Old 19th October 2000, 12:55   #1
KRICHARDS

Hello, I found out that you should switch your output device under winamp preferences to "directsound" and this will enable you to listen to MP3s if your sound device is already in use by something else (such as a game). I like to play full screen games such as Starcraft and Red Alert, so I was very pleased to discover this. However, when I try to play a WMA file, I get the error message: Winamp/WMA(x86): MMSYSTEM004 The specified device is already in use. Please wait until it is free and try again.

Now I know that you can play WMAs during a game because Windows media player will do it. Does anyone know why it fails with winamp?
Old 20th October 2000, 04:58   #2
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Hmm. I know the latest WMA input plug-ins don't allow alternative output plug-ins, so as to prevent using a disk writer plug-in to convert WMAs into non-secure formats. I assumed that it only allowed the waveOut plug-in and the DirectSound plug-in, but perhaps it doesn't even allow the DirectSound plug-in and automatically uses waveOut. So, try this:
Download and temporarily install Winamp 2.5e or Winamp 2.6 (you can get them from winampheaven). Then go to your Winamp/Plugins folder, find your in_wm.dll, and copy it to a temporary folder. Reinstall Winamp 2.65, then copy the old in_wm.dll back to your Winamp/Plugins folder, overwriting the new one. Then try using it with your game again. If that doesn't work, try doing the same thing, but this time download Winamp 2.24 and try its in_wm.dll. Then post your results back here. If it didn't work, we'll take it from there, and if it did, we'll then be able to help anyone else with the same question in the future.

[edit]

<<inserted by DJ-Egg>>

The old WMA Input plugin is available here:
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/oldshit/WMAOld.zip
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2000, 06:24   #3
KRICHARDS

Hey!! Well I tried the lite version of 2.6 first, with no luck. Then I tried the full version of 2.24 and when I got its wm_in.dll file and put it in with my 2.65 version Winamp it works great!! Thanks for the info! Do you know if there will be any DISadvantages to having this older WMA dll? The first time I played a song it was distorted, but when I hit stop and then play again, the songs seem to play just like they did before.

You didn't specify if I needed the full or the minimal install versions, so I don't know if the 2.5e or 2.6 would work if you got the *FULL* version and used the .dll there.. Anyway, thanks for the info. This should help everyone. By the way, there are programs that let you convert WMAs into WAVS or MP3s.. I even used one. So I don't know why the .dll would try to prevent this. I think the prog I used was CoolDecode. Anyway, who writes this .dll? How can I request that they add support for DirectSound in the future, so I won't have to worry about saving this small .dll file and restoring it after every update?
Old 20th October 2000, 06:48   #4
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Aha! As I suspected! Hey Egg, how about adding this thread to your useful links posts?

Sorry, forgot to mention that only the full versions of Winamp (since it split into two versions of each release) come with an in_wm.dll. I'd say give the in_wm.dll from the full version of Winamp 2.5 or 2.6 a try. According to Winamp's whatsnew.txt, version 2.5 added "Final WMA support for full version", so I would assume that something was improved there. Perhaps optimizations or stability fixes, perhaps a slightly better quality codec (I remember Microsoft released two versions of their WMA format, and I think the 2.24 in_wm.dll might be from the version 1 era). But if the Winamp 2.5/2.6 in_wm.dll doesn't work, I would just go back to the 2.24 version, unless you encounter any major problems.

Also from the whatsnew.txt:

"Winamp 2.61:
* In accordance with Microsoft's license agreement, we no longer allow you to
use DSP plug-ins or alternate output plug-ins when playing WMA files."

So good luck trying to convince Microsoft to allow alternate output plug-ins.
I'm not sure what the story is with programs such as CoolDecode.
Old 20th October 2000, 09:06   #5
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

It just occured to me that I could test the Winamp 2.5/2.6 in_wm.dll myself (dar!), which I've already got installed (I replace it after each time I install a new version of Winamp). So I opened up two instances of Winamp, tried playing an MP3 and a WMA at the same time, using the waveOut plug-in, and got the MMSYSTEM004 message. I then switched them both to the DirectSound output plug-in, and successfully got them both to play at the same time. So I'd suggest getting that there 2.5 plug-in. (Please confirm that it works for you, though.)

[Edited by Winsane on 12-26-2000 at 02:28 AM]
Old 20th October 2000, 09:37   #6
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Winsane -

I'm not sure if the WMA plugin itself actually changed between Winamp 2.5 and Winamp 2.60, but using the logic that the latest non-crippled plugin would be the safest bet, shouldn't we just recommend using the WMA plugin from version 2.60?

(Hey, there's a mind-numbing project: compile a table showing which specific input and output plugin versions were included with each Winamp release).

Anyway, for people who just don't want to screw around with WMA plugins or DirectSound, here are links to standalone programs that can transform WMA files into something normal:

Cool Decode v2.0, which is available here:

http://www.quinqsoft.com/

... and Shuffler Music Converter, which is available here:

http://www.illustrate.org/music-converter.htm

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited October 20, 2000).]
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2000, 09:53   #7
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Well, okay, but I think a while ago I compared file sizes and check sums of the 2.5e and 2.6 in_wm.dlls, and they were exactly the same. Of course, my memory might be failing me by now, and I don't feel like going to the trouble of checking again, but, um, whatever.
Old 20th October 2000, 10:07   #8
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Winsane -

Sorry, I didn't know you had already compared them. You are probably correct about them being identical, since the Winamp history doesn't mention any WMA improvements between versions 2.50 and 2.60. As always, please disregard my unresearched, nitpicky babblings.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited October 21, 2000).]
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2000, 01:40   #9
KRICHARDS

I just downloaded Winamp 2.6 from http://www.winampheaven.com and got the in_wma.dll file from that and it works. I would recommend using this version because the audio sounds a little cleaner to me; sometimes with the older version the clarity would be muffled if the winamp window wasn't highlighted. Anyway, this sure was a lot of downloading on my poor little 56K modem! But at least I got to try this new U2 skin / unreleased song that's part of the latest winamp =) hehehe.. i wonder if I'll be able to play the file after the 30 day license has "expired" since I'm using the old dll? hehe =)
Old 22nd October 2000, 04:37   #10
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Woohoo!
No, you won't be able to play it after it expires. So sometime between now and then, if you want to keep the track, you'll have to convert it to a different format (or possibly reconvert it to WMA, if you want), by using the Output Splitter plug-in technique.

[Edited by Winsane on 12-26-2000 at 02:25 AM]
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support