Old 3rd May 2000, 03:43   #1
Fatima

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! last night, winamp was working fine. this afternoon, i keep getting the error "MMSYSTEM007 There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more programs, and then try again." i have tons of memory and i've been all over the system for some app using schloads of memory. can't find anything. this is not a happy thing.

thanks.
Old 3rd May 2000, 05:41   #2
DBX00

I'm having the same problem, I'm looking forward to a reply that gives a solution to this problem
Old 3rd May 2000, 09:01   #3
Blakers

I too am having the exact same problem, can someone please help us?!?!?!
Old 4th May 2000, 00:36   #4
DBX00

I solved my problem by uninstalling it, restarting, reinstalling it and then running the program after you get rid of the agent on the taskbar. You may have to restart after you reinstall it.
Old 4th May 2000, 00:49   #5
MUSICKID

I'm also having the same problem... ever since this new 2.62 version came out ...
i hope they come up with a solution quick..
Old 4th May 2000, 03:56   #6
Fatima

don't know what did it, but everything's fine now. i reinstalled a couple times and everything seems to be fine. try reinstalling and restarting to make sure nothing else is running. seemed to work.
Old 10th May 2000, 22:34   #7
CONFUSED

I started having this problem with 2.61 so I thought maybe 2.62 would fix it. It did the first time I ran it, but now I am having the problem again. Rebooting always fixes it, unless you load a bunch of other programs before running winamp. Seems to me that Winamp may want a specific memory address and something that I am running is taking and not releasing it even when the program is closed and the only way to get it back is to reboot. Does anyone from nullsoft ever respond to messages in this group? Sure would like to know what is going on.
Old 12th May 2000, 05:21   #8
Yardbird

I found the fix searching the web last night. Just select the direct sound
plugin. Goto options, preferences,
plugins, output and select DIRECTSOUND.
Don't know why this fixes things, but
it works. It also lets you play more
than one sound source at once.
Please let me know if this works for you.
Old 17th May 2000, 05:35   #9
help

Quote:
Originally posted by Yardbird:

i tried this and my winamp keeps saying that it could not create a directsound object... what can i do?

<!-- edited out erroneous old ubb code -->

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 08:05 PM]
Old 17th May 2000, 23:09   #10
Doub

i suppose it depends on the version of DirectX you have. try downloading the latest version from www.microsoft.com/directx/ . but it's a really heavy thing to download with a modem connection (6.5 megs).

Doub
Doub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2000, 18:09   #11
Hotkoolaid

Send a message via ICQ to Hotkoolaid
Well, I have several users that couldn't hear their MP3's...and Flash sounds...
According to Symantec tech support, installations of NAV Corporate Editon 7 or updated your Symantec Antivirus product, it might have killed your sounds.
They have a patch BUT the previous posts about DIRECTSOUND option at least work for WinAmp!!

And don't even think about installing Microsoft's Media Player beta 7...it truly takes over your system and is a hog!
But what else is new?

Regards,
Jeff
Hotkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2000, 05:18   #12
help

ok i downloaded the new version of directx and my computer still gives me the error message "Could not create directsound object" can anyone help?
i tried reinstalling and it still doesn't work.
Old 19th May 2000, 05:39   #13
Thunderbolt

Send a message via ICQ to Thunderbolt

you might try this....go to C:\windows\system, find dxdiag.exe and run it
will identify directX problems for you and offer some solutions
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2000, 23:11   #14
help

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderbolt:

you might try this....go to C:\windows\system, find dxdiag.exe and run it
will identify directX problems for you and offer some solutions
ok i ran it and this is what it said..
DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

any ideas on what to do?......

<!-- edited out old erroneous ubb code -->

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 08:08 PM]
Old 21st May 2000, 19:16   #15
Apollo

Ok this error message is not about DirectX
It is "Mci" Microsoft's mci that is
You have an mci device that's calling.
I/e wav play, if your system atemps to play an mp3 or wave device and can't then it may be that it's left hanging and that's why you get the error.
Try to disable all audio play back and reboot and then try winamp.
hope this helps.
Old 31st May 2000, 06:39   #16
Enigma

WOW it's been almost a month since Fatima as ask this question. I've been waiting for the answer my self too. Isn't there any qualified Winamp technicien that couldn't give us the solution.
I've tried most of the tricks people have put on the forum but Damn can we finally have some technical support.
Old 1st June 2000, 01:06   #17
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

the solution is to reboot. if you still have the error when you reboot, update your video and sound card drivers and try again.

also, i run winamp 2.62 on win2000 with norton antivirus corporate version 7 installed. there is no problem.
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2000, 17:53   #18
DiGiTaLdRoPoUt

Ok & this ones a P100 or something & Win95. I was getting all sorts of problems (I have DirectX7 update) & the problems stopped when I reinstalled WINAMP. (I havent started up two win amps yet, & I got rid of the AGENT right away, I'm scared of it now). Im under the impression that WINAMPS not to blame, its partly that unfriendly OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>OUTPUT dialog box, along with the "configure" button.
OPTS>PREFS>DSP/FX : THATS a little Easier, (select NONE, top of dialog box). OPTS>PREFS>INPUT : (configure each INPUT by selecting it, BUT I'm under the impression they're all on. (for ex; selecting Linein://,or Linerec://, is it switching "ON" on that "PLUG" or are all in list on? (The way it's set up does not resemble a mixing console's "mute" button & jack!).
OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>OUTPUT : I HATE! ("select the one you wish to use" (Blue Highlighted) NOT by pressing CONFIGURE ? (No "NONE" option). So I select EITHER DirectSound OR WaveOut as my AudioOutput? (what I'm HEARING, right?), & I select EITHER Diskwriter(.wav)(Choose a directory) OR Mp3 Output(.mp3) to write to disk, (choose a Directory to write to, select mp3formatlayer,Kbps/Khz/stereo-mono)(mp3 convesion sounds crackly at highest gonna write down that geniuses conversion #s from other post & try again, I hope I can find it)(I know one doesn't write to disk from disk, I just cant remember right now there's too much!) Except I don't know when they're off or on & system bogs down, it seems like its writing to disk sometimes, but no file placed directory, IS IT OR ISNT IT WRITING? Does it Unselect itself after writing files? (by pressing stop?). Sometimes it seems like its trying to write & it can't. Does this take a little time to start? (ineedafastacomputa?) When I reinstalled WINAMP the Buffer/Samples & PriorityClass reset, maybe that was part of MY problem, but still having problems when I try to write to HardDrive, somtimes it doesn't, hmm, which brings me to the technical part: Multiple WINAMPS & ONLY ONE "winamp.ini" file, (& didnt find a winamp.bak ; a "reset" (winamp.rst?) might be nice, save reinstalling), please tell me what's going on in there, what happens if I change, for example, only one Winamp; after loading, change another; while system busy playing another (& Inadvertently click on a plugin (effectively selecting it?) to look at my configurations for that plugin), etc.etc. WHEN DOES IT WRITE TO THAT .ini FILE? WHAT ABOUT WHEN MY PROCESSORS TOO BUSY? Rebooting should fix problems if .ini file is cool, otherwise change settings back, close & restart winamp, or if system is unstable reboot. (if system locks up, winamp.ini is where you left it, if you messed your settings, that's what Winamps starting up with or whenever the last time the computer got a chance to interrupt it, if it even did.) (I can Hear you laughin' but theres a lotta people here with GOOD computers & MMSYSTEM & DIRECT OBJECT errors). It would Be Nice (Mr. Ice) If the FAQ had more detail on input/output & errors cause this post is getting long, & I thought I was the only one who needanewcomputa. Lastly a comment on visuals, haven't used them much yet was workin' one minute, not the next, moved the visual window & Winamp's tryin' to make the oscilliscope. (It barely drew osciliscope, I bet the meters would have taken AN HOUR to start on this p100, & I wouldn't have noticed it) (320kbps/44.1kHz mp3files AND vis on a p100? it was workin!). I think the reason there's not much response is cause they don't wanna admit that were all too stupid for this software, or our comps, or with our mouseclicks on the options>preferences, or it's that single winamp.ini, or buffers/samples/priority set too high, or dx7 has a bug, or that they didnt consult an AudioEngineer for setting up an In/PreampEQ Loop/Effects send-return Loop/monitor-in&out/monitor-recording console window, with the in/out config dialog available from there. THIS THING ROCKS UNTIL I'VE HAD A FEW BEERS! P.S. I'm new at this too so give us a break & make the next one more friendly for the average mp3'er. AND it is a forum to help others, so if I help even one person I've done somethin'. AND STOP BLAMIN IT ON THEIR COMPUTERS, mines a Frikkin' P100 with a SoundBlaster16!, & so far all I changed was Samples=32k (it was backskippin' with default setting). I'm not touchin priority class yet, I'm gonna load two instances now, many, many thanx for what is obviously too powerful for us ameteurs. WINAMPS SO HOT IT'S BURNIN' MY COMPUTA! Please Mr. Ice, tell us more about the difference between bufferlength, samples, & priorityclass. WHAT TO TWEAK? (too many questions?) Lets be WINAMPer's PLEEEZE! (p.p.s. thanx for previous tips....I'll Be Back...)
NOTES TO WINAMPERS : 1) Try Update DirectX7, see if that fixes. 2) If your reinstalling & you want to save your AUTO LOAD E.Q. settings save "WINAMP.q2" (in Winamp dir.) (Also you can copy out your plugins, but if theres lots of .dll's in Winamps Dir. & if you don't know which is which, use your recycle bin, set it to big enuff to hold winamp & subdir's, you can reinstall after.)

<!-- also tidied post up a bit -->

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 08:33 PM]
Old 2nd June 2000, 17:47   #19
matei goga

this really worked, I don't know why either.

thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally posted by help:

i tried this and my winamp keeps saying that it could not create a directsound object... what can i do?

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 08:16 PM]
Old 2nd June 2000, 18:18   #20
Cannon__Fodder

Send a message via ICQ to Cannon__Fodder

my eyes are streaming - heard of paragraphs?!

Cannon__Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2000, 20:29   #21
rabies

I was getting this mmsystem007 not enough memory error and I tried pretty much everything. The only thing that worked was finally I set my priority class down (options/prefs/options) and the sucker played right away, didnt even have to restart.
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2000, 06:49   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sheesh kebabs !

DigitalDropout's fried my brain
Fried Egg, geddit ?!?

Could you possibly edit your post above so that it makes a bit more sense. Paragraphs with spaces would be a start. Then we might have a bit of a better chance of understanding your input and answering your questions.

Are there still people having problems with this MMSYSTEM007 problem? I've not experienced it myself, sounds like a job for James Bond to me But seriously . . . let's see if I can make a few suggestions that might help.

MMSYSTEM relates to Multi Media System.
Therefore, this is clearly a soundcard / drivers related issue.

R.U. running multiple instances of Winamp ?
Goto Winamp "Options -> Prefs -> Options" and uncheck this particular option. Maybe your (old) SoundCard doesn't support this feature? Though you should first try using the DirectSound output instead of WaveOut for this option to work.

At the bottom of this same options box, set the priority class to normal.

"Plug-ins -> Output" Options:
Your Output plug-in should be set to Nullsoft WaveOut. Do this by single clicking on it. Then click "Configure" and check to see what output device is being used. It should be set to the default "Wave Mapper", but you might want to try changing this to the one that resembles your sound card. [eg. I have a SoundBlaster SBAWE64, so I've set mine to SB64 WaveOut].

Also make sure the plugin's priority is not set too high.

Exit Winamp in between each major config change and start again. It's possible that a refresh is required first.

Your soundcard must support DirectX if you want to use the Direct Sound Output. Many old types probably don't !
WinNT users can forget about it totally, as this particular OS doesn't support any DX higher than v4 ?!?!
Really, you should be running v7 (or higher) for best quality performance.

Re: DirectX related problems
Run The DirectX troubleshooter [C:\Windows\System\DXDiag.exe], any further problems then goto the DirectX support section @ support.microsoft.com

Even better, try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q178/6/77.ASP

Have you got any unnecessary programs running, either in the systray or in the background?
More importantly, are any of these MultiMedia type programs that may also be using the soundcard?
eg: RealPlayer is a bugger for this. If the Real Start Center icon is visible in your systray, r-click on it and select "Close Start Center".

Apart from all this, the only other options you have are to get the latest drivers update for both your video and sound cards, or better still, get yourself a brand new full duplex soundcard which supports multiple audio streams (eg. SBLive -or- Diamond Monster MultiMedia MMX -or- latest Guillemot -or- TurtleBeach SantaCruz, etc)

If you have a shabby onboard integrated soundchip, then you should definitely consider getting a proper soundcard.

However, I've noticed that most of the problems above seem to be related to WinAmp v2.62, so maybe you should try upgrading to the latest version
<!-- 2.65 at the time of writing; 2.76 at the time of latest edit -->

If you've still got this problem and none of the above suggestions provide the cure, then leave a new message below and we'll dig even deeper ! [Like, into the Win.ini; system.ini; config.sys files; the MultiMedia & System CPL's; Registry etc etc.]
Gee, tho' I hope not . . . pleazzzze !!!

More tips below. Infact, you should probably read this whole thread backwards, by starting at the bottom & working your way to the top.

Thus ends yet another mini novel

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by DJEgg on 06-22-2001 at 08:12 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2000, 15:51   #23
otto

I have been trying to play MP3 music Cds with the Winamp 2.64.
I have the Asus K7V which has sound on board. For some reason I can play normal music CDs but I can't play any MP3 files. Does this have anything to do with the K7V board or with Winamp ?

I always get the error message:

Nullsoft WaveOut plugin 2.02

"MMSYSTEM032 Format is not supported or can't be translated. Please check the option "functions" to see which formats are supported".

Can't the Audio onboard controller translate MP3 files? Do I need an extra sound card to be able to listen to other formats?

Thank you very much for any response to my question.

Björn
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2000, 02:15   #24
zenon

Well i had that problem start yesterday and hadn't got it to work until reading this post. but the funny thing was i tried the directsound plug-in before but it didn't work and then i just tried it again and it worked again.
So if you get "can't create Directsound object" restart and try again.
thats all i can say to help

------------------
-Zenon
"The End Justifies
the Means"
zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2000, 03:32   #25
glennjr15

Thanks rabies, your fix worked. you da bomb!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rabies:
I was getting this mmsystem007 not enough memory error and I tried pretty much everything. The only thing that worked was finally I set my priority class down (options/prefs/options) and the sucker played right away, didnt even have to restart.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 08:35 PM]
glennjr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2000, 07:01   #26
MassiveAsstack

Just to tell everybody, switching the output to DirectSound affects your computer's performance, b/c instead of utilizing your sound card's hardware, it utilizes software encoding. Thus more of your system resources are used up. I recommend finding another solution. stick with the wave mapper
MassiveAsstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2000, 19:38   #27
MassiveAsstack

Yesterday, i came upon a solution for my MMsystem007 problem. Evidently, my Call waiting modem was mapped on com 5, and for some reason, it affected my soundcard's configuration at some startups. After mapping it to a free COM port, the MMsystem007 problem dissapeared. . To check if you have this same problem, go into your system's BIOS at startup and check your IRQ settings to see which com ports are reserved. If COM 5 is reserved, i recommend changing it to com 3. AS i posted before, changing WInamp's plugin to direct sound is not a good solution since it uses more of your processing power instead of your soundcard's full capabilities.
MassiveAsstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2000, 03:43   #28
sspan

Hey Guys!
I think I found a solution for the MMSYSTEM007 "Not enough memory problem".
I have a Soundblaster PCI 128 sound card and after spending more than 5
hours trying to solve the problem, I decided to update my sound card's drivers and...
VOILA!!! Winamp has been performing without any problems since.
I hope this informaion will help someone with the same problem!
By the way: I tried every single trick was posted in this forum and none of them worked...
(for the drivers go to www.soundblaster.com
sspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2000, 05:06   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, but updating the soundcard drivers was already mentioned above !?!?
Old 8th September 2000, 12:51   #30
sspan

You're right...
I meant every OTHER trick, but the only one that worked was the drivers' update. Iknow I should have done that at the first place but I got a bit lost with all these suggestions!
sspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2000, 19:03   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Cool !
Well at least now we know.

All my suggestions above were mere speculation seeing I've never actually experienced this error message myself.

Ya hear that everybody, update your soundcard drivers, okay !
Old 10th October 2000, 00:16   #32
Goa303

Argh... No!
It's NOT a ram problem, like everybody suggesting a reboot, more ram, etc. tend to think.
The DX fix (using DX instead of MM) is actually NOT a fix: it's just a workaround: you're using DX instead of the MM ressources. For those suggesting running less programs in the BG, adding more ram, etc. This WON'T do it either. This is actually a problem with windows (big surprise uh ?) that happens when some multimedia components are missing or damaged, or are the wrong version of the file. You can have this error message and still have 70% of your computer ressources free!!! Go the support site of microsoft (knowledge base) and enter this error message (MMSYSTEM007 Not enough blablabla). This is a (tedious) solution to the problem...

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 08:53 PM]
Old 10th October 2000, 00:19   #33
Goa303

Oups Sorry for quoting that much on my previous message...
Old 10th October 2000, 08:31   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, so ya should be !
But that's ok, I've edited it all out now anyway.

That epic post of mine was made 4 months ago and was one of my first !
I know myself now that some, but not all, of the suggestions are N/A.
Cheers for reminding me !
In fact, I feel like deleting the whole f***ing thing !

Best things to do:

1. Go to Add/Rem Programs Control Panel -> Windows Setup tab
MultiMedia Components -> Details
Make sure Audio & Video compression, plus MediaPlayer, are all checkmarked
If not, place Win CD-ROM in drive & let Windows do its thing
(nb. you might have to uncheck then recheck all these, okaying everything inbetween)

2. Multimedia Control Panel -> Devices tab (Advanced tab in Win95)
Under : Media Devices & Audio Codecs
Hi-lite each one in turn, click Properties & make sure they are enabled.
<!-- VCR & Laserdisk = only if you have them -->

3. Reinstall latest version of drivers for soundcard

For DirectX / DirectSound problems
4. Install DirectX v7+ ASAP

None of 1-4 works ?
Trash your shit soundcard & get a new one.
Still no joy, trash your shit pc & get a new one.

Winamp related configuration tips = still the same as above:
Prefs -> Options : Priority Class = Normal
Prefs -> Plugins : Priority = Normal
Prefs -> Output : WaveOut & DirectSound configs : see all tips above.
etc etc etc.

Nice name btw -> Goa303
I take it you're in to goa trance & acid 303 tweaks etc, maybe ?!?!
TIP Records were always my faves, though I rarely listen to 'em any more.
I've grown weary of the boring old hat 4 to da floor stuff !
In the same way I've grown weary of this rasclat thread !

Laterz -> Egg.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 09:02 PM]
Old 11th October 2000, 06:45   #35
Goa303

:-) Yeah, TIP, Matsuri, Phonokol, Flying Rhino, Dragon Fly, Blue Room, etc. etc. I really like goa psy (and those kind of raves too, been to fusion, in a forest near San Francisco, that's the kind of party I like) I also love synths, sound design and processing (have a studio at home: I managed to buy my dream machine too www.symbolicsound.com ). So yeah, u were right !
Old 27th October 2000, 18:18   #36
kevin234234234

worked great!

Quote:
Originally posted by Yardbird:

[edited out old erroneous ubb code]

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-18-2000 at 08:02 PM]
Old 5th February 2001, 04:03   #37
Dave Graves

MMSYSTEM 007

I recently encountered the MMSYSTEM 007 failure.
When Winamp would fail, Real Player would also fail with a similar memory message. Interestingly, MS Media player would not fail.
I tried every fix I found posted in the forums and everything in http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q178/6/77.ASP.
I tried reloading Win98, and all my multimedia players.
Nothing worked.
About the time the problem started, I had replaced McAfee Virus Scan with Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition.
I disabled Norton and re-enabled McAfee and the MMSYSTEM007 problem has not recurred.

[edited MS Support url by removing erroneous full stop at end. It works now]

[Edited by DJEgg on 05-25-2001 at 10:56 PM]
Dave Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2001, 18:02   #38
crystal

OK, guys I have actually checked out everything that was mentioned before just like Dave Graves, and the problem is still wasn't solved. (OK, I haven't checked out DirectSound, because I wouldn't think that would be the right solution as I have experienced the same problem with media player, and realplayer as well).
However, Dave and Hotkoolaid gave me the idea that something about the Virus killers could be the problem, so I disabled McAfee's Virus Scan's VShield as well, and it seems to work perfectly. However, it's still not the best solution, so maybe we should make a bug report to McAfee as well.
crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2001, 11:24   #39
goldspark

From pan to the fire.

hi buddies,
I used to have the MMsysten007 problem. I have tried the Direct Sound suggested by Kelvin successfully. However,ever since I can't get the player to play my playlist(MP3) continously. I have to click the "play next song" button everytime a song finishes. Anybody out there can offer some help?
goldspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2001, 05:58   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

My gawd, this is a bit of an ancient thread. I remember it well.
Where did ya dig this one up from? TSGH perchance?

Anyway . . . Goldspark dude

Prefs -> Options : uncheck "manual playlist advance"

mmsystem007 : not enough memory to remember this
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support