Old 7th October 2000, 17:38   #1
gadjtguy

I just downloaded Winamp as an attempt at a new "Cool" player for an internet stream that I listen to a lot (www.grooveradio.com). Seems their website offers both a "RealAudio" stream or a "Windows Media Player" stream (which is my default). I was hoping that Winamp would "take over" the stream once it was installed instead of the Windows Player, but alas, that isn't happening.

Can anyone more experienced (which is everybody) with Winamp let me know if my above assumptions are correct, and also, is any able to actually get WinAmp to play the stream for them?

Thanx a million...
Old 8th October 2000, 04:04   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

GrooveRadio offers streams in secure formats only :
ASX [ASF shortcut - Windows Media Audio Stream] to play with WindowsMediaPlayer
Plus whatever secure format RealPlayer uses [possibly SMIL].
I checked out the site and was also forced to use WMP.
Sorry, didn't try it with Real Player, can't stand it !

Unless there's an input plugin available that can make Winamp the default for either of these secure formats, then I'm afraid you have no choice, alas.
I don't think any such plugins exist. Not sure . . . anybody ?

The streams are totally live, not m3u / pls playlists.

Bugger !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2000, 18:44   #3
gadjtguy

Thanks for checking, DJ Egg. I also sent an email to the folks at GrooveRadio.com to see if there's another way to do this. Well see.
Old 15th October 2000, 23:30   #4
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

I'm not sure whether it'll work, but for the RealAudio stream, try this:
First, download and install Innover's RealAudio plug-in, or Hellsoft's Realized plug-in. (The connection to the latter's website seems to be quite intermittent. If you can't connect at first, just keep trying every once in a while.)
Then, open Winamp, right-click on the play button, click on "Open location...", and then copy and paste the following line into the Open location box: http://www.grooveradio.com/media/str...smi_opener.ram
Then hit enter.
If that doesn't work with either plug-in, then I think you're out of luck for now with the RealAudio version of Groove Radio.
Gimme a few more minutes and I'll see if I can figure anything out for the Windows Media version.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2000, 23:56   #5
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Same as above for the Windows Media stream, except this time you need to try the NiceMC plug-in or Weedsoft's Video Plug-in; and the location to put in the Open location box should be http://www.grooveradio.com/servlet/M...adio_wmp28.asx.
Old 18th October 2000, 03:37   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Mmm . . . I tried the RAM link seeing I've already got Innover's Real Plugin but, although a Window opened & the stream started playing for about 2 secs, I then got an "Unknown Error" box, the stream stopped & after clicking "Okay" the window closed too.
Bummer !
On trying the link for a second time by clicking "Play" I got another error message saying "Unable to open location, stream closed".
Double secure bummer !
I can't be bothered trying the Weedsoft/ASX method . . . tho' has anyone else got either to work ?
Old 18th October 2000, 03:42   #7
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

I couldn't get the RealMedia version to work, either, but I figured it was possible that it might work for someone with a different version of RealPlayer. (I think there's a little video involved in that stream, and I know I haven't got the latest Real video codec installed.)

I couldn't get the Windows Media version to work either, but for that matter I can't get it to work with Windows Media Player either.
Old 18th April 2001, 23:57   #8
panzerfaust

Grooveradio trouble

If anything new develops with the grooveradio.com stream please Email me rollgood@hotmail.com. This problem has been what I have been working on since I installed Winamp a few days ago (After the RealProblems VIII were solved). Thank you.
panzerfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2001, 06:51   #9
GradyBigfoot

Streaming in General

I'm having streaming problems too - but only with I think 2.74 - I think I have 2.73 at my office. But I can no longer stream from MP3.COM and MY.MP3.COM. It doesn't recognize it to even start playing. There seems to be a lot of crap with 2.74 going on - should I go back in time? Or is anyone having success with MP3.com - and is this the same secure issue....?
GradyBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2001, 18:20   #10
Sawg

Re: Streaming in General

Quote:
Originally posted by GradyBigfoot
I'm having streaming problems too - but only with I think 2.74 - I think I have 2.73 at my office. But I can no longer stream from MP3.COM and MY.MP3.COM. It doesn't recognize it to even start playing. There seems to be a lot of crap with 2.74 going on - should I go back in time? Or is anyone having success with MP3.com - and is this the same secure issue....?
Guaranteed fix : http://help.mp3.com/help/installer/MP3Fix.exe
Further help : http://help.mp3.com/help/article/con...e_windows.html
Old 21st April 2001, 22:58   #11
A Plugin Developer

How soon we forget... the innover plugin is inferior compared to Tara's plugin which has no problem playing the RA stream linked below.

As for the MS stream, just d/l the asx file and open it in notepad, you'll see the stream... paste this into WA to listen to it (you need to add the "/.wma"):
mms://netshow.mp.intervu.net/grooveradio_wmp_20/.wma

Quote:
Originally posted by Winsane
I'm not sure whether it'll work, but for the RealAudio stream, try this:
First, download and install Innover's RealAudio plug-in, or Hellsoft's Realized plug-in. (The connection to the latter's website seems to be quite intermittent. If you can't connect at first, just keep trying every once in a while.)
Then, open Winamp, right-click on the play button, click on "Open location...", and then copy and paste the following line into the Open location box: http://www.grooveradio.com/media/str...smi_opener.ram
Then hit enter.
If that doesn't work with either plug-in, then I think you're out of luck for now with the RealAudio version of Groove Radio.
Gimme a few more minutes and I'll see if I can figure anything out for the Windows Media version.
A Plugin Developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2001, 11:48   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

APD
Bear in mind that this thread originated back in July 2000.
It was only recently re-opened by panzerfaust.
I was trying to find a link from a few weeks back that also explained your same solution . . . but couldn't find it anywhere.
Thanks for posting it again . . . phew!
Old 23rd April 2001, 03:21   #13
A Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
APD
Bear in mind that this thread originated back in July 2000.
It was only recently re-opened by panzerfaust.
I was trying to find a link from a few weeks back that also explained your same solution . . . but couldn't find it anywhere.
Thanks for posting it again . . . phew!
Aahh shiiiaaat... sorry I didn't see that it originated back in July 2000. That explains why Winsane posted what he did... sorry Winsane.

Oh well, I'm glad panzerfaust re-opened this thread because those groove streams are nice.
A Plugin Developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2002, 16:33   #14
ev001

Send a message via ICQ to ev001
5\/\/337

Sweet!! I got my radio station to work!!

Thanks A Plugin Developer
ev001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support