Old 17th June 2000, 00:01   #1
sardj99

My windows got all screwed up and so now my winamp player is too big for my screen (the screen area or pixels changed) and I can't see all the songs in my songlist window. i can't see the bottom where i can make the playlist window smaller to fit the screen. Is there another way to fix that without having to fix my screen area/how many pixels? email me please!
sardj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2000, 03:37   #2
Bruce

Send a message via ICQ to Bruce
Ok, change the resolution of your screen to a higher res. You should see the whole window, re-size it and switch back to your usual res.

------------------
A+++
Bruce
www.bheller.com
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2000, 21:07   #3
sardj99

i can't change the resolution of my screen beacause my display properties ore screwed up. is there any other way to fix it?
Old 20th June 2000, 00:27   #4
Ole M

I've had the same probl.
The resize handle should be at the top/left
corner instead of bottom right!

To fix:
-close winamp
-open c:\program files\winamp.ini
-edit keys: pe_width=nnn & pe_height=nnn
-restart winamp

viola....
Ole M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2000, 00:46   #5
sardj99

Ole M
could you please explain what you yold me to try. i couldn't understand where to go, and i also don't know where to get winamp.ini
Old 20th June 2000, 13:41   #6
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

sardj99 -

Here's some more detailed instructions:

(1) Close Winamp if it is open.

(2) Using Windows Explorer, go to your Winamp folder, which is usually located at c:\Program Files\Winamp

(3) Inside the Winamp folder will be the file winamp.ini

(4) Note: If your Windows Explorer does not display the file extensions, go to the menu and click View / Folder Options, then select the View tab, then de-select (clear) the option "Hide file extensions for known file types".

(5) Right click on the file winamp.ini and select "Open". (If the first choice is "Open with..." instead, select it and then select "Notepad" from the list that pops up).

(6) Scroll down the list of settings until you get to "pe_width=xxx" and "pe_height=yyy". Change the xxx number to 525 and change the yyy number to 232.

(7) Close the winamp.ini window and select "Yes" when asked if you want to save the changes.

(8) Open Winamp and your playlist should now be a semi-normal size. If it is still too big, open winamp.ini again and change the pe_width=525 to a smaller number.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited June 20, 2000).]
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2000, 19:48   #7
THEMike
Bastificator [Alumni]

Or just delete winamp.ini, losing your settings, and saving some effort.

------------------
http://www.skinmaster.co.uk
NO Winamp Support emails will be answered.
THEMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2000, 23:07   #8
sardj99

what if i can't find a winamp.ini file at all? and not even having one it still won't do anything.
Old 22nd June 2000, 05:21   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What do you mean exactly by:

1. Your Display Properties are all screwed up ?
In what way and how ?

Can't you open the Display Control Panel ?

Click on the "Settings" tab and change [eg.]:
Color Palette = High Color (16 bit)
Desktop area = 800 x 600 pixels [dead centre]
Font size = small fonts

If you can't see the whole window, then drag it to the top of your desktop. If you still can't operate with the mouse due to parts of the panel not being visible, then use the TAB key [the one with two arrows, dar !] on your keyboard to switch between each field, and use the kybd cursor arrows to change a field entry. If this is the case, I'm afraid you'll have to use trial & error till you get it right ! It happened to me once when some shabby game crashed and failed to restore the default resolution afterwards. In which case, I feel your pain !

2. What if I can't find a winamp.ini at all

Everytime you open and close Winamp, a winamp.ini file is either created or modified [if it exists already]. There must be one in the Winamp Folder ! Why can't you find it ?

Goto Windows Search [Start -> Find -> Files or folders] and search for winamp.ini
Open this file with Notepad and follow the good Reverend Ike's instructions above !

Or, as The Mike says, deleting this file will restore all the original default settings next time you open Winamp.

3. And not even having one it still won't do anything

Errmmmm . . . .whaaaaat !?!?!
Please explain !

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Best of luck !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2000, 08:32   #10
sardj99

DJEgg i know what i'm talking about so don't be such a jerk to me. i looked and tried their instructions and it didn't help. i don't see a winamp.ini file. if i did i wouldn't have said anything. i am just trying to figure it out. And also my display properties are messed up right now. it can happen because it happened to me. so please if your gonna be such a jerk then why write to me in the first place
Old 23rd June 2000, 09:54   #11
dt9164

Send a message via AIM to dt9164
If you can't find the winamp folder right click on the shortcut to it on your desktop, and select properties. On the shortcut tab press the find target button, this will open the folder where winamp is installed. WINAMP.ini will be in the same folder. If you can't see it make sure windows is set to display all files. Once you find it just do as was suggested by Reverend Ike. And lay off DJEgg he can't help it if you don't clearly explain yourself.

------------------
Real men don't use sigs.
dt9164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2000, 11:03   #12
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

sardj99 -

Here's some additional tips and ideas. (Some of THEMike's and dt9164's suggestions have been repeated in the following paragraphs).

Open Windows Explorer and in the menu, click on "View" and then select "Folder Options". Next, click on the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files", make sure that "Show all files" is selected.

On the next line, make sure that "Hide file extensions for known file types" is NOT checked.

Then, follow dt9164's instructions. If for any reason this doesn't solve your problem, you have another option:

Make sure Winamp is closed. Then click your "Start" button, click "Find", and select "Files or Folders". In the window that pops up, after "Named" enter

winamp.ini

and after "Look in:" select "My Computer" and make sure that "Include subfolders" is checked. Then click the "Find Now" button.

When Windows finishes searching, it should show TWO files named "winamp.ini" - one is in the "C:/WINDOWS" folder and one is in the "C:/Program Files/Winamp" folder.

Right-click on the "winamp.ini" that says it is located in "C:/Program Files/Winamp", and then select "Delete" from the menu that pops up. (This is another way of following THEMike's suggestion).

Now open Winamp and your default playlist window should be back.

By the way, DJ Egg is a certified genius when it comes to playlist stuff. He wasn't trying to pick on you; sometimes two people just miscommunicate. It happens all the time in this Forum.

Old 23rd June 2000, 16:38   #13
Nabeel
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nabeel
no offence but sard it's a lil weird u couldn't find the winamp.ini file. actually these ini file initialize every prg. so there has to be a file. go here start -> find -> files, and type winamp.ini and look in the local drives.
and if you couldn't do nothing, then just re-install winamp and if that doesn't help either and you wanna fix the display prob just re-install windows. !

------------------
Nab the Crab.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2000, 01:20   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by sardj99:
DJEgg i know what i'm talking about so don't be such a jerk to me. i looked and tried their instructions and it didn't help. i don't see a winamp.ini file. if i did i wouldn't have said anything. i am just trying to figure it out. And also my display properties are messed up right now. it can happen because it happened to me. so please if your gonna be such a jerk then why write to me in the first place
---------------------------------

I wasn't going to reply at first, then I thought "What the heck", so here goes . . .

---------------------------------

It's you who's being the jerk Sardine head !

I was just trying to help in the most thorough and comprehensible way possible !
If you don't appreciate it then maybe it's you who shouldn't write to us in the first place. You've really hurt & upset me by your totally ungrateful comments.

To me it seems like "you don't know what you're talking about" whatsoever, so if you're going to post insulting comments like that then maybe you should just f**k off and get a life !

Maybe if you clearly read all of our instructions again, you 'd find the answers you are looking for !
The answer is there as clear as day !

If you reply to this in any way whatsoever that doesn't include some sort of apology, then . . . well . . . we'll see . . .
You apologize to me and I'll return the complements and we can then all be friends . . . the way it's meant to be !

--------------------------------

FAO : Rev. Ike & dt9164

Cheers for your kind comments . . . I really needed them after reading that . . . nice one !

--------------------------------

Signed:
A. Jerk
Old 24th June 2000, 01:41   #15
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Egg Man, YOU ARE THE MAN!
You've helped uncounted numbers of people in this forum and 99.99999999999999999% of us idolize and revere you.
Rock on!
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2000, 03:41   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Awww shucks !

You flatter me kind sir, now I'm really all embarrassed

Cheeeeeeeeeers !

You're doing a pretty fine job yourself my friend !

Ah well . . . back to work we go . . .

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 26th June 2000, 09:44   #17
sardj99

OK everyone. Fist of all i would like to say i'm sorry I am just a little frusterated with my computer and i shouldn't have been so mean. Second of all, i figured out what you meant when you said winamp.ini. i didn't put 2 and 2 together when you had said it was a notebook file. Because it wasn't in the Winamp file as winamp.ini it just said winamp. but i fixed it now and i would liek to thank you all for your help. sorry i am a little slow in figuring this stuff out. thanks again.
Old 26th June 2000, 10:32   #18
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

sardj99 -

Hey, I'm sure everybody's just glad your Winamp is working again. And, besides, now that we know what happened, we can blame it all on evil Microsoft.

You see, Microsoft always sets up Windows with the file extensions HIDDEN. That's why, when you looked in your Winamp folder, you found about 7 files named "winamp" and NONE named "winamp.ini". This is a COMMON problem.

Anyway, if you didn't do it already, I would highly recommend that you follow my earlier instructions (CHECK the "Show all files" box, and UNCHECK the "Hide file extensions" box) because doing that will prevent you from having other problems in the future.

Old 27th June 2000, 01:02   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Cool !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 27th July 2000, 00:21   #20