This message has been edited by gandalf (edited July 21, 2000).]
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support