Old 11th August 2000, 17:50   #1
lostnewbie

I've read the faq and the older threads, and still cannot find an answer to my question. If I should have missed it, please point me to it.

I'm trying to transfer some data files from a win95 machine to a win98 machine. Specifically these are Netscape User folders, and some files have no file type associated, like "inbox". I burned a CD-RW using Easy CD Creator Rev3.5 on the win95 machine, and tried to read it on the win98 machine. The files without any file type specified on the win95 machine are turned into Winamp media files. The files with file type specified are fine.

The old thread talked about reassociating files with a file type specified, but did not address files with no file type associated.

Please help.
lostnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2000, 18:10   #2
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Hello

Try doing this. Go to the Preferences Window, click Option. Then, delete what is written in the "default extension for unknown file types" box. Close the Preferences Window and see if it works.

------------------
Twilightseer
This twilight garden turns into
A world where dreams are real...
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2000, 23:10   #3
lostnewbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work.
The "default extension for unknown file types" box indeed had "mp3" in it. But after clearing the box, the files that originally had no type extensions remain Winamp media files. I then created a text file and renamed it by deleting the type extension. It turned into a Winamp media file also. Where else is winamp association specified?

This is very nasty. Win98 won't let me create a new file type without a file type extension associated.
Old 13th August 2000, 05:37   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Try removing the checkmark next to "Register types on Winamp start" in Prefs -> File Types tab.
Disable the Winamp Agent [Prefs -> Agent tab -> uncheck all 3 options].
Close Prefs & exit Winamp.
Reboot.

Also, are you sure these files have got no extensions ?
When the folder is viewed as a webpage, what does it state as the description when you hi-lite these files ?
Is it just "File" or something else ?
Same goes for File -> Properties !?!?

I could go on, but we'll leave it at that for now and see how ya get on / what answers you come up with.

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 04:32 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2000, 18:27   #5
lostnewbie

Thanks, Egg for the suggestion.
I can't locate Winamp Agent. There is no Agent tab under Options>Preference. The version si v2.23 (x86) Jun 8 '99. Do I need a newer version to see Agent?
The files in question are created by Netscape, and have no file extensions. Not sure what you meant by "viewed as a webpage", but in File -> Properties, they are simply File. I tried adding .txt to one, and can read it as text, so at least that one is a text file.

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 04:33 PM]
Old 15th August 2000, 05:17   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, the Winamp Agent only appeared from v2.63 up to 2.64, so forget about that one.

Clearing the "Register Files . . ." option should have solved your problem.
Exit Winamp, then re-open and exit again !
Now reboot.

Do you have any other files on your HD without extensions, eg. PUB / FAX / ttfcache / etc, and are these also listed as Winamp Media Files ?

Anyway, don't add any extensions to them if you want to use them . . . so remove the .txt now !

You can always choose "Send To -> Notepad" if you want to view them, but most of these files are in binary data form & not ascii.

By the way, Netscape will still read these files as normal, regardless of what their description is.

However, it should be "File" and not "Winamp Media File", so do as I say above and that should solve your problem !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 04:33 PM]
Old 15th August 2000, 15:34   #7
lostnewbie

"Clearing the "Register Files . . ." option should have solved your problem. Exit Winamp, then re-open and exit again ! Now reboot."

Sorry, but that did not do the trick. The files still have Winamp media file associated.

"Do you have any other files on your HD without extensions, eg. PUB / FAX / ttfcache / etc, and are these also listed as Winamp Media Files ?"

For testing purpose, I renamed a file by removing its file extension. It immediately turns into a Winamp media file. Very nasty.

"Anyway, don't add any extensions to them if you want to use them . . . so remove the .txt now !"

Adding the .txt was just for testing purpose.

"You can always choose "Send To -> Notepad" if you want to view them, but most of these files are in binary data form & not ascii."

Agreed.

"By the way, Netscape will still read these files as normal, regardless of what their description is."

True.

"However, it should be "File" and not "Winamp Media File", so do as I say above and that should solve your problem !"

That's what I would expect, but it is not the case. Sure wish someone who knows either the winamp software or where else win98 keeps the association information can step up and enlighten us.

Thanks Egg for trying.

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 04:34 PM]
Old 15th August 2000, 17:35   #8
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Just out of curiosity, do you have a registry key named "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\." (note the period without any extension after it). I highly doubt that this is the case, but I just wanna make sure.
Also, could you post the contents of your "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*" key here? (Should be the very first key listed under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.) Perhaps the default value got set to Winamp.File.
Let us know if you need instructions on how to check things in your registry and how to copy and paste registry values.

[This message has been edited by Winsane (edited August 15, 2000).]
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2000, 20:41   #9
lostnewbie

Yes, I need some help with checking the registry. It has been a long while since I did that. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2000, 23:32   #10
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Go to your Start menu, click on "Run...", type in regedit and hit enter.
Click on the + sign next to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT".
Make a note of whether there's a key named "." (it would probably be the second one down).
Click on the "*" key (should be the first one down). Make a note of whatever it says in the right-hand pane. In particular, note what's in the "Data" column next to "(Default)" in the "Name" column. (I'm expecting that it'll either say "(value not set)" or "Winamp.File".)
Report the results back here.
Old 16th August 2000, 22:32   #11
lostnewbie

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\* has two items:
(Default) (value not set)
shellex ;a folder

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\. has three items:
(Default) "Winamp File"
Winamp_Back ""
CLSID ;a folder

I think we are getting warm! What next?
Old 17th August 2000, 04:30   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Weh hey !
Go on Winsane . . . the RegMaster does it again.

LostNewbie
1. Hi-lite the "Default" key and goto Edit -> Modify.
2. Delete "Winamp File" -> Okay.
3. Default should now be just ""

That should definitely do the trick.

You can probably totally delete the "Winamp_Back".
It's not mentioned anywhere in my Registry so I don't see why it should be in yours.

If you want to be on the safe side, wait for confirmation from Winsane on this one . . . 'cos he is the RegMaster after all !

Yo Winsane:
I've just noticed that I've got a key under "." for:
[Name] "Content Type" [Data] "video/mpeg"

I've got a sneaky feeling that this has got something to do with the Winamp option "default extension for unknown filetypes=mp3".
Am I correct in that assumption oh wise one ?

Hey, and congrats on your newly made mod status. Great stuff !

Over to you !

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 04:36 PM]
Old 17th August 2000, 11:58   #13
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Weirdness. I've never seen a "." key before, nor have I seen a "CLSID" key under a file extension key before.
Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg:
LostNewbie
1. Hi-lite the "Default" key and goto Edit -> Modify.
2. Delete "Winamp File" -> Okay.
3. Default should now be just ""

That should definitely do the trick.

You can probably totally delete the "Winamp_Back".
It's not mentioned anywhere in my Registry
[nowhere?!] so I don't see why it should be in yours.

If you want to be on the safe side, wait for confirmation from Winsane on this one . . . 'cos he is the RegMaster after all !
Confirmed.
Quote:

Yo Winsane:
I've just noticed that I've got a key under "." for:
[Name] "Content Type" [Data] "video/mpeg"
But no "CLSID"? I'd say go ahead and delete the whole "." key.
Quote:
I've got a sneaky feeling that this has got something to do with the Winamp option "default extension for unknown filetypes=mp3".
Am I correct in that assumption oh wise one ?
I doubt it, unless you're really sure that deleting the entry is what solved the problem before.
Quote:

Hey, and congrats on your newly made mod status. Great stuff !
Thanks!

lostnewbie, try this:
Select the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/./CLSID" key. There should be a long hex number in the right column of the right pane. (Let me know if there's anything more than just that.)
Scroll down to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID" key, and click on the + sign next to it. Find the key under "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID" whose name is the same as the hex number noted above, and select it. Post here whatever's in the right-hand pane, as well as the contents of any subkeys.
Also, do any of the other file extension keys (the ones directly under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that start with a period, e.g. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.doc) have a CLSID key under them?

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 04:39 PM]
Old 19th August 2000, 01:20   #14
lostnewbie

When I opened the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/./CLSID folder, there is (Default) (value not set) on the right pane, and nothing else. There is no long hex number.

There are also four folders under CLSID:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\CLSID\{F3D2DFC1-315B-11CE-BEA8-00AA0044301B}
the right pane has (default) "Activities Property Page"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\CLSID\{F3D2DFC2-315B-11CE-BEA8-00AA0044301B}
the right pane has (default) "Buttons Property Page"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\CLSID\{F3D2DFC3-315B-11CE-BEA8-00AA0044301B}
the right pane has (default) "Wheel Property Page"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\CLSID\{F3D2DFC4-315B-11CE-BEA8-00AA0044301B}
the right pane has (default) "PointerOptions Property Page"

Each of the above folder has a sub-folder by the same name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\CLSID\{F3D2DFC1-315B-11CE-BEA8-00AA0044301B}\InProcServer32

The right pane of each of these sub-folders has almost the same thing:
(Default) "C:\Msinput\Mouse\mouse32a.dll"
ThreadingModel "Apartment"

The only difference is that mouse32a will change to mouse32b, mouse32c, and mouse32d.

"Also, do any of the other file extension keys (the ones directly under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that start with a period, e.g. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.doc) have a CLSID key under them?"

There are too way many folders to go through manually to look for another CLSID. Is there a way to "Find" or "Search" for it?

I hope all these mean something to you guys, 'cause they are all Greek to me. I inherited this computer, and have not intentionally touched the registry. It used to be on a local network, and I'm now using it as a stand-alone. I know the registry is very important and is not widely understood. I have not made any changes to it yet, so please repeat the instruction. If possible, please point me to somewhere that will explain this beast in plain English. Or at least explain what is CLSID. Thanks, guys.
Old 19th August 2000, 07:23   #15
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Hmm. Very strange. I'm starting to get out of my league here, so perhaps someone else can help out (PP?). But I can help a little more.

Do you have a Microsoft Intellimouse?

To search for other CLSID keys, hit Ctrl+F (or go to the "Edit" menu and click on "Find...") and type in CLSID. Deselect "Values" and "Data" under "Look at". Then click the "Find Next" button. It'll then find the next CLSID key down the list. Press the F3 button until you get beyond the file extension (".*") entries.

Anyway, go ahead and delete the two entries that DJ Egg mentioned (the "Winamp.File" data value and the "Winamp_Back" string). Other than that, I'd leave everything else. I kinda doubt the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/. key is supposed to be there, but I'm not at all sure, and it's better to leave alone anything that you (or your tech support provider, i.e. me) don't understand. My dad's got an Intellimouse with the drivers installed (mine is a USB Intellimouse, and I've never bothered installing the drivers), so I'll try to remember to check out his registry tomorrow to see if I can get any more clues about this. (No promises, though.)

As for learning more about the registry:
CLSID stands for "Class Identifier" (no, I don't expect that to mean anything to you). Do you have a Windows 98 CD? If so, search for "Rk98book.chm" on it. This file is the Windows 98 Resource Kit Book Online. It includes a section about the registry, in case you're ready for some dense reading. You could also try searching the web for registry information and tutorials, though I don't happen to know of any sites. The way I've learned most of what I've learned, however, is by getting Norton Utilities and using its Registry Tracker program to see what changes are made to the registry, noticing what changes to the way my computer behaves corresponded to which of those changes, and using a good bit of logic and inference to figure out what things meant. The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key is, in my opinion, the easiest to learn about and the most useful to know about, so start with that. Of course, the average user doesn't really need to know anything about the registry other than to avoid messing with it without knowing what he or she is doing. Most users are better off just getting help from someone qualified whenever their registry needs tweaking. Knowledge about the registry is mainly for power users, programmers, and other computer geeks. It comes in handy if you mess with your computer a lot (i.e. installing tons of programs and tweaking all your settings), or if you're just plain curious about how everything works, but otherwise it's not really worth the time and effort (and risk, if you're editing it) to learn about. Also, I get the impression that you've got the brain for it, but anyone else reading this should keep in mind that it requires strong logical abilities and the ability to think like a computer, which a majority of people aren't quite up to.

Hey, Egg, do you have an Intellimouse too?

[This message has been edited by Winsane (edited August 19, 2000).]
Old 20th August 2000, 02:21   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winsane,
No I don't have an Intellimouse.
I use a Logitech Trackman.

Besides, I'm pretty much certain that this has got nothing to do with lostnewbie's problem.

Hey, it's been a while since I've seen any posts from PP.
He's probably working on his MP3 Encoder plug-in after I brought it to his attention that it doesn't work with the linein:// command.

LostNewbie,
Deleting the 2 keys we've referred to should solve all your problems.

Let us know if it works.
Old 21st August 2000, 16:49   #17
lostnewbie

Editing the two keys as suggested did the trick. The files without an extension are no longer associated as Winamp media files. What a battle! One last question, were the keys in question entered manually, or by some program?

I do have an Intellimouse. Both it and the keyboard are connected to the USB connectors.
Why the question?

I agree the registry is something to treat with respect, left to the experts.

Thank you guys for your patience and help.
Old 23rd August 2000, 01:59   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeeharr !
Glad it worked !

Forget about the Intellimouse thing [N/A].

I've a very strong feeling that Winamp is actually the program that registered these keys.
Something to do with the "Register files on Winamp start" option combined with "Default ext for unknown filetypes"

This was a bug in older versions of Winamp that has long since been fixed [along with many others]

You've got v2.23 which is pretty ancient.
If I were you, I'd upgrade to 2.64 right away.
Or at least upgrade to 2.5c which was the very first totally freeware version.

All versions are available at: http://members.xoom.com/Winamps -or- www.winampheaven.com

You may want to backup any extra skins & plug-ins first.
Also, try saving your old in_mp3.dll and experiment between this and the new one to see if you notice any difference in quality.
The old one is Fraunhofer based whereas the new one is Nitrane.

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 23rd August 2000, 19:34   #19
lostnewbie

"If I were you, I'd upgrade to 2.64 right away. Or at least upgrade to 2.5c which was the very first totally freeware version."

Thanks for the suggestion.

"You may want to backup any extra skins & plug-ins first. Also, try saving your old in_mp3.dll and experiment between this and the new one to see if you notice any difference in quality."

What skins, where? Remember, I'm a newbie.

"The old one is Fraunhofer based whereas the new one is Nitrane."

Now your are really testing my German, or is it Greek?

I'm just beginning to download mp3s. I noticed that for the same song, the file sizes from different sources can vary dramatically. This leads me to think that not all mp3s are created equally. Where can I learn more?
Old 24th August 2000, 19:42   #20
MassiveAsstack

STUPID BUTTHEAD! It's easy as this my friend. Click the file and hold shift down while right clicking on it. THen click open with.. and choose what program you would like to associate it with. it's easy as that. )
MassiveAsstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2000, 03:54   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ahem, Massive ASStack . . . your post here is totally irrelevant.
If you care to read the whole thread properly you'll find that these files do not have any extensions and are not supposed to open with anything by default !
They are not meant to be in the Registered File Types whatsoever !

We all know about the "Shift -> Right Click -> Open with" option, which would have been fine if the problem had been with MP3 or WAV or any other recognised extension, but not here !

Besides, we've already solved LostNewbie's problem [yeehar].

Now who's the stupid butthead ?
[Comments we can do without, by the way]

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by Jayn on 12-19-2000 at 04:42 PM]
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support