Old 14th September 2000, 20:44   #1
dac

Hi,
Windows CD player works find. However, when attempting to play a CD from Winamp I get the following error message after CD starts to play intermittently and over PC slows to a crawl: "Winamp cause an invalid page fault in module winmm.dll at 0177:bfe17202. Running Winamp V2.64 on 233 MMX Pentium, w/64M RAM on W98
dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2000, 02:48   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Mmm . . that's weird !
First time I've ever heard of that particular error message.
winmm.dll is the Windows MultiMedia Application Interface Library.

I'm sure you wanted to know that, but I can't think why the hell you get the error, especially seeing that WinCDPlayer works ok.

Do you get the error when playing other formats with Winamp [MP3, WAV, MID]?

R.U. using any extra plug-ins [Gen Purpose, DSP/FX, autorun Vis] ?

What is your soundcard & do you have the latest drivers ?

One suggestion is maybe:
Goto: Prefs -> Input -> CD Plugin -> Configure
If there is or isn't a checkmark next to "sample input from soundcard", do the opposite.

Also, have you tried using the CDReader plugin instead of the default one ?
[Be sure to read the accompanying txt file]

Let us know how ya get on !

----------
DJ-Egg

[Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 10:52 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2000, 02:55   #3
dac

DjEgg,
Thanks for the prompt reply! I can stream an mp3 radio station ok. I'm using a relatively lo fi Compaq Deskpro with an ESS1868 sound card (ESS Technology). Have no idea what its capabilities are. I unchecked the box in preferences and I'll see what happens.
Old 15th September 2000, 03:32   #4
dac

DJEgg,
Problem is localized to CD playback. I checked pref under plugins and under DSP/FX, there is none, under Gen purp=none, and under visualization=winamp visualization studio V2.0.6. After winamp chokes my system when I attempt to play a CD, I cntrl alt, del to try and shut it down. I then get Winamp [not responding], Explore [not responding], msgsrv32 [not responding]. Finally I can get winamp to close! Then if I click on a bookmark for a radio station I get the following error: Could not create direct sound object. I then need to re-boot. When I come back up, if I click on the same bookmark, I can stream audio just fine. I only did the standard install, whatever it is that winamp does. Thanks!
Old 16th September 2000, 04:53   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Goto: "Prefs -> Output" and select "WaveOut".
It sounds to me like you've been trying to use the DirectSound Output.

[Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 10:54 PM]
Old 18th September 2000, 21:53   #6
dac

Dear DJEgg,
Under pref>Output, the following output plug ins are listed: NullsoftwaveOut plug-in v2.02(x86)[Out_wave.dll]; Nullsoft WMA Ouput plug-in v0.90 (x86) [Out_wm.dll]; Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in v1.0 (x86) [out_disk.dll]; Nullsoft Direct Sound plug-in v0.96 [out_ds.dll]; Nullsoft DirectSound plug-in v0.96 [out_ds.dll]. If I "Congfigure" Nullsoft waveOut plug-in
the output device selected is WaveMapper. Is this correct?
Thanks!

[Edited by Jayn on 12-18-2000 at 10:55 PM]
Old 19th September 2000, 00:22   #7
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

dac -

WaveMapper should work OK in most cases. As an alternative, you can use that drop-down menu and select a choice that sounds more specific to your soundcard, but I wouldn't worry about that at this point. I've always used WaveMapper and it's worked fine.

The default Winamp installation includes four Output plugins, but you listed FIVE, including two instances of DirectSound. Was that correct or was that a typo? How many "out_xxx.dll" files do you actually have in your Plugins folder?

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited September 18, 2000).]
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2000, 00:32   #8
dac

Rev Ike,
That was a typo. There are indeed only 4.
Old 19th September 2000, 00:42   #9
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

dac -

Good deal. If you have any further problems, just post a reply and we will help you out (meaning DJ Egg will do all the hard work and I'll just answer one easy question at the very end).

Old 19th September 2000, 00:47   #10
dac

Rev Ike,
Still doesn't work properly when attempting to play a CD. Is there anything else you think I should check out?
Thanks
Old 19th September 2000, 02:27   #11
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

dac -

If you go to Winamp Preferences and select Options, where is the Process priority class set? You might try moving the slider to the High setting or maybe even the Realtime setting, and try playing a CD without any other programs running. Post a reply if you still have a problem.

Your current processor doesn't really have the horsepower to play CDs and run a lot of other stuff simultaneously. Even if the above suggestion works, you should not try to run CPU-intensive applications at the same time that you're playing CDs through Winamp.

Long-term solutions: Make MP3 files from your CDs and/or wait until you can upgrade to a faster processor. Also, the next Winamp versions (2.666 and 3) promise to improve the CD-handling features in Winamp, which may solve your problem instantly.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited September 18, 2000).]
Old 19th September 2000, 04:20   #12
dac

Rev Ike,
I'm sure that's the problem. This PC is just a pig by today's CPU standards. Thanks!
Old 19th September 2000, 04:43   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi Rev,

Looks like you've done all the hard work this time !

dac

Did you try changing the output device in the WaveOut Output plug-in to one that best matched the name of your soundcard ?

Talking of which, have you got the latest drivers for your soundcard ?

Also, did you try the CDReader plugin ?
Be sure to read the accompanying txt file and rename in_cdda.dll with the .old ext [for backup purposes]
Old 19th September 2000, 21:14   #14
dac

Rev Ike,
"Also, did you try the CDReader plugin ?
Be sure to read the accompanying txt file and rename in_cdda.dll with the .old ext [for backup purposes]"
I did read the "what's new.txt", which I believe is the text file you were referring to. I don't understand your comment about renaming in_cdda.dll. I really think the problem is the PC. The winamp program eventually just kills the PC. Explorer ends up "not responding" after I exit, etc. I think I need more Horsepower. THanks for all the help!
Old 20th September 2000, 03:39   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Right-e-o !

I take it you have downloaded & installed the CDReader Plug-in from the link I provided above ?!?!

In the Winamp Plugins folder there should now be a sub-directory called "CDReader Documentation".
In here is the "Readme.txt" that explains exactly what to do [bear in mind that the Author is Russian & his command of the English language isn't 100%].
Basically, for the CDReader to work, you need to rename Winamp's default CD-Plugin from "in_cdda.dll" to something like "in_cdda.dll.old" [as I suggest] or "in_cdda.dll.off" [as the author suggests].
You do this by opening the folder in Explorer, hi-lite the said file and from the File Menu, select "Rename".

After this close the folder & open Winamp.
Try playing a CD again.
[Winamp main menu -> Play -> Audio CD]

The renaming process is incase the new plug-in doesn't work. If this is the case, exit Winamp, re-open the plug-ins folder & delete the CDReader plug-in [in_cdreader.dll] & its subfolder [as mentioned above].
Now rename the original CD Plug-in back to in_cdda.dll
Sadly, this returns you back to square one.

I also take it that you've tried everything else we've suggested & to no avail ?

Basically, Winamp should run fine on a P233 with 64MB RAM & Win98.
The main detrimental factors could be your poor-quality soundcard and, sad to say, the even poorer quality Compaq chips (CPU/motherboard).
Have you got all the latest drivers?
Or have you considered getting a new soundcard [eg. SBLive]
Though, if Windows CDPlayer works, then there is no reason why Winamp shouldn't too !

If all else fails, maybe try uninstalling v2.64 and installing the latest version.

Let us now how ya get on.
Best of luck -> DJ-Egg.
Old 20th September 2000, 19:45   #16
dac

DJEgg,
YOU rock! Installed Vladmir's CD plugin and it seems to be just fine. Does his readme file explain why this works better? Also what is CDDA? A zillion thanks.
Old 21st September 2000, 04:55   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Rev

No, you were right Ike.
I did all the hard work again . . but I'm definitely gonna let you answer the simple question at the end [what's CDDA . . . etc]

dac

Glad it worked.
Oh yeehar !
Old 21st September 2000, 05:28   #18
dac

DJEgg,
I don't want to take any more of your time. It played the one tune, at which time I e-mailed you. When that tune finished, I got the following error: "ASPI error 0x4 (SRB completed w/error), Sense key: 0x3 (Medium error) Sense code: 0x0 0x0 (No additional sense information)". I think I'm giving up.

Take care,
Old 21st September 2000, 06:11   #19
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
Ooh, ASPI. My fav. Try updating your ASPI drivers (you can search for 'em anywhere, or get 'em at www.driverguide.com )

You know, if the dev's aren't doing it already, they ought to just use the cdreader plug for WA3.
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2000, 10:26   #20
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

dac -

CDDA = Compact Disc - Digital Audio

It is the format used by most Audio CDs.

Sorry I gave up on your system too early, but at least Egg was around to set me straight and help you out. You might try updating your ASPI drivers, as ReDVsion suggested, before you give up.

But, if you don't want to bother with it for now, try to remember to check back for the next couple of Winamp upgrades (version 2.666 and version 3). The CD playback function is being improved, and version 3 (if not version 2.666) should give you a better result on your system.
Old 22nd September 2000, 04:26   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi dac, I'm back !

So what you're sayin' is that it plays the first track but won't proceed on to the next one. You get that error message instead.

Mmm . . . I don't suppose you've enabled "Manual Playlist Advance" in Prefs -> Options ?
If so, remove the checkmark.

If not, then definitely try updating your CD-ROM & ASPI drivers.

There is a few tweaks you can try with the CDReader.

Goto: Prefs -> Input -> CDReader -> Configure
Hi-lite the "Drive" entry & click "configure".
There'll be a few different options to choose from in the drop down menus.

Main thing to check is that the correct ASPI Driver is assigned to the corresponding drive/device. Sometimes CDReader gets these mixed up if there's more than one device (eg. CD-ROM & CD Burner / CD-RW & DVD drive / etc)

You can also try changing the Interface to Win32 instead of ASPI
(though this is usually for WinNT/2K based systems only)

The other settings mainly relate to certain tweaks (speed/skip-protection etc) and should've been auto detected. Though it's usually the Interface & ASPI Driver config sections which relate to the ASPI errors, so make sure they're 100% correct.

Good luck !
Old 23rd September 2000, 01:36   #22
dac

Rev Ike,
Thanks. I've got a new computer; AMD K6 450 w/128M RAM. I've given up on the Compaq. I'll see what happens with the new rig. May take a while, but I'll let you know.

You rock!
Old 23rd September 2000, 06:37   #23
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

dac -

Well, now you've got enough power to start playing around with all sorts of dodgy visualization plugins, and you can check into the forums with a brand-new set of problems (just kidding).

Seriously: Good luck, and I think getting away from Compaq is a good move.
Old 24th September 2000, 02:44   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, we all know Rev Ike rocks, for sure !
But hey, boo !
What about lil ol' me ?
Don't I rock too ?

I'm going off to sulk in a dark lonely corner somewhere.
Old 25th September 2000, 22:07   #25
dac

DJEgg,
YOU DO ROCK, ALSO! My oversight. Thanks to all of you guys who take the time to help others out.
Old 27th September 2000, 04:18   #26
dietrich

What happens if you try everything listed here, and none of your CD-ROM drives can play audio CD's with WinAmp 2.65. All drives can play with WM7, but I hate WM7 because it skipps between each track. However, I cannot play CD's with WinAmp at all.

I've downloaded plug-ins, renamed .dll files, and nothing works.

I always get the same thing: Crackling noises whenever I play CDs.

Can someone please help so I don't have to go back to WM7?

Thanks.
Old 27th September 2000, 05:03   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Dietrich
Have you also tried everything listed here ?

c/o "TSGH Forum", check this thread and follow the links from there:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=36850
[RE: "Problems with Audio CD" section]

[Edited by DJEgg on 04-29-2001 at 01:08 PM]
Old 30th September 2000, 04:44   #28
dietrich

Yes, I've tried all of that too. From what I'm seeing, there are many people who are having the same problems I am having with WinAmp not playing audio CD's, and they are not ever getting resolved. Anyway, why should I have to go to another web site and download a totally different driver that was not included with the installation of WinAmp, install it, and rename the old one. Although I had no problems trying it, it didn't even work. When I want to listen to CD's, I don't want to spend time tweaking software - I just want to listen to music.

The CD "plays" and a few tracks are detected from CDDB, but not all of them though (?), and the sound coming out of the speakers is a crackling noise that seems to escalate to the music, break between tracks, then start up again.

It doesn't matter what settings I change in WinAmp, it always does this. I have 3 different types of CD drives, and they each do this.

Any ideas as to when a new version of WinAmp will be out where you can just install it and use it?
Old 30th September 2000, 13:07   #29
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

dietrich -

Winamp version 2.666 is expected in October, and version 3.0 (major upgrade) is expected in December. I'm not sure how many CD-related improvements will be included in version 2.666.

Old 4th October 2000, 00:00   #30
dac

My Man Rev
I've got a new PC now and I'm going to download winamp and see if same issues arise. If I'm lucky they won't.
Thanks!
Old 4th October 2000, 02:31   #31
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

dac -

No, if DJ Egg and myself are lucky, they won't.

Old 5th November 2001, 17:20   #32
Kingsleys12

CD Player not working

Winamp didn't play CDs at all. No sound, nothing. MediaPlayer worked. I load the CD Reader Plugin. I renamed the other .dll

Now Winamp doesn't recognize the tracks. Listed as data.

Any ideas?

Kingsleys12
Kingsleys12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support