Old 20th December 2009, 17:05   #1
crack1up

Install error "Ripping and Burning" fail to install

"There was a problem installing components. CD Ripping/Burning may not function properly..'-1'"

I am running Windows 7 32 bit. I got the same error for 5.56 also. Nero is installed but is not running. I try the install on a clean start up and still get the error.

Can someone help me figure this out? Thanks.
crack1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:21   #2
crack1up

Two days and no response. Has this issue not been addressed for Windows 7? I install this version on a Vista Basic machine with no issues.
crack1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 11:47   #3
lrankine

BUMP! I have this same issue.
lrankine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 12:42   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

FAQ

Winamp Installer: There was a problem installing components. CD Ripping/Burning may not function properly.. '-1'
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....61#post2609061

Alas, I don't have anything else for you right now :-(
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 13:01   #5
lrankine

Thanks DJ for the reply! I'll just hang in until you folks get a Win 7 64 bit version released. By the way I was able to sort out my visualizer issue (and a few others) however it took a clean install of V5.56 to get there. For some reason Win 7 64 bit(on my PC) doesn't play well with 5.57. So all is well for now!
lrankine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:06   #6
ericbourland

I have the same problem.

"There was a problem installing components. CD Ripping/Burning may not function properly. -1"

This is disappointing, since I bought WinAmp mainly to use it to rip my audio CDs to FLAC.

If the problem is the Sonic engine, is there an outlook for a new Sonic engine?

I use Windows 7, 32-bit. But I also encountered this problem with Vista 32-bit.
ericbourland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:20   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You should be able to uncheck "Use sonic engine" (or wtte) in:
Winamp -> Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> CD Ripping -> Ripping tab
and Winamp will then use the Windows native SPTI engine for ripping instead.

Sonic is only really required for burning, not ripping.

If there's a problem with your spti engine
(I unchecked 'Sonic Engine' in the installer options, and ripping works fine for me with spti on Win7),
then you could try placing Nero's wnaspi32.dll in the Winamp folder (where winamp.exe is), then restart Winamp.
Winamp will now use APSI for ripping instead.

As for the cause of the actual Sonic installation error,
we're still looking into it, but haven't been able to fathom it out yet.
It works fine on some systems, regardless of OS, but not on others.
Ideally, we should do away with Sonic and use native Windows imapi/spti instead
(though this will mean there'll be no native burning/ripping support on Win2k)...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:01   #8
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
... Ideally, we should do away with Sonic and use native Windows imapi/spti instead
(though this will mean there'll be no native burning/ripping support on Win2k)...
+1 from me Egg, I pretty much gave up on Winamp for CDs when the IMAPI services where moved out.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....77#post2374277

Shame really, Winamp was once a very capable CD playback/ripping program.
Still is I suppose, if you can get beyond the Sonic irritations.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:10   #9
ericbourland

Hello, DJ Egg and ujay, thanks very much for these replies. I am going to try out DJ Egg's suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes. Peace. Eric
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:24   #10
ericbourland

Well, unfortunately, even when I uncheck the Sonic engine, WinAmp hard-locks my computer when I try to rip a CD.

I'll try the Nero ASPI and let you know what I get.

Eric
Old 24th January 2010, 02:56   #11
ericbourland

The Nero ASPI did not solve the problem either. Whenever I try to play, or rip, an audio CD from my DVD/CD drive, my computer hard-locks and I need to toggle the power button to reboot.

I will check back in this forum now and then to see if anybody finds a solution. In the meantime I'm going find another solution to rip my purchased audio CDs to FLAC.

Thanks again for your help.

Eric
Old 12th March 2010, 22:07   #12
Frank C

Install error

Hi,
I got the error "There was a problem installing components. CD Ripping/Burning may not function properly.. '-1'" when I installed Pro. I restored my system to a recovery point prior to the install of Pro. I upgraded the Winamp free version that I then had to 5.572 Full free version. Even then I got the same message on install. I checked out ripping and burning and they both worked. Then I put my name and registration key in Options > Preferences > Winamp Pro.
All seemed well. The Pro features were unlocked. I tried ripping to .mp3 format at 8x that worked OK. I did not try burning but I expect it will work also!
I don't know if these steps will work for others but it may be worth a try!
Regards
Frank C
Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2

Frank C
Dell Inspiron 530S
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2
Winamp V5.66
Frank C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 02:29   #13
orgevo

That's one stubborn bug

It's pretty amazing that this bug has been around for a little over a year now. Are you guys not getting enough detailed info/repro steps or is it something that you've determined isn't solvable (feasibly) by you? I just ran into this today after I installed Windows 7 on my desktop. Few pieces of info:

- Absolute fresh install of Windows7, 64-bit. WinAmp was one of the first things I installed.

- I've had this machine for about 2 years (was using Vista 32bit), and have used WinAmp to rip or burn music on this machine (same hardware, same DVD burner) many times in that two years

- On my Vista installation, I had tons of other stupid programs for burning, ripping, managing, organizing (etc. etc.) CD/DVDs; some of it came with the computer. Some of it I installed to try and never used really used it again. But there was plenty of potential for conflicts or contention over control of the DVD driver (which has been suggested as a possible culprit, if I recall correctly).

- One other odd thing happened to me with this Windows 7 installation, with regards to the DVD burner. When windows first came up, the DVD burner wasn't showing up in explorer at all. In device manager, it had the yellow ! on it. The error code it listed was really odd: "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)".

After quite a bit of digging, I found a solution which has apparently affected a lot of other people:
http://forums.techarena*****vista-set...ll/1072453.htm

By removing this "piggy-backing" driver from my DVD's device entry, I was able to regain use of it. It might be completely unrelated, but the fact that the driver which caused my DVD to suddenly disappear in Windows 7 was made Sonic made me think it worth mentioning.

Is there anyway you could share a bit more of what you guys have learned about this issue? At least, something more substantial or technically detailed than the error message that WinAmp gives us during installtion - Or if there has already been a thread where the technical details of what's actually happening have been covered, please point me in that direction. We gotta get this fixed : )
orgevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 19:05   #14
winmanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
You should be able to uncheck "Use sonic engine" (or wtte) in:
Winamp -> Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> CD Ripping -> Ripping tab
and Winamp will then use the Windows native SPTI engine for ripping instead.

Sonic is only really required for burning, not ripping.

If there's a problem with your spti engine
(I unchecked 'Sonic Engine' in the installer options, and ripping works fine for me with spti on Win7),
then you could try placing Nero's wnaspi32.dll in the Winamp folder (where winamp.exe is), then restart Winamp.
Winamp will now use APSI for ripping instead.

As for the cause of the actual Sonic installation error,
we're still looking into it, but haven't been able to fathom it out yet.
It works fine on some systems, regardless of OS, but not on others.
Ideally, we should do away with Sonic and use native Windows imapi/spti instead
I have this same issue. !
i can't...
winmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support