Old 24th July 2000, 00:47   #1
silly_1977

I'm sure this topic has been covered here many of times but I have been looking and there are so many different responses and different problems I am going to ask about this for myslef. I have played MP3z through WinAmp for over 1 year now and I runnning into a problem with the songs skipping when I do anything on the internet. I ahve a cable modem which is new but I can't imagine why this would cause me a problem. I really never used the internet on this computer till now snce I got the cable modem so I don't if this would have happened before this. My computer is an AMD k6-2 400mhz with 320 meg of ram, an ati rage 128 video card, a yamaha sound card, and all the newest versions of software including windows 98 second edition. I only get these skips or bleeps in my music when I am doing things on the net like downloading form n*pster, surfing on IE or netscape. I have been doing high memory task like running filters on photoshop, creating web pages on pagemill, and doing move editing while playing MP3z and not havin this problem but if I try and listen to a MP3 and check my email I get the skips/bleeps. Will someone please help me out with this one. And to the person who helps me get this fixed first, I will send out an extra 6gig HD I have just as a thank you.
Old 24th July 2000, 00:56   #2
gandalf
Moderator Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to gandalf
Try to up the buffer in prefs>plugins>output>configure
Or even the thread priority in prefs>options and Prefs>plugins>input>Nullsoft MPEG audio decoder

If by any case, this solves your problem, keep the disk, or even better donate it to the poor boy foundation. (Do a search on the forums if you dont know what i'm talking about)

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 12:02 AM]
Old 24th July 2000, 00:59   #3
silly_1977

These are both set to highest.
Old 24th July 2000, 01:23   #4
silly_1977

ok, somebody explain this one. I fixed the problem myslef but I am still going to offer the harddrive to the perosn who can solve this one. I switched my video drover display to 1280 x 1024 with 32 bit color from 1024 x 768 with 32 bit color and this took care of it. WHy is this happening my girlfriend can't see anything at the 1280 x 1024 so please figure something out.
Old 24th July 2000, 07:48   #5
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

the problem (i think) is that your videocard can't keep up with the rest of your system. is your rage agp or pci? 1280x1024 is a standard resolution, where 1024x768 is a forced mode. the rage seems to have an easier time in standard resolutions. (800x600 would probably solve the problem too) the only solutions i see for you are 1) change your resolution (which you already did, but didn't like) and 2) buy a new video card. (voodoo3 3000's are down to around $55 now)
Old 2nd March 2001, 01:03   #6
va_funk

After not much luck with the buffer and priority settings and so forth, I seem to have solved this problem by changing my display refresh rate from 75Hz down to 72Hz. Wow, BIG difference! The snaps, crackles and pops are gone! I think it's definitely related to video functions (esp. scrolling in IE windows) and DirectX, interfering with audio stream.

Running Windows 2000, 192MB RAM, DirectX 8, Nvidia TNT2-Pro w/32MB @ 1600x1200xTrue Color, Winamp 2.65.
Old 2nd March 2001, 22:41   #7
tyeguy

Send a message via AIM to tyeguy
if you still have problems, try this......

hi,
i also had this trouble over the last several months, and just solved it on my own earlier this week. the fix that worked for me was making sure that my drives were set to be dma-enabled in system/device manager. for some reason, they were not checked, and so i checked those boxes to enable dma, restarted, and haven't had a skip yet, no matter what i tried to do. try that if anything.

tye
Old 2nd March 2001, 22:43   #8
tyeguy

also.....

with that fix, you should be able to go to 2.72. i had left it alone for awhile, but now with this dma stuff fixed, i can work fine and enjoy the benefits of version 2.72. laters

tye
Old 2nd March 2001, 22:50   #9
tyeguy

me again...

screen resolution shouldn't be a biggie here. here's my specs

p3-450
128mb ram
10g hd
3dfx voodoo3 3000 (set at 1152x864 res/16-bit high color)
win98se
directx8

check out my post on this:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=43497

hope this solves your problems as it did mine :-)

tye
Old 9th March 2001, 21:33   #10
ultraviolet353

Hi. I am new to WINAMP. I am having the same problems with WINAMP skipping when I navigate the web. You said that you finally figured it out. I think I have the same problem because I am working with the same specs as you, including a yamaha soundcard. I'd love to hear how you figured the problem out.
Old 10th March 2001, 02:28   #11
tyeguy

check out my post on this:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=43497
Old 10th March 2001, 17:40   #12
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Try making sure in your BIOS that your soundcard doesn't share its IRQ with any other devices.

I'm figuring your soundcard has its IRQ shared with either your ethernet card or your comm-port.

Do you still have that hard drive?
Old 25th March 2001, 16:40   #13
Craig1982

Hi,

Ummm, I have a similar problem, but it's not actually skipping, it kinda lags...the playing MP3 slows down for a brief few seconds, then crackles then goes back to normal.
The only way overcome this is to reboot, then its fine. It seems to do it after my comp has been on for quite a long time, while surfing the Net. Like now for example, as I am writing this, I have Winamp playing and it's fine, but after a few hours of "heavy" Internet activity, it starts to lag and sometimes freezes a bit. I'm using the Nullsoft Crossfading Output Plugin v0.95, which I found out, somehow allows Winamp on my comp to play perfectly, without it I get a lot of skipping when opening/running programs. Also, I am on a 500Mhz Celeron, 64 MB RAM, with quite a decent Yamaha soundcard. (Still a crap system tho eh? lol)

I would be grateful if someone could help me out, cheers.
Old 25th June 2010, 02:34   #14
Donald M. Smith
Banned

That's the first time I heard about that trick!! so coooooolll! It's amazing how you learn form the forums. I have this site and I hope that everyone can visit it.
Domainalter
Old 26th June 2010, 06:15   #15
Lynn B. Bhatia
Banned

Maybe the problem is in your hard drive.. Just check it if it is still working fine.. Hope my simple advice have helped you.

name necklace
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support