Old 5th November 2000, 04:53   #1
Godfather00

I know to spawn a new window you hit ctrl+alt+n but i get the message that winamp performed an illigal action and will be shut down, this happens when I'm playing or not. But apparently it opens the new window and the original is closed. If I go to the preferences and check the allow multiple instances box I get the same message. So what might be my problem?
Godfather00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2000, 05:10   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What is the exact error message ?
Is there any more info in the "Details" tab ?

Could you please also provide your sys specs.
See this thread for details.

[Edited by Jayn on 12-20-2000 at 12:11 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2000, 05:23   #3
Godfather00

sorry,
ok the message is the usual performed illegal action gonna shut down th program, if it persists contact vendor. Oh and it keeps playing if I don't hit close in the error window. The details are at least the first three lines the rest is registers: and eax stuff not sure what that is, otherwise
WINAMP caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff886e7.

it's been happening since I think v2.56 for me at least so I thought it migt be fixed next time I upgraded, well it diddn't fix when I got v2.666. I'm using a Dell P3 500, 128mb ram, Riva TNT 1, and a 320 voice Turtle Beach sound card.

[This message has been edited by Godfather00 (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old 6th November 2000, 08:10   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, your sys specs seem fine, more than adequate !

Invalid page faults in kernel32.dll are usually caused by poorly written software components that try to use the same upper memory space as the kernel itself. Kernel32.dll is the main Windows core component, akin to the brain.
It's very unlikely that Winamp itself is to blame, but it's much more likely that this error is being caused by a potentially dodgy 3rd party plug-in that you may have installed.
Have you installed any such plug-ins and, if so, have you possibly got an idea as to which one might be the guilty party ?
If you use the forum search facility, you'll find about 30 or so references to kernel32.dll related problems. Just type in "kernel32.dll" as the search phrase and change the drop down menu to "Search all forums & archives".
Here's a few links to some of the most relevant threads:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=23474

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=23672

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31336

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=23579

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=24969

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=25683

Basically, most people recommend totally uninstalling Winamp, then re-installing either the latest available version or the last version they had that they didn't have any problems with.
All versions are available at :
www.winampheaven.com

If uninstalling, be sure to back up any extra skins, (safe) plugins, plus any saved EQ presets [q1 | q2 | eqf files] & the Winamp bookmarks list if relevant [winamp.bm].
All these files can be found in the Winamp folder or its subdirectories.
In most cases, removing the guilty plugin/s [*_*.DLL] and all references to them from the winamp.ini & plugin.ini files will solve your problem. Some people even say that deleting the winamp.ini file [from Winamp dir] also solves the problem. This causes a new ini file to be created next time you open Winamp and restores Winamp to all the default settings.

There is also an extensive article at http://support.microsoft.com that's well worth checking out and I also believe that there's an updated kernel available . . . maybe you need this ?!?!

It has also been known that certain viruses cause illegal operation errors.
Maybe you should run your AV program to check All Files (make sure you have the latest signature DAT files)

Hope this helps & best of luck !

-------
DJ-Egg

[Edited by Jayn on 12-20-2000 at 12:22 PM]
Old 6th November 2000, 20:35   #5
Godfather00

thanks, I do have some visualisation plugins that diddn't work when I installed them, I'll try getting rid of those and if that doesnt work I'll check those links and that updated kernel.
Old 21st December 2000, 04:14   #6
souljah

it worked

i reinstalled it awhile ago, and now it works.. still i dont think it was crashin because of a plugin, because i never had any of them running when i closed winamp itself.. just a messed up prob i guess...
souljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2001, 11:55   #7
MUSICWOMAN

Re: it worked

Quote:
Originally posted by souljah
i reinstalled it awhile ago, and now it works.. still i dont think it was crashin because of a plugin, because i never had any of them running when i closed winamp itself.. just a messed up prob i guess...
I reinstalled 2.74 TWICE, and even deleted the winamp file that is hidden, and the winamp.ini folder, and let a new one be created, and 2.74 just kept crashing. This happens every so often with a new winamp. I usually wait for the newer edition to come out again, then I will upgrade. When this kernel 32 keeps happening, I go back to the previous version of winamp, from winampheaven, and that solves the problem. Hmmm, if it isn't the new version of winamp that keeps crashing, and it's fault, how come puttting back the older version SOLVES the problem? Sometimes, when a new program is written, a line of code can get things messed up, unintentionally. MUSICWOMAN
MUSICWOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2001, 17:17   #8
souljah

heh, ive since gotten the older version of winamp.. but it doesnt matter anymore since i now use sonique exclusively.. its much better anyways... 8)
souljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2001, 22:06   #9
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
You like Sonique better than WinAmp?

That is even more stupid than the things people say in the stories on the site my sig links to!
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2001, 01:20   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Argghhh . . .
A Sonique (pap) affiliate posting in one of my TSGH links . . .
how dare you!
Maybe I should just delete this entire thread, eh?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support